• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Baloonatic said:
Yeah. Pretty sure they announced that lovely bit of information the day the game came out as well.

At the moment I just want the unlocks to work on the PC version. Can't get the Elite Suits or the weapon for beating Hardcore at the moment as they, erm, forgot to put them in or something.

Seems like EA is bitter about losing middle man money to STEAM.

Dammit. I may have to dust my 360 and double dip down the road on my PC when it hits sub 10 bucks.

But man, to play DS2 in higher rez with a better framerate. Crap.... :(

The_Inquisitor said:
Dammit. I may have to dust my 360 and double dip down the road on my PC when it hits sub 10 bucks.

But man, to play DS2 in higher rez with a better framerate. Crap.... :(

Yeah it sucks. I actually have the PS3 version as well and I can honestly say that the difference in visuals is significant. Game looks downright stunning at times on the PC, especially with the great lighting they have going on.

And unlike the first game, keyboard and mouse controls are fantastic.

stupei

luxarific said:
Spoilers for Aftermath (the second animation):
I think the "him" Stross is talking about is his infant son (whom he murdered under influence of the marker, as he did his wife). You'll note that he uses two pronouns, when talking about the steps, first "him", and then "her". The "him" refers to his son. The "her" refers to his wife. I think the marker makes you see whomever you feel most guilty about/or those you love the most, for Issac it was Nicole, for Stross it was his family.
In any case, they really should have made Aftermath the pack in instead of the plastic gun for the Collector's Edition, since I think a lot of buyers of that edition are probably interested in the story and Stross becomes much more understandable (but not entirely) in the game if you've seen the movie first.

This is definitely what Stross is referring to.
When he talks directly to the "him," he even uses a very sweet, almost coaxing voice that one would associate with a child and Isaac is fast to tell Stross that "he's not there" because Isaac realizes that, like him, Stross is seeing a dead loved one that's manipulating his actions. Presumably the thing that they want him to see and to face is the role he played in their death, which he doesn't even fully acknowledge took place. It's the same "acceptance" step that Isaac has to undergo with Nicole a few moments after Stross' death.

Baloonatic said:
Yeah it sucks. I actually have the PS3 version as well and I can honestly say that the difference in visuals is significant. Game looks downright stunning at times on the PC, especially with the great lighting they have going on.

Ugh you ass. Man, should have fired on the first when it was on sale on steam. Played/sold the original on 360 what seems like forever ago.

Chapter 6 when you first meet ellie and she's shooting the necros behind the barrier-gates in the shopping mall. . . she's all "c'mon, u wanna piece of me" etc. thought it came across as funny cos she sounds so "uninterested" like the voice actress can't be bothered tbh/ lol.

luxarific said:
I think the "him" Stross is talking about is his infant son (whom he murdered under influence of the marker, as he did his wife). You'll note that he uses two pronouns, when talking about the steps, first "him", and then "her". The "him" refers to his son. The "her" refers to his wife. I think the marker makes you see whomever you feel most guilty about/or those you love the most, for Issac it was Nicole, for Stross it was his family. In any case, they really should have made Aftermath the pack in instead of the plastic gun for the Collector's Edition, since I think a lot of buyers of that edition are probably interested in the story and Stross becomes much more understandable (but not entirely) in the game if you've seen the movie first.
Yes the "Kids gone Crazy" log says the kids started to have imaginary friends. . . deceased grandmother etc.

enewtabie

Started Chapter 9 with 1 bar of health 2 shots on the force gun and some pulse rounds. Definitely not fun at that point. I had to stop playing because I died like 15 times.The enemies are coming out of the woodwork.

JRW

Baloonatic said:

I can't tell much of a difference visually with PC vs. 360 version other than PC having AA and 60fps (Which is actually pretty nice) but I haven't noticed any differences in lighting techniques etc.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just installed my pc copy, I'm up to chapter 6 and I honestly can't believe how great the optimization is.
Seems impossible (since other than Capcom's Framework games, not many other do) but with my i5 750 and HD5850 (1GB) it runs in full HD, with AA, everything at max and it's locked at 60fps!
Woah, finally another well optimized pc/console game, it's been a while :)

Edit:
JRW said:
I can't tell much of a difference visually with PC vs. 360 version other than PC having AA and 60fps (Which is actually pretty nice) but I haven't noticed any differences in lighting techniques etc.

You can't tell the difference between a 720p aliased game running at 30fps and the same game at 1080p with anti-aliasing and running @60 fps? I kinda envy you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yay! Finished! Pros and cons time!

