• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Definitely the new IP that's Frostbite 2 based as far as Redwood Shores goes.

newipwrcni.png

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
So I'm playing this game for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing on Zealot and I'm in the middle of chapter 9, and save for a couple rough spots, it's been a breeze.

I do have one question, though: What is the best weapon loadout? So far all I've used are the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun. They're not even fully upgraded either. Actually, nothing is. I have about 100k in credits, and all I buy is a tiny bit of ammo if I'm running low, and even that's not often. I feel like I should just buy a bunch of nodes and go crazy.

But I also want to check out some of the other weapons. What do you guys recommend?

Minamu

So I'm playing this game for the first time and I'm really enjoying it. I'm playing on Zealot and I'm in the middle of chapter 9, and save for a couple rough spots, it's been a breeze.

I do have one question, though: What is the best weapon loadout? So far all I've used are the Plasma Cutter and Line Gun. They're not even fully upgraded either. Actually, nothing is. I have about 100k in credits, and all I buy is a tiny bit of ammo if I'm running low, and even that's not often. I feel like I should just buy a bunch of nodes and go crazy.

But I also want to check out some of the other weapons. What do you guys recommend?
The Plasma Cutter with the fire effect is awesome. Force Gun is a complete beast! The Javelin Gun gained points when people saw it used during a Hard Core playthrough on youtube. The Contact Beam is absolutely insane if you upgrade its secondary attack. The rest aren't bad but are mostly novelty unfortunately. And yeah, Health and Nodes are what money is for :) And Nodes > Health. I prefer to wield PC and FG myself. That's what I used for Hard Core and switched to CB for the final boss.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
From chapter 10 and on the game has turned into a real bitch with its enemy encounters.

todahawk

From chapter 10 and on the game has turned into a real bitch with its enemy encounters.

Just got Dead Space 2 again after my ex threw out all of my PS3 games, including my DS2 CE. I'm so bummed, I played the MP beta to death, pre-ordered the CE and promptly beat the single player campaign, extraction and severed. I have not gotten to touch the MP at all yet.

Is the MP community still active at all?

So I'm finally playing the PC version and was wondering what dlc if any comes with singing in with my EA account? Is it just multiplayer?

dankir

Finally beat DS2 this weekend. Got the CE launch day played it for a few months and completely forgot about it. Played it pretty much non stop this past weekend. Goddamn the last few chapters are fucking intense.

Will try a Hardcore run, seems pretty daunting though :(

BRING ON DS3 on next gen in Frostbite 2.0 please!!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Guys I started replaying DS2 and I have a question. Why on earth are there tons of free weapons and armor in the shop for me? Kinda kills "the mood", I don't want to have access to free weapons in a game like DS for pete's sake.

Any ideas? I'm running it on steam if that matters.

Corky

Guys I started replaying DS2 and I have a question. Why on earth are there tons of free weapons and armor in the shop for me? Kinda kills "the mood", I don't want to have access to free weapons in a game like DS for pete's sake.

Any ideas? I'm running it on steam if that matters.

Anyone ? :[

Nirolak where you at?!

Corky

You're on PC I take it? I think there was a bug where special pre-order dlc wasn't unlocking properly, or something like that, so they just patched it so everything was available from the start.

Oh, bollocks :(

It might come across as paradoxal but I really wish I didn't have all the preorder stuff or free weapons or w/e. Kinda deflates the sense of scarcity when you can get every weapon and armor in the game for 0 credits. :/

Maybe I could uninstall it and have steam not patch the game.

goodfella

Oh, bollocks :(

It might come across as paradoxal but I really wish I didn't have all the preorder stuff or free weapons or w/e. Kinda deflates the sense of scarcity when you can get every weapon and armor in the game for 0 credits. :/

Maybe I could uninstall it and have steam not patch the game.

I believe I read that inserting the CD key from Steam into Origin will get you an un-patched version of the game.

AlexBasch

Just finished it.

Can't believe I'm stilly shaky from the Step Four. >___< I had a bit of issues with the game, like some necromorphs fight are definitely repetitive and get you in a "oh, not this shit again" rather than "gotta go fast" mood.

E3 gave me the urge to play through this again, and I really want to try and do Hardcore. I played a bit of Zealot yesterday (it's been so long, I figured I needed some practice), and died a lot in the first two chapters, especially at the part where you're dangling upside down after the train sequence. I absolutely hate that bit.

I'm just going to cheese it and use this glitch for inifinte power nodes/credits to totally max everything out. Sure, it's cheating, but playing for hours, dying, and having to restart from hours ago isn't my idea of fun.

bj00rn_

Banned
I've been gaming for soon 3 decades, and I'm sorry to say that this is so far one of my most hated games of all time. Disappointed in the direction it went..

I've been gaming for soon 3 decades, and I'm sorry to say that this is so far one of my most hated games of all time. First time in a long I've actually thrown my controller at the floor.. And I actually enjoyed the first game..
Care to elaborate what bothered you so much...? #IDontGetIt

Plissken

I've been gaming for soon 3 decades, and I'm sorry to say that this is so far one of my most hated games of all time. Disappointed in the direction it went..

I'm the polar opposite here. I've also been playing for 3 decades, and this series is up among my favorites of all time. If you liked the first, I don't see how the second could be your "most hated" of all time. It didn't deviate THAT much from the first game. I'm with IvanI, curious as to what made you hate it.

What's the best way to go about upgrading your equipment using power nodes?

Is it advisable to focus on the plasma cutter first, since you'll probably be using it the most?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What's the best way to go about upgrading your equipment using power nodes?

Is it advisable to focus on the plasma cutter first, since you'll probably be using it the most?

Depends on your goals with the game. And what difficulty you're playing on... if you plan to go into NG+ or if you're trying to get trophies/achievements.

Don't mean to give you a non-answer... just saying. I can say that, much like DS1, upgraded plasma cutter is very capable/powerful.

Personally I like variety.

Depends on your goals with the game. And what difficulty you're playing on... if you plan to go into NG+ or if you're trying to get trophies/achievements.

Don't mean to give you a non-answer... just saying. I can say that, much like DS1, upgraded plasma cutter is very capable/powerful.

Personally I like variety.

Just a regular playthrough on normal, really. Don't care about trophies, not doing NG+.

Evolved1

Just a regular playthrough on normal, really. Don't care about trophies, not doing NG+.

Well on normal there isn't too much stress... you really can spend your nodes however you like. There wouldn't be enough to upgrade everything in one playthrough, even if you collect them all and buy them from the store, but you get enough to either max out a few things or buff a bunch of stuff.

I feel like on normal you have enough leeway to experiment and make mistakes. Just have at least one weapon (whichever one you really like) that's buffed a bit more than others... for when things get dicey.

But I'm not a DS2 pro... I read some guides when I was thinking about chasing a platinum... My first time through I played it similarly to you. And I spread my nodes around and bought whatever looked cool. I also sunk a lot of nodes into the suit and stasis... the latter is pretty powerful in DS2 and will really save your ass.

Andrew.

Banned
So I encountered a game breaking glitch on the PS3 version and I was wondering if anyone here has encountered the same.

It's right after the tripod/elevator sequence in the room where you find the Force Gun schematic. Three different times I heard an audio pop sound and then the game just froze leaving me with no choice but to shut off the system manually. I created a new save file on top of the old and still nothing could help. really sucks as I was on my Zealot run and doing a damn good job.

been playing this (from my ps+ subsription)
its a fun game and all, solid sequal to a very fresh first part
I am on my second +playthrough on zealot, which is kinda fun.

but I dread playing it on hardcore (to get the trophy) I think I am going to skip that, it would just cause too much frustration I believe...
or am I overreacting hysterically, isn't it that bad on hardcore?

Mikeside

I would love love love to be able to replay Dead Space 1 and 2 again if they took out the regenerating necros (except, I guess I enjoyed the one you put in the blast furnace) and the last 10 minutes of "FUCKING RUN" in Dead Space 2.

Such a shame about these bits, because the games are so fucking awesome outside of them.

Raptor

Im just after I meet Daiana in person, that was a surprise lol.

Really loving it more than the first, or equal, that I don't actually know why I waited this long to play this one, I beated the first in the highest diff but I don't think I have the time now to complete this one in Hard Core.

Graphics are amazing.

I want that damn Zealot Suit, if somebody don't used their CE code or something and wants to gave it away Im here :D

Hell Im thinking in getting Ignition for that good looking suit it gives you.

Raptor

So Im on CH13 now, got my Advanced Suit, badass looking, I have a full upgraded Plasma Cutter, one nod short for a Full Stasis, and 2 nods short for a full Rig, didn't put any nods for Air.

Missed the damn Peng I think, oh well I will find it on Game+.

Guys, i just boot the game for the first time, I visit the first shop and... everything is free but one weapon.

Is this a bug ? i don't have any dlc that I can remeber buying...

