• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

ShinMaruku

Those new figures... 👀

Are you implying that DLC is going to carry forward to the new game? That would be unusually forward-thinking for Koei-Tecmo, but that also means that either the same model data is carrying over (and won't be much of a graphical upgrade) and they're not taking the opportunity to soak their fanbase for the DLC again (which Japanese developers seem to enjoy doing) or they're redoing the models and are going to give that away to their core playerbase (which is not without precedent in Games as a Service style games, but I just can't see them doing it).

I just hope they completely revamp the online experience. Even going from something like Tekken 7 (which is hardly ideal) to DoA5 is... jarring.

Since they have the ground work for it I am sure they could redo the models. What makes you think what I am implying that they will transfer the dlc models to people to just re download? Of course some of them will be have to be bought back. The liscencing ones will have to be rebought.

As fro doing online, I have no idea if they will or will not improve the online system, there are too much variables to account for that.

Since the f2p model was a success, maybe they will start DOA6 rather slim and expand upon it. The retail version will probably function like a season pass getting stuff like characters as they come out, modes like story, etc., and hopefully some costumes as they come out. The reason is this might happen is that a lot of work has been put into DOA5LR and I think transferring over what is already there and adding on to it might take too much time to do that all before it can release anytime soon for KT.

It will also be sad not to have the VF characters and Mai in the next version. I really like how they transferred over.

Hubb

Since the f2p model was a success, maybe they will start DOA6 rather slim and expand upon it. The retail version will probably function like a season pass getting stuff like characters as they come out, modes like story, etc., and hopefully some costumes as they come out. The reason is this might happen is that a lot of work has been put into DOA5LR and I think transferring over what is already there and adding on to it might take too much time to do that all before it can release anytime soon for KT.

Releasing slim and expanding has not exactly worked wonders for other games. At least the perception of those games is rocky. DoA can't afford to have a weak start out the gate, it has enough of a perception problem as is.

Unless you are just talking about them slimming the roster a bit and slowly expanding it. Even then, if they cut too many new characters without an obvious huge jump in models they will get some serious flack.

Releasing slim and expanding has not exactly worked wonders for other games. At least the perception of those games is rocky. DoA can't afford to have a weak start out the gate, it has enough of a perception problem as is.

Unless you are just talking about them slimming the roster a bit and slowly expanding it. Even then, if they cut too many new characters without an obvious huge jump in models they will get some serious flack.

Yea that is what I meant, like I doubt they would start right out of the gate with all the characters from DOA5LR in there (sort of like how not every girl but the voted ones were in DOAX3). I still expect the typical DOA stuff that is in every game like arcade mode, story, tag, survival, time attack, etc. They also need to add new and different things on top of what they put in to differentiate itself from DOA5.

Eolz

I can't see in any universe KT giving the previous DLC for free to those that bought it. No way.

That said, I'm sure there'll be good content at release just like Vanilla 5, and their prices might change a bit after what they've learned from 5's buyer habits.
At least they have a good model unlike SFV, it's just that the monstrous quantities of DLC change the perception of the game from those that don't play it.

I wonder how much DOA5 has sold? Will try to look it up when I get the chance.

If you count all copies, around 210k in Japan.
We don't know the WW numbers, but pretty sure it's more than 1M overall.
8+M that played the F2P version though and they're happy with the DLC numbers too.

Squire

Banned
Only 200k in Japan? Huh.

I'm sure they'll sell a hard copy, but I actually am curious if they do re-releases.

I think Capcom committing to NOT doing that for SFV has actually hurt them. They didn't set a good foundation for the game as a service and since they can't do a new retail SKU with refreshed branding/PR it's been much more difficult to rehabilitate the game's image, I think.

Hubb

Only 200k in Japan? Huh.

I'm sure they'll sell a hard copy, but I actually am curious if they do re-releases.