BROS:

- Same great Dead Space formula and style with same great Dead Space gameplay. It stays very close to the original gameplay, playing it safe, but thats okay as Dead Space was good fun and thus this is too. Might as well call it Resident Evil 6, and I mean that in a good way.

- HUGE improvement of Zero G parts. Where in Dead Space they were a simple novelty, here they are their own style of gameplay. Really liked the huge, open areas to blast around.

- Most of the new weapons seemed fun to play with when I went back and tried them. Plasma cutter is still boss. I used it exclusively for 99% of the game. The upgrading system still works well. Good suits, too. I found it funny that
the fancy new suit posted on all the boxes isn't equipped until the very end of the game.

- Fantastic graphics and art. It could have looked a lot better on PC had it shipped with higher texture resolutions and such, but the art is so good it doesn't matter. Visceral have a great understanding of lighting, colours and tones and manage to create these absolutely gorgeous effects and environments. The game has a very cohesive style and a great sense of identity.

- The space station was an okay place to set the game, though I did prefer the ship from the first. It had some good set pieces, especially during Zero G.

- Solid voice acting from pretty much everyone. Delivery of some lines were really great.

- When Isaac has to
jam the needle in his eye
it was a good example of applying interactivity to an intense scene which in turn makes it even more intense. It wouldn't have been the same if it were a button mashy quick time event, or a cutscene. More developers need to do stuff like this, as it works wonders and is something that can only be done in videogames.

- My rig managed to run it maxed out at 1920x1080 with all bells and whistles at a stable 60fps for basically the entire game. Great optimisation, especially considering my CPU is ~4+ years old.

CONS:

- Another game from this generation that succumbs to mediocre story loaded with melodramatic crap.
Dead Space 2 might have more narrative and 'story' than the original, but I honestly think its far worse. Isaac is not a relatable nor interesting character, his relationship with Nicole and our supposed empathy for his loss has not been well established, and making Isaac hurt his character for me more than anything. Its ironic, as him talking should add more character, but I really don't think it does. The 'normal guy in an abnormal situation' who never speaks from the first game worked well. Here Isaac has the occasional one liner, throws around swears, and does nothing to really sell himself as a unique or interesting individual. This coupled with the Nicole apparitions made for a similar situation that most other story games fall into; we're told to feel empathetic for these characters, but we never develop a genuine empathy. Isaac's relationship with Nicole barely exists to the audience, and making it a centerpiece here wasn't interesting at all.
It disappoints me to have that criticism, because I quite liked Dead Space's "less is more" approach to atmosphere and story telling, and this too often dipped into "another movie game" territory.

- I played on Normal and it was far too easy. That's not a game con, mind you, but a con of my own. I was going to pick a higher difficulty but decided to just do normal. I did die a few times throughout the game, but literally only one or two deaths could be atributed to a direct enemy attack. The rest were failing to hit a quick time event, smashing into something during flight, or missing the emergency airlock buttons. The actual combat was easy throughout the game.

- On the subject of ease, the final boss was a insanely easy. It wouldn't have taken me more than 20 seconds to beat it, and I never had to heal. The run up to the final boss was easy too, but I literally just sprinted through.

- The space station wasn't as interesting as the Ishimura. It had some good set pieces, but exploring the Ishimura was much more foreboding, though that may have been the intention, to offer something a little different from the original.
Exploring the Ishimura again was good, though went on a little longer than it maybe should have
. The way you were guided on your mission through the space station wasn't as interesting as the Ishimura either, mostly because your main objective flip flopped about.

- Some part of the game were a little tiring. I swear some parts had you mowing down enemies in a room until a door unlocked or something like that. There was definitely more 'action' than the first game. Sometimes it worked, other times it didn't.

- It wasn't scary! Admittedly the original game didn't really scare me much either, but this scared me even less. I dont know whether I'm just desensitized to all the necromorphs due to playing the first game plus Extraction, but here there just wasn't as much tension. The atmosphere was really great, but it wasn't scary.

COCKLUSION:

Dead Space 2 was a great sequel. It was a very safe sequel that didn't too much to really differentiate itself from the original, but since the fundamental mechanics were already great they're still great here. The parts that were improved, like the Zero G, were more than welcome. The Dead Space formula really is the direction I wanted Resident Evil to go in after 4. I still think RE4 is a better game than both Dead Space titles, but Dead Space at least gives a similar experience, whereas RE5 threw it all out the window. The mechanics are good solid fun and well worth playing.

