• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Neuromancer said:
Question about the mission Out of Stock:

I've given Stanley Garrison (Australian dude in a bar not far from where you start off.) several bottles of booze but he doesn't really react, and in fact there's a symbol of him that looks like when you've searched something and there's nothing left. any ideas on what I'm supposed to do? Just keep bringing him booze?
It does end, it's like 15/20 bottles you need though, you can tell it ends because it's under side quests not continuous quests.

timkunedo

Glad to see the game is buttery smooth now on pc. just hope they fix the coop and this game will be sooooo sweet.

Oh and if you guys haven't gone into settings and changed the combat to analog you are missing out. holy crap.....the combat is so much more visceral. Give it a shot. At first i thought it was kind of clumsy, but once i got the hang of it i can't go back to digital.

Dead Island is one of the best games of the year, period. It's incredibly ambitious and it delivers on its lofty goals. There's no other game out there like this.

Ended up redbox renting this today. I didn't get as much time with it as I would have liked but Im still enjoying it a ton.

I hope I can pick this up sometime, its pretty fun and seems worth it.

Flunkie

Banned
Heavy said:
Dead Island is one of the best games of the year, period. It's incredibly ambitious and it delivers on its lofty goals. There's no other game out there like this.
I couldn't have said it better myself. It was kinda rough out of the gate, but things seem to be shaping up very nicely. Now, I can't stop myself from playing it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Heavy said:
I'll probably pick it up once it hits 10-15$. I'm enjoying some of the positive impressions, but I just couldn't take the bite on the 34$ sale when It was sandwich between Deus Ex and RO2 on top of the gameplay videos just looking like boring crap.

Card Boy

Banned
Heavy said:

Agreed, it's a shame about the buggy launch though. Unlike Brink this one will survive due to having a proper SP.

Teknoman

shintoki said:
I'll probably pick it up once it hits 10-15$. I'm enjoying some of the positive impressions, but I just couldn't take the bite on the 34$ sale when It was sandwich between Deus Ex and RO2 on top of the gameplay videos just looking like boring crap.

It could be sorta boring early on, but once you start leveling up and encountering zombies of varied strength/get familiar with analog fight style, its as close to playing a modern zombie apocalypse movie as you'll get.

Makes me wish the zombies in L4D2 were a little "meatier".

0Cmw1.jpg

Booooooo!!!

Concept17

Is anyone else using Hamachi? Four of us are attempting to use it. We can get two people together in a game, but the other two can't seem to connect or work at all.

Heavy said:
That is why its so sad about this whole situation the game has right now, if it came out polished this would be a mega hit, but there is so much bad word of mouth going around I feel sorry for it.

I just hope they fix this and fast.

DrBo42

Concept17 said:
Is anyone else using Hamachi? Four of us are attempting to use it. We can get two people together in a game, but the other two can't seem to connect or work at all.
Add me on Steam: Drbo

I'll troubleshoot with you guys.

Randomizer

Well Edge you just saved me £30. You know there's a problem when you are happy that a game you were slightly interested in gets crap reviews. There are just so many good games coming out and I can't afford to buy them all. So all the mediocre/average games fall to the wayside until a Bomba sale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, after completely dismissing this game, Brad from Giant Bomb's impressions completely sold me and now I'm interested in it. Is it safe to purchase on the PC now? Is that whole debacle with the unfinished version all over? If I buy and download it tonight on Steam, will it not be a broken mess?

Teknoman

Randomizer said:
Well Edge you just saved me £30. You know there's a problem when you are happy that a game you were slightly interested in gets crap reviews. There are just so many good games coming out and I can't afford to buy them all. So all the mediocre/average games fall to the wayside until a Bomba sale.

Not trying to make you spend money on something you arent sure on, but the reviews for the game are pretty varied.

Zefah said:
So, after completely dismissing this game, Brad from Giant Bomb's impressions completely sold me and now I'm interested in it. Is it safe to purchase on the PC now? Is that whole debacle with the unfinished version all over? If I buy and download it tonight on Steam, will it not be a broken mess?

