• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Island Riptide |OT| More of the same, deal with it

Acorn

So both were in your Steam inventory before redeeming? Did you by chance have the first game? And if so, were you able to gift the GOTY version?
Sorry no both were just added to my library to be installed. I never had the goty version on steam.

AkuMifune

Banned
The level 1 guy in your group should be fitting level 1 zombies in his game. Does that make sense? Unless I'm totally remember things wrong.

There's an option for it. On PC at least you can choose to have the enemies scale to you or not in multiplayer games. So everyone is right, technically.

Played for a couple of hours on PC...like it so far. Seems less 'open world' than the first game, but I'm still really enjoying beating the shit outta zombies. Runs well too, no framerate issues here.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Anyone have any luck getting the coop working on steam? So far it's all connection issues with my friend.

codhand

Played for a couple of hours on PC...like it so far. Seems less 'open world' than the first game, but I'm still really enjoying beating the shit outta zombies. Runs well too, no framerate issues here.

it does look nice, with no issues.
i just played through to the tower defense part, and stopped, so far so good,

I'm really enjoying the game so far. John Morgan's crazy sprinting kicks are so damn fun. Nice to see as usual "professional" reviews should be taken with a grain of salt.

This is a cut and paste game. Wish I hadn't bought it.

Also, I said it before, I'll say it again. I want a hybrid control scheme. I just want to be able to analog attack when I want to (one-on-one with zombies) as it's more fun, but sometimes I want to just quick attack when there's two or more zombies around. There was literally no improvements from the first game. Everything is the same. Why did I give them my money?

This is where I'm at. Not really interested in the tropical setting yet again, but I'm still early on; so perhaps it changes. Still has that GOOFY running shadow. Combat seems less impactful, like the hits are slower or something. Voice acting seems worse than the first game. It was cheap, but I don't even know how much I will get through.

Also the HUD is hideous and even with all the stuff off I'm not seeing much of a difference. Visually there is improvement.

This is a cut and paste game. Wish I hadn't bought it.

Also, I said it before, I'll say it again. I want a hybrid control scheme. I just want to be able to analog attack when I want to (one-on-one with zombies) as it's more fun, but sometimes I want to just quick attack when there's two or more zombies around. There was literally no improvements from the first game. Everything is the same. Why did I give them my money?

If this were Dead Island 2 then I'd feel the same about the cut/paste thing, but it's meant to be like an expansion so I'm okay with it feeling too much like the first game.

On the PC, did they end up cleaning up the screen tearing? I still get it on DI, but its very minimal. Pretty much the only issue that I've had with the game.

On the PC, did they end up cleaning up the screen tearing? I still get it on DI, but its very minimal. Pretty much the only issue that I've had with the game.
It's still there.
I turned the VS off right away for better performance, and even with it off I haven't really noticed any significant tearing.
I've got a GTX680 i7-920@4Ghz/12gb ram and should be wrecking this game. With V sync on, fps crawls or the game crashes. With it off, it tears horrible and sometimes still randomly drops framerate. It seems to hover around 30fps about half the time the other half is closer to 20ish. It's terribly optimized. Controls feel sluggish. Maybe its the keyboard stutter you guys have been mentioning. But when i move it seems to take a half second to recognize the key press. Game is pretty horribly optimized. Managed to get co op working with Hamachi though, so theres that I guess

Nessus

Loved the original, loved the combat, loved the co-op, and it was the first game where I genuinely enjoyed the quests (unlike, say, Borderlands or random MMORPGs) and looked forward to the next one.

I loved how well the designers hid the invisible walls, I almost never felt like I was being artificially constrained with where I was allowed to go.

Someone here said Riptide is less open world. Is it really noticable?

Also the promo says you can only travel by boat. Do they just mean between islands or do they mean there are no more driving segments?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question folks, is the analogue combat controls still in the game ? Is controller support in the PC version and does it also have that option ?

It was such a great way to play the original that I'm hoping the expansion retains all that. If it does, I'm good to go.

Yerolo

Loved the original, loved the combat, loved the co-op, and it was the first game where I genuinely enjoyed the quests (unlike, say, Borderlands or random MMORPGs) and looked forward to the next one.

I loved how well the designers hid the invisible walls, I almost never felt like I was being artificially constrained with where I was allowed to go.

Someone here said Riptide is less open world. Is it really noticable?

Also the promo says you can only travel by boat. Do they just mean between islands or do they mean there are no more driving segments?

It definitely feels more linear than the early levels in Dead Island 1 (ie the resort areas); its on a par with the forest areas later in that game (well almost identical)

There are still driving sections, boats have just been added. The boats are not really that fun to be honest as there are a new zombie type (drowners) which are constantly trying to board your boat as you drive around. The boats themselves are pretty boring to drive as well

Quick question folks, is the analogue combat controls still in the game ? Is controller support in the PC version and does it also have that option ?

It was such a great way to play the original that I'm hoping the expansion retains all that. If it does, I'm good to go.

Yep, its all there like the original

Because it should have changed by now. After all, many games do get released worldwide simultaneously. Why shouldn't the overlooked party feel outraged?

It is not with every game any more. I bought plenty of games the last two years that were released on tuesday or wednesday. It is slowly but surely moving away from the always friday release schedule.

Melchiah

It is not with every game any more. I bought plenty of games the last two years that were released on tuesday or wednesday. It is slowly but surely moving away from the always friday release schedule.

Like I said as well, which is why it's even more annoying when something is delayed here. Especially if it's something you've been looking forward to. Reading others' impressions while you're still waiting is like rubbing salt to the wounds.

AkuMifune

Banned
So was/is co-op broken for everyone still? I see some issues in the steam thread but it doesn't seem consistent. I haven't been able to join anyone's game, always fails.

Right now I'm lvl 28 in Chapter 3, will probably be playing all week/weekend!

Surprised that there isn't more talk here. Granted this is more of an extension then a full blown sequel, I figured more people enjoyed this series then not. Not on GAF maybe? I know alot of local people I know just eat it up.

derFeef

Surprised that there isn't more talk here. Granted this is more of an extension then a full blown sequel, I figured more people enjoyed this series then not. Not on GAF maybe? I know alot of local people I know just eat it up.

Hmm, DI wasn't very popular either iirc. I can not play it yet - but I will post for sure on the weekend :)

dot

Guys, how is the online co-op/multiplayer on the pc version? Does it bug out and crash a lot like the first game?

I'm curious if they ever fixed that issue for this new game.

Dawg

Hmm, DI wasn't very popular either iirc. I can not play it yet - but I will post for sure on the weekend :)

I feel like Dead Island has never been the subject of popular threads or anything. It's one of the few games that sold A HUGE amount because of steam sales etc I think. It's like... EVERYONE has it in their steam list but nobody talks about it :p

Then again, the old |OT| has like 100+ pages but the first game had more hype.

theytookourjobz

Brought in my lvl33 Sam B. into the 360 version. Glad I just redboxed it. After playing most recently released shooters on my PC, the framerate on 360 is brutal. Might pick it up later on Steam.

Also the first 15 minutes are fucking awful.

Brought in my lvl33 Sam B. into the 360 version. Glad I just redboxed it. After playing most recently released shooters on my PC, the framerate on 360 is brutal. Might pick it up later on Steam.

Anything that involves a lot of water movement/splashing seems to kill the framerate. Of course, the first 15 minutes has to be all about that.

Filth

bought this on a whim yesterday cause 3 friends were getting it. wow talk about terrible performance on the 360. kind of regret buying it.

Guys, how is the online co-op/multiplayer on the pc version? Does it bug out and crash a lot like the first game?

I'm curious if they ever fixed that issue for this new game.