Bladenic

So I started this game and turned it off at the first save point. I remember reading you get some stuff if you have a DS save correct? What about Ignition? I didn't beat that game because it was awful, is it worth trudging through for whatever you get? Also are the goodies just gonna be at the store or tucked away somewhere else?

So I started this game and turned it off at the first save point. I remember reading you get some stuff if you have a DS save correct? What about Ignition? I didn't beat that game because it was awful, is it worth trudging through for whatever you get? Also are the goodies just gonna be at the store or tucked away somewhere else?
Ignition is not worth it for anything.

The extras should be in the store, I believe. They don't show up until later.

nel e nel

Ignition is not worth it for anything.

The extras should be in the store, I believe. They don't show up until later.

The extras are 4 locked rooms scattered throughout the game that hold supplies, and a blueprint for the Hacker suit, which give you a bonus on the hacking mini-games.

http://deadspace.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Space:_Ignition#Completion_Bonus

A DS1 save just gives you the classic plasma cutter skin from the first game.

If you're a fan of the lore, Ignition is worth it for that, as it's works in tandem with Dead Space mobile to really flesh out the events that lead to the necromorph outbreak on the Sprawl.

nel e nel

been playing this (from my ps+ subsription)
its a fun game and all, solid sequal to a very fresh first part
I am on my second +playthrough on zealot, which is kinda fun.

but I dread playing it on hardcore (to get the trophy) I think I am going to skip that, it would just cause too much frustration I believe...
or am I overreacting hysterically, isn't it that bad on hardcore?

It's not sooo bad, it just requires some preparation beforehand, and plenty of time to do 3 long sessions. The one thing working against you since you're playing a digital version, is that the 2-disc version gave you a free checkpoint when you had to switch discs: if you died at the start of disc 2, the game would just send you back to the beginning of disc 2, not all the way back to your previous save.

Hard core can piss off. I made it to chapter six and died, no save. Fucking Leapers. >:| I knew I should have saved before that battle.

Evolved1

Hard core can piss off. I made it to chapter six and died, no save. Fucking Leapers. >:| I knew I should have saved before that battle.

If consoles had some kind of sleep mode like the Vita, modes and trophies like this wouldn't bother me as much, but since they don't, these kind of requirements take all the fun out of getting trophies.

Who has time for this? They should at least introduce some kind of one-off save state that lets you turn off the game for a bit if real life comes knocking...

iY4qhE0M11xic.gif

~4 hours down the drain. Made it to chapter 9 only to die by the one of those decompression windows. First save is in chapter 6 at least.

Edit: I died on the elevator during chapter seven because of a glitch. *lays down on the floor*

Finally got around to playing this. Enjoyed the first Dead Space well enough and so far (in general) enjoying this one. But I find it way more annoying than I expected:

1) Unless I missed one of the opening tutorials, there's no quick 180 command. This would be fine if they either a) gave you an enemy radar or b) didn't put enemies around you, but seeing as how they do b, I find it incredibly annoying to get hit suddenly from behind. It's not even scary - just incredibly cheap and annoying. Especially when you get into a loop of multiple monsters ganging up on you.

2) Constant elevator riding to hide load times becomes really conspicuous early on. Wish they could have found another way to hide them.

3) Those velociraptor-like monsters are fucking annoying. I've just started spamming the floor with mines whenever they pop up.

4) The chick constantly whispering in your ear / glitchy screen flashbacks / broken, barely audible radio chatter gets very annoying very quickly. The whole story is a wash for me and if there was a way to have a "bare bones" mode without the narrative elements it'd be much better for me.

The game had tension for the first hour or two, but at Chapter 13 it's now just a test to see how annoyed I can get with certain elements. Whenever I hear the music I just start running around - not because I'm panicked but because I know if I just focus on the enemy in front of me I'll inevitably get hit by an unforeseeable enemy from behind at any minute.

Spamming mines everywhere is the way to go. The combat definitely suffers when you are swarmed with enemies, no good crowd control methods that are not weapon dependent.

Fished Hard Core mode, finally. I'm never going to get those hours back. :| On the plus side, the secret weapon is kind of fun.

Playing it for the first time on PC with mouse + kb, on survivalist. Up to Ch 3. It's true, lot less ammo for plasma cutter to force you to use the other weapons which is ok I guess.

What's going on here?
ibgkpVukXlnYfr.gif

It sounds like a person is stuck inside the laundry machine. I attacked it, but nothing happened. So it's not a necromorph. Maybe just window dressing like the people holed up in their apartments?

Top Bottom