• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Comics announces new imprint Dark Matter with six new books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shingi70

Banned
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/04/20/artists-take-center-stage-as-dc-introduces-dark-matter

Retailers had a front-row seat at Chicago’s C2E2 today when DC Publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee unveiled six new DC Universe titles under the banner Dark Matter, partnering the most acclaimed artists in the industry with award-winning writers. Beginning this August, under the guidance of iconic artists Greg Capullo, Andy Kubert, Jim Lee and John Romita Jr., DC will launch new titles THE SILENCER, SIDEWAYS, IMMORTAL MEN, DAMAGE, NEW CHALLENGERS, with characters from each of these series first appearing in the previously announced DARK NIGHTS: METAL.

So in August DC Comics's first big event since Rebirth started will launch. Titled metal its' going to be a Rock and Roll take across the past, present, and future of the DC Universe with Batman and the Justice League at the forefront.

Spinning out of this event is the Dark Matter imprint a team up of some of the greatest artist in the the industry with some of the greatest writers.

The creators

33.jpg

and the books

THE SILENCER
Debuting in September
Written by Dan Abnett with art by John Romita Jr.
Honor Guest was the world’s deadliest assassin, until she traded it all for a chance at a “normal” life in the suburbs, free from the constant death and destruction. But as her former life comes back to haunt her, Honor must strip away her suburban persona and protect her family as THE SILENCER.

SIDEWAYS
Debuting in September
Written by Dan DiDio and Justin Jordan with art by Kenneth Rocafort
Forever changed by the events of DARK NIGHTS: METAL, a teenager struggles to live through high school as he comes in contact with Dark Matter and gains the power to teleport through the Dark Dimension. But each leap brings the new hero one step closer to succumbing to the allure of his new power and its dark origins.

NEW CHALLENGERS
Debuting in December
Written by Scott Snyder with art by Andy Kubert
Characters live on borrowed time, running from death toward the greatest mysteries, wonders and terrors of the universe! It’s a new cast, new mission, but in conversation with the history and greatness of the original Challengers of the Unknown. The story starts with Challengers Mountain returning after having been missing for years, and only gets wilder from there…

DAMAGE
Debuting in October
Written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel
Ethan Avery only wanted to serve his country, but promises of becoming the ultimate weapon leave the new recruit living a nightmare. Cursed with the ability to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time, Ethan only wants to live out his life in peace. But if he can tame the monster inside, it might just be able to do more good for the country than Ethan ever expected.

IMMORTAL MEN
Debuting in October
Written by James Tynion IV with art by Jim Lee
Born at the dawn of time, five siblings find that with eternal life comes eternal war. As the forces of destruction march into the modern world, they operate from the shadows, recruiting the elite against the foes who seek to bring about Armageddon. They are humankind’s hope sprung eternal….they are the IMMORTAL MEN.

Like the Young Animal Line of books all these are in Universe and have been described as the new era of DC characters. It looks hot and it's a good time to be a fan of DC and comics in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRBM-yCEOt8&t=10s

"good time to be a fan of DC comics"

I feel this way every day and have been for several years :>
Can't wait, Young Animal is so good!

Idk, I think they could run longer than 7 issues. Young Animal hasn't lost a book yet.

I wonder if it will even take that long for Jim Lee and Rocafort to drop off their titles.

Look, either Immortal Men loses Lee 5-7 issues in or experiences massive delays foreverrrrr

Your choice.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I've been digging the Young Animal books, so I can get down on this. DC is killing my pull list budget. Had to pick up like 7 books from them this week.

It's exciting to see new characters, and several of these sound like they could be great! The only one that doesn't interest me is Damage.

Busty

Banned
I think these imprints are absolutely ingenious of DC and, along with Young Animal and Wildstorm, are exactly what to they need to try and expand their audience and grow new properties and titles.

I've been wondering what DC had in store for Challengers Of The Unknown and I'm glad to see that they are finally doing something with it. I'm not sure about the other titles but I'm liking the look of The Immortal Men.

Seeing as Warners cast their eye over everything DC with regards to film & TV I wonder if any of these titles caught their eye yet?

Fury451

Banned
Honestly Damage and Immortal Men are the only ones I would probably be interested in reading, but overall DC has been absolutely killing it with their output of new or just quality books

Machine

DAMAGE
Debuting in October
Written by Robert Venditti with art by Tony S. Daniel
Ethan Avery only wanted to serve his country, but promises of becoming the ultimate weapon leave the new recruit living a nightmare. Cursed with the ability to unleash an unstoppable monster for one hour at a time, Ethan only wants to live out his life in peace. But if he can tame the monster inside, it might just be able to do more good for the country than Ethan ever expected.

Not my Damage!

latest

MC_Hify

‘Diversity' Becomes Hot Topic at DC DARK MATTER Press Event

DIDIO SAYS DARK MATTER IS THE FIRST STEP IN DIVERSIFYING THE DCU

Capullo also spoke about representation, explaining that, as a kid, the idea of others wanting to see themselves reflected in comic books didn't occur to him - but when confronted with the concept, it clicked with him because of his love of professional wrestling.

"Bruno Sammartino was the World Heavyweight Champion when I was growing up, and he's a fellow Italiano," he explained. "That was a big thing for me - it was like a pride thing, because he was like a superhero, you know?"

"In that regard, I think it's a cool thing, because then you have that moment where they get that, that's their Bruno Sammartino. They can relate to that - that's one of us."
So if letting diverse characters organically grow out of the story is an important factor for Dark Matter, then why not have a more diverse lineup of creators? Why not, one reporter asked, have more women working on these books? DiDio said that at this first phase of expansion, DC was ”Counting on folks who have a track record to do this for us." The publisher is betting that big name artists who have already move big numbers in comic shops will give Dark Matter its best chance for initial success. But that doesn't mean a more diverse roster of creators won't be coming onto DC titles and even Dark Matter titles in the future.

Both DiDio and Lee pointed at the company's new talent workshop pushes as a place where more new and diverse creators will funnel into the line – including many women. With the four assembled artists leading DC's new ”Master Class" initiative, the skills and experience of the veterans will ideally help newer talent learn the ropes quicker.

Overall, readers should think of Dark Matter as ”the first stage in a long plan to expand the company's appeal and the marketplace...not just the DCU" DiDio said. He promised that in the months ahead, even more new titles and ideas would be coming that would include a very diverse talent lineup – at one point citing creators like ”Supergirl: Being Super" artist Joëlle Jones as the kind of person that will be seen more and more in the future of DC's line.

I actually enjoyed the new 52 challengers book, but I really want that Shazam ongoing :(.

If even one of these new IP's stick that would be great, like Hitman did from bloodlines.

Sesha

So we have edgy Hulk, radical Spider-Man, and a couple of edgy original-ish characters like Killspeed (speed + power = Killspeed, geddit?) and Christian Cross-Spear Lady. The 90s never ended at DC.

Pointy Bird Man and Ghost Fish look cool, but not enough to read a book with them unless it was really good.

Shame about Jim Lee doing art on Immortal Men. Book sounds interesting and deserves a talented storyteller, not the worse than Rob Liefeld 90s design sensibilities and "Comic panels are just smaller pinups, right?" approach to sequential art of Jim Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom