• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Luken said:
Spoilers !

I have a question, why Isaac eye appears to be intact in the end? See image link below.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/Luken51/DeadSpace2Isaacreye.jpg
Huh? The needle was just a probe to peer into Isaac's thoughts/soul to activate something in the marker. I'm assuming it was a very fine needle, and the intent was never to remove or damage his eye beyond repair. I believe it was stated just before he went into the probe that he remembered doing this before. Now if the needle was replaced by a screw driver (poor Ellie :S ), then.. yeah.

bigdaddygamebot said:
Visceral just isn't that sloppy with Dead Space.
Actually, Redwood Shores isn't. Visceral, the makers of such gems (lol) as Dante's Inferno, however, is.

There was one scenario in particular towards the end of the game where I experienced what the other poster is saying: an enemy spawning behind you with NO WARNING WHATSOEVER. It's super cheap, and it's far from the only cheap tactic the game employs to catch you off guard instead of genuinely challenging you and your wits.

Anyway, I've gone this over with another poster who was arguing with me earlier ... but s/he didn't even finish Dead Space 2 yet to make a valid counterpoint (lol...? why anyone would vehemently defend a game they haven't even finished is beyond me - oh wait, This is NeoGAF). So uh, yeah.. not going to repeat myself, see my earlier posts for more.

Nemesis_

Revolutionary said:
Actually, Redwood Shores isn't. Visceral, the makers of such gems (lol) as Dante's Inferno, however, is.

There was one scenario in particular towards the end of the game where I experienced what the other poster is saying: an enemy spawning behind you with NO WARNING WHATSOEVER. It's super cheap, and it's far from the only cheap tactic the game employs to catch you off guard instead of genuinely challenging you and your wits.

Anyway, I've gone this over with another poster who was arguing with me earlier ... but s/he didn't even finish Dead Space 2 yet to make a valid counterpoint (lol...? why anyone would vehemently defend a game they haven't even finished is beyond me - oh wait, This is NeoGAF). So uh, yeah.. not going to repeat myself, see my earlier posts for more.

Are you aware Redwood Shores ARE Visceral? The only changes to the team have been Glen Schofield, who left to start up Sledgehammer as far as I'm aware. =/

kiun

quick question guys, I read that the PS3 version supports 7.1 uncompressed audio. I am however not getting any sound on my back channel, my hdmi receiver says PCM. Is there any option I need to turn on to get the full 7.1 audio ?

Nemesis556 said:
Are you aware Redwood Shores ARE Visceral? The only changes to the team have been Glen Schofield, who left to start up Sledgehammer as far as I'm aware. =/
Wow I had no idea! Tell me more! (that'sthejoke.jpg)

..I'm pretty sure that's not the only change to the team since it's days of Redwood Shores, by the way. If Dante's Inferno wasn't a big enough hint that these aren't the same exact guys that made DS1, DS2 should be a punch in the face wake-up call that it isn't (I.E. no originality, etc.).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what's with the aggression. calm down, take a seat. we can talk this through.

DSc

Revolutionary said:

..I'm pretty sure that's not the only change to the team since it's days of Redwood Shores, by the way. If Dante's Inferno wasn't a big enough hint that these aren't the same exact guys that made DS1, DS2 should be a punch in the face wake-up call that it isn't (I.E. no originality, etc.).

I imagine it'll be multiple teams within the studio developing different franchises, just like two different teams within BioWare developing Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Remember, Redwood also did The Godfather II...

DSc said:
I imagine it'll be multiple teams within the studio developing different franchises, just like two different teams within BioWare developing Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Remember, Redwood also did The Godfather II...
Wow, did they really? Even more proof of their downfall!

Really though, I'm just being an ass. :lol I loved the game for what it was, but overall I felt it focused less on fear and more on shock, which is disappointing. Gameplay-wise, it was pretty fantastic. I'm having a hard time deciding whether I prefer the first or the second, but I feel like either way is a good decision.

Kudos, Visceral. Just... please... be more subtle with the horror next time. Team Silent, where are youuuuu

guise

Steam question: does the game use the steam cloud for game saves?

