• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Let me join in the chorus of praise for the OP (and the title...)

I'll be maining Kasumi and Lei Fang...probably...almost certainly...

Oh, and how much has the game changed since 3? The last time I played the game seriously was in arcades when I was living in Japan.

SCV problems with me.

-Some characters replaced by new ones I found more annoying than anything
-Half assed Story mode and horrible at it (You can google around and find that wasnt what they wanted to do but they were rushed)
-Lack of Game Modes. Seriously the single player modes sucked ( No missions like SC2 or like 3) I don't even remember much the modes in it.
-Patch did more damage than good.

Agreed on all points. The fact that it was extremely similar to IV is another problem I had with it.

Oh yeah, and not being able to import your created characters from IV? WAT!? Boooooooooooo!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Agreed on all points. The fact that it was extremely similar to IV is another problem I had with it.

Oh yeah, and not being able to import your created characters from IV? WAT!? Boooooooooooo!

You could tell a lot was missing on that CAS mode too. Also some of the pieces don't fit properly on the characters. Gameplay wise the game was great until they nerfed the hell out of cast.

Let me join in the chorus of praise for the OP (and the title...)

I'll be maining Kasumi and Lei Fang...probably...almost certainly...

Oh, and how much has the game changed since 3? The last time I played the game seriously was in arcades when I was living in Japan.

Counter system is different
Some moves have changed in Damage Output and effects
Some moves are removed or changed for new ones.
New Moves obviously
There is Critical Burst
Power Blows
Sidestep its useful.
and more things that I might be forgetting.

Sgblues

Would be ready to play this next week, in the meantime I'm working on a way to master complete and absolute control over time to be able to play all these fighting games lol

Vazra

Anyone else think that splitting matches into ranked and unranked was a mistake?

Not really. People who want to play for fun/casually without worrying about ranks can play non ranked matches and the people who want to go hardcore will probably play ranked. Its appealing to both Casuals and Competitive players IMO.

Dantis

Not really. People who want to play for fun without worrying about ranks can play non ranked matches and the people who want to go hardcore will probably play ranked. Its appealing to both Casuals and Competitive players IMO.

Splits the player base though. :/

Should have just left it like DOA4 imo.

Vazra

No. I want the ability to screw around w/o the worry that a number is being assigned to me that people will judge on.

Also its good if you are starting the game to play non ranked to see what is around playing before venturing into ranked matches. It is helpful to warm up before going to ranked matches too since some people might be taking breaks from the game and lose their skills for a bit.

Skilletor

Anyone else think that splitting matches into ranked and unranked was a mistake?

Not at all. I hated that I would lose points to my friends who just wanted to play for fun. And it was so lopsided since I was an A rank and he was C. I'd beat him 20 times and get 2000 points, he'd beat me once and I would lose 1500. Dumb.

Fun is for fun, srs is for srs.

Galdelico

So just thinking how many costumes we've seen, and unfortunately, for some characters I think we might have seen them all. For example, for Kasumi, we've seen...
It's a shame the schoolgirl outfit doesn't seem to be in anymore. She's almost a cougar now, so it makes sense, but there was this little thing (
basically, in all the DC/XBOX/360 DoAs she didn't wear anything under her shirt, whereas in the PS2 DoA2/Hardcore Team Ninja had to put a bra on her due to some Sony's restriction or just... to Itagaki not perving around? :D
) which it would have been fun to check out in this new PS360 sequel as well.

zlatko

Banned
I haven't been following this game at all since past DOA's weren't my cup of tea. I do like the OT though, and that new Rig character is interesting to me.

Anyone got some good footage of this game at high level play yet with Rig or Bayman?

Vazra

Look at all of those connections that Brad Wong has with other characters.
Will main.

His ally is Alcohol and his enemy is Sobriety.

I haven't been following this game at all since past DOA's weren't my cup of tea. I do like the OT though, and that new Rig character is interesting to me.

Anyone got some good footage of this game at high level play yet with Rig or Bayman?
IPL Fighters Channel
Kasumi vs Rig

So whats so special about Kasumi that warranted cloning her?
Princess of the Clan she apparently has good skills I guess(From what I've seen Ayane seems better/Stronger in terms of skills)

Not really. People who want to play for fun/casually without worrying about ranks can play non ranked matches and the people who want to go hardcore will probably play ranked. Its appealing to both Casuals and Competitive players IMO.
Eh, I imagine it'll have the opposite effect for me. Because *everything* was ranked in previous games I never worried about my grade. I just played and stopped paying attention to gradepoints very early on.

