• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 2 |OT| The Marker Is Not A Sharpie

Currently playing through Hard Core...

...and I'm tense and all shit because I'm trying to get to chapter 8 before saving once. You have no idea how fast my heart was beating in chapter 5 when
the Tripod grabs you and starts dragging you...that part from the demo. Was so worried I was going to blow everything there.

So nerve-wracking. D:

Almost at chapter 7.

LiK said:
I have no idea what that means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neotantra

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I don't know why, but I'm feeling somewhat sad for you.

I don't know why either. : / Joking...jokes!

Anyway...nevermind.

TenshiOni said:
Currently playing through Hard Core...

...and I'm tense and all shit because I'm trying to get to chapter 8 before saving once. You have no idea how fast my heart was beating in chapter 5 when
the Tripod grabs you and starts dragging you...that part from the demo. Was so worried I was going to blow everything there.

So nerve-wracking. D:

Almost at chapter 7.

can't say I'm looking forward to that moment in hard core mode.

So far so good for my Hard Core run...

Up to chapter 11 now and I've only saved once (very end of chapter 7). Trying to get to the end of 11/beginning of 12 before saving that second time.

MP is completely fucking retarded now. in the beta it was actually a challenge to succeed as humans but now once your turn as humans is up you might as well put the controller down and take a piss cuz you're gonna lose unless the other team has fallen asleep.

i'm really disappointed because i thought the beta was tons of fun.

And SCENE! 1000/1000.

Hard Core beat. Didn't die once!

It's time get my BANG BANG and PEW PEW on.

Thanks for the absolutely amazing sequel, Visceral. I'll be there Day 1 for any and all DLC you put out. And I'll be there Day 0 for Dead Space 3.

Won't forget this game come time for the GOTY Top 10s!

AvidNobody said:
Did you Fully complete DS1? Was Hardcore mode really that bad?
As in, did I beat the first one on Impossible? Yeah, I've 1000/1000'd both games now. :)

Despite the fact that I didn't die, Hard Core in DS2 is no joke. If I hadn't already played the game three times in a row before attempting it, I surely would have died multiple times while playing it.

No joke: the trek to chapter 7/8 before finally saving once was taxing as hell. I abused stasis and quick healing constantly. I made sure to only go through most of the game with two guns (Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun) so that I would get tons of ammo for them. I used Plasma Cutter for most enemies and Force Gun for crowd control (tears the Pack apart) and ambushes (as many of you know, the final few chapters loves to spawn dudes behind you). I eventually added the Contact Beam to my repertoire because it totally annihilates all the bosses in the game (especially the final boss and the Brutes).

But yeah, I never really ran out of ammo but I made sure to stock up at stores when I had some cash to spare (was still able to save up tons for nodes). It helped that I knew the game so well, though. I know where every single node is and where every enemy encounter is.

I fully upgraded my RIG (health-wise, at least), Stasis, the Plasma Cutter, and the Charge Beam before I was through. Upgraded everything about the Force Gun except the Alt Fire.

And yeah, when it came time to chapters 14 and 15, I literally just ran, stasis'd, Force Gun'd, and quick healed my way to the ending. You'd be surprised how much time and ammo you save by just running away from shit and stasising in the last three chapters.

Saved at the end of 7, end of 11 (when you get the final suit), and at the end of 13.

I've now begun playing Dead Space: Extraction. It's pretty awesome. I'm only playing with a DS3, and even having never used a Move controller, I can immediately feel that the experience would be much better with a Move controller. But it's okay on a DS3 so far. Really fun game. I really like the narrative so far. The gameplay is fun and really intense.

Grisby

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I've now begun playing Dead Space: Extraction. It's pretty awesome. I'm only playing with a DS3, and even having never used a Move controller, I can immediately feel that the experience would be much better with a Move controller. But it's okay on a DS3 so far. Really fun game. I really like the narrative so far. The gameplay is fun and really intense.

Its a great game and a hell of a DS story. Shame it never sold on the Wii.

JEKKI

OMG I HAD NO IDEA U CAN SHOOT OFF THE LEGS!!!