It wont be broken, but there are still missing options (FOV, AA, AF) and the co-op servers are currently down.

Anybody having audio issues on PC? Can barely hear people I'm talking too. Speech volume is at its highest. Also, with my 6850 the screen tearing is terrible. How can I force vsync just for this game?

Wow it is so so sad that so many people are afraid of picking this up because of the overly negative reviews and the admitable fuck up with the launch. This game is awesome and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

With that said, how the fuck do you turn off the continuous quests? My OCD self cannot handle quests that stay there forever. Lol

KoruptData said:
Anybody having audio issues on PC? Can barely hear people I'm talking too. Speech volume is at its highest. Also, with my 6850 the screen tearing is terrible. How can I force vsync just for this game?

google how to force vsync on dead island. there is a file you have to edit to enable it. i did it and it works great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Devin Olsen said:
Wow it is so so sad that so many people are afraid of picking this up because of the overly negative reviews and the admitable fuck up with the launch. This game is awesome and I have enjoyed every minute of it.

With that said, how the fuck do you turn off the continuous quests? My OCD self cannot handle quests that stay there forever. Lol

This is why and it's no surprise. Everyone should be pissed about fucked up launches.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
BagSquad said:
I couldn't find a retail copy of this anywhere, jeez. Bought a copy off Amazon in defeat.

That's a victory, not a defeat.

I've had some weird quest issues.

1. Had an item
teddy bear for Anne
in my inventory, quit, played much later, everything was as it should have been except the item was no longer in my inventory,

2. Talked to James, got some quests, I did them, got a quest notification to go talk to James, he repeated dialogue from when I first met him. I was done with a quest and had to turn it in to him, but he wouldn't talk to me. I quit, reloaded, then talked to him again and then I was able to turn in the quest.

Very strange. 360 version.

Derrick01

Banned
Heavy said:

I don't know about that. I'm still having a really hard time enjoying it, most of the quests I've done so far are pretty much fetch quests in some form or another with no real depth or multiple objectives (in that regard it really IS like borderlands), and I'm already tired of killing zombies with melee weapons. Not to mention all the launch day shenanigans and weird bugs I'm still getting, like the stairway made of ice I talked about earlier.

So far all I can give this game is that it's extremely fucking good looking. If the bloom could be turned down a little then it would be even better.

been playing on the 360 for several hours since monday night and the only issue I've encountered is the game has hard frozen my 360 twice during co-op.

Other than that, the issues I've encountered are on par with what Obsidian has with their games on the technical side. And considering the size and scope of the game and it being developed by Techland I'm pretty fucking impressed.

The game is great but hopefully with a couple of patches, Techland can get everything sorted out and then the game will be brilliant.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The save system in this game works like this:

Whenever you get a "checkpoint", it saves your current XP and inventory. If you reload last checkpoint, it brings you to the last "base" you visited.

If you get a "checkpoint" after completing a quest, and reload the checkpoint, you will still have that quest completed.

If you are in the middle of a quest and get a "checkpoint", then reload a checkpoint, you will have to do the whole quest again.

It always loads you to the last "base" you visited when loading a save game.

Artadius

Wow, the game really ramps it up at the end of Act 1 and into Act 2. I'd consider the entire Act 1 to be nothing but an extended prologue except for the last quest
protecting the garage where your truck is getting armored. I fucking died there like three times

Ploid 3.0

Teknoman said:
Ploid what are your gamma settings?

2dcaee22a6fe2ee3903d2e047baa33aa27ba4948.jpg

My tv is bright enough that the image shows one click away from being not visible black.

Cutwolf said:
Ploid what are your graphics settings?

Texture high, shadows high, shadow map 512 (I did that file edit to put it at 2000 something from the steam link posted here), Foliage quality high, fx quality high, 60hz

Top Bottom