• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Just beat the game on Survivalist. Overall, I didn't have much of a problem with the difficulty at all. I could've done Zealot my first run. :( Fucking GAFers! Never again will I listen to you regarding difficulty. :lol

Anyways, I enjoyed most of it. However, I have some complaints.
First off, the game can be pretty damn cheap: cheap scares throughout, and cheap hits that often lead to cheap deaths (Hardcore difficulty is going to be a nightmare due to this).
Also, the unoriginality. Not to say Dead Space 1 was the most original game out there, but it was still a fresh take on the game RE4 basically perfected. This one? It's pretty much the same shit in a different locale. Mostly the same enemies, barring some bad new ones (the Stalkers are so shitty) peppered throughout in pretty much the exact same manner (late game spoiler:
the indestrucible necro even comes back at around the same point in the game for god's sake
).

In any case, it was a hell of a ride, but in retrospect, I'm a bit disappointed there weren't more new scenarios or genuine horror - just a plethora of jump scares.

Ending spoiler:
I do appreciate the ending, though. Now THAT was terror. :p

plagiarize said:
i know we often agree on these things, but that doesn't mean i shouldn't go on the record and say 'i agree with this'.

Well I think Dead Space 2 gets the sci-fi action horror right; hell, the first game did, but the first game never really scared or bothered me.

The sequel is in a completely different league altogether. It not only nails the sci-fi/action horror genre, but it gets things right that none of the Silent Hill games have in quite some time.

There are still jump scares aplenty, but this game goes much, much further than that. One of the greatest moments ever for me was
in the church, when you're waiting for traitor bitch to unlock a door, you hear all these noises like there's shit in the room with you, then dead silence-- I start looking around with my gun armed, only to find something FUCKING PEEKING AROUND A CORNER AT ME

It's that sort of thing that a lot of creative horror teams don't seem to understand worth a god damn. And that's just one moment out of about 30 I could cite that occurred in just a few hours of play. If this was just another game of run around and shoot crap that jumps out of nowhere, I wouldn't be singing this kind of praise. But here I am.

Seriously Visceral, my hat is off to you crazy bastards.

AAK

My copy has finally shipped!

Any official news regarding a Playstation Move patch for Dead Space 2? Did the developers ever comment on it?

brandonh83 said:
There are still jump scares aplenty, but this game goes much, much further than that. One of the greatest moments ever for me was
in the church, when you're waiting for traitor bitch to unlock a door, you hear all these noises like there's shit in the room with you, then dead silence-- I start looking around with my gun armed, only to find something FUCKING PEEKING AROUND A CORNER AT ME

It's that sort of thing that a lot of creative horror teams don't seem to understand worth a god damn. And that's just one moment out of about 30 I could cite that occurred in just a few hours of play. If this was just another game of run around and shoot crap that jumps out of nowhere, I wouldn't be singing this kind of praise. But here I am.

Seriously Visceral, my hat is off to you crazy bastards.

The moment in the church you just described did permanent psychological damage to me.

Beat the game today on Zealot with a tricked out plasma cutter and a half-way tricked out rivet gun.

The final boss...I thought I was fucked, but patience and luck let me win. It was torturous though and I'm still drained from the fight.

That final last push to the boss fight aged me about five years.

Fuck You Visceral...I love you though.

What a wonderful game. Thanks for such a great game.

Dead Space 2 is such a ridiculously confident (and scary) game and I can't WAIT to see where Visceral takes the third game. DS2 is already a very strong candidate for my GOTY in what I know is going to be a very busy year.

Going to start playing after the GSL Finals, should I go Zealot or Survivalist? Initially I decided Zealot, but I'm hearing a lot of people say Survivalist gets really hard at the end.

brandonh83 said:
I'm anxious to see if the last boss here is just as crazy as the one in the first game.
The bosses I've fought so far have been just as dominated by glowing-weak-point syndrome or puzzle-boss-syndrome as those in DS1, but they've been so much more aggressive that I haven't gotten a breather to observe that fact in the heat of the moment, which somehow makes it not really come across as a flaw.

scitek

george_us said:
Hmmmm Chapter 10 is kind of weak compared to the other amazing chapters.
Going back to the Ishimura
is pretty lame.

NO! I fucking loved that chapter!
It was the only creepy part of the game for me because I'm so familiar with that ship.

