• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

I personally think so. It just depends on how you get it. On sale, rental or buy.

it's been on sale on gmg for $4.99 so that's why im once again considering it

Edit: I'd also be playing sp for the most part anyway so how much would that effect my experience playing it ?

Karak

it's been on sale on gmg for $4.99 so that's why im once again considering it

Edit: I'd also be playing sp for the most part anyway so how much would that effect my experience playing it ?

I have played the game through 3 times by myself. At times it WILL be harder but a bit more grinding and some use of the kick button. You will love it.
Actually the game really feels different in singleplayer and its very fun.

I have played the game through 3 times by myself. At times it WILL be harder but a bit more grinding and some use of the kick button. You will love it.
Actually the game really feels different in singleplayer and its very fun.

I've found that the people who LOVE Dead Island are the ones who played it through solo. To me, it was an awesome single player action RPG, and although playing co-op for an hour was fun, it really took something away from
the experience. Those who only tried Dead Island in co-op should really give it a shot solo, IMHO

I've found that the people who LOVE Dead Island are the ones who played it through solo. To me, it was an awesome single player action RPG, and although playing co-op for an hour was fun, it really took something away from
the experience. Those who only tried Dead Island in co-op should really give it a shot solo, IMHO

I played through Riptide solo mostly cept for a few hours here and there. Still had fun. Wish I could say more but ya know. Embargo and stuff.

Grumbul

I played through Riptide solo mostly cept for a few hours here and there. Still had fun. Wish I could say more but ya know. Embargo and stuff.

Same here - I really enjoyed the atmosphere on the island and took my time exploring everything I could. That never translated well in co-op where everyone I played with seemed obsessed in getting to the next map marker directly and asap.

Same for a lot of games I suppose.

EDIT: Sorry I meant the original Dead Island, not Riptide.

Dead Island was highly enjoyable solo, so I expect Riptide to be as well. I guess it will be tougher though. When does the embargo end?

"review embargo lifts April 22 at midnight Pacific" So Monday if I'm reading that right! :p Shot some live action footage for my review today. :p

SJRB

Gold Member
Not sure how, but people are streaming this game already.

Had to take a good look, the UI and everything is pretty much identical to the original.

Twinduct

Only played Co-op once. Asshat kept running past pacts aggroing them.
Asked him to not do it, he said fuck you and then made a racial slur about my country.

So yeah didn't fancy doing it again!

SJRB

Gold Member
Only played Co-op once. Asshat kept running past pacts aggroing them.
Asked him to not do it, he said fuck you and then made a racial slur about my country.

So yeah didn't fancy doing it again!

Don't let one bad experience deter you from online play, good sir. There are plenty of good people out there.

therapist

Buying this on pc tuesday.

If anyone wants to play some coop , im beetlejuice622 on steam :)

Please have a mic , its needed for coop =P

Also , the SP did feel different in the first , but i cant really say as i only played 2 player coop.

But i did beat the first 2x in SP , loved it - until my game glitched and every weapon past level 50 had negative stats...yea...was strange.

Melchiah

No rap music intro at all.

Yay! =) I just don't think rap, rock or metal fits the mood of a horror game, or movie for that matter.

That certainly applies to me, although I would have liked to try it with a friend, but the only one who had the game had already finished it long before I started. Perhaps this time is different, when I'll be there on day 1.

Bollocks

Not to downplay anyone's anticipation but I'm surprised people are looking forward to it.
Personally I thought DI was a mediocre game at best. I finished it(coop) and even though I like coop games this was one of the weaker ones. Despite the monotonous gameplay my main gripe with the game was the graphics engine, screen tearing, choppy framerate and overall unpolished was enough to turn me off from any possible sequel.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yay! =) I just don't think rap, rock or metal fits the mood of a horror game, or movie for that matter.

That certainly applies to me, although I would have liked to try it with a friend, but the only one who had the game had already finished it long before I started. Perhaps this time is different, when I'll be there on day 1.

Rap fit since it was the reason one of the characters was on the island in the first place. Fit the setting quite well of how things started with that little intro bit setting the mood of the island.

therapist

Not to downplay anyone's anticipation but I'm surprised people are looking forward to it.
Personally I thought DI was a mediocre game at best. I finished it(coop) and even though I like coop games this was one of the weaker ones. Despite the monotonous gameplay my main gripe with the game was the graphics engine, screen tearing, choppy framerate and overall unpolished was enough to turn me off from any possible sequel.

There were helpers for the pc version that fixed all of what youre mentionting.

Dead Island Helper its called.

If youre talking console , i cant comment...

Melchiah

I'd wager the single player experience made the game better, at least atmosphere-wise. Personally I didn't have any issues with PS3 version, apart from a couple of inventory-related bugs (gear disappearing after modding, which luckily could be reversed by returning to the last save). I think the resort and jungle areas in particular were sights to behold.

Rap fit since it was the reason one of the characters was on the island in the first place. Fit the setting quite well of how things started with that little intro bit setting the mood of the island.

