• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Personally, I didn't find the framerate unbearable at all. I had bigger issues with the framerate in Tomb Raider PS3 to be honest, because those frame drops came at the worst possible times (in the middle of firefights).
In Deadly Premonition, nothing is ever happening when the frames drop (which makes them more baffling, really), except for the PIP sequences.. but those require minimal controller input anyway.

ironcreed

Banned
Well, it most certainly plays better. Looks sharper as well, but that is not saying much considering the visuals, lol. Framerate got a tad hitchy in the opening area, but nothing that I can't tolerate. I'll take the improved gameplay and camera any day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Guys, how do I put this.

...This isn't something you just 'patch later.' Things you 'patch later' are bugs that crash the game, items being overpowered, simple things like that. 'Fixing the framerate' is not some simple to do thing. If it was, they would have done it from the start. They knew it was like this. They shipped it like this. They charged 40 dollars for this because they knew they would make all their profit from the crazy, cult following. It sucks, but I guarantee that's the conversation they had.

It's just like when UFG said they'd make ModNation Racers load times quicker. By about a millisecond. Because, if they could have done something that complex that quickly, it would have just been done before it got printed.

Jenga

Banned
well, i think my ps3 is dead for good

...when i get my replacement some weeks down the line i might just not ever tempt fate and go to the milk barn

idk, this is shit. I was really loving the game too

jgminto

So, I've got some questions, could you guys help me out?

Fishing: Does each fishing spot only give one particular kind of fish?
Fishing: Do the fish become rotten over time?
Fishing: What do I do with the fish?

Ha! You actually fish for fish!? I fish for trading cards!

There's one in each area. They're the present with the pink burst behind it. They're the only thing you really need from fishing, outside of a sidequest.

Geido

Man this game is great! Just loving the town and the characters and just hanging out in it.

I think it doesn't matter, but just to be sure: is it bad if you miss an appointment.? I have to go to the community center to talk to the town, but if I don't go, will I be able to do it tommorrow?

And I've just done the first mission for the Milk Barn and apparently there's another one, but it didn't pop up right away. Is there a waiting period for part 2's of quests. Didn't happen with the Anna Quests...

Already posted?

Left: Ps3 Director's cut
Right: Xbox 360

DeadlyPremonitionDirectorsCutMozilla.jpg

Yeah...

jgminto

I think it doesn't matter, but just to be sure: is it bad if you miss an appointment.? I have to go to the community center to talk to the town, but if I don't go, will I be able to do it tommorrow?

And I've just done the first mission for the Milk Barn and apparently there's another one, but it didn't pop up right away. Is there a waiting period for part 2's of quests. Didn't happen with the Anna Quests...

There's no punishment for missing an appointment. Take as long as you want.

Quests like the Milk Barn can only be done once per chapter. So do another story mission and they will become available.

Locke_211

The game keeps getting better! By the end of Chapter 10, the story and the actual story-telling are both pretty brilliant.

I looked at a couple of the blurbs on some of the trading cards I've found, though, and there seem to be some pretty huge spoilers! So maybe don't actually look at some of the trading cards.

I love the "whistley" tune that plays at some hugely inappropriate times.

Persona7

Banned
I just realized the Bank was probably going to be the Milk Barn at one point because the door texture has the inside of the Milk Barn on it.

Either that or the doors got mixed up in development because the actual Milk Barn door is see through and doesn't have that texture.

The items on the shelf in the milk barn are also hilarious , they just copied real item templates and changed a few things. The oreo one is hilarious because it is those oreo cakesters they discontinued years ago.

vocab

Guys, how do I put this.

...This isn't something you just 'patch later.' Things you 'patch later' are bugs that crash the game, items being overpowered, simple things like that. 'Fixing the framerate' is not some simple to do thing. If it was, they would have done it from the start. They knew it was like this. They shipped it like this. They charged 40 dollars for this because they knew they would make all their profit from the crazy, cult following. It sucks, but I guarantee that's the conversation they had.

