• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Replicant

Edgeward

Is there ever a good reason to spend a power node to go into the locked rooms? Everytime so far the loot has cost less than the node used to enter.

Is there ever a good reason to spend a power node to go into the locked rooms? Everytime so far the loot has cost less than the node used to enter.

On second and third playthroughs (and more), I skip them. I believe there's some story to be had in a few of them though if I'm not mistaken.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Wow really? I found the loot to be better than a node ( or worth more ) 9 out of 10 times.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Schematics are sometimes behind node doors. And sometimes you even find a node in the room you open.

Always open the doors. Carry 2 nodes on you at all times. Pump all the rest into upgrades. That's what I did.

leng jai

Doors are always worth it. Some rooms have nodes inside them and they combined content is nearly always more than the value of one node.

Edgeward

Man, fuck
Ubermorphs
. The end sequence was so annoying and so was the final boss. But the game is still stellar. I liked the move to more action compared to the first one but I hate how the last bit gets too heavy on action. But I had a powered up Ripper to take my frustrations on Necromorphs with, it's OP and also damn satisfying.

senador

Banned
You all are making me want to play this again so badly! I would except I need to do Mass Effect play throughs to prepare for the 3rd.

The sites and sounds in this game are so awesome.

Minamu

You can now get every dlc in a bundle for 10 dollars or so on the EU PSN store :D So bought! That's a 59% price drop for us.

Edit: Welp, the game just gave me a heart attack, I think. Even though we talked about the dlc and regions in here one or two weeks ago, I forgot that my copy of the game is from another region but I bought the dlc anyway xD Money wasted. Or so I thought until frantically the menus for a way to start the expansion. Seems to work, as it shows up as installed anyway. Gonna try and start it, wish me luck. It is Friday the 13th after all...

Edit2: Beat it on Survivalist in 2:10. Sequel teaser much? :) Felt like the "The Arrival" DLC for Mass Effect 2 but a lot longer. With all DLC weapons, the shops were kinda hard to navigate and hard to see what was actually new, if anything ever was. I'd recommend it, if only to get another dose of that particular Dead Space feeling in your belly (I don't want to die, I don't want to die!) :)

GrayFoxPL

Finished this mothefucker. Holy shit, why did I play it on survivalist from the get go?

I died countless times on some kill rooms. 20+ enemies in room, when you think you're safe something pukes are you from the back. Last chapters are ruthless but intense as last levels should be. Used mostly javelin the whole game, because the ammo is cheap and it's a strong weapon.

The game definitely improves from ds1 in action, weapons, intensiveness, enemy variety and the defined looks but I miss the map from ds1 and kinda better difficulty balancing. DS2 is brutal and I like it but in some kill rooms they took it too far.

I love the engine, the game never slows down with billion things happening on screen. Easily my favorite engine this generation.

The zero g sections are wasted potential due to unnatural control scheme that doesn't allow to rotate character in every direction just align it to the ground(?). Looks and feels wrong, so simply walking in zero g in the original was better. Shame.

I love the series but the story is shit imo, I couldn't get into it in the original and the sequel just made it duller. I couldn't believe they warped most of the story around the
dead girlfriend that looks like she swallowed box of light bulbs and just brags and acts annoyingly the whole game. Didn't we get over her by the time ds1 ended? Apparently not.
But I must admit the ending level was very cool and brought more to the story then the rest of the game.

After finishing I updated the game and tried online - hey it's pretty good! I thought it was some throw away addition but no, it's solid and playing as loony necromorphs is hilarious!

Visceral earned my utter respect with the series. Bring on DS3(and hire a better writer)!

Minamu

Isaac you sentimental slob! ;)
Haha yeah sort of :) Anyway, beat Severed on Zealot tonight. With the Bloody Force Gun and the Plasma Cutter, it was really easy and I had close to zero reasons to buy anything but nodes. Plenty of ammo imho. Died thrice due to getting trapped in a corner with one of those exploding arm thingies close by and getting blown up by a red tank at point blank. And those damn laser mines at the end >_< Dead body under a desk two feet away = no connection made :) Let's use my own body instead!

Edit: Wow, Hard Core is pretty intense :D Died at the third enemy during the intro chase :lol Dunno what happened. But I managed to make it to Chapter 6 in one go with the help of dlc weapons and the special health suit. Upgraded my way to fire dmg at first and maxed out the stasis charges after that. Getting two health upgrades and then I'm gonna focus on the force gun I think.

Edit2: Damn you Tripod boss with your one shot leap attack :( Two hours wasted and four chapters need to be replayed. Gonna save before chapter 10 starts now, instead of after the boss fight. Up until that point, the game is pretty straight forward and not very challenging at all. With 60+ shots for each weapon, I really need to manage my inventory on a regular basis.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, we can finally put this debate to rest:

systemshock39pb7w.png

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just finished it on Survivalist my first time and my feelings on the game took a severe nosedive the farther in I played practically bottoming-out during the very shitty endboss. I'd almost call this one of the most disappointing sequels I have played this entire gen.

Most of the combat encounters are terribly scripted and designed. Enemies often just appear behind me without real indication, and way too many scenarios force you to kill in extremely confined areas(tram, elevator, almost the entire final three chapters...ugh).