Vazra

Eh, I imagine it'll have the opposite effect for me. Because *everything* was ranked in previous games I never worried about my grade. I just played and stopped paying attention to gradepoints very early on.

Having more options the better for me :p

Skilletor

Well now you don't have to worry about it, since you can just play casual matches. For those who want to rank up (me), I don't have to worry about random losses to friends dropping my grade when I do player matches.

Everybody wins.

Well now you don't have to worry about it, since you can just play casual matches. For those who want to rank up (me), I don't have to worry about random losses to friends dropping my grade when I do player matches.

Everybody wins.
That's true. And ultimately it isn't a big deal either way. The new system is how practically every other fighting game has done it this gen so I'm use to it.

...Of course now you might lose to someone who appears to be a certain rank but has actually played 10x as much in casuals and those wins (and the skill that comes with them) won't immediately be apparent.

Skilletor

That's true. And ultimately it isn't a big deal either way. The new system is how practically every other fighting game has done it this gen so I'm use to it.

...Of course now you might lose to someone who appears to be a certain rank but has actually played 10x as much in casuals and those wins (and the skill that comes with them) won't immediately be apparent.

That would happen in any case. Rank isn't indicative of skill level. Usually more an indicator of time spent on the game. :)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

xion4360

Achievements and trophies are the same. They always are as far as I know.

That would happen in any case. Rank isn't indicative of skill level. Usually more an indicator of time spent on the game. :)

In DOA4 losing to a lower level player makes you lose up to a large number of points, so really anyone with an S or more is going to be good, its B or under that's whatever. Most people are in the A range.

Squire

Banned
I'm curious as to whether photos taken in the View mode will save to the PS3's HDD. In Paradise on PSP, they saved to the system; that was cool. MGS4 and Soul Calibur V did the same thing. Never heard of 360 games doing this.

Vazra

OMG THERE IS NO RANKED ONLINE (unless they're the secrets T_T) ACHIEVEMENTS. THANK YOU BASED NINJA. Now I can play with my crap connection and lose 10K matches without worrying. :D!

So long as the achievement list is the same on PS3. If there is ranked trophies on PS3. I. WILL. RAGE.

As xion4360 said.

No ranked Achievements from what I read here: LIST

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm curious as to whether photos taken in the View mode will save to the PS3's HDD. In Paradise on PSP, they saved to the system; that was cool. MGS4 and Soul Calibur V did the same thing. Never heard of 360 games doing this.
It surely be nice to do. I could probably make some Decent Wallpapers of them if I could get em on my PC.

ubercheez

Man, I haven't bought a fighting game in years, but this is seriously tempting me. I was originally thinking about waiting until the holiday and grabbing it on the cheap, but I might cave early if I keep hearing good things about it. I also want those swimsuits, so the DLC price is going to factor into my decision. :p

BossLackey

Gold Member
One week guys. Can't wait, granted, I have been waiting for what, almost six years now?

Damn Team Ninja, you kept us waiting.

Maining Ayane

Kasumi as secondary

Here's to hoping I don't fight an infinite amount of Ryus and Hayates online this time around

Squire

Banned
As xion4360 said.

No ranked Achievements from what I read here: LIST

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It surely be nice to do. I could probably make some Decent Wallpapers of them if I could get em on my PC.

Yeah, it was an awesome little feature in SCV. They were HQ JPEGs you could easily throw on a flash drive. I put a lot of them on my Vita. They implemented it there most likely so people would easily be able to share their created characters. 360 version couldn't do it though.

MjFrancis

Preordered and ready to get my ass kicked online.

I've put hundreds of hours into the DOA series, but don't let that fool you - I still suck at it.

Won't stop me from putting in another hundred on DOA5.

Vazra

Thanks for this. Game LOOKS(visually) incredible, but it didn't pull me in.

Is there complexity within the combos for this game? I know of the triangle mechanic from the OP, but I'm not sure how difficult this game is supposed to be when compared to say VF or Tekken.

More similar to VF than Tekken. It is easier to pick up and play than VF but there are things to master obviously. You can do combos easily with some characters as there are some more complex ones on the game which you can see happening on the combo videos on the OT or some of the match videos posted.

