• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

FlyinJ said:
The save system in this game works like this:

Whenever you get a "checkpoint", it saves your current XP and inventory. If you reload last checkpoint, it brings you to the last "base" you visited.

If you get a "checkpoint" after completing a quest, and reload the checkpoint, you will still have that quest completed.

If you are in the middle of a quest and get a "checkpoint", then reload a checkpoint, you will have to do the whole quest again.

It always loads you to the last "base" you visited when loading a save game.
OK weird. So basically, if you save and quit mid mission you're fucked.

Ploid 3.0

Sinatar said:
The gamma meter is broken guys, leave it in the middle otherwise your game will look like ass.

I tried my normal gamma edit in a building, then changed it back to the middle and it looks too bright. I think it's best if I use the gamma tool because my tv or windows setting is probably just set a bit too bright. The game looks good to me one click away from the text being invisible into that background.

Here's a pic of the same area with gamma in the middle. To me it's darker on the web browser, but in game its pretty bright.

I should probably change my tv settings. I always wondered why my video recordings turned out so dark. Figured it was the program I used to record.

Far Cry 2 is one of my favorite games this generation and this definitely has some of it's qualities. I like the open world feel (not completely open like Far Cry, but close) that makes me want just to explore. I've only played about 3 hours, but I really surprised how much I've enjoyed it so far.
I've decided to play on 360 and it seems that I've experienced some save issues. Wasn't sure if this was a 360 problem like it is on the PS3, but I just lost about an hour of game time. Definitely not alot of lost time compared to others, but still this isn't cool. Has anyone else lost time on the 360? I made sure to finish a quest before quitting and it even showed the saving icon. I fired it back up and there I was at the beginning of the chapter with 3 side quests gone and alot of exploring gone. Too bad that this problem is taking me out of this game and might be a reason to stop playing for now.

Pewp

I'm having a tough time with the Thugs. I'm playing as the blunt weapons expert, and I can't get a hit off without him hitting me back. Only way I can beat him without taking damage is throwing a propane tank at him.

Anyone have some tips for me?

Loving the game so far, seems like there's any endless stream of missions. You go on one and then you find two more.

_woLf

Ever since the patch for PC came out, I can't do co-op anymore. Every time I launch a game, it says in the corner "internet session failed to be created" or something like that.

Halp?

Aselith

Pewp said:
I'm having a tough time with the Thugs. I'm playing as the blunt weapons expert, and I can't get a hit off without him hitting me back. Only way I can beat him without taking damage is throwing a propane tank at him.

Anyone have some tips for me?

Loving the game so far, seems like there's any endless stream of missions. You go on one and then you find two more.

Move in until he throws a punch and step back away from it then dart in and hit him while he's recovering and dart back out. If you get a sledgehammer, it had more reach than the thug does so use that on him. If you manage to take out both arms, all he can do is headbutt you which is shorter than the arms obviously.

adelante

Will be buying the game tomorrow but I'm still trying to wrap
my head around the co-op mechanics. Can anybody in your party just walk up to an NPC to trigger quests??

Xanathus

Users on the Steam forums have discovered how to edit the FOV setting, disable motion-blur, possibly mouse acceleration, and possibly bloom, but it requires unpacking the data0.pak file, changing some xml settings, repacking the file and hex-editing a game DLL to accept the modified pak file so you will be risking a VAC ban unless you disable VAC mode.

Hopefully Techland's "not-a-console-port" devs will actually make it not a port by giving a user-friendly non-VAC bannable way to tweak these options.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2106453

Pewp

Aselith said:
Move in until he throws a punch and step back away from it then dart in and hit him while he's recovering and dart back out. If you get a sledgehammer, it had more reach than the thug does so use that on him. If you manage to take out both arms, all he can do is headbutt you which is shorter than the arms obviously.

I think I should switch back over to the digital combat system. Thanks!

The M.O.B said:
I just picked up a Hammer named
M.C.

:rolleyes

Have you seen the trophy/achievement list?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
My god is this game good. About 3 hours in and loving every second. PC on my TV with 5.1 and 360 controller, analog combat.

I'm playing the blunt weapons guy, and I have some good advice:

I have 4 open quick weapon slots. I put my most powerful blunt weapon into one of them, and throwable knives/machettes/scythes/etc into the other three.

I'll throw the 3 blades at an incoming enemy and usually take them out before they get to me. If not, they're most likely writhing around on the ground. In that case I just pull my three blades out of them and throw them again into the zombie until it's dead. Last resort is using my blunt weapon.

This is really good for not only being able to kill the guys before they get to me, but also thrown blades seem to degrade extremely slowly, if at all.

Teknoman

Xanathus said:
Users on the Steam forums have discovered how to edit the FOV setting, disable motion-blur, possibly mouse acceleration, and possibly bloom, but it requires unpacking the data0.pak file, changing some xml settings, repacking the file and hex-editing a game DLL to accept the modified pak file so you will be risking a VAC ban unless you disable VAC mode.

Hopefully Techland's "not-a-console-port" devs will actually make it not a port by giving a user-friendly non-VAC bannable way to tweak these options.

I'd keep bugging them on twitter/support to add those options to the standard config menu.

On a positive note, the music in this game is great. It's got something to fit every scene perfectly.

Truant

Any way to get AA besides using the config fix or the FXAA hack? Because the config stuff doesn't work, and the FXAA doesn't do enough AA.