I've been playing round my mates place and i dont want to lose my progress when i pick it up on my own machine. Do i need to worry about transferring save game files?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Chapter 4/5/6-ish spoilers:

I've been thinking back to my favourite moments in the game and remembered the Unitology church. Looking at the demo thread it gathered some split opinions, so has playing it in its proper order and scripting changed anyone's opinion?

Being an whiner and armchair critic of Scientology it's chilling how close the doctrine, advertising and text logs are to the real thing. Replacing "Altman" with "Hubbard" made it all so much scarier for me (and "convergence" with "clear"). Plus the purples and blues were pretty and the background synths along the visitor tour creeped me out.

Combine that with the Tormentor and it's my favourite zone in the game!

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:

The point I was making didn't require me having finished the entire game, but given our discussion, I can see how you would be confused by simple things.

epmode

guise said:
Steam question: does the game use the steam cloud for game saves?
It's an EA game, so no.

The save files are probably somewhere in your Documents folder.
Dead Space 1 is in <Windows drive>/Users/<username>/My Documents/Electronic Arts/Dead Space

Songbird

Prodigal Son
MarshMellow96 said:
I've just finished Dead Space on hard - survivalist or zealot?
It depends. Are you feeling lucky?

I finished my first run on Zealot but lost the trophy because I had to turn the difficulty down a few times. My personal rule was to turn it down after 8 or more consecutive deaths. Hope this helps, you can change it by pausing.

Thnikkaman said:
It depends. Are you feeling lucky?

I finished my first run on Zealot but lost the trophy because I had to turn the difficulty down a few times. My personal rule was to turn it down after 8 or more consecutive deaths. Hope this helps, you can change it by pausing.

The difficulty level was probably what made DS for me, I think I'll go with Zealot.

bigdaddygamebot said:
This is funny. You're funny
and wrong in your misunderstanding of this concept of the game and how the combat is planned out.

He's not wrong, I agree with him and there are definitely others who do as well. I understand shooting for the feeling of being overrun during combat. That feeling of paranoia. The problem is that the way many of the necromorphs act and make around, it ends up causing "cheap" combat scenarios where enemies fall down right on top of you for example and knock you down. And since there's a long drawn out animation, you fall behind and you end up with enemies all over the place six inches in front of you in every direction and there's no real intelligent way to deal with it. Stasis as much as you can and run away to regroup or something like that, but the issue shouldn't arrise in the first place.

Zeliard

Luken said:
Thanks for replying. And I kind of agree about everything you wrote. :D

That is what I'm saying, I don't like to die in the game. You're concentrated in aiming your gun at the necromorphs limbs that is in front of you. that it is already too late when you find out there is a necromorph behind you, when you have just a little health bar left and it kills you from behind with one strike. So I died many times from this moments, the game kills you by surprise from behind so we can get it right in the second attempt.

I've made it a habit in Dead Space 2 that when a bunch of enemies appear, one of the first things I do is run, if I can. I run to a section of the room where I have some room to breath and sort of assess the situation. If you don't move during the start of an enemy encounter and concentrate on the enemy in front of you, which is something tough to combat since it's so reactionary, that's when you're most susceptible to getting hit from the sides or behind.

The force gun was so wonderful in the first game for getting out of sticky situations. Fuck the plasma cutter, the upgraded FG was easily my favorite and most-used weapon in DS1, and it probably will be in DS2 as well. Have to mess with the new alt fire some more.

Now that mouse control works nicely, thank the lord, it's facilitating a lot of things in combat and I'm experimenting with tactics more as a result. I can involve lots of quick 180 degrees turns and such, which keeps me from getting hounded by enemies. There's nothing quite like hitting a Necromorph with stasis at the last second after he's leaped to your face, when he's like a foot away from it. And then melee'ing the shit out of him.