I think Capcom committing to NOT doing that for SFV has actually hurt them. They didn't set a good foundation for the game as a service and since they can't do a new retail SKU with refreshed branding/PR it's been much more difficult to rehabilitate the game's image, I think.

Capcom can, and they might do it. It is just that if they do it they have to offer it as a free update. Since they are doing DLC characters it probably won't be so bad for them. New free modes for current owners and a bunch of DLC characters released with it. People who buy SSFV or whatever it is called get all the characters bundled in with SSFV.

ShinMaruku

Capcom will not do that unless they are willing to expand their pipelines and structure development in a way that they can do dlc on a regular basis. We have then making marvel. Unless it can benefit both it is unlikely to be made. Maybe after that is finished and they iterate on sf5.

MikeMyers

I can't see in any universe KT giving the previous DLC for free to those that bought it. No way.

That said, I'm sure there'll be good content at release just like Vanilla 5, and their prices might change a bit after what they've learned from 5's buyer habits.
At least they have a good model unlike SFV, it's just that the monstrous quantities of DLC change the perception of the game from those that don't play it.

If you count all copies, around 210k in Japan.
We don't know the WW numbers, but pretty sure it's more than 1M overall.
8+M that played the F2P version though and they're happy with the DLC numbers too.

Interesting.

I'm sure the DLC brought in a lot of money too.

Interesting of all the 3D series, only Tekken got a sequel this gen. No new SC or VF either.

DR2K

Banned
Team Ninja has been working on tons of other projects. So DOA has taken a backseat. Not because it's dead like SC and VF, but because of how big their plate is.

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/891837149749723136

DLC on the 8th. I think it says red swimsuits for everyone?

Hmm, DOAX3 swimsuits incoming?

Naotora's there is Momiji's from X3

12283620151217_175813_3_big.jpg

All I have to say is that if the made the game and the characters look THIS good on last-gen hardware, I almost shudder to think what they'll produce this gen.

Squire

Banned
All I have to say is that if the made the game and the characters look THIS good on last-gen hardware, I almost shudder to think what they'll produce this gen.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, honestly. I'm sure it'll look nice, but they cut a lot of corners. And Nioh is nice looking from an artistic standpoint, but it's not exactly blowing the door off its hinges in terms of model/texture quality.

Eolz

Those prices... kanye-wtf.gif

They're actually fairly priced if you look at individual prices.
Characters are the same price as KI, costumes are cheaper than competitors, there's just tons of them.

I'm not gonna get my hopes up, honestly. I'm sure it'll look nice, but they cut a lot of corners. And Nioh is nice looking from an artistic standpoint, but it's not exactly blowing the door off its hinges in terms of model/texture quality.

Nioh had different priorities tbf, it'd be better to compare it to Ninja Gaiden than a fighting game.

Hubb

Nooooo the possibility of another season pass. I knew it was likely to happen, but I wanted to believe otherwise.

Eolz

Has there been another contest for Halloween costumes? If yes, there'll be a season pass likely stopping at Christmas like usual.
Wouldn't really have an impact on a DOA6 announcement, just disappointing.

First off, let me just say that I am a fucking idiot. I had installed the Core Fighters edition back when I first got a PS4 two years ago, but for some reason I just didn't stick with the game. Maybe the amount of costumes and DLC felt daunting, maybe I just didn't play enough of the characters, I don't know. But regardless, I dropped it.

Since then I've made an effort to improve at fighting games in general, particularly SF. The player that I am now is vastly different to the player that I was back then. I've always played fighting games but now I have more of a drive to play and explore as many as I can. Before I just used to dick around in fighting games. Now I've gotten pretty good at SF and decent at Tekken. I now have enough fighting game fundamentals (both 2D and 3D) that I can at least hold my own if nothing else.