It's just like when UFG said they'd make ModNation Racers load times quicker. By about a millisecond. Because, if they could have done something that complex that quickly, it would have just been done before it got printed.

Doesn't matter. They released a broken port for a higher price point. Don't go around saying it's the directors cut, it's better. You'll be glad you waited! and then release some shoddy fucked up version of the game that has loads of technical issues. I haven't got burned like this in a long time

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Which is the version to get? PS3 or 360? I was gonna buy the PS3 version until I heard about the frame rate problems.

As bad as as the framerate is, the gameplay enhancements make this so much easier to play. It's still dreadful, but not nearly as dreadful.

Artorias

Banned
I have not popped this open yet, but somebody mentioned the Amazon preorder code not working. Should I contact them, or is there no solution to it atm?

Persona7

Banned
I have not popped this open yet, but somebody mentioned the Amazon preorder code not working. Should I contact them, or is there no solution to it atm?

Amazon and the publisher already know about the issues and apparently it is happening to every single code that was sent out. Waiting is out is the current solution.

I feel like they changed some of the products on the shelves in the milk barn, I remember something to do with lemon in the original version but I don't see that anywhere. They definitely removed the Trix box from the original game. I can't remember if it actually said trix or they changed it but now it is USB Cereal.

the framerate takes a huge, borderline unplayable dive behind the police station, around lysander's junkyard and george's house

everywhere else ranges from annoying to acceptable, just get the radio and it makes things much less obnoxious

the framerate takes a huge, borderline unplayable dive behind the police station, around lysander's junkyard and george's house

everywhere else ranges from annoying to acceptable, just get the radio and it makes things much less obnoxious

I played the xbox version without ever getting the radio *sobs uncontrollably* My desire to play has been sapped by the quest bug, will probably finish it tomorrow I guess. Such a bummer I can't get 100% completion now.

Persona7

Banned

lol @ the original versions milk barn items. They changed the Crest logo but didn't bother with the maxwell house or trix ones

The new stuff in the directors cut is still bordering on copyright infringement because they took the real product designs and just changed the names. I wish I had the setup to take screenshots

sunnz

Honestly my biggest annoyance and problem with this game is how the sidequests work.

Seems very stupid and like the game doesn't even want you to know that they exist or what to do to start them.

I went from chapter 1 to chapter 7 almost instantly and finding out I can't complete some of these tasks is annoying, thankfully you can load chapters.

Plus things like Quin not being in his bloody house, inconsistent times to when people are actually at there homes, raining for some to appear were they need to (is rain scripted to chapters and such or just random) and side missions not activating without any idea of how to activate them is infuriating. I only was able to do Becky's first side quest luckily as I randomly went to Anna's house.

lol @ the original versions milk barn items. They changed the Crest logo but didn't bother with the maxwell house or trix ones

The new stuff in the directors cut is still bordering on copyright infringement because they took the real product designs and just changed the names. I wish I had the setup to take screenshots

Whoa, I didn't see that trix box. I thought Maxwell was changed to Maxwall. Anyhow, I know some attorneys in copyright so I'll ask them what, if anything, would need to be done. Maybe the boxes can be changed to say "Redacted" or something.

Persona7

Banned
Whoa, I didn't see that trix box. I thought Maxwell was changed to Maxwall. Anyhow, I know some attorneys in copyright so I'll ask them what, if anything, would need to be done. Maybe the boxes can be changed to say "Redacted" or something.

Yeah, I think in the new directors cut items they just took the official box design and changed the names and a few minor things but the rest of the box designs still look exactly like the real product and it seems like that would be a problem.

It is hilarious though, especially the oreo cakesters and aunt jemima boxes.

Persona7

Banned
Cress, lol. I should've looked around the Milk Barn more.

You should look at the door to the bank in the middle of town, it has the same door signs AND it has a texture that reflects the inside of the milk barn as you were looking in.

