• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Cinematic Universe |OT| Superfriends with Benefits

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadAss2961

Shocked? Not at all. Disappointed? Definitely, other than the short run by Ales Kot, N52 Suicide Squad is hot garbage.
The picture he posted looks like the first issue of the New 52 series, which is actually pretty good. I'd love it if the movie starts the way it does in the comic; with Waller secretly testing their obedience through torture, while also revealing a bit of each member's backstory.

Reading John's run on Aquaman, actually really good (I'm extremely picky even with recommendations). I love how they address the elephant in the room with humor. They should definitely do the same thing in the movie.

Rooster12

Reading John's run on Aquaman, actually really good (I'm extremely picky even with recommendations). I love how they address the elephant in the room with humor. They should definitely do the same thing in the movie.

My favorite New 52 book.

Peter David's run is pretty good too.

tim1138

Don't stop when Johns leaves and Jeff Parker takes over, it stays outstanding.

Penguin

B88wLDAIUAMKu2p.jpg:large

Ayer is showing us more in pre-pre production than Synder did during production

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/562721450365558785

@DavidAyerMovies looks like DEADSHOT tools.
https://twitter.com/DCMovieFeed/status/562722474232909827

@DCMovieFeed No sir. Deadshot gets the really good stuff.
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/562723974124421121

DaveH

Ayer is showing us more in pre-pre production than Synder did during production
Maybe elsewhere in prior tweets, but not here... I don't think this is pre-production, I think he may simply be enjoying or researching guns. This is sort of like the tweet of the playing card stuck in foam and people going nuts connecting it to Joker.

Penguin

Maybe elsewhere in prior tweets, but not here... I don't think this is pre-production, I think he may simply be enjoying or researching guns. This is sort of like the tweet of the playing card stuck in foam and people going nuts connecting it to Joker.

Oh I know it is

Probably how they sound/react
What would make sense to carry

But showing us a bit of his process.

strafer

Ryan Reynolds on 'Green Lantern' Struggles: I Didn't Read the Script First
Ryan Reynolds is helping to explain what may have gone wrong with Green Lantern.

The actor recently spoke to Yahoo Movies, and he was asked what his experience on the 2011 superhero film taught him as he prepares for his starring role in Fox's upcoming Deadpool.

"Well, script," he said. "When we shot Green Lantern, nobody auditioning for the role of Green Lantern was given the opportunity to read the script because the script didn’t exist."

"I’m not complaining about it — it was an opportunity of a lifetime, and if I were to go back and retrace my steps, I would probably do everything the exact same way," Reynolds continued diplomatically. "But script, that’s what’s different on this one." He pointed out that the Deadpool screenplay has been in place for quite some time.

Reynolds' take on Green Lantern earned $219 million and was considered by fans to be a disappointment. Warner Bros. is rebooting the DC Comics character for a 2020 film.
Deadpool is slated for a February 2016 release.

I hope Deadpool works out for him, he seems genuinely excited about it.

Not that I'm hoping it fails, just that it seems Deadpool is one of the harder heroes to make work. A lot of his humor seems to be breaking the fourth wall and mocking other marvel characters that are playing the straight man.That and the rumored R rating (though I'm sure they'll cave into PG13) makes me think it will difficult to pull off.

Just watched Hancock for the first time, was a pretty good movie for the first half then kind of lost steam. Loved the whale toss , that's the kind of humor I want to see in Shazam. Also enjoyed Will's performance, I think he'll do just fine as Deadshot.

Rooster12

Don't remember Shazam having that kind of humor....

He always seems more like a serious guy, doesn't really joke around that much.

Interesting that DC's new comics are falling in line with their movie properties. Justice League Dark is being renamed Dark Universe, similar to Del Toro's project name, Cyborg is getting a solo series and a movie, Shazam is likely getting a series as well. Seems DC is hitting full throttle.

Odoul

Before the regime change Warner had this odd obsession with a Lobo movie. Over a Superman reboot or Flash or Green Lantern or Wondie..

It's not slated now.

But with Black Dynamite being dead, A MJW/Carl Jones Lobo flick could be absolutely insane. And packed to the brim with the humor everyone swears the DC movies are missing out on by not having.

IconGrist

Anyone else weirded out by all the Marvel production threads? I don't recall a single production thread recently for any other movie or tv show outside of Marvel. Not just comic related. Usually the announcement thread just becomes the home of discussion moving forward up until an OT is made.