You could argue, that does the game need such a character, does it serve any actual purpose, or add anything to the game's theme? After all, he could have been a rocker, or a metalhead as well. Now, that I'm thinking about it, a reggae dude might have been the most fitting for the context. =)

I think a more traditional Hawaiian party tune would have been better for that party scene, especially if they wanted it to create a contrast for what was to follow.

Really loved the first one, and really wanted another one when I finished it.

However, I could not be less hyped about this.

Weird.

Pretty much. I think it's because of the lack of a 2 in the title and the seemingly huge lack of legitimate improvements and additions. Plus the trailers have been horrible.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
From a first person melee perspective I couldn't be happier that this and Zeno Clash 2 are coming out within a week of each other. Wouldn't really mean much to many people but I'm pretty excited since it's a style of game that's not really very common and I love it :) Really interested to see how the martial arts character in Riptide shapes up as well.

Ricker

So the first one is worth playing? I heard it wasn't too good, so I avoided it despite being a huge zombie fan.

I can't see how you would hate this if you are a huge Zombie fan,unless you hate 3rd person games,it is not a shooter per say at first also,it's all melee and kick gameplay at first with everything that's lying on the ground to bash with hehe...also can be a little hard at times at the start,when you start getting the ones that rush you...plus you can find the game really really cheap these days, even on consoles..

Karak

Dead Island was highly enjoyable solo, so I expect Riptide to be as well. I guess it will be tougher though. When does the embargo end?

There are a good number of us who got it from stores who broke the street date(walkmart is verified, so is Fred Meyer, and countless smaller places). I did a Review and I think maybe 5-6 others are doing walkthroughs. If you are interested in that kind of take.

The destructoid review. Damn.

pretty much what i expected.
i loved the first game but im not in for a rip off.

Hmmm its 10 dollars cheaper, has all the features of the original game plus some improvements and tweaks. Sounds like something for fans of the original. Not sure what people were expecting. If you think it's a rip off, don't know what to tell you. This isn't a 5 hour campaign or something. You can get a good 15- 20 hours or so out of it if you explore and don't rush just the campaign.

Karak

Googlecache version of the destructiod review.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d.com/review-dead-island-riptide-252112.phtml

They hammered on it hard. I found it adequate-good, I gave it a Rental rating or something around a 7-7.5.

Agreed the game was fantastic in singleplayer in my experience. It also allowed you to really explore more as many times having others in your game can speed you along. The stuff I found in DI the first time I played it alone was amazing.

Dawg

Previous DI Destructoid review: http://www.destructoid.com/review-dead-island-210611.phtml

If you compare both, I'd say Riptide is about the same as the first game, just more content. I don't think Jim Sterling hates Riptide, I just think he hammered the game because there's almost nothing new, only more content. And he only gave the first game a 7/10, so a 5/10 is kinda expected.

I'd say: wait for more reviews. Sterling's reviews are usually 'different' than the rest, although I wouldn't be surprised if this game will get an average of 60-70% (or less).

Doomshine

Unfortunately I suspect that the Destructoid review is true. I was legitimately hype for the game a few weeks ago, but I decided to look at some gameplay footage and it was just way too much like the first game... and I say that as someone who loved it.

I think I'll wait for a proper sequel or a price drop.

Can't wait to see reviews for this game. Since I've had no interests in any game coming out I have lots of spare money in my pocket for almost any game. As long as the game has some sort of differentiation from the regular Dead Island, I'll pick it up. I really enjoyed the last game, and with most of my gripes about the game being supposedly fixed in this game then i might pick this up.

Here's hoping for the best.

I'm kind of okay if it's just same game, more content. I've been tempted to replay the first game anyways, so more of the same is good

Melchiah

I'm kind of okay if it's just same game, more content. I've been tempted to replay the first game anyways, so more of the same is good

Same here. No need to reinvent the wheel. I'm actually a bit sceptical about the inclusion of the hub defense missions. Hopefully they work reasonably well, and aren't a pain in the ass to get past.

Karak

Unfortunately I suspect that the Destructoid review is true. I was legitimately hype for the game a few weeks ago, but I decided to look at some gameplay footage and it was just way too much like the first game... and I say that as someone who loved it.

I think I'll wait for a proper sequel or a price drop.

The review is pretty much spot on from my own playthrough. But I don't care if its MORE OF THE SAME. As I liked the original and so I didn't lower the score for being more of the same.

Same here. No need to reinvent the wheel. I'm actually a bit sceptical about the inclusion of the hub defense missions. Hopefully they work reasonably well, and aren't a pain in the ass to get past.

I personally think you will be VERY pleasantly surprised but I would love to hear what you think once you get to try. They were also not a pain. At least to me.

kazebyaka

Banned
I wanted to check it out, but seeing this review i'll pass. It looks as bad as first one. And first one was good only the first hour or two.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is this version more solo friendly? The person I played through the first one with doesn't play games anymore.

Melchiah

I personally think you will be VERY pleasantly surprised but I would love to hear what you think once you get to try. They were also not a pain. At least to me.

Good to hear, as I'm playing solo. =) I'll post my thoughts here after I've experienced at least one of the defense missions.

Is the PS3 version of the first game patched to a passable level yet?

It was completely playable, when I played it through last November.

Karak

Is this version more solo friendly? The person I played through the first one with doesn't play games anymore.

It is a bit harder up front than the original, in my opinion, but over an hour or maybe 2 that becomes more manageable. Smart thinking and awareness pay off more than it did in the first game where you could solo a bit more free.

That was pretty much echoed by all the others I talked to in the IRC I frequented about this earlier.

It is a bit harder up front than the original, in my opinion, but over an hour or maybe 2 that becomes more manageable. Smart thinking and awareness pay off more than it did in the first game where you could solo a bit more free.

That was pretty much echoed by all the others I talked to in the IRC I frequented about this earlier.

Were you all starting new characters? I know I loaded my level 45 Logan and never felt the game go that hard even from the start.

Hawk SE

Were you all starting new characters? I know I loaded my level 45 Logan and never felt the game go that hard even from the start.

I imported my previous character and then started a new one to check out the new character.

Can't wait until the embargo lifts and I can post my review. It's going to be an interesting show...

DEADEVIL

Awesome. Forgot this was coming so soon. Need to preorder tomorrow.

Loved the first one.

Had the game for awhile and didn't finish until it was in backlog status. Not this one. Will be all over this.

codhand

Is the PS3 version of the first game patched to a passable level yet?

launch ps3 version was fine for me.

i loved the first DI but tried to replay it recently on PC, woof, wow it doesn't hold up.

i paid 39.99 on Steam, so my expectations arent high, plus coop should make it better.

Karak

Well as my post said...it was a "bit" harder. Not something really worth worrying about for people just be ready for.

But I discuss the spread in my review on youtube. Checked it out with a fresh and a character from the original. But I wasn't level 45.

I also watched a couple more reviews today on youtube and another really good playthrough started with a level 1 character and it looked like they got through it in the same way.

The most important thing to me will be what people think of the new character ;)

I also watched a couple more reviews today on youtube and another really good playthrough started with a level 1 character and it looked like they got through it in the same way.

The most important thing to me will be what people think of the new character ;)

Well I'm under embargo with my review till later tonight, but I'll be sure to post it in here. While I understand some of the complaints I've read, some I'm a bit boggled by aka like constant frame rate issues, etc. Though like you said in response to my reply, maybe depends on the xbox system. Yet you can clearly see in the various footage I show in my video review there is not a constant issue with the frame rate on my end.

Karak

Well I'm under embargo with my review till later tonight, but I'll be sure to post it in here. While I understand some of the complaints I've read, some I'm a bit boggled by aka like constant frame rate issues, etc. Though like you said in response to my reply, maybe depends on the xbox system. Yet you can clearly see in the various footage I show in my video review there is not a constant issue with the frame rate on my end.

Ya framerate issues are the one consistent I keep reading about or hearing about. Some of the walkthroughs being shown on the video sites right now really ram that issue home.

So regardless it looks like we have SOME way of getting a usable fps. Its just going to take some detective work to figure out what the issue is. Cache, harddrive and so forth. Could be another Dragons Dogma but god lets hope not! This issue with like hardware getting different FPS isn't new sadly.

Rumor is one of the big gun websites is having serious issues with it. But we will see if that continues or how/if it was bad enough to get into their review. I have heard people quote dips to 15 frames a second. I wouldn't say our copy went that low at all. I would say dips into low 20's and even lower in the first level in the boat. After that it was a bit more steady but bad enough that it felt different than DI. Which I just beat again 3 days ago in plans to review this.

So regardless it looks like we have SOME way of getting a usable fps. Its just going to take some detective work to figure out what the issue is. Cache, harddrive and so forth. Could be another Dragons Dogma but god lets hope not! This issue with like hardware getting different FPS isn't new sadly.

Yeah I know a buddy of mine with a PS3 review copy stated he was having some issues with framerate when about to hit enemies. I'm on 360. Newer model console. Game was installed. I can say that much, with 85gb free.

Karak

Yeah I know a buddy of mine with a PS3 review copy stated he was having some issues with framerate when about to hit enemies. I'm on 360. Newer model console. Game was installed. I can say that much, with 85gb free.

Actually I should have dropped my data.

3 Xbox's tested(guesses on overall size of the HD and space)

new with around 60
new with around 90
Old with around 35

All installed. I finally gave up and used the new with 60 gigs because I may come back to this game later.The PS3(enemies) issue is on one of the youtube playthroughs as well. I guess it looks worse just due to the high overall enemy count in the game in the first place.
As I said in my review I actually think it looks better than the original. But runs a bit worse. Thanks I'm excited to read any reviews. Regardless of the actual performance I rated it a rent for a reason. I actually liked it enough to care about its performance :)

Top Bottom