• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

My GF got it for me yesterday for me getting a new job, absolutely loving it. It's a great mid-tier-game. Go in expecting that and you'll have a blast. The humor is great, and perfectly dosed. It's a constant waterfall of jokes, they managed to time them well. Not perfect, but good enough.

You, sir, have an awesome gf. Get a ring on that.

A lot of people probably missed some of the best jokes in the game by hitting yes.

In particular, on the part where you stealth kill Sinister, there is a HILARIOUS running gag if you keep saying no.

Also the stuff Deadpool says at the end of the game when you don't puss the button.

Yeah, the bonus dialogue bits at the end of the game were really good. As I'm replaying the game at the moment though I'd have to say my favourite bonus dialogue is still either slapping Wolverine continuously or not pressing any button when Cable is explaining the plot to Deadpool (his crying just cracked me so much!)

About 2.5-3 hours in and I love it. Just a solid, mid-tier game that I'm having a blast with. Game is very funny and the controls, while not great, are manageable.

Mdk7

Hard mode is not just hard, it's often unfair.
The enemies ranged attacks are just too heavy to bear, a couple of average joes can kill you in like 3 seconds with their fucking machine guns.

That said, gameplay wise is nothing special, yet the humor is AMAZING.
Sooo funny, it's a blast to play through.

Finished my run on Ultra-Violence difficulty today for the Platinum Trophy.

Ultimately, I've loved the game. Again, I'm obviously biased, but it's everything I expected of a Deadpool game. Huge congrats to High Moon for the title and despite the name of the Platinum, I won't be selling the game lol..

ElRenoRaven

So beat the game a second time. First was Steam and second was PS3. I have to say this game is downright amazingly awesome. I think I like it even better then High Moon's Transformers games. I couldn't stop laughing. This game just nails the humor of Deadpool without a doubt.

I really really do hope we get another. It's one of my top 3 games this year fun factor wise without a doubt.

GatorBait

Probably going to give this game a shot in the next few months, and I was thinking, if I end up enjoying it, do you guys think giving the "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" game a shot would be worth it too?

eshwaaz

Probably going to give this game a shot in the next few months, and I was thinking, if I end up enjoying it, do you guys think giving the "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" game a shot would be worth it too?
My Deadpool hasn't arrived yet, but I enjoyed X-Men Origins: Wolverine quite a bit at the time. However, I booted it up on a whim a few weeks back, and was surprised by how stiff and mechanical it felt. Still, it's dirt cheap at this point, so probably still worth it. It's also a good 15 hours long, so you'll get a lot of play time out of it.

Tizoc

Wolverine is a pretty good GoW clone-like game. If you can get it on PC, the graphics and frame rate will be better.
...but overall it's among Raven studios' best games.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Hard mode is not just hard, it's often unfair.
The enemies ranged attacks are just too heavy to bear, a couple of average joes can kill you in like 3 seconds with their fucking machine guns.

That said, gameplay wise is nothing special, yet the humor is AMAZING.
Sooo funny, it's a blast to play through.

Couldn't agree more. I loved the game's writing and humor, but hated that last section where they just throw seemingly endless waves of enemies at you, then show a cutscene, then throw seemingly endless waves of an enemy at you. It felt cheap to me. If I wanted to play horde mode I'd have played something else.

Mdk7

Just beat it on hard... my god, it feels like a true achievement to me, the game gets SO unbalanced at times.

Aske

Been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers, but I finally had a chance to play a decent chunk of this game. It's spectacular.

Plays like last-gen Bloodrayne, which is no bad thing for a budget hack 'n slash. There's enough meat to chew on to keep the combat engaging, but no finesse or subtlety. Love the balance between swords, guns and grenades; enjoying the upgrade system; and I think the healing works well. You have to keep an eye on the health bar, and you can't eat bullets, so you're forced to juggle ranged attacks with melee and make use of your arsenal.

Just finished the first job, but I've seen enough to recommend this to anyone who wants an amusing character action game with sweet PS2 feels set in the Marvel universe. Well worth the $50.

legbone

Just beat it on hard... my god, it feels like a true achievement to me, the game gets SO unbalanced at times.

you're not kidding. i'm on the last level and the one right before it was a real pain in the ass. currently i'm stuck on the three fat guys section. it seems like the checkpoints get further apart as the game goes on. that or it's just because i wasn't dying as often early on. anyway, still one of my favorite games this year. been a good year for fun actions games with this, dmc (i loved the new dmc), and metal gear solid revengeance (only played the demo but i can see where it could be fun). sure this doesn't match up to the production values of dmc but i'll be damned if it's not a more fun story.

Mdk7

you're not kidding. i'm on the last level and the one right before it was a real pain in the ass. currently i'm stuck on the three fat guys section. it seems like the checkpoints get further apart as the game goes on. that or it's just because i wasn't dying as often early on. anyway, still one of my favorite games this year. been a good year for fun actions games with this, dmc (i loved the new dmc), and metal gear solid revengeance (only played the demo but i can see where it could be fun). sure this doesn't match up to the production values of dmc but i'll be damned if it's not a more fun story.

I loved DmC as well, by far the best action game of the year (and surely among the best of the generation).
For the three fat motherfuckers, use traps + shotgun to the head while locked.

But i warn you, the real "fun" is yet to come... expect the worst in the upcoming minutes buddy. :D
If you need any help, i'm here!
M.

ArjanN

Been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers, but I finally had a chance to play a decent chunk of this game. It's spectacular.

Plays like last-gen Bloodrayne, which is no bad thing for a budget hack 'n slash. There's enough meat to chew on to keep the combat engaging, but no finesse or subtlety. Love the balance between swords, guns and grenades; enjoying the upgrade system; and I think the healing works well. You have to keep an eye on the health bar, and you can't eat bullets, so you're forced to juggle ranged attacks with melee and make use of your arsenal.

Just finished the first job, but I've seen enough to recommend this to anyone who wants an amusing character action game with sweet PS2 feels set in the Marvel universe. Well worth the $50.

I agree with all of this, was reminded of Bloodrayne 2 as well.

Tizoc

Just
saved Rogue, and uh...unless Deadpool really is a good kisser, she took a lot more than healing factor.
Saying no to killing Sinister was hilarious tho.
Apparently this stage has a trophy that is unlocked by never countering? Am I to assume this is for all enemies except the boss?

Just
saved Rogue, and uh...unless Deadpool really is a good kisser, she took a lot more than healing factor.
Saying no to killing Sinister was hilarious tho.
Apparently this stage has a trophy that is unlocked by never countering? Am I to assume this is for all enemies except the boss?

I was unsure of the boss as well, so I just used the Stun Grenades.

Just be careful with that teleporter!

Just beat this game and holy shit the end was hard (or I suck at games.) I betting on a combination of the two. This game makes me want to check of Way's run of the comic.

Did anyone preorder the game from gamestop and get the wallpaper? I threw my receipt away before I downloaded it. Also, if anyone has the pc version or a capture card, could you possibly screen cap the image at the end
where Cable gives Deadpool the thumbs up
?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just beat this game and holy shit the end was hard (or I suck at games.) I betting on a combination of the two. This game makes me want to check of Way's run of the comic.

Did anyone preorder the game from gamestop and get the wallpaper? I threw my receipt away before I downloaded it. Also, if anyone has the pc version or a capture card, could you possibly screen cap the image at the end
where Cable gives Deadpool the thumbs up
?

There are only a few arcs that are worth reading, all of them near the beginning. Dark Reign, Magnum Opus and the X-Men Team-up. Those are all amazingly funny, especially Dark Reign. Holy crap I died like 4 times during that arc. The game's writing was quality and felt more like one of those arcs than his latter work on the character.

The game itself is really fun. It doesn't take itself seriously, it's easy to play and get good at and never lets anything overstay it's welcome. It's not going to be a GOTY contender, but it's definitely the sort of thing I would recommend to a friend looking for something fun to play.

MechDX

I love how
the game "ended" and you get an achievement. Then a few minutes later you get another achievement for continuing. LOL. But damn the floating platforming segments near the end are a bitch!

SmithnCo

Beat it a couple days ago, it was pretty good dumb fun. Kinda wish the sewers didn't drag on for that long but there was some good gags there.

The final battle was kinda tricky but satisfying for a game with a relatively simple combat system. I'll probably try to mop up all the trophies soon.

ElRenoRaven

I love how
the game "ended" and you get an achievement. Then a few minutes later you get another achievement for continuing. LOL. But damn the floating platforming segments near the end are a bitch!

Yea I'd say those are my least favorite area of the game. The jumping just isn't very good for platforming.

Aske

Just finished. What a ride.

Loved the enemy variety, and the surprising level of depth to the combat when all your abilities are unlocked. I can't think of a single sub-DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta-tier action game with combat this good. I'd even rank Deadpool's combat higher than God of War, though due to lack of polish that's probably a controversial opinion. But I found myself doing so much more with Deadpool's tools than I ever did with Kratos'. Everything is balanced so well: the upgrades, the combo system (hit hard and survive, or use long combos for upgrade points), the diversity and designs of the enemy types, melee/ranged attacks, juggles...Even the handful of 'gimmicky' portions of gameplay are legitimately fun. Also: stealth kills!

I was also surprised and delighted to find that every single weapon was both useful and fun. Of three melee weapons and five pairs of guns, only the handguns became somewhat superfluous as the others levelled up, but even then they're occasionally useful to fall back on.

The game is consistently hilarious, with plenty of fan service. Really can't recommend it enough. Go in expecting something akin to a Suda51 game, and be pleasantly surprised when Deadpool delivers far more than you expected.

What's the difference between graphics on High vs Extra? Just based on looking at the main menu it looks like Extra adds FXAA? Anything else? If that's it then I'd prefer to leave it on high and inject SMAA.

Toppot

Just finished this game, brilliant! I'm not familiar with Deadpool but the game was very funny, combat is good enough, levels mixed it up if a little bland sometimes. Just a fun game to play. Loved the extra characters and the mini games and side bits of levels.

I found the different weapons mostly useless, you an get though with the normal blades leveled up, I also feel it messed having collectables going throughout the game, like finding Deadpool merchandise. Difficultly just spike a lot at the end of the last level, jesus, felt rewarding to do it though,

I'd recommend it to anyone that wants a fun hack and slash game with a good dollop of humour.

NTom64

Finished it last night, basically playing it from start to finish.

Haven't played such a sloppy, mismanaged game in a while. The last level is atrociously unbalanced and I ended up just running through it and brute forcing my way to check points.
Up until then it was just tedious, but that level sent it from a mediocre game to a terrible one for me. Gameplay was OK, but again balance was an issue. Too many enemies, far too much padding for what is essentially a barebones story and a handful of locations to fight in. And weirdly enough, sometimes you can just skip sections which are clearly laid out as "destroy this enemy to continue" areas.. And vice versa, sometimes an empty room can be filled with guards and locked doors in a matter of seconds.

Humour-wise, some of it was OK, but the crass, juvenile moments far outweighed the witty, well written stuff. I know some of that is part of Deadpool's character and that's fine, but it came off as desperation to me. The pay off to the
bouncy castle
was hilarious though.

Overall, if you want an action game, I'd recommend Metal Gear Rising. Better soundtrack, better gameplay, and it doesn't feel like stretching a four hour game into a 7 hour slogfest.

ElRenoRaven

Glad to see the game still getting some love. It's slowed off a lot but it's still one of my favorite games this year so far for me it's right there behind Bioshock and Last of Us enjoyment wise for me so far.

Good lord is this game unbalanced at times. I'm currently getting slaughtered by
the three Marauder clones near the end of the game.

I had a lot of trouble with the end game until I started playing it like a shooter with the dual smgs.

That's been my strategy, but big open areas and Gambit clones are fucking evil. Best bet is to lure enemies in to a closed off area so no one can shoot you from a distance.

Definitely luring to a closed area for those sort of battles.

For the
three Marauder clones near the end of the game
I found that the traps and mines worked wonders.

Top Bottom