Zeliard said:
Christ you're slow. The point I was making didn't require me having finished the entire game, but given our discussion, I can see how you would be confused by simple things.
Are you referring to your point that "tension isn't necessarily a form of psychological horror"? Fine, you're right. I picked a bad example for what I was trying to say. My mistake. Regardless, what Dead Space 2 does in the field of psychological horror really isn't anything new than what was found in the first.

I, however, was referring to your other 'point' that Dead Space 2 is more frightening than Dead Space 1, despite the fact that you haven't finished the game (or even reached the midpoint) to actually form that conclusion. I understand if you're feeling that way so far- I may have felt that way too at times, but once you get to the end you realize how much of a farce it all really was. I'm not going to spoil anything for you because I'm not an asshole (although I see you feel that way - cute!), but in retrospect I'm sure that even you will see.* The game relies on shock more than fear, and the tension from having limited resources is all but gone if you're smart with it. Period.

* Highlight when you're done with the game:
Still think the game "racks up the psychological horror element significantly more than the first game"? Oh my god, was that a new nursery rhyme I heard being creepily sung in the background? What the fuck, Nicole is alive! Oh wait, she's dead, and I'm having hallucinations of her leading me through the game and to the marker... again. Only difference this time is that she has light eminating from her, and with super scaryyyyy (note: sarcasm) sounds in the background. Holy crap, the same jump scares (tentacle QTE, Tank arm through wall, etc.) from the first game in the Ishimura! Oh wait, I killed these things already - I.E. I'm not a fucking idiot. My point: it's the same shit, coupled with even more jump scares and jump scare QTE's than ever before. There's nothing really new in this game in the field we're discussing... unfortunately, and in the end the balance is more towards shock than fear.

Scarecrow

Have I missed getting the advanced engineer suit? I just got to chapter 8, and I've been using the hacker suit for most of the game. I found the security suit, but not the iconic Dead Space 2 suit yet.

Anyone know of any good Dead Space 2 story summaries online I can read? I just beat the game last night and I have a lot of questions. I enjoyed the game but I think Visceral dug themselves a lot of holes story and writing wise. I'll ask a few questions on here.

Who is "the voice" in the transmission after the credits? And what is their motivation for building all these Markers? I read that text file from the one guy (I forget his name) about using it for research because planet cracking is too "destructive". I'll be pretty upset is the motivation for all this is to find a new energy source and so Visceral can make some kind of commentary on environmentalists going too far or something.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
MarshMellow96 said:
The difficulty level was probably what made DS for me, I think I'll go with Zealot.
Zealot is fun because it forces you to play the way I think Visceral really want us to. Beware though, even with an advanced suit and nearly all health upgrades I still got one-shotted.

ToyMachine228 said:
Who is "the voice" in the transmission after the credits? And what is their motivation for building all these Markers? I read that text file from the one guy (I forget his name) about using it for research because planet cracking is too "destructive". I'll be pretty upset is the motivation for all this is to find a new energy source and so Visceral can make some kind of commentary on environmentalists going too far or something.
I think it's simpler than that.

If the voice belongs to a Unitologist, he wants to bring about Convergence. If it's EarthGov or another political group it is probably for research/weaponry. Standard sci-fi/Black Mesa villainy.

Mako_Drug

ToyMachine228 said:
He's not wrong, I agree with him and there are definitely others who do as well. I understand shooting for the feeling of being overrun during combat. That feeling of paranoia. The problem is that the way many of the necromorphs act and make around, it ends up causing "cheap" combat scenarios where enemies fall down right on top of you for example and knock you down. And since there's a long drawn out animation, you fall behind and you end up with enemies all over the place six inches in front of you in every direction and there's no real intelligent way to deal with it. Stasis as much as you can and run away to regroup or something like that, but the issue shouldn't arrise in the first place.

The force gun helped me out a lot in those kinds of situations.

Zeliard

Revolutionary said:
I, however, was referring to your other 'point' that Dead Space 2 is more frightening than Dead Space 1, despite the fact that you haven't finished the game (or even reached the midpoint) to actually form that conclusion. I understand if you're feeling that way so far- I may have felt that way too at times, but once you get to the end you realize how much of a farce it all really was. I'm not going to spoil anything for you because I'm not an asshole (although I see you feel that way - cute!), but in retrospect I'm sure that even you will see.* The game relies on shock more than fear, and the tension from having limited resources is all but gone if you're smart with it. Period.

