• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

Dawg

ilum0ueDjjOP6.gif

websites2rrl.png

http://deadisland.deepsilver.com/

releasersr2q.png

NA April 23, 2013
AU April 23, 2013
NA April 25, 2013 (PC)
AU April 26, 2013 (X360)
EU April 26, 2013

platformsm9sjm.png

pclbsya.png
ps3res7u.png
xbawxe7svy.png

Steam pre-order (!): http://store.steampowered.com/app/216250/

(!): Free Dead Island GOTY and Survivor Pack DLC if you pre-order.

thefucka0oj1.png

Dead Island Riptide picks up right where the original game left off, with the same four survivors, Sam B, Xian Mei, Logan Carter and Purna. Because of a tropical storm the chopper crashes. The crew land on a military ship where, due to a raging monsoon and the fact that our survivors are infected, an all-new zombie outbreak occurs onboard. This forces players to flee the ship or the ship runs aground (media reports are conflicting). The survivors end up on the island of Palanai in the South Pacific. Palanai includes the city of Henderson.

Despite being the sequel to Dead Island, Deep Silver's Aubrey Norris had said that it's not "Dead Island 2" itself, hinting that there may be future plans for the series. The game is set to include new zombie mutations, a dynamic weather system, and new 'hub defense' missions.

Dead Island Riptide will also introduce a fifth character, John Morgan. John is a Navy ship cook, but he is also trained in hand-to-hand combat.

featuresrrs5k.png

Players and co-op
  • Players can keep their original Dead Island game character progression through to the sequel.
  • Level limitations between co-op partners has been removed. The game with automatically re-balance to find a middle ground that all players can play.
  • Connecting to another player in co-op has been made simpler, where the game now automatically mentions if friends are logged in and nearby, letting them just jump into the player's game.
  • Disconnections are handled more gracefully, and when people drop out of a group, there is a simple notification before a player can continue to play as they were before.
  • Players will not have to wait to get firearms until later in the game.
Zombies
  • New zombie type.
    • Drowner
  • New special zombies.
    • Grenadier, which throws grenades at the survivors.
    • Wrestler, who uses it's large fist to slam the survivors.
    • Ogre
  • More zombies on screen at any one time.
  • Zombie respawning overhauled. Zombies will still reappear as a player returns to areas that they had already cleared, but the game is going to try and handle this in a more intelligent and complex fashion. The game will take into account if the player is on a mission, how recently the players last passed through, the character’s condition, whether the player is playing in a group and plenty other factors also.
Gameplay
  • New set position defenses where the player must hold a position for a period of time. This is available early in the game.
Environment
  • Environmental weather. A huge part of the engine overhaul has focussed on adding big weather effects which "ramp up the tension and atmosphere during pivotal battles". The wind builds until it’s roaring at you through the speakers, the skies darken as the clouds close in and torrential rain starts to come down, reducing the distance the player can see and making survival even trickier.
  • The only mode of transportation across the flooded islands is by boat.
    • Zombies will pull players off the boat.
  • The island is "vastly different from the one in the first game".
Weapons
  • Weapons will be more durable.
Adjusting FOV
This is a guide on how to change the FOV where it is currently stuck at 62.5 for performance and other reasons explained by Deep Silver PR. This guide is also applicable to Dead Island (2011) and the Dead Island: Game of the Year Edition as well. This guide focuses on the location and names of Dead Island Riptide.

1. Go to SteamsteamappscommondiriptideDI
  2. Open Data0.pak in Winrar or Winzip
  3. In another Explorer window, go to Documents or My Documents (depending on Windows version). Go to Riptide and create folder “data”. Enter data and create a folder “skills”
  4. In Winrar/zip, go to skills inside the Data0.cab and drag & drop default_levels.xml into that DocumentsRiptidedataskills folder.
  5. Open the .xml in notepad.
  6. Edit FOV to whatever you want. Save.
Source: http://www.savingcontent.com/2013/04/dead-island-riptide-how-to-change-the-fov-on-pc/

characters8vsp7.png

sambe9pjk.png

Sam B, the Tank, one of the four Heroes in Dead Island, is a one-hit-wonder rap star of fading fame. Originally from New Orleans, he is now performing four nights a week at the Royal Palms Resort. Sam B was booked by the Royal Palms Resort to perform his well-known song Who Do You Voodoo at a high profile hotel party. He gladly took the chance to play this gig.