Is Hardcore one-hit death? I'm seriously nervous about even starting a game because I died a good bit on Survivalist and there aren't even any checkpoints. Dying in the first hour would fucking suck, having to sit through the cutscenes and shit.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Definitely more substance story-wise but less ZOMFG!

Hm, sounds good to me.

One part that was both unexpected and hilarious
is when the sun drops down in front of you backstage,
just seriously damn this game has so many memorable moments.

brandonh83 said:
Hm, sounds good to me.

One part that was both unexpected and hilarious
is when the sun drops down in front of you backstage,
just seriously damn this game has so many memorable moments.

It was brilliant. Visceral is really onto something here, and EA is really onto something with Visceral.

More Dead Space please.

scitek

burgerdog said:
I was skeptical at first, but after having played it I enjoyed RE4 Wii quite a bit. Even if it made the game a little too easy.

Get the PC version and play it with mouse and keyboard?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Chapter 10 has been so great. But dammit Visceral are ASSHOLES,
using that decontamination room right after the medical bay...that place was notorious for getting swarmed with enemies, you hear all kinds of shit but nothing came out.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Beat it. I don't even like this genre and this is now up there with AC:Brotherhood for some of the most fun I've had playing a game in a good while. The game just never let up. And chapter 10 was the fucking worst, man.
I expected a necro after every turn. I was freaked out

Took me a bit to get it finished, but I felt it was a good length for this sort of game. I wasn't a huge fan of the first one, but this one was so good. The last few chapters were rough. Tricked out the plasma cutter, rig, and stasis. Stasis saved my ass a plenty on the last crazy parts.

Those
Necros that peeked around corners messed me up. The first time they showed up at the church, I straight up ran to a corner and didn't move an inch. When he yelled "Not now!" I got all pumped up and was like "fuck ya" but still was too creeped out to move.

game is a huge letdown, just a plain bad game.

it's graphics are nicer, the sound is improved, and mechanically it plays faster and you have nice shortcuts to keep you out of menus.

but the ridiculously bad combat and go go go super linear design kill it completely. every combat scenario is the same thing: run into the room, enemies pop out of the vents, run at a ridiculously fast speed to your feet, so you cast stasis while shooting the enemies in your face until they are dead, and repeat for the long trail of enemies that follows behind.

who needs a map when the game is GO GO GO super linear action with one clear direction the entire time? every so often you will get stopped by a jump pod that is in a dark shadow next to the door causing you to explode (shudders).

and where the fuck are the bosses? why can't we have a game with more then one fucking boss?

don't even get me started on the gymnasium scene. (WTF)

the first dead space is ultimately way better then this game. even if dead space 2 was the first game, i probably wouldn't have liked it so much. maybe i'm just really bored of every game having tons of "woahments".

Irish

quinntendopower said:

Hey, you make some pretty good points about the linearity and lack of bosses (I'd even thrown in the repeated situations with the mines and raptors), but your other statements and the way you present them all are absolutely idiotic.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
quinntendopower said:

it's graphics are nicer, the sound is improved, and mechanically it plays faster and you have nice shortcuts to keep you out of menus.

but the ridiculously bad combat and go go go super linear design kill it completely. every combat scenario is the same thing: run into the room, enemies pop out of the vents, run at a ridiculously fast speed to your feet, so you cast stasis while shooting the enemies in your face until they are dead, and repeat for the long trail of enemies that follows behind.

who needs a map when the game is GO GO GO super linear action with one clear direction the entire time? every so often you will get stopped by a jump pod that is in a dark shadow next to the door causing you to explode (shudders).

and where the fuck are the bosses? why can't we have a game with more then one fucking boss?

the first dead space is ultimately way better then this game. even if dead space 2 was the first game, i probably wouldn't have liked it so much. maybe i'm just really bored of every game having tons of "woahments".

I know, man. That awful combat with enemies sprinting up to you, requiring dismembering and shit? What were they thinking? I can't believe they changed the turn based DS1 combat to this.

Oh wait, it's the SAME. They just made kinesis much more effective and added a few cool enemy types. There's so many different weapon combination that it's stupid to complain about playing it the same, if you're getting bored then switch it up. Instead of stasis, use the contact beam alt fire to knock them back, then pull out the javelin and stick them to the floor. Drop the plasma cutter entirely and go for situational effectiveness, etc.

Tacitus_

quinntendopower said:

No.. just no.

You mean the same combat from DS1 where the you're given actual incentives to use stasis and kineses + new weapons.

