• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

zlatko

Banned
I'm a little skeptical of this games online features and net code. I feel if the word of mouth is good in those regards I may jump in. Is spectator mode a view only? Is there no lobby system where you can view when it isn't your turn? I don't see a mention of a replay channel either.

Combos look like no problem, just a matter of memorization and far less execution heavy, so the game is a lot about reading your opponent which I appreciate.

xion4360

Again, this is a minor issue for me. It just seems odd to be in favor of the new system because you disliked losing points in matches to lower ranked, C+ friends or because you think it's better for casuals. I'm not entirely convinced it is, yet.

I'm in favor because I like doing player matches with friends, and I dislike losing points because of it.

Exactly, trading points to friends just sucks especially if you are both on the same skill level, but one has few points. I actually came across people who would not play because of point discrepancies, or would want to have alternate accounts just to play without point worries.

It just makes sense to have a noted Rank match separately.

Skilletor

I'm a little skeptical of this games online features and net code. I feel if the word of mouth is good in those regards I may jump in. Is spectator mode a view only? Is there no lobby system where you can view when it isn't your turn? I don't see a mention of a replay channel either.

Combos look like no problem, just a matter of memorization and far less execution heavy, so the game is a lot about reading your opponent which I appreciate.

Even if they didn't add anything to DoA4's features, it would still be about as complete as any other fighter today.

Jury's out on netcode, but DoA2U, 4, and DoAD all had solid netcode, so I'm not really worried.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

There is a Lobby. And you can watch replays indeed.

Loona

IGN has posted part 4 of Fighter Chronicles that details the online and social media features.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/09/18/dead-or-alive-5-fighter-chronicles-part-4

- Online training and other players can watch.

I was getting the impression Mila was an embodiement of what they were aiming for with this iteration of the game - I'm taking their comments later in the video as a confirmation.

Also. I think there was an outfit for her sketche there I'm yet to see in videos, and as practical-looking and gym-fit as the others <3

zlatko

Banned
Even if they didn't add anything to DoA4's features, it would still be about as complete as any other fighter today.

Jury's out on netcode, but DoA2U, 4, and DoAD all had solid netcode, so I'm not really worried.

Edit: Thanks Pupi18. :D

Now to investigate further into the game's characters.

DR2K

Banned

16 player room. With a shit ton of online modes.

There is a Lobby. And you can watch replays indeed.
Aye, I hopped back on DOA4 just to see toy around a bit and ended up spending an hour watching replays back from 2006. I hope this time there isn't a limit on the number of matches you can save, though.

Skilletor

Edit: Thanks Pupi18. :D

Now to investigate further into the game's characters.

Yeah, sorry I didn't mention that. DoA2U on XBOX had those features. Ignorant of me to assume that was common knowledge. :)

Other fighters have been playing catchup to Team Ninja's first online effort.

Vazra

Aye, I hopped back on DOA4 just to see toy around a bit and ended up spending an hour watching replays back from 2006. I hope this time there isn't a limit on the number of matches you can save, though.
Hopefully if there is a limit that limit is big.

zlatko

Banned
Yeah, sorry I didn't mention that. DoA2U on XBOX had those features. Ignorant of me to assume that was common knowledge. :)

Other fighters have been playing catchup to Team Ninja's first online effort.

I remember DOA4 had one cool feature I found fun which was the "house" lobby where you had a little avatar running around and the match could play on a TV inside the home. A little silly, but I really liked it.

How hard would you say this game will be to get into if I'm ass at Tekken, decent at Virtua fighter, and about average in 2D fighters? You guys mentioned it's closer to VF than Tekken, but I do still find both have a considerable learning curve.

Also, what kind of DLC plans have they laid out? DLC characters, stages, costumes? A DOA5 v2.0 later on? I would be giddy if they threw in Brad Burns from VF as DLC. :p

patapuf

I remember DOA4 had one cool feature I found fun which was the "house" lobby where you had a little avatar running around and the match could play on a TV inside the home. A little silly, but I really liked it.

How hard would you say this game will be to get into if I'm ass at Tekken, decent at Virtua fighter, and about average in 2D fighters? You guys mentioned it's closer to VF than Tekken, but I do still find both have a considerable learning curve.

Also, what kind of DLC plans have they laid out? DLC characters, stages, costumes? A DOA5 v2.0 later on? I would be giddy if they threw in Brad Burns from VF as DLC. :p

character DLC is unlikely. I'm pretty sure there will be costume DLC.

I'm in favor because I like doing player matches with friends, and I dislike losing points because of it. I'm A LOT better than most of my friends, but the point system discouraged me from trying new things or new characters since I could lose so many points so quickly by doing so. I much prefer the option of having ranked matches. I never mentioned casuals. Just that it's better to have the option.
Gotcha. Ideally, I'd like a ranking system similar to Persona's, one that's split between an overall grade and character based.

