• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island |OT| Island of the Dead

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So I'm finding digital control best when going solo... but in co-op I think it'll be fun to play analog.

Still shitting bricks I might lose my save. :/

Thinking of buying this on Xbox. One question though, does the online work well? I'm buying this to play with a friend and would hate it if the game was filled with connection errors and lag.

AkuMifune

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Why is everyone talking about Hamachi still?

Is co-op STILL not working? oO

I had trouble last night, could see a bunch of games but couldn't join any. Just saw this tip on x360a:

What I did was started a new save and start the game. I would then join on someones game. Which meant they were at the very beginning. Then I would just drop out (not quit). I would go back to my own game and then I would do a lobby search and crap load of ACTUAL joinable games popped up (not rooms that were just greyed out).

Might be a good workaround til the patch drops. Can't try it atm though.

Ledsen

Concept17 said:
After messing around with Hamachi for about an hour or so, we finally got 4 of us on one game. Co-op is glorious. Once you start finding decent weapons, repairing, upgrading, and unlocking mods, the game picks up considerably. I think we're not quite to Act2
headed to the city next

The only problem we've been having is one of us locks up anytime he tries to 'use' certain objects/switches. And by lock up I mean he is stuck in place, can't move or do anything, but not frozen. Its weird.

I feel like I spent so much time on the beach the first two days of release, and watching mostly video footage of the beach, I thought it would get a little repetitive. But my god,
the hotel, the freezer, pool area
the atmosphere in this game is fantastic. Its a shame there is no day/night cycles.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/559793280637976618/4F22F5724CF0AF0812C97F740AC86938CB575619/[/MG][/QUOTE]

How do they handle quests in co-op? If one player picks up a quest, will everyone else just automagically have it pop up in their quest list? Or do everyone have to get quests individually?

So, how many hours are left until the game unlocks in Europe? I can't see the store page in Germany and I am not sure if there is any other way to find out. Can someone help me out here?

PaulLFC

Marty Chinn said:
Anyone else suddenly get extra keys from GMG? Did I just get an extra copy of the game?
I got keys, however one of them looks like the key I originally got when I ordered, need to check the site to verify that. The other, possibly for the free Bloodbath DLC?

HKnightz

Concept17 said:
The only problem we've been having is one of us locks up anytime he tries to 'use' certain objects/switches. And by lock up I mean he is stuck in place, can't move or do anything, but not frozen. Its weird.
Yeah this happens to me when I play with my brothers. The game stops registering keyboard inputs and I can't move, melee, or even get into the menu without using the steam overlay trick. Only way to fix it is to restart the entire game.

tjohn86

PaulLFC said:
I got keys, however one of them looks like the key I originally got when I ordered, need to check the site to verify that. The other, possibly for the free Bloodbath DLC?

I got 2 new keys. I'm going to activate them and see what I get.

Salsa

PaulLFC said:

oh hey i totally didnt got that!

and i preloaded ages ago :(

Concept17

Ledsen said:
How do they handle quests in co-op? If one player picks up a quest, will everyone else just automagically have it pop up in their quest list? Or do everyone have to get quests individually?

You all receive and complete quests anytime one person turns them in. Main quests requires everyone to be at the NPC upon completion.

You can go turn in a quest, and the other players can come back to the npc at anytime and get whatever item reward there may have been, but everyone gets the xp reward right away.

PaulLFC

tjohn86 said:
I got 2 new keys. I'm going to activate them and see what I get.
SalsaShark said:
oh hey i totally didnt got that!

and i preloaded ages ago :(
From looking at my account on the GMG site, it seems that under Dead Island it's now listing the two keys I've just been emailed. Checking my email from when I ordered, they are indeed both different keys from the one I was originally emailed (the one I activated on Steam). Strange!

If it's any use in finding a pattern for this, I'm in the UK and preordered and preloaded it yesterday afternoon.

Stitch

Gold Member
open the Data0.pak with winrar or winzip or something like that.

edit: and it actually works :D gonna try this in coj: the cartel. it's the same stupid engine with the same bugs and flaws

This is probably one game where I don't mind a narrow fov (the ONLY game) zombies sneaking up on you adds to the tension.

