• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
a more solid game than one but the ellie eye thing was so dumb.

you owe me an eye.....

wow, just terrible writing given the context

i felt the plot for this one was pretty lame over all really

but definitely a solid game. great set pieces too.

Minamu

I really should get started on hard core soon :S But at this point, I think I've forgotten most of the tricks I learned after beating the game :( Good thing I downloaded and kept all those youtube playthroughs! :D

Well I just finished up Martyr. It was pretty entertaining and a fairly quick read. I'd recommend to anyone interested in the Dead Space storyline. It really did clarify a few things that hadn't made sense to me with the Marker before.

It did also raise some more questions for me though. I hope we get some concrete answers in Dead Space 3, and not just more allusions to things like in Halo with the Forerunners.

Kinyou

-COOLIO- said:
a more solid game than one but the ellie eye thing was so dumb.

you owe me an eye.....

wow, just terrible writing given the context

i felt the plot for this one was pretty lame over all really

but definitely a solid game. great set pieces too.
What? That's totally what I would say when
someone ripped my eye out with a screwdriver!

Minamu said:
I really should get started on hard core soon :S But at this point, I think I've forgotten most of the tricks I learned after beating the game :( Good thing I downloaded and kept all those youtube playthroughs! :D
It's best to get everything over and done with sooner rather than later when you've forgotten most of the stuff. Glad I did. Haven't touched the games since clearing the DLC.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
DeVeAn said:
So I assume the steam version gives you all the DLC? Thought it was funny that I had all the suits.
Yeah, PC got all the suit DLC for free. There are normal suits you get as you progress through the game and you might want to just stick to those as the DLC suits will make things pretty easy.

DeVeAn

Stallion Free said:
Yeah, PC got all the suit DLC for free. There are normal suits you get as you progress through the game and you might want to just stick to those as the DLC suits will make things pretty easy.
I see thanks. Loved the first game and so far this one is even more awesome.

Visceral Games is releasing two free maps for DS2 multiplayer on May 31/June 3:

Who’s up for some FREE new maps for Dead Space 2 Multiplayer? The team has been working hard to bring you new and exciting maps, and they’re proud to bring you their latest and greatest for FREE. Return to The Sprawl in the two new multiplayer maps; The Academy and The Concourse. This new Outbreak Map Pack will be available May 31st on XBOX Live and June 3rd on PSN.

From Facebook

Grisby

ILOVEASIANS said:
It's free so I won't complain.

I'm curious to see how many people in here actually spent more than an hour with multiplayer though.

I spent like maybe 3 hours or so. Got to level 10? I think?

Great deal for people still playing and cool that the maps are going to be free.

shuyin_

Banned
ILOVEASIANS said:
Well I just finished up Martyr. It was pretty entertaining and a fairly quick read. I'd recommend to anyone interested in the Dead Space storyline. It really did clarify a few things that hadn't made sense to me with the Marker before.

It did also raise some more questions for me though. I hope we get some concrete answers in Dead Space 3, and not just more allusions to things like in Halo with the Forerunners.
Just finidhed Martyr too. It was an unexpectedly good book. I love the Dead Space universe :D

ShinAmano

So I have been tearing this game apart for the last two weeks and I had a question about the Severed DLC. Can I use the stuff I got in the main game in Severed? I finished Hard Core (which was much easier than Zealot) and wanted to know if my bonus would carry over. Yes I know it would break the game, but I would only be using it after a couple of runs.

Grisby said:
I spent like maybe 3 hours or so. Got to level 10? I think?

Great deal for people still playing and cool that the maps are going to be free.

Yeah, that's about as far as I made it too.

So I have been tearing this game apart for the last two weeks and I had a question about the Severed DLC. Can I use the stuff I got in the main game in Severed? I finished Hard Core (which was much easier than Zealot) and wanted to know if my bonus would carry over. Yes I know it would break the game, but I would only be using it after a couple of runs.

Pretty sure the only bonuses that carry over between the two are the Refurb Plasma Cutter and Zealot suit if you have them. None of the unlockables from Dead Space 2 would be in Severed since it's a stand alone campaign.

Ok, Platinum got! The Hardcore run (without DLC packs) was a whole new experience, pure survival, frustrating (some cheap deaths) but very rewarding. I saved in chapter 5 before the ¿Tormentor? scene, in chapter 9 before the Tripod fight in the fuel storage, and then I first tried to save in chapter 11/12 before the mining machine fight, but I realized that save was too far from the end, and after a few tries I was able to save in chapter 14
before the poking eye machine
. The run between the 2nd and 3rd saves
Ishimura, mines and the labs
was kind of OMG but at the end very satisfying.

About the tactics, I used the Plasma Cutter with damage maximized and the Pulse Rifle in chapters 1-10, also I upgraded at the first chapters Stasis and one RIG health upgrade. When I got the Force Gun and it's ammo schematics (chapter 10), I respec the nodes from Plasma Cutter, sold it and I changed to the Force Gun. IMO the best weapon, very cheap and decent stacking ammo, the secondary fire with damage maximized takes everything but brutes in 2-3 shots, and with the primary you are able to defend yourself in CQC. Also I upgraded my health to max and then the Contact Beam all the way to the special node. I did the chapters 10-13 with the Force Gun, I reserved the Contact Beam ammo (only used it for the brutes). When I reached the final red rooms of chapter 13, I changed to the Contact Beam and I rushed to the end spamming like a bitch the secondary fire, it felt so good lol.