I do not play shooter games, I really suck at them, but I love me sum Dead Space so I jus deal with it,

but the other nite I was up til sooooo late playing chapter 10 coz I kept on dying and dying over and over and over again coz it was jus too hard for me!!!

but today I was listening to a podcast called Out of the Game and one of the ppl mentioned shooting legs off the dinosaur monsters,

and I was like... wait... what... u can do that?!?!

now the combat has gotten so much easier for me!!! omg Im like a pro now, shooting legs off and sheeyit!!

how I made it all the way so far thru the game without ever doing or noticing this is so beyond me o_O

J2d

Some thoughts.

Once you get halfway through the game you have pretty much seen every enemy type in the game, would have been nice with something different to mix it up.

When Stross started talking about "him" I felt like "ooh who is this evil fucker" shame that nothing scary came out of that =/

Instead of the Ubermorph, which felt a little uninspired, I would have like to see something like mr x from RE2 or Nemesis. Not limiting him to the final portion of the game and have him busting through walls instead of dropping out of air ducts, random encounters would have been nice too.

Gribbix

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
There's a new "Questions with Steve" and they show off the first screens of Severed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s33u7EGQVFw
Here's are the screenshots captured from the video:
severed1ih8r.jpg

severed2jit1.jpg

severed31grs.jpg

venom2124

J2d said:
Some thoughts.

Once you get halfway through the game you have pretty much seen every enemy type in the game, would have been nice with something different to mix it up.

When Stross started talking about "him" I felt like "ooh who is this evil fucker" shame that nothing scary came out of that =/

Instead of the Ubermorph, which felt a little uninspired, I would have like to see something like mr x from RE2 or Nemesis. Not limiting him to the final portion of the game and have him busting through walls instead of dropping out of air ducts, random encounters would have been nice too.
Spot on.
I was wondering when the person Stross was talking about would be revealed. I think he even mentioned that Isaac would remember him too. I guess it was the doctor from the beginning. The one who says, your rig is red, it's red. And I would have loved a pyramid head/nemesis/mr x in this game. I wonder why more horror games don't use an enemy that actively pursues throughout the game. They always end up being memorable.

Grisby

Replicant said:
Is the DLC still starring Isaac? DNW that stupid-looking chick from Extraction.

What, she wasn't stupid, :(.

No, it seem like you'll be in the shoes of Gabe Weller, who used to be an officer on the Ishimura. I wish it was Nate, the better dude from Extraction, but...welll...that wouldn't work for obvious game play reasons.

Grisby said:
No, it seem like you'll be in the shoes of Gabe Weller, who used to be an officer on the Ishimura. I wish it was Nate, the better dude from Extraction, but...welll...that wouldn't work for obvious game play reasons.
Extraction spoilers:

Not to mention for story reasons.

Pretty sure he's the Necro at the end that attacks Lexine.

fernoca

Regarding 'Severed':
The first DLC release will see two of those characters, Gabe Weller and Lexine Murdock, return for an adventure that runs "parallel" to that of Isaac Clarke's in Dead Space 2. This time around, players will take on the role of Gabe, now employed as a security guard on the Sprawl, who must battle an onslaught of necromorphs in a desperate effort to get himself and Lexine to safety.
And:
Dead Space: Severed will not be released for the PC.

Drewsky

So I just got this tonight. Played up until I killed the "Tormenter." Possibly the most badass quick time event I've seen.

Absolutely fantastic game.

Replicant

Grisby said:

OK, fine. Her VA was annoying. That cloying, cutesy act she pulled in the opening video wasn't charming at all. It's annoying. I hope they'd at least recast the VA.

Grisby said:

I like Lexine too... so far :)

I haven't finished Extraction, but I know what the ending is...
Sort of hoping that Nate survived that ending... somehow. Maybe you cross paths with him later. Or that other survivor from Aftermath.

I wonder how substantial the DLC is. The EA release states it as the first DLC, so maybe there will be more. I'd love that. I am digging Weller's helmet.

JRW

Man think I screwed myself on my current save, Its
on the way back from activating the centrifuge in Chapter 10(survivalist), I go through the decontamination sequence and then all those enemies come rushing through the windows afterwards,
I have about a pixel of health left and no med packs plus very little ammo. Might have to load a previous save on this one.