Any general tips for a beginner btw?

Also :
Do I hoard my money like a squirrel or can I spend it?
Is there a way to redistribute talents?
What are the requirements to unlock the talents, I couldn't take anything from the third line in the survival tree till I spent some random points (more than one) in the second line, but it seems arbitrary how many or where.

I get so many random items, do I vendor em or hoard them all or wut?

Concept17

Stitch said:
open the Data0.pak with winrar or winzip or something like that.

edit: and it actually works :D gonna try this in coj: the cartel. it's the same stupid engine with the same bugs and flaws

wow

HUGE difference. So much better. Anyone having troubles with default FOV should do this.

Xanathus

Also from poking around data0.pak, it looks like Ryder White will be a new DLC playable character because he has his own skill tree. Seems to be focused on guns.

edit: also looks like his campaign will take place in the city and jungle

Stitch

Gold Member
GhostRidah said:
Cant you get VAC banned for this?
you don't change any files so I don't think they can ban you for this.

it works in coj: the cartel too btw. but you end up with flying arms so i guess something like 68 is the highest without glitches.. default is 50 ಠ_ಠ

Enco

Flunkie said:
You've gotta think that that reality won't be far away (on PC).
Talking about mods?

Would be cool if they patched it in. Don't see how it would affect the game, save for making it cooler. As long as the characters don't wear sunglasses (although that's not a big issue).

3 patches already. They should release some patch notes though.

oktarb

Bought this on steam last night and played for about 2 hours. First it worked fine, I had a zero bug experience thus far. However I haven't tried co-op yet so I can't speak for that.

I liked:

+ The overall feel. Zombies are scary and I treat each one with respect. Its different then L4D for sure. I have a fucking oar and a broken stick.
+ The world is modeled very well. Great detail and feel.
+ Putting nails into my first weapon was great. It really made me want to modify more weapons. I'd probably drop the Dead Rising work bench rip off though.
+ I like that there a character skill system and look forward to messing with it more. Needs a respec option though.
+ Controls and interface are good. Everything made sense and never got away. I turned off all onscreen damage. It helped me immerse myself more.

I have minor problems with:
- There seems to be a high glare on everything like its a super sunny day and you're stared into the sun for 2 minutes. Messed with the gamma but wasn't able to tone it down to a satisfactory level.
- There sure are a lot of things to open up and search. Solo thins doesn't bug me but in co-op I imagine its going to slow things down if everyone is stopping to search ash trays every 10 seconds.
- Doors don't open. I find a bungalow with 3 doors but only one set opens. yet in many parts of the game I can force other doors open. These static no interaction doors are annoying. Running up to a door with 2 zombies on your ass only to find out its a fake door is frustrating.
- Not being able to pickup weapons that are in chests that I'm high enough level for is stupid. What mythical force stops me from picking up a machete. My baby can pick up a steak knife...
- Hate that effect they have in the beginning where the lights flicker. The screen just going abruptly black every three seconds was very disjointed.

+/- The weapons breaking is fine for most things. I can understand that sticks, oars and baseball bats can break. I even enjoy the tension and survivalist vibe created by weapon deterioration. I have a problem with knowing exactly when they're going to break and I have a problem with steel fucking pipes breaking. I imagine it gets better later in the game but right now I go through the basic shit weapons very fast.

Overall this game made me want to play more and that's a good thing. Can't wait to try co-op.

Stitch said:
you don't change any files so I don't think they can ban you for this.

it works in coj: the cartel too btw. but you end up with flying arms so i guess something like 68 is the highest without glitches.. default is 50 ಠ_ಠ

Baha said:
Nope, this one unlike the other fix requires no hex editing and is a simple text edit.
Nice, will try this out then.

GhostRidah said:
Cant you get VAC banned for this?
That FOV fix probably stemmed from people not wanting to be VAC banned. You're not repacking the PAK files, so VAC won't have any issues. It's simply creating a couple new folders and dropping in the CFG file so the game picks that up over the static one in the PAK file.