I don't think I really need to have finished the game to comment on the horror elements, do I? I mean, the game (as every game) basically sets a template for the sorts of things it's attempting and will be doing throughout, and for them to introduce twists into that formula would basically change the atmosphere they've set. I've played several chapters since that last post and it hasn't changed.

You also seem to think I'm holding Dead Space 2 up as this paragon of psychological horror. Hardly. All I've been saying this entire time is purely relative to the first game. Where we differ is I don't think the first game barely even attempted much more than shock scares, while the second game at least attempts to do more (i.e. the dead ghost wife and the surreal hallucinations she brings about, and Isaac's resulting tormented mental state). Whether or not you think it succeeds with these new elements is one thing, but they weren't to be found in the first game.

One of the things that nudges Dead Space 2 a bit more into the psychological horror direction is that it's far more interested in the protagonist's psyche than the previous game, which virtually ignored it.

If we want to start comparing the Dead Space games to titles like Amnesia in the fear department, they fall far short, but I wasn't doing that. It's purely a DS1 <--> DS2 comparison. Though to be fair to the DS games, they have more working against them since you're playing such a high-powered character. In Amnesia you're completely helpless, though that also works against Amnesia in generating compelling gameplay (which it still does).

Patryn

ToyMachine228 said:
Anyone know of any good Dead Space 2 story summaries online I can read? I just beat the game last night and I have a lot of questions. I enjoyed the game but I think Visceral dug themselves a lot of holes story and writing wise. I'll ask a few questions on here.

There's a text log from a person known only as the Overseer telling the EarthGov guy that the consequences for ordering an evacuation will be "dire". I believe the voice was of that guy, someone who we haven't met before.

Probably, as the poster above me said, either a Unitologist or EarthGov official.

My big question still remains: Who originally made the markers?

ToyMachine228 said:

Hate to be a broken record, but: Ripper. They drop onto the spinning blade of death and it's like "Ooops! My legs were just chopped off! Wait, Oops there goes my head! Ooops, I'm dead! Now I'm giving up my item!" Me: "Wait, what just happened? Guess it's just another dead necro."

Maybe I played really crappy in the early parts of the game, and maybe it's because I played on Normal, but I found the last three chapters to be the easiest part of the game.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Patryn said:
Hate to be a broken record, but: Ripper. They drop onto the spinning blade of death and it's like "Ooops! My legs were just chopped off! Wait, Oops there goes my head! Ooops, I'm dead! Now I'm giving up my item!" Me: "Wait, what just happened? Guess it's just another dead necro."

Maybe I played really crappy in the early parts of the game, and maybe it's because I played on Normal, but I found the last three chapters to be the easiest part of the game.
The best thing about the Ripper is, if used correctly, how you can saw apart several necros with a single saw blade. That's one round of ammunition.

MarshMellow96 said:
I've just finished Dead Space on hard - survivalist or zealot?

Zealot is not joke at the end.

I had to get lucky a couple times with medium health pack drops in order to be able to get through the end.

BUT...I came in cold with NO weapon or armor upgrades. A new game + on zealot should be no problem.

Gattsu25

Banned
plagiarize said:
examine what's attacking you. using the pulse against the kids is great for farming health and ammo. any time they spit something had kinesis it right over and grab it. use kinesis to reload. upgrade the shit out of kinesis and whatever your favourite weapon is (i had my plasma cutter maxed out by about chapter nine).
Good post but how do you do this?

Kazzy

Zealot, just encountered a big group of Leapers in Chapter 6, had no statis and very little ammo, had to retry that sequence quite a few times.

First time it has happened but it was as hard because I was cut off from any stores until after I had cleared the room, couldn't buy any supplies for the fight. Hope I don't get caught like that again.

