• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

sephi22

Man I feel like the general gaming press isn't giving this game it's due, and I don't blame them. This game, especially on Hardcore, has been one of the finest gaming experiences of my life. I've been so caught up in my Dark Souls/Catherine/Skyrim moments that I totally forgot about the holy-fuck moments in Hardcore mode.

I must've failed and restarted my HC play through about 20 times. The worst was when I had a near perfect run till chapter 5 and then died by getting decapitated by a spinning fan that I stasis'd a moment too late. FUUUUUUU.....

The elevator level, and the part in the church with the 3-4 regenerator bats are the worst offenders. But finally getting the achievement was so worth it. Also the weapon you get after totally breaks it. Finished zealot in about 3 hours without saving.

Still have to play through Ignition and Extraction. Is severed worth it? I'm a sucker for the Dead Space universe.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Man I feel like the general gaming press isn't giving this game it's due, and I don't blame them.

I don't understand, am I reading this wrong? You don't blame them for not giving the game its due?

Nonetheless, I agree - I wish the game got bigger exposure.

sephi22

Yes, I don't blame them because I, a person who played this game for 50+ hours, too forgot about all it's goodness because of all the fall games, especially Skyrim, which has been boring ever since I upgraded my weapons and armor.

If someone like me, who really enjoyed 100%-ing this game can forget about it so soon, I can't blame the journalists who played a lot more games and probably played a lot less of this game than I did. I should've worded it better.

K' Dash

I asked on the first post of this page, but they're aren't releasing more SP DLC, right? I'd pay 1600 space bucks for a nice expasion focusing on Ellie.

Corky

Yes, I don't blame them because I, a person who played this game for 50+ hours, too forgot about all it's goodness because of all the fall games, especially Skyrim, which has been boring ever since I upgraded my weapons and armor.

If someone like me, who really enjoyed 100%-ing this game can forget about it so soon, I can't blame the journalists who played a lot more games and probably played a lot less of this game than I did. I should've worded it better.

Well granted, as is customary with january releases, they do tend to get swamped and easily forgotten ( regardless of quality ) when an entire year filled with a plethora of games has passed.

delta25

Banned
The hardest areas were those that were both open and that you could traverse a big section of it and see it from different angles. The worst offenders were:

The main shopping mall on the sprawl where you meet Ellie on the way back, The main chapel of Unitologist Church, and the main room in the mines with the drills working in the background, and the final Marker room.

They still came out looking alright, but we had to cut them down significantly from what we originally had or they just wouldn't run.

Other areas, where you had a playable space and then a huge vista, actually weren't that hard because we knew you couldn't get up to the vista or get to the other side of it.

None the less it looks and plays amazing. Kudos to you guys for creating such a masterpiece.

delta25

Banned
Well granted, as is customary with january releases, they do tend to get swamped and easily forgotten ( regardless of quality ) when an entire year filled with a plethora of games has passed.

It would really help to if the gaming press didn't have the memory span equivalent to that of an elderly person with extreme dementia.

Edgeward

Hey I just started, what weapons should I focus on? I've heard of picking Plasma Cutter or Rifle and not both, and some things about Ripper and Force but I want to know and not waste nodes.

thefit

Got this for Xmas and I gotta say as a now casual gamer no other game has kept me entertained for so long lately like ds2. The visuals blew me away (pc btw) and the story is fun only complaint is all the puzzles the same puzzle and the central theme of always being so close yet so far away from everything was getting redundant. Great game, gonna look up part 1 now.

Skyrim grew old on me fast too I should have known better since I've never been into the whole wizards and dragons and shit.

delta25

Banned
Hey I just started, what weapons should I focus on? I've heard of picking Plasma Cutter or Rifle and not both, and some things about Ripper and Force but I want to know and not waste nodes.

The plasma cutter is the one to focus on, a fully upgraded plasma cutter is all you'll end up needing.

edit

Oh make sure you have detonator handy for dealing with Stalkers.

Edgeward

So it's just like Dead Space 1 then, again. I thought they fixed it and made it so that it was more important to use different weapons but whatever. Cool.

Noogy

I finally took a break and played this game, and I have to say congrats to the dev team! This is some incredible stuff. The moment where you
meet Daina in person
might very well be the most incredible thing I saw this year. I've already loaded that scene up several times just to drop other peoples' jaws.

delta25

Banned
So it's just like Dead Space 1 then, again. I thought they fixed it and made it so that it was more important to use different weapons but whatever. Cool.

Well, you should experiment with all the weapons at your disposal. Killing Necromorphs can be done in a lot of different ways thus having a nice array of interesting weapons always makes it a lot more fun to kill them.

senador

Banned

Kinda yeah. I played on one notch above normal difficulty and was trying multiple guns. A quarter of the way in I got stuck on a save because I had no money and no ammo. I ended up going back a few saves and stuck with the cutter until it was upgraded fully then I branched out. On my next play through I have been meaning to get to forever, I'll be doing other weapons with new game plus. I found the cutter to be the most fun anyway, I love that gun.

gdt

The other weapons are much more useful now than in DS1. The Line Gun, the Force one, all good stuff.

God, this game came out a year ago! I need to replay this series. I need to stop talking about it, and do it.

Noogy

Story is predictable.
I never said anything about that sequence being unpredictable.. in fact parts of it were spoiled at E3. And they keep using this 'twist' in pretty much every game (including the iOS one). But the sequence is a technical achievement, and well directed. As a developer I marvel at how many pieces have to come together for something like that.

I still prefer the first game, but it was nice to return to that universe with improved controls (reloading while running, faster camera movement, etc).

SamuraiX-

The other weapons are much more useful now than in DS1. The Line Gun, the Force one, all good stuff.

God, this game came out a year ago! I need to replay this series. I need to stop talking about it, and do it.

A contact beam with fully upgraded secondary fire is the sex.

Makes some of more difficult battles in the later stages of the game a cakewalk.

True, but i still finished both games using only the Plasma Cutter and Ripper easily. Maybe Dead Space 3 could have enemies that can only be killed with fire or has a shell that needs to be destroyed first with the Force gun?

Corky

Er yeah no... I find every single weapon to be viable now. Sure you don't use the line gun against 1 single necro-baby, nor should you use the javelin gun on one of those toddlers.

Each weapon has its weaknesses and strengths but the line up is much more balanced than in DS1.

sephi22

The different guns are way more useful this time around, but depends on the difficulty. The plasma cutter is always useful, the pulse rifle is more useful at lower difficulties and progressively becomes weaker at higher ones, the detonator is super sexy during zealot/hardcore when you know where the most difficult enemies are going to come from, the contact beam is a godsend for bosses, the ripper is godlike when you're cornered, and is the only weapon that feels OP when upgraded even at the highest difficulty.

You're going to get the shit kicked out of you if you only use a plasma cutter, even a fully upgraded one, in zealot/hardcore. There are so many enemies in certain areas that can one-hit you and you do t get enough time to kill each one before you get overwhelmed. Also getting ammo for a single gun is way harder. And selling ammo to get the type you want isn't recommended since you need those power nodes.

The only weapons I didn't get much use for are the Rivet gun and the Flamethrower.

Replicant

Still have to play through Ignition and Extraction. Is severed worth it? I'm a sucker for the Dead Space universe.
Stay away from Ignition unless you want torturous boring puzzle game. Extraction is okay but I don't like light gun esque game like that. Severed is a must just for the ending alone.

sephi22

I already own extraction HD (ds2 limited copy) and ignition ($4 or something off PSN+ sale). Severed is the only one I don't own?

I actually liked what I played of extraction. A lot. I think it's a must play for fans of the story. But I got destroyed when the necros showed up. Need to bust out the move for this.

I already own extraction HD (ds2 limited copy) and ignition ($4 or something off PSN+ sale). Severed is the only one I don't own?

I actually liked what I played of extraction. A lot. I think it's a must play for fans of the story. But I got destroyed when the necros showed up. Need to bust out the move for this.

Well in that case definitely get Severed. It was on sale in PSN not long ago, maybe it's still cheap!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Severed was good, and what I played of Extraction with the DS3 was good too, but I'll have to try it with the Move.

Downloaded the demo for Ignition and it was total ass. If you hadn't already bought it, I would've adviced you to stay away from it.

Tsukumo

Man I feel like the general gaming press isn't giving this game it's due, and I don't blame them.

So true. Smooth animations, constant change of setting and location, fair difficulty, GORGEOUS battle suits,
and DAT eye-sequence!
. First time I entered zero-gravity was memorable.
Still haven't nailed hard-core though. And that empty space under Severed feels soooo saaad...

Weapons are all fairly balanced, the best way if you are planning on multiple playthroughs is to try each and get the feel for each one. Weapons ARE context-sensitive: you have a basic gun (plasma cutter, rivet gun, pulse rifle) snipe-oriented weapons (javelin gun, sniper rifle) power-weapons (line gun, contact beam) and crowd control weapons (flamethrower, force gun, ripper). Plasma cutter is still powerful, but on highest difficulty you will get nowhere if it's going to be the only gun you've powered up: bullets are going to drain fast. Also most Alt-fire attacks have their own quirks this time around. I would go as far as to say that figuring out how each weapon plays out is a game in itself.
As a matter of fact there is one achievement linked to one of the most "technical" weapons, and it will give you a lot of fun and satisfaction if you happen to figure it out for yourself.

First time through: Line Gun or Javelin?

The Line gun is the true Big gun in the game. The basic firing option has a spread that will maul down big groups of very powerful enemies in a matter of three, four shots. The alt-fire (explosive mine) takes some time to get used to, but its effectiveness is much bigger than the first Dead Space. It's not a weapon that needs precision and tactics. Like that song, you know? now you better watch out, 'cause Jhonny's got a Line-gun...
The Javelin gun works as a sniper rifle: impales in one shot almost every enemy-type, very slow fire rate, ammo is scarce, extremely powerful alt-fire (electric pulse). Unless you have already played through the game once though, the Javelin Gun will get you killed a lot of times, either because you've missed a shot, because you didn't notice you have no ammo left, or because the spread of the alt-fire for some obscure reason didn't hit enemies who were RIGHT NEXT to the one you impaled.

sephi22

My favorite change from the first game this time around is the increased importance of stasis and kinesis. Kinesis is 2x as useful as last time and stasis is 10x as useful. I never used stasis in Dead Space 1 except for the puzzle sections, but a fully upgraded stasis module is required during zealot/hardcore.

I feel like this series resembles Bioshock a lot, both in the atmosphere as well as gameplay. Both games get better at higher difficulties. I played the first Bioshock like a shooter on Easy, but on the Survivor difficulty, I had to lay traps, use status altering plasmids, do research using the camera, use the control big daddy plasmid, etc just to stay alive. Dead Space 1 was different since I did Impossible mode using the Plasma Cutter only for the one gun trophy, but Dead Space 2 is a lot like high level Bioshock. There were times when I had to enter a room, kinesis every body out of it so that the necros don't revive it, lay Detonator mines, kinesis every stasis cylinder and keep it next to me, them walk a few steps and trigger the necros. Every room feels like it could be your last, and that makes it much more tense than DS1.

For whatever reason this game put my off around release. I think it was because I paid ful price for it when I only paid $20 for DS1. I dunno ...

Point is it's been calling lately. I'm really excited to give it a proper run this time instead of the "ho-hum overpriced AAA" run I gave it initially.

And then this thread pops up.

:D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
One thimg I'd like to see addressed in DS3 is how "stasis'ed" enemies can still hurt you with their melee attacks despite them movind too slow to actually do so.

Am I forgetting something about Dead Space 1? I Just got to the part where
that first gal who talks to you over the radio reveals herself to be a Unitologist, and her making reference to Isaac creating that rock or whatever (I can't remember the name) has me baffled. Did this happen in Dead Space 1, or was it in some side story? Why is Isaac special?

Am I forgetting something about Dead Space 1? I Just got to the part where
that first gal who talks to you over the radio reveals herself to be a Unitologist, and her making reference to Isaac creating that rock or whatever (I can't remember the name) has me baffled. Did this happen in Dead Space 1, or was it in some side story? Why is Isaac special?

because being exposed to the marker didn't make him commit suicide or murder everyone. he wasn't immune to the original marker but his tolerance to it is much higher than anyone elses. as an engineer who was exposed to it for a long time... well... perhaps you can figure out his value.

One thimg I'd like to see addressed in DS3 is how "stasis'ed" enemies can still hurt you with their melee attacks despite them movind too slow to actually do so.

i think from a gameplay stance it's fair that they hurt you. it's so cool dodging them in slow mo. if it wasn't worth dodging them, you wouldn't get that cool feeling when you just slip out the way.

Nizz

Javelin. Holyfuck.

Look at this guy doing hardcore on the final chapter with it. Dude is demolishing the game with the Javelin.

Gonna try this tactic when I'm doing my Hardcore playthrough this year
Just watched this and wow, he's a beast with the Javelin. I hardly used this weapon when I played but I'll definitely give this weapon a look in later playthroughs. Although I'll probably never play through on Hardcore.

I watched Dead Space: Downfall the other night. Some things about the movie like some characters were a little cliche (Shen) but it was nice getting some backstory setting up the games. I saw Kelly Hu voiced Shen, mmmmm. :)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm leaning towards this being their new IP instead of Dead Space:

visceral2p9bqb.png

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Thats ok, imo, to let the IP breath for a bit, and give their people room to create something else they're interested in. Or maybe these folks will do the naughty dog two team thing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thats ok, imo, to let the IP breath for a bit, and give their people room to create something else they're interested in. Or maybe these folks will do the naughty dog two team thing?

Visceral is a bit more like four to six teams from what I can tell.

We know about Dead Space 3, Army of Four, and then some new IPs.

There's also some kind of Play4Free (free 2 play) thing as they've set up a sub studio: http://www.linkedin.com/in/noisewar

visceralp4ftcq08.png

I'm guessing that this is related to their MOBA title.

Quikies83

I never finished this.. My 360 bit the dust and I picked up a PS3.. I think I'll double dip..
How's the PS3 version? Any significant differences between the two console versions?

Top Bottom