You need to use Hamachi to set up a lan game if you want to play with a buddy. I played about 3 hours of coop like that. Otherwise, no co op until a patch it seems. Shit game, but fun to play/mock with a buddy.

well I just experienced my first legitimately annoying bug. I ended up dying at the hands of a Suicider (explosion reached me through a wall for some reason, that's new), and instead of respawning nearby, it sent me all the way back to the starting hub almost halfway across the map

You need to use Hamachi to set up a lan game if you want to play with a buddy. I played about 3 hours of coop like that. Otherwise, no co op until a patch it seems. Shit game, but fun to play/mock with a buddy.

So they've basically released a broken game just like the first time?

So they've basically released a broken game just like the first time?

Pretty much. I really can't believe they didn't learn their lesson. Co op play is this games main selling point IMO and it doesn't even work 3 days later without the user having to find a work around. It's bullshit. The game doesn't even play that well, is horribly optimized, and is more of the same. It could have been an expansion pack and no one would have been surprised. Aliens:CM at least had functioning systems on it's release date, it just was a bad game. This doesn't have functioning systems and is also a bad game. I'm usually GAF's Beacon of Fucking Sunshine for most games, finding the sunny side of most things. But this, this game is a piece of shit. If it wasn't for the fact that my buddy wanted me to play with him for his birthday, which we are legitimately having fun because of how terrible it is(if that makes sense) I'd punch myself.

That got intense fast.

Zimbardo

Dead Island helper for Riptide released !

http://www.theplaywrite.com/tools-a...-performance-with-dead-island-riptide-helper/

Been playing with it a bit....game looks beautiful now. Can finally fix the keyboard stutter, FOV etc via the GUI :thumbsup

thanks for posting this ...the default FOV was makin me a tad dizzy at times.

i haven't tried multiplayer yet, but other than the shitty default FOV, the game seems to run fine ...no screen tearing issues, etc. (i have vsync turned on in the Nvidia control panel).

using a gtx680 4gig and the newest drivers 320.00.

anyway ...thanks again. this helps so much.

I truly regret buying this game..I'd actually been enjoying It, played to Chapter 5, and suddenly my save won't load..Doesn't say its corrupt but the time played says 64hrs .. I picked it up this morning.

No ******* way am I playing through all, that again.

Wouldn't be so bad if the first Dead Island didn't have issues with saves corrupting, and since the save system is still tripe, you can't have multiple saves of the same playthrough..

I should have rented it, didn't know It was available on Redbox for the PS3, or I would have went that route and not wasted 50 bones.

The girl and I almost stopped playing because of this. I have never had a FPS bother me before, but we both were getting incredibly nauseous from the boat section.

larvi

I truly regret buying this game..I'd actually been enjoying It, played to Chapter 5, and suddenly my save won't load..Doesn't say its corrupt but the time played says 64hrs .. I picked it up this morning.

No ******* way am I playing through all, that again.

Wouldn't be so bad if the first Dead Island didn't have issues with saves corrupting, and since the save system is still tripe, you can't have multiple saves of the same playthrough..

I should have rented it, didn't know It was available on Redbox for the PS3, or I would have went that route and not wasted 50 bones.

Did you have any modded weapons? I lost a save in the original due to corruption in the original and thought it was due to a unlimited ammo gun someone traded to me. But if the corruption is happening without that I'll definitely pass on this until it's fixed.

And you can have multiple saves (or could in the oringinal at least), just start a new game using your existing character and you will retain you old save and be able to create a new one.

Did you have any modded weapons? I lost a save in the original due to corruption in the original and thought it was due to a unlimited ammo gun someone traded to me. But if the corruption is happening without that I'll definitely pass on this until it's fixed.

And you can have multiple saves (or could in the oringinal at least), just start a new game using your existing character and you will retain you old save and be able to create a new one.

Yeah, I have a glut of modded weapons, throughout the game I was a modded weapon owning madman

It seems the only option i have in new game is to delete the save or start with a new character. I was able to back up my save, maybe I'll send it in to them so they can see why this sort of thing happens

Top Bottom