So you can imagine my surprise when what can only be called an impulse purchase lead me to playing a game that I am enjoying the SHIT out of. I had always heard on GAF about the DLC and the costumes and the lots of female characters in this game but for some reason no one ever talked about the gameplay. My first indication is when someone made a thread about the obtuseness of the presentation of information in fighting games and someone pointed out the DoA 5 tutorial mode as being really robust and very informative. Now that I've tasted it, I see why.

God this game is so much fun. For the most part I've just been dicking around in training mode but that alone is just so enjoyable. The characters feel REALLY good to control, everyone hits HARD and Helena is bae.

The only thing is that I can't decide is who to play. Lisa is awesome and has a varied enough moveset that I really enjoy, but Helena is bae. Also Christie is fucking badass and has that sexy death stare at the character select screen that just makes me putty.

I regret getting into this game so late (ok maybe not, what with the state of the netcode) but lemme tell you, I'm gonna be there day-freaking-1 if there's a DoA 6 coming. I only pray that it has better netcode as that's my only real desire.

Skilletor

First off, let me just say that I am a fucking idiot. I had installed the Core Fighters edition back when I first got a PS4 two years ago, but for some reason I just didn't stick with the game. Maybe the amount of costumes and DLC felt daunting, maybe I just didn't play enough of the characters, I don't know. But regardless, I dropped it.

Since then I've made an effort to improve at fighting games in general, particularly SF. The player that I am now is vastly different to the player that I was back then. I've always played fighting games but now I have more of a drive to play and explore as many as I can. Before I just used to dick around in fighting games. Now I've gotten pretty good at SF and decent at Tekken. I now have enough fighting game fundamentals (both 2D and 3D) that I can at least hold my own if nothing else.

So you can imagine my surprise when what can only be called an impulse purchase lead me to playing a game that I am enjoying the SHIT out of. I had always heard on GAF about the DLC and the costumes and the lots of female characters in this game but for some reason no one ever talked about the gameplay. My first indication is when someone made a thread about the obtuseness of the presentation of information in fighting games and someone pointed out the DoA 5 tutorial mode as being really robust and very informative. Now that I've tasted it, I see why.

God this game is so much fun. For the most part I've just been dicking around in training mode but that alone is just so enjoyable. The characters feel REALLY good to control, everyone hits HARD and Helena is bae.

The only thing is that I can't decide is who to play. Lisa is awesome and has a varied enough moveset that I really enjoy, but Helena is bae. Also Christie is fucking badass and has that sexy death stare at the character select screen that just makes me putty.

I regret getting into this game so late (ok maybe not, what with the state of the netcode) but lemme tell you, I'm gonna be there day-freaking-1 if there's a DoA 6 coming. I only pray that it has better netcode as that's my only real desire.

DoA is right after SC as my favorite 3D fighter. A huge reason for that is because you don't have to fight movement. I've been playing every modern 3D fighter since release, but DoA and SC are the only ones that have intuitive movement (imo) that just feels natural.

If you like KI, then there's a lot of DoA in KI. Some mechanics I hope they bring over to the next DoA (something like a lockout), but DoA is a great fighter that gets bogged down because of the DD baggage they put front and center.

DoA is right after SC as my favorite 3D fighter. A huge reason for that is because you don't have to fight movement. I've been playing every modern 3D fighter since release, but DoA and SC are the only ones that have intuitive movement (imo) that just feels natural.

If you like KI, then there's a lot of DoA in KI. Some mechanics I hope they bring over to the next DoA (something like a lockout), but DoA is a great fighter that gets bogged down because of the DD baggage they put front and center.
I get what you're saying completely. While Tekken is a very fun 3D fighter, the generally "heavy" movement of the character makes every single input matter to the point where I feel you have to play very precise against opponents that know what the hell they're doing. 60% of Tekken matches tend to come down to positioning and spacing.

It was fun to learn at first but it tends to get a bit tiring having to work so hard to position yourself correctly and taking all the factors into account (enemy character's ranges, whether or not to sidestep and then in which direction, etc). It's a low skill-floor/VERY high skill-ceiling sort of thing while this feels much more intuitive right from the get go.

