• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Atomski

I just downloaded this off steam and played about 2 hours but none of the damned audiologs were playing. Just did a verify integrity of game cache and it is now downloading a big file. Hopefully fixes it.. anyone else have this issue?

Edit: It did fix the audio log problem. I started the game over and was shocked how much dialogue I was missing ugh.

Lince

Banned
Platinum get!

ok so finished my Hardcore run with no DLC or other shenanigans, kudos to replicant for the tips, got my Platinum too after beating Zealot (in under 5 and a half hours) with the overpowered and hilarious reward you get from beating Hardcore. Good stuff, I guess the devs wanted some relax and laughs after the thrilling and sometimes infuriating Hardcore mode.

GOTY so far

so is the DLC region locked? my copy is from the UK.

L00P

Atomski said:
I just downloaded this off steam and played about 2 hours but none of the damned audiologs were playing. Just did a verify integrity of game cache and it is now downloading a big file. Hopefully fixes it.. anyone else have this issue?

Edit: It did fix the audio log problem. I started the game over and was shocked how much dialogue I was missing ugh.

You're not the only one. Did it get fixed when you verified the files or what?

edit: Also, why are the stuff in the first store cost zero credits? Is that normal?

Ledsen

I asked this in the Steam thread but didn't get an answer, maybe better luck here:

How well and on what settings would dead space 2 run on a 2010 laptop with i3 330m, 4 gb ram, hd 5650m? I'm satisfied with 720p, but if I can't get it to run well (30 fps minimum) I'll get it for 360 instead.

Replicant

Lince said:
Platinum get!

ok so finished my Hardcore run with no DLC or other shenanigans, kudos to replicant for the tips, got my Platinum too after beating Zealot (in under 5 and a half hours) with the overpowered and hilarious reward you get from beating Hardcore. Good stuff, I guess the devs wanted some relax and laughs after the thrilling and sometimes infuriating Hardcore mode.

GOTY so far

Glad to hear it was any use. :)

And yes, DLC is locked to specific country. So get it from the same country's PSN store.

Lince

Banned
Replicant said:
DLC is locked to specific country. So get it from the same country's PSN store.

ok thanks, now it's anybody's guess whether fake accounts with real credit cards are still a viable combo when the "new" PSN is back online... I really want to get Severed so if that doesn't work anymore guess I'll have to beg someone to share with me, I will paypal+extra or share some other game/DLC in exchange :3

Draft

Ledsen said:
I asked this in the Steam thread but didn't get an answer, maybe better luck here:

How well and on what settings would dead space 2 run on a 2010 laptop with i3 330m, 4 gb ram, hd 5650m? I'm satisfied with 720p, but if I can't get it to run well (30 fps minimum) I'll get it for 360 instead.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5650.23697.0.html

So, who knows? The original Dead Space held an easy 60 on fairly old hardware.

I started reading Martyr the other day and am really enjoying it. It seems to be a well done origin story so far.

I was also thinking about reading Salvage but OXM called it and I quote, "The worst comic book we have ever read." They had an article on media outside of games that expand on certain series' stories and had a page on Dead Space. So I think I'll be steering clear of that one, lol.

ILOVEASIANS said:
I started reading Martyr the other day and am really enjoying it. It seems to be a well done origin story so far.

I was also thinking about reading Salvage but OXM called it and I quote, "The worst comic book we have ever read." They had an article on media outside of games that expand on certain series' stories and had a page on Dead Space. So I think I'll be steering clear of that one, lol.

The worst comic book they ever read? Wow. I read it, I thought it was alright. Bit odd, but not bad.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The worst comic book they ever read? Wow. I read it, I thought it was alright. Bit odd, but not bad.

Yeah, I remember you and a few others mentioning they read it, so I figured it couldn't be that awful.

Lince said:
Platinum get!

