• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

Melchiah

Why have they not shown any actual game play for this? It seems odd that the only actual thing I've seen for this game is the original screenshots of the gang on the boat. Which was released over a year ago.

They have, at least on their FB site.

https://www.facebook.com/deadislandgame

A couple of interesting images from there.
CUpHJdy.jpg

The biosphere on Palanai houses a terrible secret.

dl0jtMK.jpg

New enemy type, Wrestler.

EDIT:
Ya it pretty much becomes a balancing act. But hot damn did I use the kick more than ever. Kick, kick, kick, kick, kick hahahaha./

Yeah, kick was essential in the first one as well. Even larger groups of Infected were somewhat manageable, if you didn't get surrounded. That of course didn't go so well among the guarantine zone's endless Infected waves.

I'm in though I cant get the discount at greenman says "unable to add voucher" (it USED to give cash/credit if you bought but that deal seems to have gone)

Karak

Yeah, kick was essential in the first one as well. Even larger groups of Infected were somewhat manageable, if you didn't get surrounded. That of course didn't go so well among the guarantine zone's endless Infected waves.

Ya I used it even more in this game though. The wrestler is great.

-BLITZ-

Doesn't seem that bad, if they keep the amount of Infected in check.

And this was just footage of Pre Alpha build. It looks pretty well design for defense, close combat and urgent escaping routes from zombies for such small selters, but I'm aware that I they will become part of the gameplay, being repeated too often. Please, don't be like that.

Why have they not shown any actual game play for this? It seems odd that the only actual thing I've seen for this game is the original screenshots of the gang on the boat. Which was released over a year ago.

You can watch on Youtube now, if you set by date - last 24 hours. Not much, just some walkthroughs.

It just does not bode well for a game when they don't actually show anything until someone manages to bootleg or get an early release of a copy and leak it onto Youtube for you to actually get a proper look at the game. I dunno, I'm hopeful I guess as I'm looking to give this to a buddy so him and I can co-op the game, though, I do have my reservations.

Melchiah

It just does not bode well for a game when they don't actually show anything until someone manages to bootleg or get an early release of a copy and leak it onto Youtube for you to actually get a proper look at the game. I dunno, I'm hopeful I guess as I'm looking to give this to a buddy so him and I can co-op the game, though, I do have my reservations.

Like I said, they've shown gameplay material on their FB site from January onwards.

This is the first gameplay video they posted.
http://youtu.be/W1pe2ulIvvU

wow bunch of cool games out same time, definitely want to get dark arisen since I never finished the original but loved the game. getting the 3DS chase begins also, and am tempted to get star trek at $37 with greenman voucher.

Ricker

Just got the call from EBGames,should get the steel case and the backpack(360 version) on Thuesday...First game was tons of fun co-op,online,offline also but much harder,can't wait to pick it up...I am delaying getting DD Dark Arisen a few weeks because of this and still playing Defiance...

Twinduct

Kick, make them stumble, stamp on head. Satisfying and quick.

For the first 4 hours of the game I kicked them down then wailed their face with my fists! Of Course I had to change tactics eventually but I really REALLY loved doing that.

In fact gonna boot up DI again just to do that!

I've been working through the PC version of the first game and enjoying it quite a bit. The only area that I have hated so far is the sewers. They kind of feel like they lack any inspiration from a design aspect. I'll pick this up at some point on the PC when it goes on sale since the only issue I have so far on the PC is some slight screen tearing vs. how cruddy this ran on consoles.

pa22word

Just a heads up for people interested in this game:

My local walmart seems to have broken the street date and are apparently selling copies atm. Might be lucrative to go check out your own walmart if you're interested.

Enco

Isn't that how you see your coop partners as well? I never played coop...
Nope. You seem them normally.

Awful launch but the game was actually pretty awesome.

The gore and fighting was amazing. Breaking limbs and cutting off chunks of flesh is gross and awesome.

Melchiah

Oh dear. 3.5GB on my end. I hope that decompresses to be larger. Fist game is 9GB.

Well, the first was too long for its own good (city & sewers especially, 49 hours total for me), and to my understanding Riptide isn't a full-fledged sequel. Trimming the fat could actually make it better.

Despite being the sequel to Dead Island, Deep Silver's Aubrey Norris had said that it's not "Dead Island 2" itself, hinting that there may be future plans for the series.

Karak

Just a heads up for people interested in this game:

My local walmart seems to have broken the street date and are apparently selling copies atm. Might be lucrative to go check out your own walmart if you're interested.

Yep. Smaller stores broke it many days ago and Walmart, Fred Meyer, Target, in various areas are all selling it. The key to getting early. Preorder it from a local store, even better if its a small store. Most employees will call you the day it comes in. Countless games can be bought 1-2 weeks early easily this way.
Or know someone at your local gameshop ;)

Oh dear. 3.5GB on my end. I hope that decompresses to be larger. Fist game is 9GB.

I would assume so. The game looks better than the original(despite the FPS issues).

Melchiah

Yep. Smaller stores broke it many days ago and Walmart, Fred Meyer, Target, in various areas are all selling it. The key to getting early. Preorder it. Most employees will call you the day it comes in :)

I hope that applies here as well. It's a long wait for next friday.

Karak

I hope that applies here as well. It's a long wait for next friday.

Honestly I would say I have received 70 games early just this gen. You should try older and newer systems alike. If you don't know someone at a small local shop, just discuss games with your local employee at those shops and then preorder. Like I said many times they will just call and not check the date. The Walmart breaks are notorious. But even better are the smaller companies like a Fred Meyer(seriously they never check here) and Target(sometimes check and depends on if its in the system).

Good luck. Despite my review I would LOVE more eyes on the game as I love these guys.

Melchiah

Honestly I would say I have received 70 games early just this gen. You should try. If you don't know someone at a small local shop, just discuss games with your local employee at those shops and then preorder. Like I said many times they will just call and not check the date. The Walmart breaks are notorious. But even better are the smaller companies like a Fred Meyer(seriously they never check here) and Target(sometimes check and depends on if its in the system)

I pre-ordered it earlier today. We'll see how it goes when the weekend is over. I've received a couple of games before the release date from the same place, so it wouldn't be the first time. Fingers crossed.

Karak

I pre-ordered it earlier today. We'll see how it goes when the weekend is over. I've received a couple of games before the release date from the same place, so it wouldn't be the first time. Fingers crossed.

I can't remember did you say what character you will run as?

If I can figure out the low FPS nausea thing that keeps hitting me I wanted to replay it with the new guy. I spent about 2 hours with him and liked what I saw but revered to the gun lady.

Melchiah

I can't remember did you say what character you will run as?

If I can figure out the low FPS nausea thing that keeps hitting me I wanted to replay it with the new guy. I spent about 2 hours with him and liked what I saw but revered to the gun lady.

Yep, I'll continue with Xian Mei. Love the extra damage for sharp weapons, like machetes and katanas, my go-to tools of the trade.

I haven't so far experienced nausea in any FPS game. Knock wood.

Melchiah

Updated OP with some screenshots and hawt rap music

That's the thing I hated the most in the first. Especially as the game started every time with that when you booted it up. I just couldn't stand it. Hopefully they've changed it in this.

Dawg

That's the thing I hated the most in the first. Especially as the game started every time with that when you booted it up. I just couldn't stand it. Hopefully they've changed it in this.

but

but

but...

I liked Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch

Would it still be worth playing the first game ? I've had some interest in trying it but never pulled the trigger when it came to buying it

Top Bottom