Just now got my Platinum on DS2 and I'm already greatly anticipating Severed. I absolutely loved this sequel, but if I had to name a slight disappointment, it would be that my favorite enemy type from DS1 that successfully made it into DS2 is missing it's creepy moan. Super minor bummer on an otherwise spectacular experience.

bluedeviltron said:
One of the most irritating final bosses ever, especially if you go into it with no ammo.
Yeah it pissed me off. I died about 15 times until I have up and went back to a previous save, backtracked to the last store and stocked up on ammo and upgraded everything. Cool game but the end frustrated me because I wasn't prepared for it. My fault really I admit.

O.DOGG

I'm on my second playthrough, just hit Chapter 12 on Survivalist. I was eager to try my new Elite suit, and then I find out that they're missing from the PC version. Well, FUCK!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
venom2124 said:
Spot on.
I was wondering when the person Stross was talking about would be revealed. I think he even mentioned that Isaac would remember him too. I guess it was the doctor from the beginning. The one who says, your rig is red, it's red. And I would have loved a pyramid head/nemesis/mr x in this game. I wonder why more horror games don't use an enemy that actively pursues throughout the game. They always end up being memorable.

Spoilers for Aftermath (the second animation):
I think the "him" Stross is talking about is his infant son (whom he murdered under influence of the marker, as he did his wife). You'll note that he uses two pronouns, when talking about the steps, first "him", and then "her". The "him" refers to his son. The "her" refers to his wife. I think the marker makes you see whomever you feel most guilty about/or those you love the most, for Issac it was Nicole, for Stross it was his family.
In any case, they really should have made Aftermath the pack in instead of the plastic gun for the Collector's Edition, since I think a lot of buyers of that edition are probably interested in the story and Stross becomes much more understandable (but not entirely) in the game if you've seen the movie first.

O.DOGG said:
I'm on my second playthrough, just hit Chapter 12 on Survivalist. I was eager to try my new Elite suit, and then I find out that they're missing from the PC version. Well, FUCK!

They're working on it. Apparently.

CadetMahoney said:
I wanna know who the fuck put all that hippie shit all over the walls in the residential/shopping areas in between chapters 2 and 7. Necros running around would make that kinda hard.
NotTheGuyYouKill said:
Maybe the Marker was causing insanity before the fall. Some people graffitied that before and during the initial stages. Isaac only wakes up at the tail-end of the evacuation. And Aftermath answers your other question, I think. Jump over to the story thread if you wanna discuss it, I guess: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420787
We see the same areas un-graffitied in the early chapters (laundry, marker-statue hall etc.) when everyone was at the end of evacuating with necros running around. So someone must of done that during all the necros being there when He returns to those areas in Chapter 6/

TenshiOni said:
No joke: the trek to chapter 7/8 before finally saving once was taxing as hell. I abused stasis and quick healing constantly. I made sure to only go through most of the game with two guns (Plasma Cutter and the Force Gun) so that I would get tons of ammo for them. I used Plasma Cutter for most enemies and Force Gun for crowd control (tears the Pack apart) and ambushes (as many of you know, the final few chapters loves to spawn dudes behind you). I eventually added the Contact Beam to my repertoire because it totally annihilates all the bosses in the game (especially the final boss and the Brutes).
You only get the Force Gun schemeatic in a locker at the top of the maintenance pod ride in chapter 7, not late in the game but plenty of necros needed to be crowd controlled getting there. What did you use in place of the force gun getting there. Pulse rifle sounds good for the pack at least.

Replicant

CadetMahoney said:
You only get the Force Gun schemeatic in a locker at the top of the maintenance pod ride in chapter 7, not late in the game but plenty of necros needed to be crowd controlled getting there. What did you use in place of the force gun getting there. Pulse rifle sounds good for the pack at least.
Actually, the collector's edition version comes with a free gun called "Zealot Force Gun", which is available from the 1st chapter and is so much better than the normal one because it adds 15% damage or something like that.

So no, he doesn't actually have to wait until ch.7 to use Force Gun if he got the collectors' edition of DS2.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I beat it!!

Beat it! Beat it! no one wanna be defeated!

show em I'm JEKKI! you are Dead Space!

It doesnt matter, I bust your face! so beat it!!

The_Inquisitor said:
Are you fucking serious? I held off buying on steam cause of my backlog. But no DLC?!

Yeah. Pretty sure they announced that lovely bit of information the day the game came out as well.

At the moment I just want the unlocks to work on the PC version. Can't get the Elite Suits or the weapon for beating Hardcore at the moment as they, erm, forgot to put them in or something.

Top Bottom