Patryn said:
There's a text log from a person known only as the Overseer telling the EarthGov guy that the consequences for ordering an evacuation will be "dire". I believe the voice was of that guy, someone who we haven't met before.

Probably, as the poster above me said, either a Unitologist or EarthGov official.

Wasn't the original Marker "alien" in origin? And the ones in Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were man made, based on the original alien one?

Patryn

Thnikkaman said:
The best thing about the Ripper is, if used correctly, how you can saw apart several necros with a single saw blade. That's one round of ammunition.

That's what makes the last chapters so easy. It pretty much removes the ammo issue, meaning you have plenty of other ammo for the few occasions in which you need to use something else
babies, zero-g thingies that throw the explosive spores, cysts

ToyMachine228 said:
Wasn't the original Marker "alien" in origin? And the ones in Dead Space and Dead Space 2 were man made, based on the original alien one?

Yes, they were. But who were these aliens? What happened to them? What are the markers' purpose? "Convergence" happens, and I know what Unitologists think convergence is, but what is it really? Is the endgame really making those regenerators?

Gattsu25 said:
Good post but how do you do this?

I assume he means to hang back and use kinesis to grab the ammo that is dropped by dead necros rather than rushing in the midst of enemies.

Zeliard

Watanabe Kazuma said:
Zealot, just encountered a big group of Leapers in Chapter 6, had no statis and very little ammo, had to retry that sequence quite a few times.

First time it has happened but it was as hard because I was cut off from any stores until after I had cleared the room, couldn't buy any supplies for the fight. Hope I don't get caught like that again.

Yeah, that's also what I love about this game. It harkens back to the old-school way of really needing to manage your resources or you can get fucked. Lots of people complained about Ninja Gaiden Black doing this as well, when they ran out of healing items at unfortunate spots in the game. (Not that I'm saying you're complaining, of course)

Patryn said:
Yes, they were. But who were these aliens? What happened to them? What are the markers' purpose? "Convergence" happens, and I know what Unitologists think convergence is, but what is it really? Is the endgame really making those regenerators?

I hear you, and I don't think we'll find out much about the alien race in Dead Space 3. We may find out their fate, and MAYBE their plan for why they built the markers but I don't expect it to be anything deep. My guess is they were all killed and turned into necromorphs, and my guess is they too built them as religious artifacts.

My fear is that the entire Dead Space storyline is basically going to go no where. You have all these questions, really cool presentation, really interesting possibilities but it's all going to boil down to something...Not so epic. The main focus of Dead Space 3's story may be on the Overseer, who is some top Unitologist or Government official, so we may find out why they're building all the markers, but how "epic" can their reasoning actually be? To find another resource besides planet cracking? For "convergence" a misguided religious tenet? I just don't see a satisfying conclusion no matter what direction they choose. I hope I'm wrong though.

venom2124

Patryn said:

My guess is that's what dead space 3 will cover. Isaac has already taken down two manufactured markers, it's about time Visceral unveils the original black marker.

Speaking of future dead space games, I would love to see large amounts of people going insane. I believe the first game mentioned the crew of the Ishimura went crazy and murdered each other before becoming necromorphs, correct? At least part of the next game should drop Isaac into the early stages of an outbreak. Imagine having to navigate through a mass of violent people, never knowing which will attack you. Hell, I want to see the first few areas of the game populated with rabidly insane humans and very few necromorphs. Would be a nice change of pace I think.

venom2124 said:
My guess is that's what dead space 3 will cover. Isaac has already taken down two manufactured markers, it's about time Visceral unveils the original black marker.

That could be interesting. My guess is that EarthGov will brand Isaac a terrorist for "destroying Titan station" and he'll be on the run for Dead Space 3.

Patryn

ToyMachine228 said:
I hear you, and I don't think we'll find out much about the alien race in Dead Space 3. We may find out their fate, and MAYBE their plan for why they built the markers but I don't expect it to be anything deep. My guess is they were all killed and turned into necromorphs, and my guess is they too built them as religious artifacts.