DR2K

Banned
Has anything been mentioned about Tag Online? I haven't heard about it yet so I didn't posted those details yet until confirmed.

Well in DOA4 they had pair play online for tag. From what I've seen and heard it looks like they're bringing everything over.

Xevren

It really isn't that hard to play, and if you like Brad just try out Zack. Just will take some time to get used to the hold system but it's not too hard.

xion4360

They haven't talked much about DLC, but you can expect costumes. They want the game to be a complete package so Characters and Stages wouldnt be right for that.

Hopefully if there is a limit that limit is big.

100 seems like enough no? well there doesn't need to be a limit anyway, well see I guess.

Vazra

Dead or Alive 5 apparently won't use DOA4 style Lobby since there is new standards and that style of Lobby might not be the best for a properly optimized Online experience or something I heard.

The game is way easier to get into than Tekken and Virtua Fighter so you might get into it quickly but obviously practice before getting online.

Plans for DLC goes for Music, Costumes and Stages.

chriskun

apologies if this has already been asked, but what is the difference between the fighting mechanics between 5 and 4???

Skilletor

apologies if this has already been asked, but what is the difference between the fighting mechanics between 5 and 4???

DoA5 has added a sidestep, a new powerblow system (the cinematic thing you see in most trailers) that can be done once per round when your lifebar is flashing red, weakened counters substantially, tweaked the number of situations in which you are stunned, added a "critical burst" move that makes the following attack guaranteed, in general there are more situations which guarantees the attacker damage, guaranteed damage from hitting your opponent in walls, everybody has advanced mid punch and mid kick holds, stun threshold system is weakened...and and and

THat's it off of the top of my head.

Probably should've done a bulleted list

Vazra

-Sidesteps actually work so you have to watch out for linear moves or full circle property moves. You can evade linear, but there are moves you can't evade. (training mode specifies which is which)

-There are Critical Burst

-There are Power Blows (Only doable 1 time per round and its doable after you have 50% or less)

-More situations that guarantee Damage

-The Counter Hold damage is less

-Stun threshold system is weakened

-Any time the character is in a critical stun that has their feet off the ground (i.e Sit down, lift, trip stuns) the opponent is not able to hold out of the stun until feet have returned to standing.

-Guard Breaks and Guard Crushes can't be held out of immediately like Dead or Alive 4, this is because of the above listed change where the opponent can't hold until both feet are on the ground. This can allow for some guaranteed followups after a guard break.

-Some character got moves replaced by new ones and more.

-Damage Values have changed

-Sweat and Dirt Physics have been added

-The high hit level wake-up kick attack has been removed from the game after being introduced into Dead or Alive 4. The mid hit level and low hit level still remain but are generally unsafe on guard.

-A grappler receives a frame advantage bonus if their combo throw is broken out of, allowing them to still press the advantage.

-A grappler can get a guaranteed ground throw more often than in comparison to Dead or Alive 4.

-The gym shows the rope bounce from Dead or Alive 4.0 where it appears the opponent can't defensive hold during the bounce back.

-Power Blow has sevral uses. For one if you land a charge on a blcoking opponent you get enough frames to follow up on a guaranteed attack. It can be linked into a critical burst and it can whiff punish other CBs. The Cb is only used up on full hit. You can also side step cancel out of the charge.

-Natural combos, new stuns that lead to new set ups, new dangerzones that lead to different types of launchers/stuns.

-Various character changes from new stances for old characters, to new moves, to property changes to old ones.

-Slippery surfaces(wat/ice) grant you new stuns that lead to guaranteed damage like in DOA2 and DOA3.

-Walls can not be held out of, so all wall damage is guaranteed.

More to be added/Updated.

(Some of the info is taken from Free Step Dodge and GAF users)

chriskun

Thanks guys, really thinking about getting this. One thing that I like about this game, and I've talked about this in other games, is that when you hit your opponent it actually looks like you are hitting them. The breasts also seem to be less offensive in this one too.

xion4360

Part of why we have such wonderfully informative OT's is so people can read the OP and learn a lot about the game. It seems people dont do that tho.

Vazra

Part of why we have such wonderfully informative OT's is so people can read the OP and learn a lot about the game. It seems people dont do that tho.

I know! XD

But on the other side I don't mind explaining things a bit more and I'm open to responding questions and I know others are helping at it. Gotta help people that are interested in getting into the game the most we can and reexplaining things is no biggie for me at least.

DOA gaf, we should hold a tournament like we did for Persona 4 arena on the week it came out.

You guys organize and I'll update the info on the OT Event section. (Obviously promote the info on posts too since some people might skip the OP)

Also training sessions can be a good thing to do on First Week. (If someone can stream the event and explain as it goes it would be awesome and if archived can be posted on the tutorial videos section)

chriskun

I asked for the differences from 4 which I dont think the OT explains, also the tutorial is from an alpha of the game and alot has changed.

Vazra

I asked for the differences from 4 which I dont think the OT explains, also the tutorial is from an alpha of the game and alot has changed.