I dont have a lot of huge complaints with the game, but the narrative was the most disappointing part for me. The subtle developments and sense of isolation and simplicity of the first game were lost in favour of bog standard videogame story telling with silly melodrama. Thankfully Dead Space 2 was LOADED with great gameplay, so its not one of those games that throws terrible cutscene after cutscene at you with weak gameplay in between, but I do think the stronger focus on narrative and making Isaac talk was for the worse.

My only wishes for Dead Space 3 would be to dial back the hamfisted narrative in favour of subtelty and discovery to push the plot, and maybe for the game to push some bigger ideas. Dead Space 2, while great, was very safe in its mechanics. Fingers crossed the inevitable Dead Space 3 has some big new ideas.

Overall I'd give Dead Space 2 a solid 8/10. A great game well worth investing in.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Baloonatic said:

No they are not, mouse aiming still sucks balls with its accelleration.
I'm baffled people don't notice such a thing and keep saying Pc controls are perfect this time around.
I specifically asked this yesterday morning before heading out to buy the game and someone else in this thread bullshitted me as well, so this is a fair warning. You can still enjoy the game, it's ok if you don't care/notice, but people shouldn't state lies as facts.

Luken

EatChildren said:
Yay! Finished! Pros and cons time!

BROS:

- Same great Dead Space formula and style with same great Dead Space gameplay. It stays very close to the original gameplay, playing it safe, but thats okay as Dead Space was good fun and thus this is too. Might as well call it Resident Evil 6, and I mean that in a good way.

I was wandering, which game is better, Resident Evil 4 or Dead Space 2?

Going to replay these both games to find out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luken said:

The styles are similar but I dont think either Dead Space hits the quality of Resident Evil 4, even though both Dead Space games are great.

But Im someone who believes RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made. Of the mechanics and styles they share, I dont think there's anything Dead Space 2 does better than Resident Evil 4.

Numpt3

Just finished it myself.

Awesome game, I loved every minute of it. Some of the set pieces were mental and the zero g sections were something else. I can't wait to start another run, I shall be on the dlc day 1 for sure.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I am a third of the way through this game, and it is what Resident Evil 5 (that POS!) should have been.

Capcom, you've had your day. I'll put my money on Visceral from now on.

Luken

EatChildren said:
The styles are similar but I dont think either Dead Space hits the quality of Resident Evil 4, even though both Dead Space games are great.

But Im someone who believes RE4 is one of the greatest games ever made. Of the mechanics and styles they share, I dont think there's anything Dead Space 2 does better than Resident Evil 4.

:)

I agree with you, going to replay Resident Evil 4 later today. Dead Space 2 was missing the almighty important boss fights that a game like this requires. And there wasn't enough story development, you end the game thinking “What? That's it?”

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If Dead Space 2 manages to have the design sensibilities of just one of the three main sections of RE4 (village, castle, island), it will be better than 90% of games by default. If it has two of the three it is a contender for best game of all time.

It can not have all three because that would create a weird pinpoint in time that can't be altered, essentially deleting RE4 from existence. I don't fully understand the science behind it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
EatChildren said:

RE4 has literally the perfect difficulty curve. I can't think of a game I'd rather play more than RE4. It's simply marvelous.

Finished it today.
I'm a bit disappointed of the last few chapter. (especially chapter 14-15). In the end the game turns out in a normal third person shooter. There wasn't any shock moments anymore. You only saw a bunch of enemies, fought against them, continued to the next room. Nothing happened. Next room, again a bunch of enemies, killed them. etc. The ubermorph was really annoying in chapter 15. Chapter 1-13 are truly amazing. Chapter 14-15 are a letdown. The final boss was okay. Nothing special. But the final boss of Dead Space was motherfu**ing amazing! Damn. But again: It was a amazing game experience. And I really like the ending of the game. A good start into the new year. But pls. Viscreal games: Go back to "the roots" for Dead Space 3.

Wiggum2007

Was it a waste of power nodes to upgrade my plasma cutter all the way up to the special ability? :lol Lighting enemies on fire was just too cool to pass up.

Also, man, I've totally got a BioShock vibe in several places on the Sprawl (not a bad thing!). I think it's all the bright cheesy advertisements and storefronts, partially destroyed and littered with corpses, with large windows looking out on an abandoned city built in an unusual environment. DS1 had plenty of similarities as well but not so much with its setting. On top of this I just picked up the Vintage Suit so I'm now rocking the Big Daddy look. :lol

EatChildren

Wiggum2007 said:
Was it a waste of power nodes to upgrade my plasma cutter all the way up to the special ability? :lol Lighting enemies on fire was just too cool to pass

Never a waste. I used the plasma cutter right up until the end. Much like the first game, its easily one of the most versatile weapons you can use.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Truant said:
What's the best AA solution for nVidia cards? I'm using nHancer.
You can only use AA on the latest two driver revisions which aren't compatible with nhancer. Download Nvidia Inspector and use the AA compatibility 0x004030C0.