Orgun

Maaan, the GB quick look has made me really want this. But with Space Marine and F1 2011 also coming out this month, in addition to having not finished Deus Ex and Witcher 2, i'm having to be sensible and hold off buying it for now :(

Picked this up today: Went to four different stores and the first three were all sold out of copies, and the fourth store only had two copies left. That bodes well for NPD, I think?

The game itself is pretty fun, especially with friends. After we found a car, we spent a whole lot of time dicking around driving terribly and running over zombies. I think it'll be fun. Seems like a melee-focused Borderlands with zombies from the quest set-up.

sleepykyo

This game would be amazing if it weren't such a mess on the PS3.

Lag/hangs on an offline game.
Map randomly goes haywire and decides to display nothing.
Quests decide not to trigger.
And the usual performance issues.

Now it just needs to give me a corrupted save file message tomorrow.

Ploid 3.0

GhostRidah said:
This hotel is pretty creepy

Yep, one of the rare times it really force you to manage your flash light use. Well for me since my game is set based on he gamma setting working like it should. Loved it, and felt a bit uncomfortable. When I made it outside after all that I was so happy to see daylight, but then I nearly died as I was reminded that I wasn't in Kansas.

This game is a total mess on PC for me. No co op, shitty graphics options, tearing. Sweet.

Games shouldn't get a free pass for having "ambition" if they can't get basic shit right.

_woLf

BigJiantRobut said:
This game is a total mess on PC for me. No co op, shitty graphics options, tearing. Sweet.

Games shouldn't get a free pass for having "ambition" if they can't get basic shit right.

No co-op appears to be a temporary thing -- I've played hours of co-op and it's ran great and was really fun.

Shitty graphics options -- wat? elaborate on this.

Tearing: there's a way to manually activate vsync, I believe....though I run the game without it and I don't really notice bad tearing.

I'd hardly consider it a total mess. It's not perfect and there are some pretty inexcusable issues, but we've seen bigger titles have even more problems on PC (cough GTAIV)

Salsa

Jesus i just cant play a first person perspective game with a gamepad, at all.

Fuck it, gonna try the stutter workaround for kb/m tomorrow.

How the heck do i force AA btw? control panel does nothing

Your shadow uses the hilarious first person animations so you look like slender man every time you run

smh

GFE39.jpg

cv322.jpg

mWrQP.jpg

welcome to dead island we take ourselves very seriously here

Enco

Looking forward to playing this tomorrow.

Should be good stuff.

Hopefully they release another patch by then.

Enco

FleckSplat said:
Anyone else get another ~73 MB patch yesterday after the first one? I don't know what it did.
Yea pretty sure everyone got it but no one really knows what it changes.

GLopez12

Neo Member
About how long is this game? I'm wondering if my husband and I should buy it for the co-op, but I don't want to if it's too short.

Orgun

GLopez12 said:
About how long is this game? I'm wondering if my husband and I should buy it for the co-op, but I don't want to if it's too short.

25 hours + going by the latest GB podcast

03sho

My PS3 copy just arrived (day early in UK) and has the patch been released? The save and trophy bugs are really putting me off starting this game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How's the thrown weapons? I heard guns are rare, so I don't know why you'd want to play her, but I was wondering if thrown as the same. Do you just run out, or can you restock similarly to how melee can repair?

Gattsu25

Banned
timkunedo said:
Oh and if you guys haven't gone into settings and changed the combat to analog you are missing out. holy crap.....the combat is so much more visceral. Give it a shot. At first i thought it was kind of clumsy, but once i got the hang of it i can't go back to digital.
This option is greyed out for me. I really want to set it, too

codhand

Off topic, I'm playing on PS3 Slim, I've had four system freeze/crashes (currently a level 16ish character) where I had to fully restart my PS3, anyone else had this issue? Every ten minutes or so, my ps3 sounds like it is spinning the Blu-ray disc back up which leads to a bad stutter/ frame skip, every 10 minutes or so, and a weird sound from the CD drive.

Still love this game though, definitely did not eat dinner or complete any normal human function from about 6pm to 2am.

Gattsu25 said:
This option is greyed out for me. I really want to set it, too
It's for the controller. I'm using the 360 windows pad and the analog combat is awesome.

Btw early game creepy moment:
talking to that guy in the middle of the blood red pool and him telling you he just killed his wife, dad, and brother and had no choice (they were infected) was really creepy. Love this game

Amneisac

Xanathus said:

Well, this at least gives me a little hope that they can fix the FOV issues. It doesn't actually make me motion sick, but it definitely hurts my eyes and I don't really like playing for more than about 30 minutes.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Heavy said:
It's for the controller. I'm using the 360 windows pad and the analog combat is awesome.

Btw early game creepy moment:
talking to that guy in the middle of the blood red pool and him telling you he just killed his wife, dad, and brother and had no choice (they were infected) was really creepy. Love this game

I like the analog control... until there's more than two zombies on screen. I'm just having trouble with the clunkiness of it. Especially if you want to target specific body parts while fighting multiple enemies. It takes camera control away from you while you attack and I don;t know... it's pretty frustrating. This game is handing me my ass over and over again. I actually like that, but much of it is from fighting the controls, not the zombies.

codhand

Analog is undoubtedly the most satisfying way to play. Also more difficult, but much easier to target limbs IMO. Groups aren't a problem because I stay on my Double Dragon jump kick shit.

Truant

I noticed that all the characters have different skill trees. Which character is the best? I tried ancient chinese secret lady but after my save got corrupted (thanks!), I have to start over again.

Top Bottom