• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DEA warns of stoned rabbits if Utah passes medical marijuana

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...ned-rabbits-if-utah-passes-medical-marijuana/
Utah is considering a bill that would allow patients with certain debilitating conditions to be treated with edible forms of marijuana. If the bill passes, the state's wildlife may "cultivate a taste" for the plant, lose their fear of humans, and basically be high all the time. That's according to testimony presented to a Utah Senate panel (time stamp 58:00) last week by an agent of the Drug Enforcement Administration.

"I deal in facts. I deal in science," said special agent Matt Fairbanks, who's been working in the state for a decade. He is member of the "marijuana eradication" team in Utah. Some of his colleagues in Georgia recently achieved notoriety by raiding a retiree's garden and seizing a number of okra plants.

Fairbanks spoke of his time eliminating back-country marijuana grows in the Utah mountains, specifically the environmental costs associated with large-scale weed cultivation on public land: "Personally, I have seen entire mountainsides subjected to pesticides, harmful chemicals, deforestation and erosion," he said. "The ramifications to the flora, the animal life, the contaminated water, are still unknown."

Fairbanks said that at some illegal marijuana grow sites he saw "rabbits that had cultivated a taste for the marijuana. ..." He continued: "One of them refused to leave us, and we took all the marijuana around him, but his natural instincts to run were somehow gone."

Story came with a picture of a bunny, no idea if stoned or not, but awwwww cute kawaii:
imrs.php

And next I'll hear James Franco will voice Bugs Bunny.

Hopefully we can handle this in relation to endangered species that would be in trouble while addled.

AJLma

He's basically saying that Marijuana turned a normally hyper-paranoid and anxious rabbit, into a calm, collected, friendly creature.

FStop7

Banned
I...

I don't think that's how it works...

Don't you need to heat the trichomes in order to activate them?

I don't think you can just chew on raw pot plants and get high.

Jenenser

yeah, thats not how it works... theres a reason if you wanna eat weed you have to cook it in butter, milk or any other lipids... thc that isn't bonded to fat will simply not enter the metabolism....

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
The thread already delivered in less than 10 posts lmao. This is ridiculous.

If he deals in facts he would know that THC is heat activated. One could eat an entire plant with pounds of herbs on it and not get stoned.

This is why the plant is

A. Burned.
B. Vaped
C. Cooked into edibles. (The heating of the THC when fusing with butter activates the drug for consumption later.)

Bodacious

Banned
yeah, thats not how it works... theres a reason if you wanna eat weed you have to cook it in butter, milk or any other lipids... thc that isn't bonded to fat will simply not enter the metabolism....

I know that and you know that and the DEA knows that. They're lying. Thanks Obama.

It binds to fats, which makes butter a perfect binding agent. It still requires heat to activate the THC. Without the heat from boiling / sauteing it wouldn't work.

Lego Boss

I was in Utah last summer. Thought the place was well too conservative to get a fat dose of the good weed, but if they do stoned rabbits are gonna be the least of their worries - how will bonged up neocons keep scrawling 'Fuck Obama' all over their public buildings?!

woolley

Well if it was able to be grown and sold legally there would be no reason to grow weed in the backwoods and rabbits wouldn't be eating then anyway. And then they wouldn't have to spray pesticides around and wouldn't hurt the environment.

The Lamp

I'm fascinated by the chemistry you guys are talking about. Having a strong chemistry and engineering background myself, I'm wondering what you mean by the THC needing to be heat activated when dissolved in fats.

Konka

Banned
I'm fascinated by the chemistry you guys are talking about. Having a strong chemistry and engineering background myself, I'm wondering what you mean by the THC needing to be heat activated when dissolved in fats.

THC isn't water soluble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decarboxylation

Converts THCA to THC.

THC isn't water soluble.

THC is a phopholipid. That's why it binds with fats and is cooked with butter / oil. Heat is needed to turn THCA into THC for consumption. Both the activation and the binding happens when boiling water / weed and butter in the same pot. The boiling specifically activates the THC without burning it off into the atmosphere like smoking it would since boiling water never gets about 212F unless under pressure.

"I deal in facts. I deal in science," said special agent Matt Fairbanks, who's been working in the state for a decade. He is member of the "marijuana eradication" team in Utah. Some of his colleagues in Georgia recently achieved notoriety by raiding a retiree's garden and seizing a number of okra plants.

This is amazing. This is my new favorite thing. Who are these people? What do they stand for? How the fuck do you mistake okra for marijuana?

benjipwns

Banned
I know that and you know that and the DEA knows that. They're lying. Thanks Obama.
This is amazing. This is my new favorite thing. Who are these people? What do they stand for? How the fuck do you mistake okra for marijuana?
The Office of National Drug Control Policy is even better. They're basically required by law to lie if it stops decriminalization or legalization:
By law, the drug czar must oppose any attempt to legalize the use (in any form) of illicit drugs.[12] According to the "Office of National Drug Control Policy Reauthorization Act of 1998"[13] the director of the ONDCP

(12) shall ensure that no Federal funds appropriated to the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall be expended for any study or contract relating to the legalization (for a medical use or any other use) of a substance listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812) and take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance (in any form) that --

1. is listed in schedule I of section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 812); and

2. has not been approved for use for medical purposes by the Food and Drug Administration;
The Government Accountability Office has found that this law authorizes the ONDCP to disseminate information in order to oppose legalization:[14]

Finally, apart from considerations of whether any particular law has been violated, you have asked whether the Deputy Director's letter disseminated misleading information in connection with statements relating to the debate over legalization of marijuana. Clearly, the Deputy Director's statements reflect one perspective regarding marijuana - a perspective that is disputed by others with different viewpoints. However, ONDCP is specifically charged with the responsibility for "taking such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use" of certain controlled substances such as marijuana - a responsibility which logically could include the making of advocacy statements in opposition to legalization efforts. The Deputy Director's statements about marijuana are thus within the statutory role assigned to ONDCP. Given this role, we do not see a need to examine the accuracy of the Deputy Director's individual statements in detail.

Here's a fun list of some other things mistaken for marijuana:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ry-mr-_n_2676919.html?utm_hp_ref=the-agitator
The list of things for which police have waged often violent drug raids after mistaking them for marijuana is a long one. It includes (but likely is not limited to) elderberry bushes, tomato plants (several times), yellow bell pepper plants, umbrella leaf, ragweed, okra, hibiscus, kenaf plants, daisies, the scent of moss, the scent of a skunk, and a plastic plant purchased for a pet lizard's planetarium.

Amir0x

Banned
There's a lot of jokes in this thread, but I bet ya'll never encountered a stoned rabbit before. That is no joke. That's some fucking omega alert level 16 shit.

Having grown okra (and having only seen Marijuana plants in pictures) I have no fucking idea. Lots of okra varieties do have multi-pointed leaves, but the plants are tall and scraggly, not bushy at all. I mean, I guess if you weren't really paying attention and didn't see the okra pods (which are actually hard to spot) someone might think it was a bad crop or something.

Edit: just googled. If the plants were very young I could see that mistake being made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom