• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

MrBS

75% through.

I hit the level 70 cap earlier. The moment I hit that cap a great deal of motivation to do the side quests and kill enemies vanished. Still doing the side quests to get but things are going quicker now that I just run around all the enemies I can avoid.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Been having a blast with this, decided to start playing as John (didn't have a previous save, playing PC whilst I played DI on 360) and I'm digging my electricity claw. Can you get 2 claws at all ? Only have one claw at the minute sadly.

With the first game I only played it in coop but noone else I know is playing this on PC so its single player for me. As a single player experience I must admit I'm really enjoying it, it almost feels more intense in a way and I quite like how alone you can feel travelling about.

Anyway it's more of the same and that's ok by me :)

I didn't think they could make an enemy worse than the Infected, but they did it. Two, in fact. One is the standard Walkers that will throw knives at you. In this game, they're completely capable of one-shotting you at full health. In the last game they were just a minor inconvenience, but now it's fucking ridiculous. Meamwhile, the Screamer not only soaks up a ridiculous amount of bullets, but can briefly prevent you from attacking while everything else in a horde tears you apart. It also doesn't help that they spawn on every other street corner similar to Rams in the first game.

I am playing this on the 360 and jus started having some big problems.

My girl and I bought two of these games so we could play Co-Op over system link. Everything was going great the first few days we played but today we started having major problems. No matter who hosted it, the connecting player would experience a hard lock about 5 minutes in. This would happen consistently, no matter who hosted, no matter where we were and no matter what was going on.

Needless to say we are pretty pissed because we bought this game exclusively for Co-Op and its broken and there is nothing we can do. Can't refund video games, so we have to just wait and hope a patch fixes it. Glad I paid full price for two broken games.

I didn't think they could make an enemy worse than the Infected, but they did it. Two, in fact. One is the standard Walkers that will throw knives at you. In this game, they're completely capable of one-shotting you at full health. In the last game they were just a minor inconvenience, but now it's fucking ridiculous. Meamwhile, the Screamer not only soaks up a ridiculous amount of bullets, but can briefly prevent you from attacking while everything else in a horde tears you apart. It also doesn't help that they spawn on every other street corner similar to Rams in the first game.

Yeah, they will always go for the head shot, and if they get that headshot, you're a goner..if you see an enemy with a knife, that's an automatic priority..

The screamers are another matter..those things are supposed to be weak at hand to hand, but they will mess you up if they get in close..I think they forgot to nerf her like the description says.

Krakn3Dfx

Played the crap out of this over the weekend on the PC, some coop, some single player. If I have one complaint, it's how the coop quest stuff doesn't carry back into the SP game, I know it's not ideal, but if you're going to have a 4-player coop game, you need to figure out a way that people don't need to replay entire hours of stuff just because they jumped into a friend's game that is only 2-3 main quest line missions ahead of you, it's just infuriating.

Otherwise, I'm loving it. The analog combat is still just as visceral and satisfying as it was in the original game, and the few changes they made have been by and large for the better.

AkuMifune

Banned
Had fun playing over the weekend for a while. Made it to the mini-boss 'Quickdeath'. He murdered me a dozen times in a row and I lost everything. Good times!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, pretty pointless, smacks of laziness really.

Laziness? From Techland? Naw... :)

I enjoy the game plenty but I feel I'm right at the cusp of it turning sour and walking away from it. A little concerned because I've been thorough in the first act so to speak, and I'm in the high 40s.

Melchiah

A few emails and Twitter exchanges later and they managed to resolve it for me.

I have to say the level of customer service I received after my initial concerns were addressed was second to none.

It was actually Igor Cipolletta (CEO) who managed to resolve the issue after some communications with Koch Media.

Stunning level of support in this day and age.

I e-mailed Koch Media on friday due to your advice, and just got the missing DLC code. So, thanks to you and them for help.

MrBS

I beat this last night. Just over 20 hours and that's with every side quest, optional area done I could find. When I reached the point of no return I went ahead and ended the game. Not motivated to finish the couple quests I missed. A bit hard to recommend for the $30 I paid for it but at the right price there is some fun to be had.

Laziness? From Techland? Naw... :)

I enjoy the game plenty but I feel I'm right at the cusp of it turning sour and walking away from it. A little concerned because I've been thorough in the first act so to speak, and I'm in the high 40s.

Did you start at 15? or imported a high character? Focus on optimal Zombie dispatching and you'll enjoy it more, I'm stocking up on sonic mines and sonic pulse bombs for the moments when it gets too tough to handle, but the best part about the fetch quests is killing everything that stands between you and your goal.

My Katana shocks zombies as i behead them..I beat them and I'm actually playing it again..New game plus lets you keep all your inventory.. ALL OF IT. so I'm running through the beginning with an electric shotgun and rocket launcher , with a shock AR for good measure.

ksdixon

I am sure I read that you could carry over your progress (level ups, weapons, money) from DI1 to DI:Riptide?

My brother has DE:Riptide and whereas he is a level 50 Sam B on DI1, he cant find a way to import his progress into Riptide. Did I read wrong or misunderstand something?

Majmun

I am sure I read that you could carry over your progress (level ups, weapons, money) from DI1 to DI:Riptide?

My brother has DE:Riptide and whereas he is a level 50 Sam B on DI1, he cant find a way to import his progress into Riptide. Did I read wrong or misunderstand something?

I have just begun playing Riptide and only my lvl and skill set are transferred from the original game.

It should be possible. Did he import the first game, or what? Don't think that save files are region-free.

ksdixon

Found out that you have to press Y at the character selection screen. That worked for my brother. Though he's a bit miffed. "He got onto the plane with all that stuff, why wouldn't he get off the plane with all of it?"

Melchiah

Fuuuuu... I got the Survivor Pack DLC code after some hassles, but it seems the game doesn't recognize it, as there is no BBQ Blade in my inventory.

jond76

Banned
Found out that you have to press Y at the character selection screen. That worked for my brother. Though he's a bit miffed. "He got onto the plane with all that stuff, why wouldn't he get off the plane with all of it?"

The easy answer is, they were taken into custody. Its makes sense narratively.

I am playing this on the 360 and jus started having some big problems.

My girl and I bought two of these games so we could play Co-Op over system link. Everything was going great the first few days we played but today we started having major problems. No matter who hosted it, the connecting player would experience a hard lock about 5 minutes in. This would happen consistently, no matter who hosted, no matter where we were and no matter what was going on.

Needless to say we are pretty pissed because we bought this game exclusively for Co-Op and its broken and there is nothing we can do. Can't refund video games, so we have to just wait and hope a patch fixes it. Glad I paid full price for two broken games.

Me and my friends were having this issue playing co-op over XBL and I sent an email to Deepsilver about the issue here's thier reply:

We have been getting multiple reports of similar issues occurring when joining coop games on the Xbox 360 since yesterday, whereas we didn't receive any reports at all on release day.
We believe this might be caused by a temporary server problem on Microsoft's side due to high traffic.
We hope that this problem will be solved soon.
Please try again at a later time to find out if the problem still persists.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

you may want to email their support and let them know its their game that's broken and not XBL

techsupport@deepsilver.com

Well I've played a fair bit on and off co-op now and never had these issues. So not sure what is causing the issue. Bummer though.

ksdixon

We have been getting multiple reports of similar issues occurring when joining coop games on the Xbox 360 since yesterday, whereas we didn't receive any reports at all on release day.
We believe this might be caused by a temporary server problem on Microsoft's side due to high traffic.
We hope that this problem will be solved soon.
Please try again at a later time to find out if the problem still persists.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused.

Your always online console future, ladies and gentlemen. It's not our internet going down that most are worried about. It's Xbox Live, It's PSN, It's EA/Origin, It's UPLAY... Does no one else remember the other Christmas where no one could play their Ubisoft games due to the UPLAY servers going down? Or the PSN security hack back in 2010 or 2011? At the very least, even if it's not console-wide, both companies seem to be willing to put always online in place on a game-by-game basis at publisher/developer request. I am so not looking forward to this...

Melchiah

Your always online console future, ladies and gentlemen. It's not our internet going down that most are worried about. It's Xbox Live, It's PSN, It's EA/Origin, It's UPLAY... Does no one else remember the other Christmas where no one could play their Ubisoft games due to the UPLAY servers going down? Or the PSN security hack back in 2010 or 2011? At the very least, even if it's not console-wide, both companies seem to be willing to put always online in place on a game-by-game basis at publisher/developer request. I am so not looking forward to this...

Well, to be fair it doesn't affect those who play by themselves at all.

Xpliskin

As someone who hated the first game (it's just so repetitive) and stopped at
Chapter 2(or 3) : the village with the church
, should I even consider trying this ?
Is it really the same ?

derFeef

Is it really the same ?

You will not like this game if you did not like the first game.

Produce

Is it really the same ?

It is really the same. If you hated the first, save your money.

Me and my friends were having this issue playing co-op over XBL and I sent an email to Deepsilver about the issue here's thier reply:

you may want to email their support and let them know its their game that's broken and not XBL

techsupport@deepsilver.com

That response is the biggest load of shit I have ever seen. It has nothing to do with Live and all to do with their terribly buggy game. Even if the Live servers are getting hammered (doubtful), it shouldn't cause the game and console to hard lock. It sounds like them refusing to take ownership of the issue and pawning it off to the nebulous "Live problems."

Edit: Also because we play through System Link, so I am pretty sure Live has little to do with that.

Melchiah

Just got this in the mail:
jV8fiHTKia3aY.JPG

Here's a link, if someone's interested in partaking: http://raptr.com/Grimsilver/news/518022a2be472c7f1e/raptr-q-a-dead-island-riptide

just beat the campaign and I feel so unfulfilled.

after killing Harlow, I totally expected to have a climactic fight with Serpo and finally fuck him up royally. Instead, I get an awkward exchange with him (without explanation for how he escaped from the survivors), leave him to die by some zombies, the one character I really cared for in this game (Jacqueline) is presumably killed by seiging zombies), and the 5 main characters are implied to have turned in an ambiguous as fuck ending.

at least the first game's ending was "solid", even though the rest of the story was a plothole-ridden clusterfuck

That response is the biggest load of shit I have ever seen. It has nothing to do with Live and all to do with their terribly buggy game. Even if the Live servers are getting hammered (doubtful), it shouldn't cause the game and console to hard lock. It sounds like them refusing to take ownership of the issue and pawning it off to the nebulous "Live problems."

Edit: Also because we play through System Link, so I am pretty sure Live has little to do with that.

yeah that's why I replied to your post if you're playing system link and I'm playing over LIVE and we have the exact same issue it has fuck all to do with LIVE and everything to do with the games netcode itself.

on a side note I imported my lvl 49 Sam B and just hit lvl 70 and am having a difficult time continuing on. Hopefully there are more orange mods and developer mods to find. The weapon mods are more plentiful and better in this iteration

yeah that's why I replied to your post if you're playing system link and I'm playing over LIVE and we have the exact same issue it has fuck all to do with LIVE and everything to do with the games netcode itself.

on a side note I imported my lvl 49 Sam B and just hit lvl 70 and am having a difficult time continuing on. Hopefully there are more orange mods and developer mods to find. The weapon mods are more plentiful and better in this iteration

Sorry man, I didn't mean for that to come off like I was upset at you. Just pissed off because I can't play a game with my fiancé that we paid for.

I am also extra pissed because this is what I recieved when I emailed their tech support:

we have today been getting similar reports from users playing coop system-link.
We have heard from the developer that they are working on the next patch. We do not yet know which issues will be addressed by the next patch, or when it will be released. We hope that this will be among the issues addressed.
We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused.

That answer is so stupid and pointless that it is almost offensive.

nashb81

Neo Member
Anyone else getting crappy frame rates on the PC version? I've even installed the Riptide helper, but it doesn't seem to help. And most of the time, the helper just crashes my game. Got a pretty beefy rig btw.

blade85

Neo Member
Got this yesterday and as was the case with the first game, I am loving the crazy coop. Its just so much fun blasting away/chopping up zombies with friends online in an open world with lots of random quests...

Good times...

christ, I started New Game+ and I spawned on the beginning beach, but with no quests available (Harlow didn't spawn and give me the initial quest to reach Paradise). However, I had my weapons. I reset and started the game from the Continue option instead of the Load Game option, which put me through the prologue instead. I had a bad feeling in my gut the whole time, and it ultimately proved true when I finished the prologue and spawned on the beach with all my weapons taken away from me, but literally everything else in my inventory remained, including my throwables.

That is insanely broken. I don't know whose bright idea it was to cause you to lose your weapons once you clear the prologue, but I blame them for this, because they can't even disable that part for New Game+. Hell, even my weapons that I had kept in one of the survivors' storage survived (which I suggest as a method to bypass this stupidity btw).

derFeef

After 10 hours I am having a hard time enjoying this like I did with DI :(
The first boat section is terrible. The QT event is very tricky and if you miss it they spam zombies at you and you die within seconds - after that you spawn at the dock again and have to WALK BACK TO THE BOAT, the checkpointing is just terrible.

The amount of zombies around is annoying, they gang up on you and the analogue combat is not very well suited for that. Digital is okay but it feels spammy and I run out of stamina too fast. Not to mention I feel like zombies spawn behind me very often.

I have not even finished the second chapter, still at the first zone.

nashb81

Neo Member
After 10 hours I am having a hard time enjoying this like I did with DI :(
The first boat section is terrible. The QT event is very tricky and if you miss it they spam zombies at you and you die within seconds - after that you spawn at the dock again and have to WALK BACK TO THE BOAT, the checkpointing is just terrible.

The amount of zombies around is annoying, they gang up on you and the analogue combat is not very well suited for that. Digital is okay but it feels spammy and I run out of stamina too fast. Not to mention I feel like zombies spawn behind me very often.

I have not even finished the second chapter, still at the first zone.

I felt the same way, but the game really picks up after an hour or two. And once you get guns, it becomes a lot easier to manage crowds. I do think the game is a bit on the tougher side, especially when played solo.

Dram

Did this game feel shorter compared to the original? Maybe it's because the original had more areas to explore? In this one there's only the first area and then the city.

DedValve

Banned
Hey guys, 360 player here. Loved the first one so I just got this one 2 days ago and currently
just got past the ferry and am now in the town theatre
and since my friend I was co-oping left for the week was wondering if I can get a full team going. I have a mic and am very relaxed and am a lvl 53 Purna. GT is DedValve.

PS first post on Gaf!

vazel

Banned
I just finished playing the game in the Steam free weekened. I liked it, this game felt like a melding of old school jankyness(complete with cheesy story) and modern game design.

I hope for the next Dead Island they overhaul the melee combat. The melee combat did get tedious; it would have been more fun if it had a block button or a shield mechanic(how about using trash can lids, etc.?), maybe even some grappling moves.

Melchiah

I just finished playing the game in the Steam free weekened. I liked it, this game felt like a melding of old school jankyness(complete with cheesy story) and modern game design.

I hope for the next Dead Island they overhaul the melee combat. The melee combat did get tedious; it would have been more fun if it had a block button or a shield mechanic(how about using trash can lids, etc.?), maybe even some grappling moves.

I finished it a couple of weeks ago as well, and found it pretty entertaining. Excluding the repetitive and tedious defense sections, and the end boss fight, which were clearly meant for team playing. I actually watched a playthrough video of the last fight on YouTube after I finished the game, and it seemed really easy when playing with a team.

vazel

Banned
I finished it a couple of weeks ago as well, and found it pretty entertaining. Excluding the repetitive and tedious defense sections, and the end boss fight, which were clearly meant for team playing. I actually watched a playthrough video of the last fight on YouTube after I finished the game, and it seemed really easy when playing with a team.
Did you craft effects into your weapons? The tougher enemies are easier to beat when you have weapons with poison/electricity effects, it causes them to become stunned for a few seconds. I had an AK that shot electric bullets and beating the final boss was easy with it, I only died twice but that was due to my own stupidity(I kept getting stuck in the environment which made me easy prey).

Melchiah

Did you craft effects into your weapons? The tougher enemies are easier to beat when you have weapons with poison/electricity effects, it causes them to become stunned for a few seconds. I had an AK that shot electric bullets and beating the final boss was easy with it, I only died twice but that was due to my own stupidity(I kept getting stuck in the environment which made me easy prey).

Yep, I used the Lightning Storm mod with a katana (+3000dmg), which had an area of effect attack, and similar mods with guns. My character was on 67-68 level, IIRC, so I had also maxed the sharp weapon damage, and most of the other damage attributes. The defense missions weren't hard, just tedious, but the last boss fight took me several tries.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Me and my friend are looking to pick up the first game or riptide.

Which has a better co-op experience? Just want to have fun fucking shit up and exploring an open world 100% together. In Left For Dead 2 special infected and seemingly being gimped with 2/4 players was annoying. I've also been annoyed with too much melee and low ammo in some games, depends on the animation and grindy play styles tho.

Also, how would it run on integrated graphics? I guess the sequel requires a better gpu?

Thanks!

Didn't want to start a LTTP thread on a game like this, but I played the first one a few months ago because it was free on Games With Gold and I just finished this one this last weekend.

If any of you liked Left 4 Dead you should like these games. I know the zombie thing is being used to death these days but these games were crazy enough to keep it fun.

Looking out for Dead Island 2 on current gen.

Top Bottom