Some are explained on the game mechanics section. I didn't wanted to go on a even bigger wall of text explaining changes between 4 and 5 trying to keep the OT cleaner and easy to grasp as possible.

As I said earlier I don't mind explaining things since its part of things that happen here and any game. The OP has major info without being extremely bloated since usually the more written the more people tend to ignore the OT and for more detailed questions I'm open to answer them since part of this sections is helping people around in and outside of the OP. So at least I have no issues answering any questions even if they are in the OP. I'll do my best to bring all the info you want/need if its not on the OP.

:)

chriskun

Some are explained on the game mechanics section. I didn't wanted to go on a even bigger wall of text explaining changes between 4 and 5 trying to keep the OT cleaner and easy to grasp as possible.

As I said earlier I don't mind explaining things since its part of things that happen here and any game. The OP has major info without being extremely bloated since usually the more written the more people tend to ignore the OT and for more detailed questions I'm open to answer them since part of this sections is helping people around in and outside of the OP. So at least I have no issues answering any questions even if they are in the OP. I'll do my best to bring all the info you want/need if its not on the OP.

:)

Thanks again pupi, I read the op before asking the question and I appreciate all the hard work you have put in for such an awesome op. My response was mostly geared towards xions asshole remark.

Vazra

I'd definitely be up for that. On what system though?

If things are organized properly on who is gonna do 360 tourney and who will take Ps3 tourney both are doable on day 1.

Remember simply give me the details and I'll post on the OT following the format.

Example.
Event: DOA5 GAF Launch Tournament by: INSERT NAME HERE
End Date: Not specified
Time zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT
Stream URL: (Add if available)

Announce on posts if all spots are taken (PM me to let people know in OP that there is no more space for participants if its full)

xion4360

Thanks again pupi, I read the op before asking the question and I appreciate all the hard work you have put in for such an awesome op. My response was mostly geared towards xions asshole remark.

Oh please, everything Pupi said was in the OP if you read it then you know it. I wasnt saying anything to you directly or being rude to you directly its just a common theme to have to answer questions over and over despite the OP serving as a pretty good FAQ. I felt like saying it and I did, because Pupi did a good job putting together the OP and I would like people to fuckin read it. Im an asshole according to you so dont be surprised if I am one.

If things are organized properly on who is gonna do 360 tourney and who will take Ps3 tourney both are doable on day 1.

Remember simply give me the details and I'll post on the OT following the format.

Example.
Event: DOA5 GAF Launch Tournament by: INSERT NAME HERE
End Date: Not specified
Time zone: America/New_York -04:00 EDT
Stream URL: (Add if available)

Announce on posts if all spots are taken (PM me to let people know in OP that there is no more space for participants if its full)

Oh man, I would like to participate but Day 1? I wouldn't be able to make that. =/

Forever

Banned
i54nkA71WZu7.jpg
Wait the Kokoro bunny suit is a Walmart preorder, of all things?

Vazra

Oh man, I would like to participate but Day 1? I wouldn't be able to make that. =/

I was using that as an example obviously its all on the hands of the guys holding the tournament. Afterall in this case I'll just promote them in the Event section. Hopefully all is done properly so everyone can have fun at it.

EDIT: Also remember you guys can organize multiple tournaments so if you guys want to do weekly tournaments just speak up and they will stay as a permanent thing on Event Section until the tourneys are not being held. Friday or Saturday usually sounds like the best days for tournaments IMO.

Wait the Kokoro bunny suit is a Walmart preorder, of all things?

I searched Walmart site and nothing is mentioned there.

Makoto

I scrolled through the entire thread to see if it was claimed and from what I could tell, it was not so I will acquire this good-looking avatar:

ib0mhbaHiy4eGl.png

Vazra

Lots of people seem to be asking about the mechanics of the series. That's good, the audience is increasing :)
Its nice to see people showing interest.

Then where do we get it? Gamestop offers Kasumi, Lei Fang, and Hitomi. Amazon offers Christie, Tina, and Ayane.

I believe that was a mistake from Tecmo actually. That swimsuit its not on their facebook site at all but they released media. (Leads to believe there might be more bunny swimsuits on the future)

Forever

Banned
I believe that was a mistake from Tecmo actually. That swimsuit its not on their facebook site at all but they released media. (Leads to believe there might be more bunny swimsuits on the future)

Man if I buy this CE they're going to end up milking $100 or more out of me aren't they.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am interested in the changes to the game from 4 to 5 as well. Trying to find it somewhere on the net.

zlatko

Banned
Looking at the game more, and reading here and I'm definitely aboard the hype train! Going to see if a buddy of mine will pick it up too so I can just day 1 it and not worry about net code.

Oddly enough liking Kokoro the most for some reason. I never gravitate towards female characters in any games, but her fight style is pretty cool. Otherwise Brad's drunkness is awesome. :p

Top Bottom