Anyway, GOTY material for me, I just love this game and the DS universe. Great setpieces and presentation, and technically even for a multiplatform game it looks very good in the PS3. Now I'll play Extraction (and then the Severed DLC), and I'll try to read Martyr, so many questions. Can't wait to DS3! :D

luxarific

Nork unification denier
ILOVEASIANS said:
Yeah, that's about as far as I made it too.

Pretty sure the only bonuses that carry over between the two are the Refurb Plasma Cutter and Zealot suit if you have them. None of the unlockables from Dead Space 2 would be in Severed since it's a stand alone campaign.

Foam hand gun carries over. :D

Is the PC version worth double dipping on? It can be had for $20 now, and if the visuals and/or controls are a marked improvement over the 360 version, I wouldn't mind going through it again on Zealot.

bigdaddygamebot said:
More DLC stories please.

Different characters...etc.

Free DLC maps are nice but...well...yeah. More single player DLC please.

Yeah, I was hoping they'd release more stuff... maybe, hopefully, they'll announce something at E3.

Lince

Banned
congrats Vasilisk, feels good to achieve a hardcore run without DLC ! your approach was so different from mine... even the save points... hopefully I can catch you online soon and talk about it. GOTY material indeed, but we got inFamous 2 around the corner, and then Uncharted 3 and Dark Souls... anyway, I'm biting my nails waiting for the PSN Store to be back online so I can buy the "Severed" DLC pack, meanwhile I'm reading through Martyr... I'm sure it won't disappoint you. Abrazos!

hertog

Just bought the game. The first one was a guilty pleasure, resi 4 IN SPAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaacccceeeeee.

This one just screams quality, I'm up to chapter 3 and loving it :)

Yasae

Banned
Bought it for $13 at D2D.

Shockingly good so far; a couple hours in right now. The world detail and visual fidelity are largely improved and the environments are more believable. I had a lot of fears that the pacing would suffer because they showed so much action in previews, but it's largely the opposite (and thus much like the first game.) There are plenty of lulls, creepy silhouettes, bumps in the night, etc. It also has parts where you're backed up against a wall, fending off multiple foes.

It's scared me multiple times already and the story (not to mention the larger variety of locales) is intriguing.

Hunter S.

ILOVEASIANS said:

I am surprised you could finish it I got less than half way through and gave up. I will say it did clarify points in the game. Probably will have to read it b4 DS3 when I'm hyped again.

What didn't you like about it?

Granted it's not the greatest thing I ever read, and I'm a sucker anything Dead Space related so I'm sure I'm overrating it quite a bit.

Just finished my second run through. Only a few months late. I totally forgot about the
Nicole/Marker fight at the end.
I didn't forget how much I disliked some of the late game combat scenarios however.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
ILOVEASIANS said:
What didn't you like about it?

Granted it's not the greatest thing I ever read, and I'm a sucker anything Dead Space related so I'm sure I'm overrating it quite a bit.
Yeah, while I will consume just about anything Dead Space, I thought Martyr was solid. It's not great literature or anything, and the writing is - I assume - consciously simplified so that a wide range of people can read it, it was a compelling story. I suppose on top of Dead Space I'm also a sucker for stories where humanity discovers alien technology and has to figure out what it does.

Ugh, accidentally spoiled the ending for myself on this page : / wish people would be more specific with their spoilers but I guess it was still my fault for going into automatic and clicking on it.

Any who, I'm currently @ chapter 11 and I wanted to know how many hours I have left. It's a great game but playing something that makes me tense 100% of the time is tiresome. I'm probably going to play sly 1 after this as a much needed breathe of fresh air, hah.

Minamu

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Ugh, accidentally spoiled the ending for myself on this page : / wish people would be more specific with their spoilers but I guess it was still my fault for going into automatic and clicking on it.

Any who, I'm currently @ chapter 11 and I wanted to know how many hours I have left. It's a great game but playing something that makes me tense 100% of the time is tiresome. I'm probably going to play sly 1 after this as a much needed breathe of fresh air, hah.
I don't see any huge spoilers (maybe one but it's spoiler marked and not that big of a deal)? :S You have maybe 2-3 hours left? Depends on how you play of course :)

bigdaddygamebot said:
More DLC stories please.

Different characters...etc.

Free DLC maps are nice but...well...yeah. More single player DLC please.

I'd gladly pay for more Story based DLC. I thought severed was a nice addition to the Extraction story just a bit short. I just wish it was on pc so I could enjoy it in glorious PC quality rather than on ps3.

I was really disappointed that there wasn't any big Dead Space 3 news at E3 but then again DS2 hasn't been out that long. Maybe we will get another iPad game to hold us Markerheads till then I thought the iPad game was pretty great and I liked the audio log nods to it in DS2.

Top Bottom