• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Finished it up last night. Really liked it, I even liked the last few levels that some of you are saying were a bit lackluster. Totally not expecting the final fight like that though, I thought it looked really awesome.

My favorite part of the ending, was *Spoiler*
Issac hesitates and looks over at the passenger chair. Ellie: "What?"

That part really made the ending for me, there was just no other way to finish up the game.

X26

Banned
quinntendopower said:
the combat isn't really like the first game. there isn't any balance anymore. enemies are too fast and they didn't compensate isaac into that equation.

the first time you could make decisions and move from room to room, enemies would use the vents to chase you, building some suspense as to "where the fuck did he go!?".

now you run halfway into the room, hear the vents explode and it's doom 3 all over again. just about every single encounter is just waves and waves of enemies that appear and move so quickly you don't have time or the speed to move anywhere else, or even need to for that matter because you can just pick up the ammo from the bodies that are racking up at your feet.

why not slow things down a bit and let you fight enemies with a brute? the brutes end up being a total stasis time warp and it doesn't even have a chance. instead of being creative with the combat scenarios they just pile on enemy after enemy. the only fights i enjoyed were the ostrich guys who stick their heads out, those enemies are awesome!

dead space has SO much potential, i am just annoyed we end up with a dumbed down version of a game packed with tons of cheap thrills and a tacked on throw away multiplayer. time to play RE4 again.

I think this is the dumbest post in this thread

Zeliard said:
Beautifully. Mouse lag is gone, though you're going to want to disable in-game vysnc and force it and triple buffering outside of the game, much like with the first.

This is the only time I've ever actually lamented not having an ATI card, for MLAA. The in-game AA option is laughable and it probably looks absurd with some decent level of AA going. Game is still gorgeous, though, and runs beautifully (steady 60 for me). I can't complain since I'm still on an 8800GTX! Truly milking that card for all it's worth.

Just started it and WHAT THE SHIT AT THIS PERFORMANCE.

Absolutely atrocious on my end - even worse than Black Ops. And there is this weird corruption along the outlines of all the characters.

Nevermind, Catalyst AI being crazy..

knitoe

Lakitu said:
Holy shit, these
credits
take forever. I'm waiting to see if
there's a secret ending scene
You can push down on stick to make it move much faster.

And for people that have finish the game,
Can you kill the monster that regenerates? It was ignoring having him follow me all the way to the final boss encounter before disappearing

knitoe said:
You can push down on stick to make it move much faster.

And for people that have finish the game,
Can you kill the monster that regenerates? It was ignoring having him follow me all the way to the final boss encounter before disappearing
No.
I think the best you can do is trap him in some room

Patryn

ToyMachine228 said:
My biggest complaint so far (I'm on Chapter 10) is how often the game puts you in crappy combat scenarios. Being attacked from both sides, having enemies drop down literally right on top of you, etc. Where there is no "right" way to go about the battle. You just have to spin and shoot as fast as you can, throw in some kinesis, and hope you make your shots. It's pretty frustrating. It's not causing me to die a lot per se, but I hate taking damage that I can't really prevent.

This is why god invented the Ripper.

Find a wall, shoot it out, watch everything die as it gets close to you.

Pretty much the only things you have to watch out for at that point are explosive enemies (just aim the blade carefully) or acid spit (just juke side to side). If things get crazy throw out stasis.

Once you get comfortable with the Ripper, you never have to worry about ammo pretty much ever again. It's one shot/one kill, with you often able to kill two to three enemies with a single blade.

You know those enemies that drop down in front of you? Half the time they'd already be dead because of the Ripper before I realized what had happened.

Hell, it made that entire last section a joke, because I just ran with the ripper out aimed a little low and cut literally everything to pieces.

To give you an idea of how useful the sucker could be, at the end of the game I had:

1500+ Pulse Rifle ammo
400+ Plasma Cutter Shots
300+ Line Rack shots
90+ Ripper blades
40+ stasis rechargers
6 Large med kits
13 Medium med kits
17 small med kits
Plus over 100,000 credits

Now, admittedly, I was playing on normal, so you get more ammo + health, but I have a feeling that I'd still be fairly comfortable.