GOTY so far

Indeed the PSN down has given you Lince too much free time ;). I've just beated Zealot in my second playthrough, and currently I'm going to do Zealot runs to upgrade everything and train my skills to the Hardcore run. Even if the story is a little convoluted at the end, this game is one of the best survival-horror-action games I've played, Visceral Games has done a great job :D.

Vasilisk said:
Indeed the PSN down has given you Lince too much free time ;). I've just beated Zealot in my second playthrough, and currently I'm going to do Zealot runs to upgrade everything and train my skills to the Hardcore run. Even if the story is a little convoluted at the end, this game is one of the best survival-horror-action games I've played, Visceral Games has done a great job :D.

Indeed. I'm hoping Martyr clarifies a few things for me.

Lince

Banned
Vasilisk said:

hola Vasilisk! don't worry too much about hardcore, I was too concerned about dying (and having to repeat 3-4 chapters) that I wasn't playing comfortably so I failed on my first try (made it to chapter 6 and got stupidly killed)... but the very instant I said "fuck it I'll play hardcore as I always play this game, I'm confident enough" it was the moment I completed my hardcore run in 2 sessions without dying. Also I guess you already know you start from a fresh game, no new game+ so grinding it's worthless. Playing Dead Nation with you on the harder/hardest difficulty modes helped a lot improving my survival skills :D

y joder a ver si vuelve el online de una puta vez y nos echamos unas partidasssss!

did you get the Severed DLC btw?

Lince said:
hola Vasilisk! don't worry too much about hardcore, I was too concerned about dying (and having to repeat 3-4 chapters) that I wasn't playing comfortably so I failed on my first try (made it to chapter 6 and got stupidly killed)... but the very instant I said "fuck it I'll play hardcore as I always play this game, I'm confident enough" it was the moment I completed my hardcore run in 2 sessions without dying. Also I guess you already know you start from a fresh game, no new game+ so grinding it's worthless. Playing Dead Nation with you on the harder/hardest difficulty modes helped a lot improving my survival skills :D

y joder a ver si vuelve el online de una puta vez y nos echamos unas partidasssss!

did you get the Severed DLC btw?

I know the grinding is useless for Hardcore, but I want to have a save with all leveled up. And I'm suppose I'm very cautious about Hardcore, I feel I die "too much" at least for trying it (maybe I'm too paranoid, you know me lol). Because of that I want to do a few runs in Zealot to memorize everything. And yeah, those epic moments in Dead Nation are really memorable. About the DLC, I was planning to get it, I'm waiting to the PSN to return.

Y si, menuda mierda lo de la PSN, de vez en cuando juego al botzone en el Killzone 3 xDDDD (y me he pasado un par de veces más la campaña en Elite)

Lince

Banned
Vasilisk said:
I know the grinding is useless for Hardcore, but I want to have a save with all leveled up. And I'm suppose I'm very cautious about Hardcore, I feel I die "too much" at least for trying it (maybe I'm too paranoid, you know me lol). Because of that I want to do a few runs in Zealot to memorize everything. And yeah, those epic moments in Dead Nation are really memorable.

Hardcore is much easier than Zealot if you play it with a cool head (specially during the Zero-G events where you can get killed by debris or machinery), using my 5.1 headphones helped since I "knew" every time when an enemy just spawned above/below/behind me. Apart from that I abused stasis so I could save a lot of ammo dismembering more efficiently to impale enemies with their own limbs, you need to master this to reach chapter 8 (my 1st save point) with plenty of ammo, health items and "space money".

Also you would want the javelin spear with the bonus spec unlocked (explosion added to secondary fire) from chapter 11 onwards, it's a 1-shot kill for ANY enemy and good for crowd control combined with stasis (aim at the floor and use the secondary fire). I used the plasma cutter exclusively from chapter 1 to 7, combined with the force gun until chapter 11 and then sold both of them for the remainder of the playthrough. The first thing I upgraded was the stasis module of course, then buffed a bit the plasma cutter and the force gun, but was saving nodes for the javelin anyway.