You mean the same design from DS1 with less "Isaac go there and do this for me"?

Granted, but there were plenty of minibosses.

Actually, do get started. It was great.

O rly

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Not to sound like a total tool ...BUT... reviewers were right when they said that the jump from DS1 to DS2 is that of UC1 to UC2. I mean subjectively people can enjoy let's say the story or maybe the premise of the predecessors more, however objectively the successors take it to another level.

So you can't genuinely say that the visuals, sounddesign, gameplay, features, enemies, weapons etc etc of the 2nd game isn't better than the 1st. Which again only leaves like the story or whatever's left. Hey, not that I'm saying everybody has to love dead space 2, but if you played the first one and loved it you'll thoroughly enjoy the second one.

RedSwirl

RedSwirl said:
What's the difficulty compared to Dead Space? I found hard mode in that game too easy so is Survivalist in DS2 a good start?

Anybody else got an opinion on this? I only died a handful of times in hard on DS1 and that was only because I deliberately tried to play the game in an alternative way.

sam27368

Banned
Just finished DS1, I really want to play the second. But do I play it now (11am) for a couple hours before my late shift. Or wait until tomorrow night when it'll be twice as atmospheric. CHOICES!!

Corky

RedSwirl said:
Anybody else got an opinion on this? I only died a handful of times in hard on DS1 and that was only because I deliberately tried to play the game in an alternative way.

well here's what I think, normal is pretty easy the first like 70% of the game, but the latter part of the game really bumps up the difficulty.

Then again you can always switch difficulty on the fly ( I love devs to give us this option ) so I say start with survivalist and if it's too easy/hard then adjust accordingly :)

Barrett2

Debating whether I should pick this up. I really liked the first, but these kinds of horror / jump scare games make me very tense.

Corky

lawblob said:
Debating whether I should pick this up. I really liked the first, but these kinds of horror / jump scare games make me very tense.

I also feel the same way, but unlike many other survival horror games there is a certain hint of skill-based survival in dead space ( that is aim and stuff like that matters ), unlike games that have tank-controls and only a metalrod as a weapon.

Pick it up son, pick that shit uuup

Barrett2

Corky said:
I also feel the same way, but unlike many other survival horror games there is a certain hint of skill-based survival in dead space ( that is aim and stuff like that matters ), unlike games that have tank-controls and only a metalrod as a weapon.

Pick it up son, pick that shit uuup
Yeah, I think I will. Reading more impressions, people seem to really like it. Plus, i'm guessing the visuals will look awesome on my new TV. :)

There's no glaring graphical differences between console versions, right?

Numpt3

sam27368 said:
Just finished DS1, I really want to play the second. But do I play it now (11am) for a couple hours before my late shift. Or wait until tomorrow night when it'll be twice as atmospheric. CHOICES!!

Save it for tommorow! I'm picking it up today but have to work the next few nights so I shall be saving it until Tuesday night when I'm off. I remember playing DS1 over a few nights in total darkness and it scared the crap out of me.. lol.

Corky

lawblob said:
Yeah, I think I will. Reading more impressions, people seem to really like it. Plus, i'm guessing the visuals will look awesome on my new TV. :)

There's no glaring graphical differences between console versions, right?

I'm on the pc but I've heard dead space 2 is one of those rare games that seem to be identical ( visually ) on both systems.

However, just guessing , I'd reckon the ps3version has better sound if you have a soundsystem capable of taking advantage of it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
lawblob said:

Was right there with you, man. The first one was a chore to get through as I'm not a fan of being so tense throughout games. Dead Space 2 did it much better, I thought. Still tons of moments that left me tensed up, but the overall quality of each scenario just made it all the more exciting.

I also absolutely adored the art style (all of the rigs look so awesome) which was a massive plus for me.

dak1dsk1

Banned
I haven't used my PS3 in months! I'm stunned how amazing DS2 looks on PS3. I thought PS3 always got the worse port, but they proved me wrong this time. The framerate and smoothness is just insane.

Feindflug

dak1dsk1 said:
I haven't used my PS3 in months! I'm stunned how amazing DS2 looks on PS3. I thought PS3 always got the worse port, but they proved me wrong this time. The framerate and smoothness is just insane.

Visceral did an excellent job on this one - DF analysis stated both versions look and run identical, the game looks amazing with the only drawback the lack of AA.

Weird though that the 360 version is almost the same size as the PS3 version when the PS3 version has Extraction (which is 3.46GB) and 5.1LPCM, 7.1LPCM on the disc...