Anyone else weirded out by all the Marvel production threads? I don't recall a single production thread recently for any other movie or tv show outside of Marvel. Not just comic related. Usually the announcement thread just becomes the home of discussion moving forward up until an OT is made.

It does seem like a relatively new thing.

Yeah, it's odd. I think it's because they had that mega announcement thread, and they could hardly have movie-specific discussions in that.

Penguin

It is a fervish fanbase...
A bit insane and passionate.

Yeah, it's odd. I think it's because they had that mega announcement thread, and they could hardly have movie-specific discussions in that.

There's a system in place for that
New news= new threads

and they have a general MCU thread here to discuss anything between themselves.

One of the reasons I started this thread was so we wouldn't have a ton of general DC discussion threads

It turns people off to you

Loxley

We've got a production thread for the Warcraft movie, so that's something :)

Anyway, I don't think it's weird there are so many Marvel threads considering the MCU's ridiculous success and popularity right now. More people are into Marvel's characters than ever before, so naturally it's going to generate a lot of discussion - especially considering the 6,000 different MCU projects Disney has going on right now.

I doubt it'll ever be this way for DC on GAF, even if the movies are good. DC are the Samsung of the comic book world, they get plenty of things right, but when they get something wrong people do not let it go and would rather focus on the screw-ups than the accomplishments. It's a bummer since makes the conversations in DC vs. Marvel threads come off as woefully one-sided and not much fun to take part in.

scabro

The CW show threads/ Arrow universe threads get a fair amount of attention.

I think the thing is that DC doesn't have an integrated TV/Movie universe. Thats a big part of why Marvel gets all the attention it does. And Marvel is clearly already mid swing while DC is just loading up.

Penguin

We've got a production thread for the Warcraft movie, so that's something :)

Anyway, I don't think it's weird there are so many Marvel threads considering the MCU's ridiculous success and popularity right now. More people are into Marvel's characters than ever before, so naturally it's going to generate a lot of discussion - especially considering the 6,000 different MCU projects Disney has going on right now.

I doubt it'll ever be this way for DC on GAF, even if the movies are good. DC are the Samsung of the comic book world, they get plenty of things right, but when they get something wrong people do not let it go and would rather focus on the screw-ups than the accomplishments. It's a bummer since makes the conversations in DC vs. Marvel threads come off as woefully one-sided and not much fun to take part in.

Eh I think the DC interest is spread more widely.

Like Arrow/The Flash threads do much better than SHIELD/Carter, but you don't need to keep up with Constantine or Gotham so you don't have to be a fan of like all 4 threads.

This thread is slow because only movie we have is BvS and there's a thread for that. Sure, it will be a bit more active once other movies start forming...

Speaking of, more from Mr. Ayer

B9fSGOmCQAAyxrA.jpg:large

#skwad rough concepts

https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/565151287143313408

Maddocks

suicide squad is going to be amazing.

Don't worry people, one day we will live in a world where no one had fights over marvel vs DC. Who am I kidding that's going to be around forever.

Where are those dumbasses on gaf that said Shazam doesn't take place in the same universe as the other DC heroes. The Rock just re-confirmed it does which should be obvious to anyone.

Loxley

Where are those dumbasses on gaf that said Shazam doesn't take place in the same universe as the other DC heroes. The Rock just re-confirmed it does which should be obvious to anyone.

There's a little part in all of our brains that wants to believe rumors we hear are true - especially if said rumors being true would reinforce pre-conceived notions and opinions. Up to this point, many people have felt that WB is screwing up their DC movies because of incompetence and lack of direction. So whenever a new rumor about the DCCU comes out and it's vaguely negative (like the "no jokes" and Shazam rumors), those people are far more likely to believe those rumors because it backs up their preconceptions about WB/DC being run by morons.

DaveH

"Will Smith shares intel on casting Rick Flagg"
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/02/10/will-smith-rick-flagg-suicide-squad/23194447/

"This happens all the time," says Robbie. "People act like, 'Oh my god, the movie must be ending!' It's just the deal with movies." Not to mention "a lot of the characters haven't been portrayed before so it's a pretty big undertaking," she adds. "And it's a big undertaking for the people who are going to play the characters who have been played, like the Joker (to be played by Jared Leto). It's big shoes to fill."

But why is Flagg, a plum role, so hard to cast? There are a lot of factors at play, says Smith. Director David Ayer "turned the screenplay in before Christmas. What happens is Hollywood shuts down. But he was still working and he wanted to (start shooting) April 13th. So it takes a couple weeks to gear back up at the top of the year and people have taken (other) movies. He's moving really quickly."