Right now tbh I haven't gotten good enough at the game to be picking apart it's systems and wishing for changes but I'll keep that in mind as I go along!

Skilletor

I get what you're saying completely. While Tekken is a very fun 3D fighter, the generally "heavy" movement of the character makes every single input matter to the point where I feel you have to play very precise against opponents that know what the hell they're doing. 60% of Tekken matches tend to come down to positioning and spacing.

It was fun to learn at first but it tends to get a bit tiring having to work so hard to position yourself correctly and taking all the factors into account (enemy character's ranges, whether or not to sidestep and then in which direction, etc). It's a low skill-floor/VERY high skill-ceiling sort of thing while this feels much more intuitive right from the get go.

Right now tbh I haven't gotten good enough at the game to be picking apart it's systems and wishing for changes but I'll keep that in mind as I go along!

Yeah, the movement in Tekken is something I appreciate watching, but don't want to bother learning. I love that it exists, but it'll never be for me.

DoA has lots of stuff within its gameplay systems that bothers me, that keep it from being that "top tier" 3D fighting game, but it's SUPER close to it. Like...so close that it frustrates me that it's not there yet, lol.

Eolz

Welcome (back? :p) to the club!
Glad to see you enjoying the game, lots of fun mechanics and aspects in this game that are worth sticking with. If we start all playing a bit again, it'd be fun to see you in the gaf lobbies as well, always some nice games and lessons learned, whichever level you are.

Keep trying all fighters, you never know!
My 3 main fighters are Bayman/Ayane/Sarah, but I love playing with many others as well (Ryu/Tina/Brad...).

ShinMaruku

If I can get 5 people committed had lobbies will be a go again. Of course Yoyo will slip in from time to time but you lot can beat him

So I've been messing around with all of the cast.

Tried out Kasumi. Never really been a big fan of Ninja characters and no exception here. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

Tried out Ayane. Same situation with Kasumi though i didn't really expect to like her anyway. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

Tried out Mila. She's an AWESOME character and a lot of fun to play but I dunno I just didn't GEL with her. Perhaps if she was in a 2D game, that MMA style would be more fun to use but I just didn't feel it here. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

Tried out Alpha. Ehh. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

Tried out Hayate. He seems cool but not for me. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

Tried out Kokoro and not a fan. All I could think about was Christie's death stare.

OK since this is gonna go on for a while, I'll just sum it up. I ended up loving Christie and Rachel in particular. Christie's smoldering look during the character select screen and her winpose, it just got to me.
1134C9717975BDC344F3C7527E764FD8F775B21A

All other characters are pretty fun but I think I'm gonna dedicate time to these two. Also the tutorial mode is freaking amazing. Tekken 7 would have been a much more pleasant experience at the start if something like this was present.

ShinMaruku

Few games will ever may h Doa5's tutorial system. They took a good deal of input from players. If there is a doa6 beta period give them all the pointers you can.

Eolz

All other characters are pretty fun but I think I'm gonna dedicate time to these two. Also the tutorial mode is freaking amazing. Tekken 7 would have been a much more pleasant experience at the start if something like this was present.

Lol. Christie is definitely underappreciated (outside of tournaments). A bit more complex than some characters though.

And yeah, DOA5 has one of the best tutorials out there, with GGXrd and probably KI behind.
Agreed for Tekken. It was understandable for SF to be a bit lazy on that side, but at least they put something there...

Yes, there has been one. :)
I actually participated with two costumes:

The Christie costume is from last year, and I resubmitted it, The Helena costume I made this year.

The Christie costume is fantastic!
The Helena one is really good too, fits with her usual theme.

My favorite character so far is definitely Tina. Can't go wrong with a Wrestler.

I really like Tina for being both accessible and having lots of options. Awesome character.

Top Bottom