EatChildren said:

Agreed.

Luken said:

RE4 is one of the best games of all time. DS2 comes oh-so-close. DS2 has a better narrative and I think it has better combat and better writing/characters (I disagree with EatChildren on the story and characters), and it really does great things with Zero-G. But there is something about RE4 which will always put it at the top. It's a perfectly paced game with satisfying combat, gruesome scares, and fantastic boss battles. It also has terrible writing and hilariously awful characters which makes it rock.

I love DS2, but RE4 will always hold a special place in my heart.

Yeah, I edited this after, but I came to the realization that I love Dead Space more.

Havok

Finished the game last night, really enjoyed it. I had the same problem with the last few chapters as I did in the first game, though, where it starts going more in the direction of an action game which I don't think necessarily plays to its strengths. I guess it makes sense because you're supposed to be blazing through to the end as fast as possible for story purposes, but throwing a ton of the elite-level enemies and
a couple (or maybe just one) of the regenerating ubermorphs
at you wasn't much fun to me, but that's just my opinion.

JRW

Dash Kappei said:
You can't tell the difference between a 720p aliased game running at 30fps and the same game at 1080p with anti-aliasing and running @60 fps? I kinda envy you.

Oh absolutely I was referring to the comment on PC's lighting being superior.

JRW said:
Oh absolutely I was referring to the comment on PC's lighting being superior.

Sorry, I didn't mean that the PC version actually has better lighting than the console versions. I was just saying that in general the lighting is very good. I didn't word it very well.

Hypertrooper said:
Finished it today.
I'm a bit disappointed of the last few chapter. (especially chapter 14-15). In the end the game turns out in a normal third person shooter. There wasn't any shock moments anymore. You only saw a bunch of enemies, fought against them, continued to the next room. Nothing happened. Next room, again a bunch of enemies, killed them. etc. The ubermorph was really annoying in chapter 15. Chapter 1-13 are truly amazing. Chapter 14-15 are a letdown. The final boss was okay. Nothing special. But the final boss of Dead Space was motherfu**ing amazing! Damn. But again: It was a amazing game experience. And I really like the ending of the game. A good start into the new year. But pls. Viscreal games: Go back to "the roots" for Dead Space 3.

Yeah. Two or three studios have been working on it. It doesn't have the same feel as the rest and it's kinda disjointed.

venom2124

luxarific said:
I think the "him" Stross is talking about is his infant son (whom he murdered under influence of the marker, as he did his wife). You'll note that he uses two pronouns, when talking about the steps, first "him", and then "her". The "him" refers to his son. The "her" refers to his wife. I think the marker makes you see whomever you feel most guilty about/or those you love the most, for Issac it was Nicole, for Stross it was his family.
In any case, they really should have made Aftermath the pack in instead of the plastic gun for the Collector's Edition, since I think a lot of buyers of that edition are probably interested in the story and Stross becomes much more understandable (but not entirely) in the game if you've seen the movie first.
Oh wow. Thanks for that info, I really missed a bunch of Stross' story. That's what I get for keeping the subtitles off.

datruth29

Finished Dead Space 2 a while ago. Loved it, thought it was great. Not as good as RE4, and that's largely do to the boss battles and general level design. But it's really fucking hard for an action game in RE4's style to be equally good, and Dead Space 2 has come closer then any other game (especially RE5, fuck that game).

I really think they need to focus on boss battles and "moments" in the next Dead Space 2. That series of scenes that take place at the end of Chapter 5 (you guys know what I'm talking about) was insane and orgasmic. It combined a cinematic moment with gameplay in a way that made it incredibly satisfying, especially on your first play through. Unfortunately, the biggest flaw was the boss battles. They just weren't that good, even in comparison to the first game (Fighting the hive mind was infinitely better then Dead Space 2's end boss).

With that being said, I'm already replaying the game, and will probably play hardcore mode soon after (I can't wait to feel the rage of dying 3 hours after my last save to some random shit xD).