Story and characters are just garbage. Who is ellie? Why did she tell me to shove off the moment I meet her, then suddenly act so helpful three minutes later? What made her such a special survivor unlike everyone else? The Nicole shit was even worse. Not once was she ever utilized to any great effect. Her constant interrupts were never unsettling, and Isaac's guilt made zero sense. The marker stuff...good setup in the first game, and the writers failed to uncover or execute anything meaningful regarding it in the sequel.

As a sequel, DS2 delivered nothing new or creatively inspired(eye poke scene notwithstanding). A few new enemies, a rather bland space station, a few new guns, and nothing else. It is a 12 hour expansion pack with barely any new ideas. Bland story, characters, environs, and more of the exact same action. The shooting is competent, but the design is a flop. As an endearing fan of the first game, Dead Space 2 was a limp sequel.

BosSin

Hey guys I'm LTTP as I recently purchased this during midweek madness (I think). Anyway I reached the store and found it strange that I was able to get items like the heavy duty line gun and other stuff for 0 credits... What's the deal with this? Is there any way to alter the settings so its like I'm playing it for the first time? Or is this actually normal?

Ok, after a quick google search I've found out that the stuff is all part of DLC. I think it would be better to play the game the first time around without these extra items, how do I disable this DLC (I couldn't find an obvious solution).

Through even further research I have found out that the only way to disable this DLC is to use the original unpatched version of the dead space.exe

sigh, this sucks. Anyone happen to have this file?

Ok, final update on my little issue, through another google search I happened to randomly come across the unpatched exe file. If anyone needs this to play without the dlc pre-unlocked pm me.

senador

Banned
Should I play the first one before part 2?

I prefer the 2nd for its better sights and sounds and increased use of color. But yes, play the first. The 2nd won't make much sense if you don't and the first is fairly original. The setting is very creepy and gives you an idea of what a ship might feel like deep in space with what happens in the game. Its more quite and lonely and scarier I think. Probably another reason I prefer 2, haha!

New interview with Chuck Beaver (story producer) on the nature of religion in Dead Space and games. Interesting stuff. Warning, spoilers for DS iOS, DS2, and Martyr.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1216818p1.html

Very interesting stuff. Some bits that weren't mentioned in the games are hinted at (A Cold War in the Sprawl? Would have been cool to see). Also, a lot of what Beaver says is really worth a read.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
New interview with Chuck Beaver (story producer) on the nature of religion in Dead Space and games. Interesting stuff. Warning, spoilers for DS iOS, DS2, and Martyr.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1216818p1.html

Very interesting stuff. Some bits that weren't mentioned in the games are hinted at (A Cold War in the Sprawl? Would have been cool to see). Also, a lot of what Beaver says is really worth a read.

Unless EA has multiple Creative Directors per game these days, the Dead Space team definitely does seem to be turning into two teams after Dead Space 3 launches.

IGN said:
IGN: How do you keep other writers in line so they abide by it? When people work on the comics and movies and games, do they answer to you?

CB: So far I've been able to keep the empire under control (laughs). Mostly through points of contact. I'm in charge of all that, then I lens it through Ben Wanat, my Creative Director.

Recently started a Zealot run. So much better like this, even if mildly frustrating. I love how I've been perpetually almost-out-of-ammo, forcing me to really stay on my toes, keep all my weapons fully-loaded, always conscious of which guns have how many shots left, etc.

Only complaint, I'm sure mentioned a million times, is that I really don't appreciate enemies that are triggered by invisible lines. Breaks immersion completely, especially when re-doing a section. Shit should be random.

Minamu

Recently started a Zealot run. So much better like this, even if mildly frustrating. I love how I've been perpetually almost-out-of-ammo, forcing me to really stay on my toes, keep all my weapons fully-loaded, always conscious of which guns have how many shots left, etc.

Only complaint, I'm sure mentioned a million times, is that I really don't appreciate enemies that are triggered by invisible lines. Breaks immersion completely, especially when re-doing a section. Shit should be random.
I understand where you're coming from for sure. It'd be an amazing amount of work to make it work well if it was all random or different on retries though.

Finished this 2 days ago.

Loved it to bits. PC Version using a 360 controller @ 1080p was sweet.

Im disapointed that the DLC is not available and only exclusive to consoles. Is it worth renting and downloading the 2 missions or am i not missing much?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys maybe someone here knows what's up.

Booted up DS2 on steam this morning at it started downloading a 434.9 mb patch :O, what's up?

1-D_FTW

I remember someone telling me the first game was a lot better. I'll definitely agree with this. It's still a decent game, but I can't help but feel everything's designed in this game for set-up moments. Which would be okay, I guess, if the game scared me in the least. It's so ridiculously canned, however, I haven't even flinched a single time. So this is a trade that hasn't payed off for me. I'm guessing they'll be continuing the streamlined process in the sequel, so I guess this is where I step off the ride.

What happened? Hard Core mode own you? :)
It's hell, in a heavenly way :) As good as multiplatform titles ever get. Benchmark level.

Technical issues.

Mikeside

Just finished this game, holy shit, was it awesome!
Really enjoyed the original and didn't think they could top it, but I stand corrected.

Absolutely loved the environments, the zero grav sections, story was fun and definitely improved over the first game...

bring on 3, EA!

1-D_FTW

Okay. So my opinion definitely picked up a lot. Still think 1 is a little better, but was a great game indeed. Glad I stuck with it.

Top Bottom