Once strong, self-confident and proud, Sam B has had a troubled past and a history of drug and alcohol abuse, as his private life became caught in a haze of fake friends and bad advisers.

xiangvwsrc.png

Xian Mei, the Assassin, is one of the four playable Heroes in Dead Island. Before the outbreak she was an employee at the Royal Palms Resort. She was sent to the Banoi Island by her superiors to spy on the wealthy Westerners that stay there. As soon as she arrived at the hotel, the manager put her on 24 hour surveillance.

Xian was born and raised in China. Her father, who was the Chief inspector of the Hong Kong Police passed away when she was only 10 years old. He was killed by a member of the Wo Shing Wo Triad, but before her father's death, he taught Xian martial arts and she continued practicing even after his passing. After graduating top of her university's class, she joined the Hong Kong Police force and was placed in the first female crime squad; but she and her female colleagues were never put in the field and their male superiors did not train them the way they promised they would, so Xian concluded that the entire group was only for show.

Her superiors decided to send her to the Royal Palms Resort to be an informer and to spy on the Westerners that visited and stayed at the island. Even though her work dishonors her father's memory, she knows she can do much, much better. She wants an opportunity to prove herself. And apparently the zombie outbreak was that opportunity. During the opening cutscene, the player could see her attending to woman laying on the floor, presumably infected by the virus.

loganqyswi.png

Logan Carter, the Jack of All Trades, one of the four playable characters in Dead Island, is a former NFL star and the jack of all trades of the group of the Heroes.

A former football star who led a spoiled life and was successful in every possible way, Logan's ego finally put an end to his bright future. Taking part in a reckless street race with tragic consequences, Logan not only killed a young woman — his unfortunate passenger; he also fractured his knee, putting an end to his sports career. His fall from stardom inevitably followed and he plunged swiftly into a life of bitterness and despair. In an attempt to get away from the demons hunting him, he gladly takes the chance to experience the beauty and wonder of Banoi Island.

purna35s2e.png

Purna Jackson, the Leader, one of the four Heroes in Dead Island, is a VIP bodyguard.

Purna is a former officer of the Sydney Police department. After losing her career when she shot a child molester who could not be touched legally because of his wealth and connections, Purna then turned to working as a bodyguard for VIPs in dangerous places all over the world. She is hired not just for her skills but her looks, as wealthy men did not mind showing up with Purna on their arm. She has a hatred of people with enough money to ignore legalities and wishes to finish off the child molester that caused her to lose her job.

johnmorganscsva.png

John Morgan is a survivor and a former sailor in the Australian Defense Force. He's the only new playable character in Dead Island Riptide. John Morgan is also a hand to hand combat expert.

A master of unarmed martial arts, John Morgan joined the ADF, but never expected to serve his country as a cook. Little did he know that he would end up joining the original four survivors to make mincemeat out of zombies on Palanai Island.

specialeditions0osqd.png

Content:
  • Fusion Blade Pack
  • BBQ Blade
  • Exclusive character skins

Price: $49.99 / $39.99 (PC) / €49,99 / €39,99 (PC) / £37,99 / £29,99 (PC)

Content:
  • World Exclusive Survivor Notebook
  • Exclusive Survivor Edition Tin Box
  • Exlusive Weapons Pack DLC
  • In-game Characters DLC

Price: $88.00 (EB Games AU exclusive: https://ebgames.com.au/xbox360-159978-Dead-Island-Riptide-Survivor-Edition-Xbox-360)

Content:
  • Steelbook case
  • In-game unlockables
  • 13" hand-painted pair of boobs

Price: £89,99 / €119,99 (UK exclusive, but also being sold in other parts of Europe)

Content:
  • Dead Island: Riptide special edition
  • Travel suitcase
  • Bobble figurine
  • Bottle opener
  • Wooden keychain with a bungalow key
  • in-game unlockable content
  • Digital map

Price: $79.96 (North America and Latin America exclusive)

media7oqi2.png

Videos

Dead Island Riptide CGI trailer
Sam B - Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch
Hub Defence gameplay
They Thought Wrong... trailer

Screenshots

reviewstfo55.png

Game Informer: 8/10
Riptide’s flaws are many, but they couldn’t hold me back from having a blast. Few games nail the visceral feel of melee combat and co-op fun like Dead Island. At its worst, an annoying hiccup breaks the immersion of the grizzly trek through a zombie-infested paradise. At its best, Riptide hits the same high notes as the original.