My fear is that the entire Dead Space storyline is basically going to go no where. You have all these questions, really cool presentation, really interesting possibilities but it's all going to boil down to something...Not so epic. The main focus of Dead Space 3's story may be on the Overseer, who is some top Unitologist or Government official, so we may find out why they're building all the markers, but how "epic" can their reasoning actually be? To find another resource besides planet cracking? For "convergence" a misguided religious tenet? I just don't see a satisfying conclusion no matter what direction they choose. I hope I'm wrong though.

Well there is hope in that one researchers' audio log that states that HUMANS aren't making the Marker, the MARKER is making the humans make IT. If they follow that plotline, then they'll have to deal with the origins of the Markers.

In that case, we may see something play out like this game where the Overseer = Daina and the the last half of the game is about the Markers' origins.

But I also have a feeling that Visceral may want those mysteries to stay mysteries. For the Markers to more be a force of nature a la Cthulu than an explainable thing.

But given that they showed something that was "Convergence" and they ALSO had that audio log about how the Marker was spitting out information that really smart people interpreted as advanced equations and drove dumber people mad, maybe they do intend to eventually explain.

codecow

Nemesis556 said:

We make more than one game. Dead Space 1 and 2 production overlapped with Dante's production, we did this by using different people.

The bulk of the original DS team was on Extraction or DS2 during completion of Dante's (except for those departing to other devs).

guise

epmode said:
It's an EA game, so no.

The save files are probably somewhere in your Documents folder.
Dead Space 1 is in <Windows drive>/Users/<username>/My Documents/Electronic Arts/Dead Space

Thanks man, ill take a look

scitek

Revolutionary said:

Are you calling Dead Space original?

Zeliard

RickA238 said:
Does anyone know where the config file is for the PC version? I'm to FPS clamp to 60, and flip the right/left mouse buttons.

For FPS, if you force vsync out of the game, it'll cap at 60. If you set the in-game vsync, I believe it caps it at 30. Didn't bother even trying, since the in-game vsync was screwy in the first game as well.

config is at: Users\<username>\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 2

It's in a different spot than the saved games.

hteng

Banned
MoxManiac said:
You guys are making me want to buy the ripper now.

Crowd control / splash weapons are pretty much a requirement in the final 3 chapters or you'll be wasting tons of money buying ammo. The ripper does good crowd control at a cheap price.
im serious, the fucking monsters zerg rush you at close quarters for pretty much every encounter and 50% of the time it's on fucking small rooms. m so glad i had it with me during the last boss.

to make things worse the
regenerator
makes you waste even more ammo.

hteng said:
Crowd control / splash weapons are pretty much a requirement in the final 3 chapters or you'll be wasting tons of money buying ammo. The ripper does good crowd control at a cheap price.
im serious, the fucking monsters zerg rush you at close quarters for pretty much every encounter and 50% of the time it's on fucking small rooms. m so glad i had it with me during the last boss.

Yeah that's when the combat bothered me most. I'm the type that uses the Plasma Cutter at all times as long as I have ammo for it. I didn't buy any of the other weapons aside from the Javelin Gun, Pulse Rifle, Flamethrower (Which is useless) and Contact Beam (Which I only fired once). I'll have to get into some of the other weapons in my New Game+.

Zeliard

Rickard said:
So, aside from the limited saves, how much more difficult is hard core than zealot?

I read that Hardcore actually scales with Survivalist rather than Zealot, though I'm not positive about that.

Also, just took a glance at the DS2 cfg.

Control.AimAssistEnabled = true

Wtf. I hope that's some console residual that doesn't actually have an effect with kb/m. Either way, it's going false.

RickA238

Zeliard said:
For FPS, if you force vsync out of the game, it'll cap at 60. If you set the in-game vsync, I believe it caps it at 30. Didn't bother even trying, since the in-game vsync was screwy in the first game as well.

config is at: Users\<username>\AppData\Local\EA Games\Dead Space 2

It's in a different spot than the saved games.

Thanks man, yeah I noticed that about the in-game Vsync too; it's total crap.

Top Bottom