Y si, menuda mierda lo de la PSN, de vez en cuando juego al botzone en el Killzone 3 xDDDD (y me he pasado un par de veces más la campaña en Elite)

es una pena que no tenga coperativo en línea el Killzone 3 joderrrrr, en modo élite son un espectáculo los tiroteos jugándolos con los colegas, anyway... looking forward to playing some more online coop be it Dead Nation or Uncharted 2, but at this rate I guess you'll have your Dead Space 2 Platinum trophy before PSN is back up online!

About the DLC, I was planning to get it, I'm waiting to the PSN to return

what version of the game did you get? Spain or UK?

Lince said:
what version of the game did you get? Spain or UK?

Thanks for the advices, probably hardcore won't give me many problems, I hope. Interesting that tidbit about the javelin spear, at first I didn't like that gun, I'll give it a try. About the DLC, sorry I can't confirm the region lock because my game is from Spain, anyway if someday the PSN is back up, I'll tell you.

I finally got round to finishing the original Dead Space tonight. Took me long enough, I know.

How should I progress from here? I have:

Dead Space (360)
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii)
Dead Space 2 (360)
Dead Space 2: Severed (360)

Should I carry on in this order, or just jump right in with DS2?

Is Ignition worth getting? Much as I like puzzle games and would like to have "the set" I'm not sure if it's worth my time or MS points.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Monkeylord said:
How should I progress from here? I have:

Dead Space (360)
Dead Space: Extraction (Wii)
Dead Space 2 (360)
Dead Space 2: Severed (360)

Should I carry on in this order, or just jump right in with DS2?
Most important thing is to play Dead Space before Dead Space 2, and Extraction before Severed. So you're fine to jump right into DS2 now.

I bought this during the steam sale. Surprise, its awesome. The only thing the original has on it so far, with me at ch. 4, is that the game was scarier in the beginning. But I can't fault the sequel for that. Its become less of a horror game, and more of a tactical shooter.

Lince

Banned
The Big Rig said:
I bought this during the steam sale. Surprise, its awesome. The only thing the original has on it so far, with me at ch. 4, is that the game was scarier in the beginning. But I can't fault the sequel for that. Its become less of a horror game, and more of a tactical shooter.

DS2 sports the best controls for a third person shooter this gen, it's a joy to play, Bioware should have a good look at this for Mass Effect 3 (if they're still going the TPS route).

Monkeylord said:
Is Ignition worth getting? Much as I like puzzle games and would like to have "the set" I'm not sure if it's worth my time or MS points.

It's an interesting little tie in to the beginning of DS2, but I wouldn't pay money for it. I got it for free with a pre order, and was the only reason I played it. One of the mini games/"puzzles" is literally pumping A at different speeds.

Peterthumpa

ILOVEASIANS said:
It's an interesting little tie in to the beginning of DS2, but I wouldn't pay money for it. I got it for free with a pre order, and was the only reason I played it. One of the mini games/"puzzles" is literally pumping A at different speeds.
What about playing DS2 without playing the first one? Is there a recap or something or will I get lost with the story?

Lince

Banned
felipepl said:
What about playing DS2 without playing the first one? Is there a recap or something or will I get lost with the story?

there's a short video recap, but honestly it's not enough... go get the original Dead Space, should be dirty cheap by now (I heard $5 on Steam).

felipepl said:

I wouldn't recommend it, as my favorite chapter of DS2 was a direct result of the first game, but there is an option in the Dead Space 2 menu that sums up everything from the first game quite nicely. It's "Previously on Dead Space" and you can watch it right from the main menu.

Is there something I missed regarding the weapons in the store? I didn't buy a collector's edition, but I'm able to buy the augmented versions of all weapons and a bunch of suits right in the beginning. It screws up the pace if I can just mow everything down.

felipepl said:

Like they said, you can watch the quick recap video, but it is so much sweeter to play through the first game. Doing so makes the things that happen in DS2 have more of an impact. I'd recommend you play DS1 first.