GamesRadar: 8/10

Vandal Online: 8/10

Playstation Universe: 7,5/10

LaPS3: 7,5/10

Official Xbox Magazine: 7,5/10

IGN: 7,2/10

Eurogamer Sweden: 7/10

Meristation: 6,8/10

GamesBeat: 6,5/10

Eurogamer: 6/10
What makes that so sad is that this feels like a series only a few great decisions away from being really good. A better script with a sense of humour, a bit more imagination in quest design, more coherent inventory management and character development... These things shouldn't be unattainable goals for a developer that must be flush from the unexpected success of the first game. If there is to be more Dead Island - and I wouldn't object to that - then those things must be high priorities for it to avoid another mauling.

As for Riptide? It's half-fun, but fittingly enough it's the boring stuff that ultimately kills it.

EGM: 6/10

Saving Content: 3/5

NowGamer: 6/10

Polygon: 5,5/10
Seeing how little Dead Island has mechanically evolved in the 19 or so months since its last outing is the biggest disappointment of Riptide.

Machinima: 5,5/10

Destructoid: 5/10

PlayStation Official Magazine UK: 5/10

GameSpot: 4/10

Official Xbox Magazine UK: 4/10

Metro GameCentral: 4/10

Rev3Games: 2/5

Enjoy my video review for the 360 version. Long story short. Fans of the original will enjoy this outing, regardless of subtle tweaks and changes. Those that had issues with the franchise, will find nothing new worth changing their mind.

$50? Well shit, I thought it was a full price game. Also didn't know this was out so soon. Loved the first so i'm gonna get this for sure.

The_Monk

Good OT fellow GAFfer.

Played the first one on the PS3 after the patches were out and I really liked it from start to finish aside from the Sewers. Then after I finished I helped a friend in his game with some quests.

Hope this one to be as good as the first. Kinda tempted for the Steelbook Edition + DLC but the Backlog still is strong right now so we'll see.

Here it is the Steelbook:

ATLIKXfl.png

Really loved the first one, and really wanted another one when I finished it.

However, I could not be less hyped about this.

Weird.

Dawg

Bisoneyes.gif - Can't wait for this.

Wasn't the statue redacted?

No idea to be honest. I've been looking for information and the only thing I found is that they're "sorry for making such a CE" but meanwhile, it's still available at many retailers, including the one in my country.

Decado

The first one was pretty fun on PC with a few mods. That being said, it definitely lacked polish and depth. I'm disappointed that there seem to be hardly any improvements to actual gameplay in Riptide (by the sounds of it, anyway).

I really liked the first one, but this looks like the exact same game and I'm not sure if I'm interested in shelling out $50 for that so soon.

This was originally intended to be DLC, wasn't it?

Nemesis_

Did they lighten Purna's skin tone or am I trippin?

Beyonce's impact.

I'm looking forward to this, as I have three somewhat reliable friends to play with this time. They want to finish the first game before Riptide hits but I just KNOW that ain't gonna happen with our schedules. :(

Twinduct

I liked the first one, but not full price like.
Gonna wait for impressions and a sale for this one though
(Will go in full price if there is enough 'good' new content though)

jrcbandit

Buy it on PC from GMG for $39.99 with free Risen and use a 20% off coupon (GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA) to drop it down to $32, then it wont feel like a ripoff...

Karak

I will be posting a Angry Centaur review of this later today. Spoiler free. I spent a couple hours to keep it spoiler free and not show anything but a couple bits of 1-2 cutscenes.

EDIT:
Spoiler free 360 review

-BLITZ-

Can't wait to play with Logan and hear his voice again. I'm also interested to know more about their newest survivor John. I do hope he will appear all together with 4 Heroes on cutscenes.

Karak

Can't wait to play with Logan and hear his voice again. I'm also interested to know more about their newest survivor John. I do hope he will appear all together with 4 Heroes on cutscenes.

He does. Consider him an extra class on an expansion game. In fact he is almost instantly introduced. Like the other characters he seems in love with the word "Fuck" :)

Melchiah

Oh, it's coming next week?! Pre-ordered with a bonus T-shirt.

lX1ZhB0.jpg

Players can keep their original Dead Island game character progression through to the sequel.