It also takes a little skill simply because you have to be so close to the enemies, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes godly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I'm not low on ammo or anything, I just found this one part in Ch 6 really difficult. I'm moving along now though, no real problems since other than one room in ch 7 where I didn't know what to do.

knitoe

Beelzeboss said:
No.
I think the best you can do is trap him in some room
That's dumb.
You could kill it in the first game, and trapping it wasn't working for me, thing kept on re-appearing in next area / room. Great game until that point.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
knitoe said:
That's dumb.
You could kill it in the first game, and trapping it wasn't working for me, thing kept on re-appearing in next area / room. Great game until that point.

that was one of the most memorable moments in the first game so I was hoping for something similar in the similar situation in DS2, but alas I was dissapoínted :(

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:
Again, that was just one example of what I was referring to. Tension essentially is a form of psychological terror - the anticipation and fear of something appearing.

Tension isn't necessarily a form of psychological horror - the latter simply includes tension as one of its elements. I also draw a distinction between basic tension and terror - tension describes more a general level of stress, while terror is a level of fear and apprehension. Many games and films and such far outside of the horror genre have plenty of tension, i.e. thrillers or mysteries, but they aren't particularly scary and can't be described as psychological horror/terror.

Tension evoked from jump scares, ultimately, is about as mild and ineffective as you can get. It's certainly not something I'd ever describe as psychological anything. It's the Paranormal Activity 2-style easy way out. If you want to evoke actual fear, you have to do more than jump scares, and Dead Space 1 barely even tried.

Revolutionary said:
I do believe the sound design, as we agreed on, is one of the more important parts of Dead Space's horror. My complaint is that in this game, the sound design is going for shock more than fear. I'm not saying DS1 didn't have it's own share of jump scares, but you can't sit there with a straight face and tell me DS2 didn't at least triple the amount.

I can't do that, because I'm still going through DS2. In fact, I'm still quite early, probably around chapter 5 or so, but what I can say is there have barely been any jump scares in those chapters at all (in fact, I can only even think of one, and it involved some blue computer screen suddenly lighting up). The sound design in DS2 so far isn't nearly as dependent on loud, sudden noises as in DS1, and there also isn't that shitty music letting you know exactly what is happening.

Dead Space 1 telegraphed its scares to such an extent that most players found it better to play with the music turned entirely off, and even that didn't do much to mitigate the predictability.

Revolutionary said:
See, I had the exact opposite experience with resources - scarce in DS1, plentiful in DS2. The fact that you can essentially grind the randomly-spawning enemies for their loot and then sell it to rack up resources completely negated the tension of only having a limited amount to work with in DS1 (IIRC, damn near all encounters were scripted). By the time I was done with my Survivalist run, I had at least 20 Medium Health Packs and 200 Plasma rounds (Plasma Cutter FTW).

Resources were everywhere in DS1, and you also constantly picked up ammo from other weapons, which you could sell and buy more ammo or whatnot (the latter is also the case this time around as well, but it's to a lesser extent). I never came close to running into ammo issues in the first game, while here so far I sometimes find myself low despite copious use of kinesis. I vary things up a lot more in DS2, while in the first game all I basically did was shoot, shoot, shoot. There was never any need for melee or kinesis because I always had more than enough ammo for every weapon and every encounter.

My experience could change as I go through the game, but so far, it does virtually everything better than Dead Space 1 (a game I loved).

Chapter 13
Isaac killing the power and letting the Necromorphs overrun the EarthGov troops was cold blooded. Also I just stood there the first time, thinking are they going to arrest me? No they are just going to shoot me.

Zeliard

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Just started it and WHAT THE SHIT AT THIS PERFORMANCE.

Absolutely atrocious on my end - even worse than Black Ops. And there is this weird corruption along the outlines of all the characters.

Nevermind, Catalyst AI being crazy..

rofl ATI

god i'm so jealous of MLAA support :(

ArjanN

Beelzeboss said:
The fact that most of the enemies return from Dead Space 1 makes the game less scary as well. What's the point in getting all tense when a Slasher jumps out of a vent? I know how to handle these things already.

If there is a Dead Space 3 we need more enemies like the stalker. Also more crazy people interacting with Necromorphs are always welcome. Those moments always ended up being the creepiest thing in Dead Space 2.

I thought the stalker enemies were pretty cool, however
after the first time it's pretty goofy that every time they appear there are those containers for them to run around, that made it pretty obvious their AI was only made to work in those specific areas and totally gave it away every time they were coming.

Overall I thought the game was a very good sequel and it tied into the first game more than I thought, they did a great job making Isaac an actual character, which was something I was a little worried about.

The game reminded me a lot of FEAR2 actually.

Zeliard

Dead ghost wife is hugely reminiscent of Alma, no doubt. But I think it works to better effect here since the scenes with her are just strange, and she helps a lot in making Isaac a more fleshed-out, tormented character.