Replicant

Ew. The collective handjobs over RE4 in this thread disgusts me. To me that piece.of.shit iteration in Resident Evil franchise has no place in survival horror realm. There's nothing tense at all about RE4. It got stupid enemies (giant troll? Bleh! stupid talky dwarf, etc), annoying twat to accompany/escort ("Oh, Ashley!), cringe-worthy acting, some of the most ANNOYING quicktime moments (during cutscenes FFS!), and most of all, there's nothing cool about Leon, the floppy-haired Leo-dicaprio-titanic-era wannabe. Not to mention it brings about the worst entry in RE series thanks to its success.

In contrast, DS2 at least had some genuinely tense environment battles (the train, the outer space sliding, etc), enemies that are actually creepy and effective, thick atmosphere, and just overall cool suits/weapons/actions. It may not have some boss battle but it's not like the last boss battle on RE4 was that exciting either.

ToyMachine228 said:
This is OT but has there been any mention of Extraction coming to XBLA?

It's 3.5gb on the PS3, so unless they can compress it down to 2gb it probably won't be coming to Live Arcade. :(

Might be a blessing as the DS3 controls are ass, can't imagine them being any better with the 360 controller.

Numpt3

Replicant said:
Ew. The collective handjobs over RE4 in this thread disgusts me. To me that piece.of.shit iteration in Resident Evil franchise has no place in survival horror realm. There's nothing tense at all about RE4. It got stupid enemies (giant troll? Bleh! stupid talky dwarf, etc), annoying twat to accompany/escort ("Oh, Ashley!), cringe-worthy acting, some of the most ANNOYING quicktime moments (during cutscenes FFS!), and most of all, there's nothing cool about Leon, the floppy-haired Leo-dicaprio-titanic-era wannabe. Not to mention it brings about the worst entry in RE series thanks to its success.

In contrast, DS2 at least had some genuinely tense environment battles (the train, the outer space sliding, etc), enemies that are actually creepy and effective, thick atmosphere, and just overall cool suits/weapons/actions. It may not have some boss battle but it's not like the last boss battle on RE4 was that exciting either.
I'm glad that I'm not the only person in this thread who doesn't understand all the Resi 4 love, lol.

In terms of survival/horror DS and DS2 beat Resi 4's cheese fest hands down. But that's just my opinion. :p

Replicant said:

RE4's level design shits all over DS2

Replicant said:

I will admit, you have a point.

Hey man... this is all I have to say to justify why I like Resident Evil:

Ramon Salazar: I've sent my right hand to dispose of you.
Leon S. Kennedy: Your right hand comes off?

I think it's just nostalgia that makes me like RE4. I actually like Dead Space and Dead Space 2 far more than Resident Evil 4.

Replicant

DevelopmentArrested said:
RE4's level design shits all over DS2

If by 'level design' you mean countless barren village with the same repeating houses or the same repeating caves or the same mansion corridors then yeah. Let's face it, level design on both games are kinda repetitive.

EatChildren

Replicant said:
If by 'level design' you mean countless barren village with the same repeating houses or the same repeating caves or the same mansion corridors then yeah. Let's face it, level design on both games are kinda repetitive.

There's a special circle of hell reserved just for Replicants.

NIN90

Replicant said:

Except that you are leaving out the great parts like the mine cart ride, the fire room in the castle, holding off a assault in the house with Luis or the garden maze. And that's just from the top of my head.

Replicant

NIN90 said:
Except that you are leaving out the great parts like the mine cart ride, the fire room in the castle, holding off a assault in the house with Luis or the garden maze. And that's just from the top of my head.

Dead Space 2 also has equivalents of those things and are either better or far more exciting. Most of all, they actually evoke the feeling of cool. I feel awesome/cool for surviving the train and the space sliding, which I didn't get from surviving the cart ride or fire room. And the house gangbang with Louis was the equivalent to any kind of Necro gangbang you get from any DS moment, which I don't like that much even though it's tense.

I think that's the thing. When I think DS2, I'm reminded of cool things like this:

6f5lp2.jpg

When I think RE4, I'm reminded of Leon and his stupid Leo-dicaprio hair:

ei1qtg.jpg

Hixx

Replicant said:
Dead Space 2 also has equivalents of those things and are either better or far more exciting. Most of all, they actually evoke the feeling of cool. I feel awesome/cool for surviving the train and the space sliding, which I didn't get from surviving the cart ride or fire room. And the house gangbang with Louis was the equivalent to any kind of Necro gangbang you get from any DS moment, which I don't like that much even though it's tense.

No.

I really like Dead Space 2 but it still doesn't hold a candle to RE4 in many, many respects.

Top Bottom