Skilletor

Thanks for this. Game LOOKS(visually) incredible, but it didn't pull me in.

Is there complexity within the combos for this game? I know of the triangle mechanic from the OP, but I'm not sure how difficult this game is supposed to be when compared to say VF or Tekken.

The game doesn't require anywhere near the level of execution of those games. I wouldn't say juggles in this are any harder or easier than VF, though.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I personally find the ranked and unranked modes a blessing

Past DOA games boiled down to a lot of people being high ranked, but you couldn't play with them sometimes because of it, so you can't rank up. Vicious cycle.

Skilletor

I personally find the ranked and unranked modes a blessing

Past DOA games boiled down to a lot of people being high ranked, but you couldn't play with them sometimes because of it, so you can't rank up. Vicious cycle.

This is true, too. Since high ranks were so worried about their score, they wouldn't even bother playing if somebody was lower rank.

Also a cause of rage quits.

Edit: This thread is my new home. :) lol

So fucking hyped for this game. We've had two tekkens, two SCs, 4 or 5 different SF4s, two UMvC3s, two KoFs, several VF5 revisions, several blazblue revisions, and SxT in the time between DoA sequels.

I am ready.

TIIIIIIIIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

KAOS

Lovely OT!!! I can't wait for the game! Maining as Gen trying out Rig, Mila, Akira and using Jan and Kasumi as safe back ups. As someone who believes that fighting environments have always been one of DOA's strongest features. I'm a little disappointed in the selection that I've seen thus far. However I'm ecstatic to know you can now select tier levels. I always wanted that feature!

I hope this is included as well. Tekken 6 also had this and I cant believe it did not return for Tekken Tag 2.

xion4360

Also a cause of rage quits.

More like im gonna be a LITTLE BITCH quits. I hate people who play an entire match just to quit at the very end. If you have a stick up your ass about lag and dont want to lose points to a laggy match, then friggin' quit at the start.

In games where ranked play is optional, I'd totally agree. In DOA, not so much. Letter grades are pretty darn indicative of skill level with the former system.

You can hop on UMVC3, for instance, and immediately go into ranked and get your ass kicked by someone who's listed as a "beginner" but is actually a 4th Lord in skill, someone who either reset their battle history (a horrible feature) or spent most of their time in player matches gaining experience and skill but not being graded for it. After thousands of matches in DOAU/4 I can't say that was ever an issue. Be it C, B, A+ or SS, I can usually and very accurately gauge the type of opponent I'm about to face based on their GP. Again, this is a minor issue for me. It just seems odd to be in favor of the new system because you disliked losing points in matches to lower ranked, C+ friends or because you think it's better for casuals. I'm not entirely convinced it is, yet.

Edit: Man, the Ayane/Kasumi love is strong in this thread. I'm ready for all you ninjas!

Skilletor

I'd say they're easier than VF, combo's in DOA have always been crazy easy.

Eh...Unless you're Akira, combos in VF aren't hard at all. The difficulty for me comes from movement and frame data for VF. Movement in DoA is quite easy, imo.

I looked up a Vanessa combo vid and it didn't take me more than 2-3 tries to get them consistently.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But I think, at least as far as juggles, the games are comparable. Even moreso in DOA5 with the new gravity system.

In games where ranked play is optional, I'd totally agree. In DOA, not so much. Letter grades are pretty darn indicative of skill level with the former system.

You can hop on UMVC3, for instance, and immediately go into ranked and get your ass kicked by someone who's listed as a "beginner" but is actually a 4th Lord in skill, someone who either reset their battle history (a horrible feature) or spent most of their time in player matches gaining experience and skill but not being graded for it. After thousands of matches in DOAU/4 I can't say that was ever an issue. Be it C, B, A+ or SS, I can usually and very accurately gauge the type of opponent I'm about to face based on their GP. Again, this is a minor issue for me. It just seems odd to be in favor of the new system because you disliked losing points in matches to lower ranked, C+ friends or because you think it's better for casuals. I'm not entirely convinced it is, yet.

I'm in favor because I like doing player matches with friends, and I dislike losing points because of it. I'm A LOT better than most of my friends, but the point system discouraged me from trying new things or new characters since I could lose so many points so quickly by doing so. I much prefer the option of having ranked matches. I never mentioned casuals. Just that it's better to have the option.

Top Bottom