Robbie nods. "It's almost impossible to get a movie all together when there are two main cast members, let alone an ensemble cast with everyone's schedules. It's crazy if it works out."

Gotta say, I'm feeling better about the Will Smith casting after reading the quote in that "I hate Will Smith" thread (talk about a backfire). Sounds like he might have been humbled a little, maybe he's willing to play the role less like Standard Will Smith.

Sounds like a mix between new 52 and pre 52 origins. I disliked how new 52 made him
assumedly kill his nephew for the power
but I liked the slave aspect. By the way it sounds, the tragedy will happen after he gets his powers instead of before, like pre 52.

Really hope this isn't the Rock just rattling off stuff he thinks sounds cool. I find it hard to believe they have the story beats done for a film that won't arrive until 4 years from now. Unless the rumors were true that it was initially slated for 2016.

suicide squad is going to be amazing.

Don't worry people, one day we will live in a world where no one had fights over marvel vs DC. Who am I kidding that's going to be around forever.

The comic community thread is actually pretty devoid of any conflict. Though you won't find much discussion of the movies.

Gotta say, I'm feeling better about the Will Smith casting after reading the quote in that "I hate Will Smith" thread (talk about a backfire). Sounds like he might have been humbled a little, maybe he's willing to play the role less like Standard Will Smith.

tbh standard will smith would still kill it. people seem to forget how much charisma the man had when he was given a decent role.

it will be nice to see him play somebody with a bit of a bad edge to him though finally.

tbh standard will smith would still kill it. people seem to forget how much charisma the man had when he was given a decent role.

it will be nice to see him play somebody with a bit of a bad edge to him though finally.

Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd do it well, but he'd definitely downplay the villainous elements. Now I think we'll get a much more nuanced performance.

Maddocks

Will Smith will kill it because he knows he has to kill it. With the group of talent around him he knows he has to step it up.

Eh I think the DC interest is spread more widely.

Like Arrow/The Flash threads do much better than SHIELD/Carter, but you don't need to keep up with Constantine or Gotham so you don't have to be a fan of like all 4 threads.

This thread is slow because only movie we have is BvS and there's a thread for that. Sure, it will be a bit more active once other movies start forming...

Speaking of, more from Mr. Ayer

B9fSGOmCQAAyxrA.jpg:large

The more time goes by, the more faith I have in David Ayer. With each tweet I see his inner fan boy grow a little... It's really encouraging as a fan to see so much enthusiasm from such a talented directed. This movie will kick ass....

Will Smith will kill it because he knows he has to kill it. With the group of talent around him he knows he has to step it up.

I really hope he kills it in the acting sense and not in the literal "kills the movie" sense. The rumors of Hardy leaving makes me wonder if it was due to him being demanding changes on the script or something. Apparently it's rumored that he has a bad reputation of having a big ego on set, even so much as to holding big productions hostage if he doesn't get his way. Maybe it's the inner pessimist in me that thinks I can't have nice things... I just want this universe to happen...

Part of me still can't believe we'll get a Batman V Superman movie... Man that trailer is going to so epic! Even if it's just the Comic-Con teaser in HD.

Maddocks

Yeah, Will Smith will bring his A game when I say kill it. I also think Tom left because the reasons he gave, that his movie is going a little over schedule and it conflicts.

3N16MA

Banned
Where do the solo Batman and Superman films fit in all of this? I hope it is not too long before a solo Batman film.

Interested to see what Affleck can do with it as I would assume he would have more control.

Loxley

Where do the solo Batman and Superman films fit in all of this? I hope it is not too long before a solo Batman film.

Interested to see what Affleck can do with it as I would assume he would have more control.

I could have sworn there was a rumor not too long ago that a solo Batman film based off of the recent Court of Owls arc was in the works for a release after Justice League. Which I would be all for, as someone who's ready for WB to move on from the Frank Miller wank-fest that's been going on lately. Either way, have a feeling that WB will have a major presence at Comic-Con this year and s whole bunch of DCCU stuff will get announced.

Start the panel off with the teaser trailer for BvS and then pull a Marvel and unveil a bunch of logos and titles for the upcoming films (Suicide Squad, Justice League, Batman solo film, etc).

It was my understanding that both a solo Batman and solo Superman movie were being planned before 2020, just nothing set in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom