• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Locke_211

I just bought the complete Twin Peaks set! Never seen any of it before.

It's interesting how the pacing in DP completely changes in the second half.

I just bought the complete Twin Peaks set! Never seen any of it before.

It's interesting how the pacing in DP completely changes in the second half.

Twin Peaks is excellent, but just know that season two has a considerable dip in quality about midway through. I suggest sticking with it despite that. There are some funny moments and the finale is wild.

parabolee

Always wanted to love this game from what I read about it. And being a massive Twin peaks fan, I got the original 360 game.

And while I found the bad graphics, awful acting and all round budget feel of the game charming. I could not get on with the awful controls at all. And gave up on the game.

Decided to try again with the Directors Cut and I am very glad I did. New controls are a MASSIVE improvement!

Shame the frame rate is so shitty though. I put the 360 version on beside the DC and I'd bet the 360 version is getting about 10 more FPS most of the time.

Sucks because the game has nothing going on and looks like crap. Least they could do was have a decent frame rate.

However luckily this is the kind of game where that does not matter much at all. And the new controls easily make up for a worse frame rate.

Can't wait to spend some more time in Greenvale, right Zach?

Jenga

Banned
just finished the
george fight. i love how he turns into akuma, and then Oni akuma at the second fight. like they gave up trying to be vaguely western and just went full japanese with it

Twin Peaks is excellent, but just know that season two has a considerable dip in quality about midway through. I suggest sticking with it despite that. There are some funny moments and the finale is wild.

You know, I always thought that the little lull in the second season is kind of part of its charm, even if it was unintentional. After all, this is supposed to be a relatively small town where usually everything is fine and dandy, but some things are really fucked up. After all the turmoil in the first season, catching a little break and having some funny bits or love stories makes it seem more realistic. And it's a great contrast to the finale.

Locke_211

Fascinating video here. Especially from 2:30. The attention to detail to character movements is incredible.

WARNING, THOUGH: IT REVEALS THE KILLER SO DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j04n2FtIQ8g&feature=youtu.be

AGAIN, MAJOR SPOILERS!

Oh, and on another note, I see the Twin Peaks set has both the original pilot and the 'international pilot with alternative ending'. I would always default to the original but is there anyone who would suggest the international with alternative ending instead?

Jenga

Banned
The Adventures of Old Zach

I'd be interested to see where they could go with that.

if it worked for
MGS4
it could work here

i'm 50/50 certain though they'll just
bring back young york for body switch shenanigans and hand wave the age away, with a demon planter as the the main antagonist, anything is possible

Jenga

Banned
in the extended ending cut i also like
york reiterating what kaysen said about humanity, was the york personality actually from the same yolk as kaysen himself?

I would always default to the original but is there anyone who would suggest the international with alternative ending instead?

No, no, no! The "alternative ending" reveals too much about the killer and was originally meant to be a stand-alone movie. Watching it negates the whole point of the first half of the show. Go with the original version!

I just got an email from Amazon about the preorder codes saying that they worked out the issue and the code should now work. Gonna give it a try in a little bit an report back.

EDIT: Works! Im not sure if they just fixed my code alone or if all of the codes are fixed now, but if your code didnt work, give it a shot now. If not, and you ordered from Amazon, just talk to their customer service.

TEJ

I don't get the QTE's in this game.

I press R2 to hold my breath and that damned axe dude kills me every single time.

What am I doing wrong?

Midou

I started it up a few times on 360 but never made it past the intro sequence, my copy arrived today and I just took a car into town.

Are there events outside of the 'main story' around town? I'm not sure how much of the game is meant to be 'free roam' and whatnot.

I watched Twin Peaks about a year ago and despite the issues in the 2nd season, loved it a lot overall. Certainly get a lot of similar vibes from this.

Taking coffee with milk makes York less cool than Cooper (twin peaks).

LProtag

I keep opening this thread, seeing a reference to Twin Peaks, and then clicking a spoiler thinking the thread is about Twin Peaks.

I'm an idiot. I also need to play this game a lot more.

SmithnCo

done that, doesn't work.

I want to love this game but i'm just not having fun playing it :/

You have to hold it until the prompt goes away. That's what I did with default settings anyway.

Honestly the QTEs, and those in particular, are the worst part.

Bittercup

Are there events outside of the 'main story' around town? I'm not sure how much of the game is meant to be 'free roam' and whatnot.
There are 50 side missions given from the people around town. Then there are the trading cards that can be partly collected during free roaming and mini games like racing, fishing and darts that are necessary if you want to complete 100% of the game.
Especially for the earlier chapters there is much more to do outside the main story.

MBison

Aie.. I just started this for the first time and am having completionist anxiety cause I thought the first few chapters were just linear mission based but now I am realizing that there were side quests to unlock during that time that I never did cause I was just following the main story.

All of this TIME LIMIT stuff is freaking me out.

For instance, on Chapter 4 Profiling they say we have to get to Forest Park by 18:00 to interview witnesses. Can I just do that any day I want by 18:00? Ugh, my linear OCD mind isn't built for free roam. I want to do side quests but am freaking out that I will miss them ;)

Is there any way to tell where these side quest people are or just to keep roaming around forever until you find one?

I'm enjoying the bizarre nature of the game but wow its rough.

Bittercup

For instance, on Chapter 4 Profiling they say we have to get to Forest Park by 18:00 to interview witnesses. Can I just do that any day I want by 18:00? Ugh, my linear OCD mind isn't built for free roam. I want to do side quests but am freaking out that I will miss them ;)

Is there any way to tell where these side quest people are or just to keep roaming around forever until you find one?
Usually time limits are not really limits. If you miss it one day you can just go there the next day, or the day after... :D Everyone will just wait for you.
And you can replay chapters for missed side quests and take that progress over to your main save. So it's not that bad.
If you don't want to miss any side quests without having to replay chapters better use a guide that tells you when you can do which quests. (I used this list http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/faqs/59531 just scroll down to the sidequests).

You can check your map and if a person has a quest for you he/she has a notepad next to his/her name. The people usually aren't hidden and only give you quests if they are in their usual place like workplaces or homes e.g. Lilly won't give you the milk barn quests if she's not in the milk barn so just check for the notepad on your map there.
Only some are tricky because they are only given to you when it's raining or at specific times of the day so they are missable if you don't know when and where you have to look for. And people that give you multiple quests will only give you one per chapter and you have to play a main mission before they will give you the next part.

Senoculum

By far the ugliest game I've played on the PS3... But also the charmiest...

Just completed episode one, but not before completing a whack of side missions. Yes, it's rough (not being able to zoom out of the main map to see this huge ass town is criminal) but I think its comical moments and its unpredictability balances it out.

Will continue this ride and will begin staring at my coffee for any premonitions.

MBison

Ok I am replaying Chapter 2 and completed the Arnold quest and am going to do the other Woodman for the radio.

If I get that, can I just save and then restart Chapter 4 and all is well? or do I have to complete Chapter 2 all over again?

Alfredo

Ok I am replaying Chapter 2 and completed the Arnold quest and am going to do the other Woodman for the radio.

If I get that, can I just save and then restart Chapter 4 and all is well? or do I have to complete Chapter 2 all over again?

You can't save during a replay chapter. You have to finish it, then save to keep your inventory. Luckily, Chapter 2 is pretty short.

Also, if you die during a chapter replay, you lose all your progress in that replay and are booted back to chapter select, since there's no last save to restart on. Flipping your car over doesn't count as a game over, despite it saying "Investigation Failed."

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm done with the game and now nearing the platinum.

I kinda expected *major spoilers*
George to be the killer. I dunno but when his hat fell off in the Art Gallery, I felt that he was the killer. I also had a feeling Kaysen was also involved due to the red saplings. I was hoping Emily would have had a hand in the killings.

Also Thomas going on drag is kinda surprising. Didn't expect that. Didn't expect he's in love with York. lol

Locke_211

I've been finishing the post-game stuff to get the Platinum and grabbing all the final trading cards is a lot quicker and less hassle than I thought it would be.
The Other Worlds have exit points everywhere, the cards you need show up on the map, and you don't have to do any of the door unlockings or chase scenes or anything like that again. You can literally just run straight to the card and then leave.

Though having said that, I went all the way to the end of
the Theatre level and got possible the best weapon ever. The grass cutter rocks!

I rented Swery's previous game on PS2 (Spy Fiction) because I was interested in playing his other games after DP, and I was shocked to see Forrest Kaysen in that game too. Looks exactly the same too, sans the overalls.

Necrovex

just finished the
george fight. i love how he turns into akuma, and then Oni akuma at the second fight. like they gave up trying to be vaguely western and just went full japanese with it

Just imagine the old man telling that part of the story to Emily.

I decided to watch all of the new scenes via Youtube. And just watching it makes me realize why I loved DP's writing so much. And wait, new music too?! If Swery ever releases a sequel, I'll be there day one.

I'm done with the game and now nearing the platinum.

I kinda expected *major spoilers*
George to be the killer. I dunno but when his hat fell off in the Art Gallery, I felt that he was the killer. I also had a feeling Kaysen was also involved due to the red saplings. I was hoping Emily would have had a hand in the killings.

Also Thomas going on drag is kinda surprising. Didn't expect that. Didn't expect he's in love with York. lol

Major Spoiler:
My friend and I joked about George being the killer because of his constant "fuck ups." Then when the reveal happened, I was like "I FUCKING KNEW IT!"

I rented Swery's previous game on PS2 (Spy Fiction) because I was interested in playing his other games after DP, and I was shocked to see Forrest Kaysen in that game too. Looks exactly the same too, sans the overalls.

i love how spy fiction has pretty decent graphics for a 2003 ps2 game *and* runs at 60 fps while deadly premonition is held together with only a single piece of scotch tape

Locke_211

i love how spy fiction has pretty decent graphics for a 2003 ps2 game *and* runs at 60 fps while deadly premonition is held together with only a single piece of scotch tape

From a youtube video of Spy Fiction, the graphics look pretty much the same as DP!

EDIT: Platinumed!

Man despite the some flaws the game is so good. I am total immersed into this world. Even boring fetch quests and super menial tasks aren't even grating me. It just fits into this crazy world. This game just oozes style and charm.

Jenga

Banned
Major Spoiler:
My friend and I joked about George being the killer because of his constant "fuck ups." Then when the reveal happened, I was like "I FUCKING KNEW IT!"

i was actually really impressed with how
they fleshed george out. seriously, i really do think he's one of the better written villains i've seen in a game so far. by the end, he's unredeemable, but they actually did a decent job with his descent into madness. i mean, i'm sure there's a lot of child abuse victims who'd kill for immortality mang

I take back my last post about the amazon code, although it worked, I got some weird suit instead of the field ops suit:

VQgz2rq.jpg

Da fuq? haha

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So... What's the added new scenario?

ULTROS!

i don't think there is one

the pr fact sheet for the director's cut is like 50% lies

they're lucky the game is so charming because otherwise i'd be one pissed off motherfucker

Meh. It's alright. I've never played the game though

Regarding Trading Cards 46-48
will there be random chase scenes in the galaxy of terror, police station, and harry's mansion replay areas or will they be scripted?

I take back my last post about the amazon code, although it worked, I got some weird suit instead of the field ops suit:

VQgz2rq.jpg

Da fuq? haha

I have that costume and I Pre-ordered from GameStop. I think you choose the costume on the game main screen before loading the game. I don't remember the name of the option but it's where you choose the costume of Emily, your car and York's suits.

Locke_211

Meh. It's alright. I've never played the game though

Regarding Trading Cards 46-48
will there be random chase scenes in the galaxy of terror, police station, and harry's mansion replay areas or will they be scripted?

No, those bits are all gone.
No chase scenes or even having to kill all the enemies in a room to open a door sections. They're just normal areas you can run straight through, grab the card and then leave by the nearest exit. It's a lot quicker to do this than you'll be thinking.

ENDING SPOLERS:
It's amazing how after replaying the game you realize that there were a ton of signs indicating George as the killer, the Red Trees in his backyard and at the Sheriff's station just outside his office, plus his licence plate number is something like HESTHE1 "He's the one" and a couple more hints!

Though having said that, I went all the way to the end of
the Theatre level and got possible the best weapon ever. The grass cutter rocks!

Absolutely the best weapon in the whole game, not only it's crazy strong, it's also the only weapon you can use while moving.

He's in love with George, hence the "Love G" tattoo

VQgz2rq.jpg

Da fuq? haha

It looks like it just replaced one of your existing suits with a completely random one unrelated to your preorder. If I'm not mistaken that should be the preorder bonus from another retailer....

This game's code must be one hell of a mess...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Can somebody talk to me about the frame rate? Is it true that its worse?

i don't think there is one

the pr fact sheet for the director's cut is like 50% lies

they're lucky the game is so charming because otherwise i'd be one pissed off motherfucker
Damn. Can you be more specific please?

Top Bottom