Great news, if that applies to gear as well. I collected most of the Developer Mods, and legendary machetes & katanas on my playthrough.

New set position defenses where the player must hold a position for a period of time. This is available early in the game.

I wonder how this plays on solo?

Shady859

I will be posting a Angry Centaur review of this later today. Spoiler free. I spent a couple hours to keep it spoiler free and not show anything but a couple bits of 1-2 cutscenes.

EDIT:
Spoiler free 360 review

Thanks for review. Interesting that it runs so bad on 360, is that the lead platform? Gameplay in your video looked really blah... I enjoyed the first one as well.

If Gamefly ships it i'm playing it at launch otherwise I have no interest in buying. Weird I have no hype as others have mentioned even after buying and liking the first one in release day.

Karak

I wonder how this plays on solo?

It doesn't make much concessions for if you are alone or together in the quests/new bits.
I mean less enemies and changes in spawning but overall it is handled pretty simply.

Thanks for review. Interesting that it runs so bad on 360, is that the lead platform? Gameplay in your video looked really blah... I enjoyed the first one as well.

If Gamefly ships it i'm playing it at launch otherwise I have no interest in buying. Weird I have hype as others have mentioned even after buying and liking the first one in release day.

No problem. I just have to say I am not sure WHAT was up but on 3 different xbox's online or off. It feels...different. I do get a bit motion sick during games but this one made me actively have to play in short spurts. It was crazy. There is one later level, due to the overall amount of enemies and the location that I honestly almost retched, add into that the strange headbob/sway that the characters already do and my god it was horrid.
Sadly I actually liked the game. So it was hard to go between feeling ill and feeling like I wanted to continue to play
Gameplay is indeed the same old same old. I mean you do have the new character, skills, and such but overall aside from a couple new types, new stratagies needed, and so forth. Its the same game with good new locations.

I think the Steam version will probably be a good deal more smooth. OR our 360's need to be taken out and shot.

Mascot

25% through the first game and liking it a lot. Somehow very early on I got an assault rifle with about 80 billion explosive rounds in it (I picked it up when some random joined my game before I realised I could play offline only) which is a handy ace to play when things get overwhelming. I assume this is a glitch?

I didn't run into anything in my hours of playing, but I didn't have the opportunity to test co-op, so I don't know... At least my throwing weapons didn't vanish into thin air like in the original!

I was actually referring to all the technical issues the PC port of the last one had, and not bugs in the game (of which there were also many). I remember having to mess around a lot with config files and then eventually a 3rd party modding tool just to make it work properly. They never really paid a lot of attention to the PC port so I wanted to know if that had changed. Proper config options and the likes, you know?

sunnz

I wish they pushed more for a survival aspects and so far the location it is set in... kinda sucks.

Will pass for now, wait for a sale.

Melchiah

It doesn't make much concessions for if you are alone or together in the quests/new bits.
I mean less enemies and changes in spawning but overall it is handled pretty simply.

You run around a lot and help/save the AI :)

Thanks for the info. So I gather it's a bit harder on solo, which is pretty much what I expected. Hopefully it's manageable. I prefer to proceed by myself, and take my time to search all the nooks and corners, and do the sidemissions, without someone rushing forward. I might try the co-op after I've finished it though, if any of my friends will get the game.

EDIT: At least the first game wasn't that hard when playing alone, apart from some parts towards the end. And the quarantine area in the city, which I decided to stay clear from after a couple of futile tries.

Karak

Thanks for the info.
EDIT: At least the first game wasn't that hard when playing alone, apart from some parts towards the end. And the quarantine area in the city, which I decided to stay clear from after a couple of futile tries.

No problem and ya you are about right.

Hawk SE

I'm currently reviewing this on PC, but I'm embargoed until Midnight of the 22nd like everyone else.

I've been playing it mostly solo and it isn't too demanding. Death is inconsequential, as long as you hit recent checkpoints. There isn't a whole lot of "new" to be found, but I prefer Riptide to the original.

I'll have more when I can actually say things that won't get me in trouble.

Why have they not shown any actual game play for this? It seems odd that the only actual thing I've seen for this game is the original screenshots of the gang on the boat. Which was released over a year ago.

Top Bottom