I also really like the voice actor they got for Isaac. He sounds entirely like a regular ass dude, and that helps keep things more grounded when a bunch of crazy shit starts happening around him.

Alien 3 isn't a bad film per se... but it left a bad taste in my mouth, especially immediately after watching Aliens. It felt like it made the entirety of Aliens pointless. Just bleak for the sake of being bleak.

K' Dash

Guys I need help with the final boss, it cought me off guard and I got there without health packs and I can't deal with all these fuckers coming from everywhere, any tips?

Edit: never mind, just did it.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Just did the Arcade game and have started Dead Space 2, good stuff so far.

Oh and the Arcade game is awful. gave mutiplayer ago, but they really should of had a tutorial.

Just beat it, the actual ending was great but who ever thought up the last few 'boss' fights, fuck them. Fuck that person right up.

The
regenarator
part, while a nice throwback to DS1, just went on far too long. It smacks of GoW's Hades, because I cannot believe someone actually playtested that.

As for the actual final boss, just ugh. Actually I can't believe anybody tested any of that last chapter. A terrible end to an otherwise fantastic game.

Die Squirrel Die said:
Just beat it, the actual ending was great but who ever thought up the last few 'boss' fights, fuck them. Fuck that person right up.

The
regenarator
part, while a nice throwback to DS1, just went on far too long. It smacks of GoW's Hades, because I cannot believe someone actually playtested that.

As for the actual final boss, just ugh. Actually I can't believe anybody tested any of that last chapter. A terrible end to an otherwise fantastic game.

I thought the final boss was awesome.

conman

Die Squirrel Die said:
I swear that's an ending I must have played in at least a half a dozen other games. But, for me, DS2 jumped the shark well before that boss. Right about when
the "Bioshock twist" happens early on
marked the beginning of the end.

Am I meant to have sound over the credits? Just wondering, because I had a sound bug earlier in Chapter 11, where characters were animating but no VA was coming out.

ArjanN

K' Dash said:
Guys I need help with the final boss, it cought me off guard and I got there without health packs and I can't deal with all these fuckers coming from everywhere, any tips?

Edit: never mind, just did it.

In case someone else need help with this: since it's the end of the game you only need 1 or 2 guns, you can just sell the other guns for ammo and health packs.

Aklamarth said:
Weaker than the first :( . This survival horror ain't.

For me it was less scary than the first game but it has lots of small improvements in other areas.

It's action-horror in the style of RE4 or FEAR2, so if you want a 'pure' horror game you might be better off with something like Amnesia, but I enjoy both styles.

K' Dash

Die Squirrel Die said:
Am I meant to have sound over the credits? Just wondering, because I had a sound bug earlier in Chapter 11, where characters were animating but no VA was coming out.

Yes, there should be some music playing.

J2d

Really enjoyed this but I will probably end up liking the first one more overall. Biggest disappointment was the lack off bosses and too many waves of enemies at certain points.

brandonh83 said:
The Alien 3 director's cut is way better.
Not to be a stickler but it's the producers/assembly cut. Fincher wants absolutely nothing to do with the movie and he wanted nothing to do with it when that cut was put together for the Quadrilogy release on DVD.

I agree with the sentiment though that Alien 3 is a fine film and vastly underrated. It makes me wonder what type of film it could have been if Fincher was allowed the creative freedom to make the movie he wanted to make.

Mr codecow, mouse aim is the business, i love you (it was you who fixed it right ?), game feels boss with the mouse. 1 question i have if you can answer, say your higher ups allowed you to go back to DS1 and fix the mouse aim in that, would that be a large undertaking or relatively easy (disregarding any QA) ? Only asking because the game now feels so damn good with the mouse, it hurts not being able to play the original with such precision :(

Zeliard

ArjanN said:
For me it was less scary than the first game but it has lots of small improvements in other areas.

It's action-horror in the style of RE4 or FEAR2, so if you want a 'pure' horror game you might be better off with something like Amnesia, but I enjoy both styles.

I think the best way to describe Dead Space 2 is simply "thrilling" rather than truly scary. Making it out of an encounter with enemies by the skin of your teeth, low on both ammo and health, carries with it a sense of satisfaction and relief that out of games I've recently played is only equaled by Demon's Souls. Both games have a foreboding atmosphere but the majority of the tension comes from the gameplay.

DS2 also seems to do more than the first game to make Isaac feel close to death when he's low on health, with slow, labored movement and pained grunts and groans. The first game did that as well but it seems amplified here and it works wonderfully to make Isaac feel in a wretched state after a tough encounter. The animations and sound design are grand.

Play this one on the higher difficulties, guys.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Futurevoid said:
Not to be a stickler but it's the producers/assembly cut. Fincher wants absolutely nothing to do with the movie and he wanted nothing to do with it when that cut was put together for the Quadrilogy release on DVD.

I agree with the sentiment though that Alien 3 is a fine film and vastly underrated. It makes me wonder what type of film it could have been if Fincher was allowed the creative freedom to make the movie he wanted to make.

I like Alien 3 more than I like Benjamin Button...barely.

Zeliard

Now that Ridley Scott morphed his Alien prequel into something more original, I wouldn't mind seeing Fincher tackle the Alien franchise again. I don't think modern Fincher would bend to any studio pressure or even be subjected to it - he's gained too much clout over the years.

Zeliard said:
I wouldn't mind seeing Fincher tackle the Alien franchise again. I don't think modern Fincher would bend to any studio pressure or even be subjected to it - he's gained too much clout over the years.
Doubt he would ever come back to the franchise but stranger things have happened. You're correct though, Fox would bend over backwards to make sure he's happy if did come back to direct another Alien film. Even more so now with Fincher likely reaping more awards for The Social Network.

Chiggs said:
I like Alien 3 more than I like Benjamin Button...barely.
Benjamin Button has its charms but I'm also not a huge fan. Even still, it's an extremely well made films.

Having said that, films like Fight Club, Se7en (one of my all time favorite films), The Game, The Social Network, Zodiac and even more casual stuff like Panic Room are excellent films. I'm really eager to see what he does with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I'm a big fan of the original with Noomi Rapace.

Patryn

Die Squirrel Die said:

The
regenarator

For
the regenerator, just dismember and then stasis
. Should give you enough time to accomplish what you need to do to move to the next room. It doesn't follow you, only shows up when it's scripted to.

As long as you don't dilly-dally, you'll be fine.

hermit7

dreamer3kx said:
Chapter 9 is leaving me without meds or ammo, jeez, one part I had to go old school, kill a couple, run back to save.
Had to do that as well in that chapter. On chapter 10 now.
I loved the Ishimura and am excited to see how it plays out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Patryn said:
For
the regenerator, just dismember and then stasis
. Should give you enough time to accomplish what you need to do to move to the next room. It doesn't follow you, only shows up when it's scripted to.

As long as you don't dilly-dally, you'll be fine.
That's what I did and he wasn't too bad at all. I just had pretty much no health going into it and none dropped so which is why that part was dicey for me. He does follow you into other rooms outside of the scripting though if you're not fast enough.

UFRA

Anyone buy any of the add-on packs?

Do the suits add more inventory slots and armor?

I'm so tired of barely being able to carry enough ammo for all 4 of my guns. Seems like the Supernova pack has the most value with 3 suits and 9 weapons.

Can't find any decent pics of the suits though.

mrpeabody

These meat grinders in Chapter 13 are the worst. Tons of enemies, not enough room to move, they don't think twice about dropping them right on top of you, and the pukers don't make any noise so you can't tell when they're right behind you. And it's like six rooms in a row (so far, who knows how many there will be). And I'm out of ammo and even though I have shitloads of money I can't buy any more because I haven't seen a store in about an hour.

This section really feels like it came from another, less fun, game.

Tendo

I bought the Force Gun. Sold it in a pinch to get some Armor. Can't rebuy it. Crap.

Oh and eff the part in Chapter 9 with blowing up those nitrogen tanks. I keep dying. I can't hit those necromorph elbows for squat.

Square Triangle said:
Anyone know a good source for some nice PS3 backgrounds?

You could friend me and I can send you some. If interested check my profile for the PSN ID.

Same goes for anyone else. Could use some more people on my friends list.

Teknoman

Zeliard said:
Dead ghost wife is hugely reminiscent of Alma, no doubt. But I think it works to better effect here since the scenes with her are just strange, and she helps a lot in making Isaac a more fleshed-out, tormented character.

I also really like the voice actor they got for Isaac. He sounds entirely like a regular ass dude, and that helps keep things more grounded when a bunch of crazy shit starts happening around him.

My thoughts exactly. The pure strangeness of the scenes is what gets to me
Like the second one, where she's just staring at you with blue light coming out of her mouth/eyes...silent
then bam, nothing.

Top Bottom