JohngPR

Square Triangle said:
Whelp I went to give DS Extraction a first go and it glitched on me. The very beginning
after killing Egan and going into the room with the wild live electrical wires swinging around. I killed the two bastards and then the camera just locked up and wouldn't let me do a damn thing.
I jumped on YouTube figuring I was missing something but nope. I have no motivation to go back to it now. ><

You should do it. You can get there in 20 minutes tops. Don't let 20 minutes of backtracking ruin a fun experience for you! ;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played a bit of New Game + from my recent replay of Dead Space 1 (which was a fresh save) and goddamn the game still feels wonderful to play. This series is easily right up there with Mass Effect as my favs from this gen. I think I am going to bounce back and forth by chapter between DS1/2 replays. I fucking love the gameplay so much.

Kazzy

Bought the game yesterday but just got started on it about an hour ago, decided to jump in at Zealot difficulty.

How hard is it compared to Hardcore on the original? There I only had troubles with the regenerator in the small room, everything else was manageable as long as you could manage your items properly.

Zeliard

Oh man the game controls beautifully on PC now. The mouse control is absolutely fixed - you can line up pin-point shots with regularity now. Dead Space is a slow-paced game but great input control might be even more meaningful there than in most other shooters since you're trying to line up specific dismemberment shots in a variety of ways, instead of just shooting at the body or even the head. Plus, there are often times where I find myself having to make a quick 180 degree turn, and mouse lag frustrates that as well.

The enemy encounters are also much improved this time around, with DS2 throwing a wider variety at you and also giving you more to tackle in general in each given scenario. Combined with kinesis being far, far more useful this time around (it was so useless in DS1 that I find myself forgetting to use it here), the tactical element is upped tremendously. I'm playing on Survivalist and the game doesn't throw much ammo or health at you, so it encourages you to be experimental in finding other ways to destroy enemies.

Also, the higher difficulties are definitely the way to go. I randomly watched a bit of the GB Quick Look on this game and when they faced that first boss with the two large walking limbs, Brad cut the limbs off very quickly and it took all tension out of that fight (he was presumably playing on Normal). My experience in Survivalist with that boss was mostly running the hell away from him - when you stop and turn he likes to leap right to your face. It took a while to get that guy down - I had him limping on one leg for a time before knocking that one off, and he was still quick and dangerous. If you play on Normal it only takes a few plasma cutter shots to remove each limb, and he also seems less aggressive, so you get a much shorter and much less interesting fight.

Wiggum2007

Zeliard said:
Also, the higher difficulties are definitely the way to go. I randomly watched a bit of the GB Quick Look on this game and when they faced that first boss with the two large walking limbs, Brad cut the limbs off very quickly and it took all tension out of that fight (he was presumably playing on Normal). My experience in Survivalist with that boss was mostly running the hell away from him - when you stop and turn he likes to leap right to your face. It took a while to get that guy down - I had him limping on one leg for a time before knocking that one off, and he was still quick and dangerous. If you play on Normal it only takes a few plasma cutter shots to remove each limb, and he also seems less aggressive, so you get a much shorter and much less interesting fight.

Holy crap yes! I'm playing on Survivalist and I was completely out of ammo and health by the end of that fight.

Need help with chapter 13
The Eye poking thing.... Godamnit, Isaac STOP MOVING. I'm having all the trouble in the world aiming the damn thing correctly. Any Tips? I'm going slowly, whenever I think I got it, he suddenly moves away. Need help.

Nemesis_

So I just finished the area of the game that was also featured in the demo.

That's Chapter 5, for those not aware.

For those who have experienced both, can you just remind me: -

Did they actually show Daina being a Unitologist in the demo, or did they somehow remove it just to keep the plot twist under wraps??

Also, playing below Zealot would be REALLY boring for me. This way is perfect, ammo is pretty scarce and I'm encouraged to use my melee skills much more. I love it, reminds me of the old school survival horror days.

Spookie

Nemesis556 said:
So I just finished the area of the game that was also featured in the demo.

That's Chapter 5, for those not aware.

For those who have experienced both, can you just remind me: -

Did they actually show Daina being a Unitologist in the demo, or did they somehow remove it just to keep the plot twist under wraps??

It was kept under wraps.

WONDERFUL. Just completed a chapter, I go to save and the save system is bugged out. Incompetent bastards.

Top Bottom