Edit: Beaten.

oktarb said:
Bought this on steam last night and played for about 2 hours. First it worked fine, I had a zero bug experience thus far. However I haven't tried co-op yet so I can't speak for that.

I liked:

+ The overall feel. Zombies are scary and I treat each one with respect. Its different then L4D for sure. I have a fucking oar and a broken stick.
+ The world is modeled very well. Great detail and feel.
+ Putting nails into my first weapon was great. It really made me want to modify more weapons. I'd probably drop the Dead Rising work bench rip off though.
+ I like that there a character skill system and look forward to messing with it more. Needs a respec option though.
+ Controls and interface are good. Everything made sense and never got away. I turned off all onscreen damage. It helped me immerse myself more.

I have minor problems with:
- There seems to be a high glare on everything like its a super sunny day and you're stared into the sun for 2 minutes. Messed with the gamma but wasn't able to tone it down to a satisfactory level.
- There sure are a lot of things to open up and search. Solo thins doesn't bug me but in co-op I imagine its going to slow things down if everyone is stopping to search ash trays every 10 seconds.
- Doors don't open. I find a bungalow with 3 doors but only one set opens. yet in many parts of the game I can force other doors open. These static no interaction doors are annoying. Running up to a door with 2 zombies on your ass only to find out its a fake door is frustrating.
- Not being able to pickup weapons that are in chests that I'm high enough level for is stupid. What mythical force stops me from picking up a machete. My baby can pick up a steak knife...
- Hate that effect they have in the beginning where the lights flicker. The screen just going abruptly black every three seconds was very disjointed.

+/- The weapons breaking is fine for most things. I can understand that sticks, oars and baseball bats can break. I even enjoy the tension and survivalist vibe created by weapon deterioration. I have a problem with knowing exactly when they're going to break and I have a problem with steel fucking pipes breaking. I imagine it gets better later in the game but right now I go through the basic shit weapons very fast.

Overall this game made me want to play more and that's a good thing. Can't wait to try co-op.
as far as weapons you should upgrade it to make it last a bit longer. depends on the class you could increase the life of it. with xian i use sharp weapons so i put my skill points in the sharp objects to make it not break fast and also decrease my stamina usage when i use it.

oh man can someone trying out the FOV fix post screens, especially of the scenery of the ocean/beach etc. their example is very boring!

must...wait...till...work...finishes to play

Flunkie

Banned
Enco said:
Talking about mods?

Would be cool if they patched it in. Don't see how it would affect the game, save for making it cooler. As long as the characters don't wear sunglasses (although that's not a big issue).

3 patches already. They should release some patch notes though.
Yeah, talking about mods. The exclusion of the day/night cycle is somewhat puzzling, since the original Call of Juarez (still love that game) had one, didn't it? Totally agree about the patch notes. I've been spoiled by Team Fortress' awesome patch support. The FoV fix is much welcomed. Any word about how you can make the blood stay around linger? I like having the blood everywhere, especially for a game that gives you so much of it. I r sad when it disappears.

Baha

cleveridea said:
oh man can someone trying out the FOV fix post screens, especially of the scenery of the ocean/beach etc. their example is very boring!

must...wait...till...work...finishes to play

Gimme a sec.
Here you go:

59526CBDFF9579F7E0BCEA08287F7D8BBDD58D97

8705D535BE877DAF5A215DF4722D3BDAB9FBAD0C

776B41B62B0D0B4BDACB09267A02E55B95822A53

JambiBum

So something I really like about the co op system in this game that I wish Borderlands 2 will do. When you join a low level game with a high level character they scale the loot to fit your character. I'm a 25 and most of my friends are in the teens. I thought that if I played with them that I wouldn't find anything worth my while because of the level difference. Turns out I was wrong. The stores all have the "same" weapons, but they are just tailored to your level. Plus even the quest items you get are tailored correctly. Hope Borderlands does this as well.

Top Bottom