The actual milk barn has the signs but not the texture of what the inside looks like.

Weird!

SmithnCo

You should look at the door to the bank in the middle of town, it has the same door signs AND it has a texture that reflects the inside of the milk barn as you were looking in.

The actual milk barn has the signs but not the texture of what the inside looks like.

Weird!

Haha, sounds like they mixed up the doors during development. For some reason it's endearing in this game.

Persona7

Banned
Haha, sounds like they mixed up the doors during development. For some reason it's endearing in this game.

I was thinking that the Milk Barn might have been in that location at one point in time during development but they decided to move it somewhere else.

I love finding cool little things like that in games , even if I don't know why or what happened.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Did you guys experience any mapping glitches? I had mine in Episode 1
in the Lumber Mill
? The map in the menu had purple glitches instead of having outlines. It fixes whenever you close the menu and reopen it.

Persona7

Banned
I have not seen any map glitches and I use it quite a bit.

However , when I went inside Anna's house it started strobing green and purple light effects and white vertical stripes until I exited and went back in.

Guys, how do I put this.

Well yes, and that's the reason they lost my sale. Why even bother with a "director's cut" when the biggest problems are not fixed. Shipping PS2 graphics on PS3 with 15 fps... Yeah.

Still sad to miss out on it though.

I just beat the game.

What a mixed experience. I liked a lot of it, and I didn't care for a lot of it.

Didn't care too much for how George's plotline was handled and I'm not sure if the whole thing is cohesive. Wasn't George waiting outside with Emily when he appears as the raincoat killer in the "other world?" Why were Thomas and Carol excited to get involved with George's ... plans? Okay, I get it that Thomas is obsessed with George, but still. This is minor, but Carol's song was disappointingly mismatched. Was the song that plays at the end the original Rainy Woods song? It does sound a lot like Twin Peaks, so I guess that's why it was cut, but I like it so much better.

I did like how Zach was handled. And by the end of the game I did sincerely care about Emily and teared up when she died. What a major blow! A lot of the little details in the game were really fun.

Obviously they're planning a sequel (maybe working on it) and perhaps the director's cut is meant to fund the game. We're going to ... the south? With old man Zach? Years into the future? Regardless, I'm sure I'll play it. Maybe next time will feel like a more cohesive vision.

snap0212

They charged me for my EU PSN Pre-Order today. 22.50€.

I was going to wait to see if they would and could patch things but the price seems perfectly fine to me. Now let's wait until they unlock the game.

Locke_211

Honestly my biggest annoyance and problem with this game is how the sidequests work.

Seems very stupid and like the game doesn't even want you to know that they exist or what to do to start them.

I went from chapter 1 to chapter 7 almost instantly and finding out I can't complete some of these tasks is annoying, thankfully you can load chapters.

Plus things like Quin not being in his bloody house, inconsistent times to when people are actually at there homes, raining for some to appear were they need to (is rain scripted to chapters and such or just random) and side missions not activating without any idea of how to activate them is infuriating. I only was able to do Becky's first side quest luckily as I randomly went to Anna's house.

I agree that it's sometimes frustrating, but I think it's more that the game actively wants you to hunt them down, to investigate people's routines and find out where they go at certain points of the day to see if they give you quests at those moments. This is very much opposed to the Ubisoft "give you hundreds of pointless sidequests on a plate" philosophy that has taken over recently. And in return for the effort it takes to find them, you get massively worthwhile rewards that will dramatically change your experience of the game.

Most people can be visited in their houses from about 4pm, if that helps. Always have a full stock of cigarettes with you as these allow you to fast-forward through the hours.

My own approach was to find a guide that explained how to get fast-travel, then try to work out everything else on my own. I think that's the best way to play it. Trying to find everything without fast-travel goes over the line from rewarding to unreasonable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

The framerate in the junkyard is hilarious but still playable.

Top Bottom