The Big Rig said:
Is there something I missed regarding the weapons in the store? I didn't buy a collector's edition, but I'm able to buy the augmented versions of all weapons and a bunch of suits right in the beginning. It screws up the pace if I can just mow everything down.

Strange... do you have the PC version?

The Big Rig said:

That is weird. The only way you can have the augmented versions and a bunch of suits in the beginning is if it's a New Game +, or you have some of the DLC packs. Well, that's for 360 and PS3 anyway. Not sure whats different on the PC version.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
L00P said:
You're not the only one. Did it get fixed when you verified the files or what?

edit: Also, why are the stuff in the first store cost zero credits? Is that normal?
was that a glitch? if so i LOVE IT and imma abuse it :D

L00P

The Big Rig said:

Same here. Everything also costs zero credits. I'm like, wtf :/
How do you fix this? I don't wanna run through the whole game like a terminator right from the start

Psi

All of the weapon and armor DLC was enabled for free on the PC version in a patch after a hacked save file was released on the net enabling everything you can unlock/buy in the game.

ILOVEASIANS said:
Oh wow. That's pretty shitty for Visceral, but nice for everyone playing it on PC lol.

Well, the PC version was released with a bug that made it so people couldn't unlock Elite Suits on subsequent New Game + playthroughs, so they didn't have much of a choice... they just unlocked it from everybody after that point when the fixed the problem, I think.

codecow

Nirolak said:
I was digging around for some information for the Mercs 3 thread and noticed this.

It seems someone got a large promotion. Congrats!

Lol... Not really I have been a lead programmer for a long time (had same job title for 6-7 years or so), I just changed my profile.

Lince

Banned
codecow said:
Lol... Not really I have been a lead programmer for a long time (had same job title for 6-7 years or so), I just changed my profile.

hey did you work on the PS3 code for DS2? if so congrats man, you totally deserve a lot of praise and whatever money thrown at you. The game runs and looks so much better than DS1 (PS3).

Atomski said:

Exact same thing happened to me. When I checked the integrity it downloaded another 1.8GB!

I was on chapter 3 or so before I realized something was wrong. I'm at chapter 4ish right now (just got into the church) am I suppose to know why there is a ship chasing/trying to kill/capture me? I replayed the audio logs I missed, but other than mentioning who the bad dude is there is nothing else mentioned about it yet.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Well, the PC version was released with a bug that made it so people couldn't unlock Elite Suits on subsequent New Game + playthroughs, so they didn't have much of a choice... they just unlocked it from everybody after that point when the fixed the problem, I think.

Ahh. Nevermind then.

dankir

I'm loving this game so far, just made it to the 2nd disc. I guess i've been desensitized because of the first Dead Space cuz I'm not scared.

I think what they should of done is not have any crazy music playing with a necromorphs attack.

Seriously the sound design is fucking amazing, I play this in 7.1 in the dark. Walking the sprawl corridor only to hear a monster breathing or attacking me out of nowhere without music would have been much scarier. The sound is soooooooooooooooooooo good, I guess the music only adds to the mood.

Fantastic game all around.

IGN just put up an Inside Scoop: Dead Space article. It's a few months too late and has pretty much nothing but well known easter eggs/tips any competent player should have figured out.

Except...
The Marker sound at the end of the game was based on a vuvuzela.
lolololololololololol

Grisby

codecow said:

Well, still, congratulations on making an awesome game!

Both to you and the Monkey...peaches? I think.

ILOVEASIANS said:
IGN just put up an Inside Scoop: Dead Space article. It's a few months too late and has pretty much nothing but well known easter eggs/tips any competent player should have figured out.

Except...
The Marker sound at the end of the game was based on a vuvuzela.
lolololololololololol

hahahaha, I thought it was based on the Inception fog horn sound - BWRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Grisby said:
Well, still, congratulations on making an awesome game!

Both to you and the Monkey...peaches? I think.

Monkey Pants, lol

The scariest part of Dead Space 2 so far:

2BB37A37F5104EF64A05821B4904C0CCBD291D9A

Top Bottom