• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

legbone

Streamed the pc version a bit. http://www.twitch.tv/slasherjpc/b/421793888

As for Deadpool, man this game is one of THE funniest I've ever played!

thanks. think i'm going to have to wait until that one is much cheaper. i've heard it will be 20 at gamestop tomorrow. still too much from what i've seen. and i'm one that usually buys games day one regardless of price. it looks really bad. but maybe good for a 10 dollar drunken evening.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
PC version runs great. Not that it's that hard of a game to run, and the graphics options are minimal, but it still runs and looks good.

eorl

Banned
When a game makes me enjoy running around the very first entry level trying to find every little object to interact with, I know its a good game. Absolutely loving it so far and the fourth wall humour is just awesome.

I actually feared that it may have been a bit too much and caused the humour to be lacking, but so far it has been one helluva fun ride. Only problem I've had so far is the controls on PC, somewhat clunky but a simple change from the default U key (as use and reload) to R and changing teleport to C makes everything better.

I heartily recommend this for any comic book fan, especially on PC for its very cheap price of $30.

Oh my god, THIS GAME. Not exaggerating when I say the laughs I've had just from the first hour, like exploring the apartment and then the first 'mission' are more than really any game I've ever played. I can't think of anything better. Saint's Row 3 was pretty funny, Bulletstorm had some funny dialogue. Deadpool takes it to another level we haven't seen in games before, probably because the source material allows the writers to really demolish the fourth wall.

Anyway, besides that the gameplay is a ton of fun. The camera takes a bit getting used to but if you move the sensitivity up 2 notches it gets a little easier to control. There's also the lock-on with LT you can do if things get too hectic. It's still not good but it's not game-breaking and the combat is so fun and satisfying it doesn't really matter.

I'm regretting starting the game on the easiest difficulty as I haven't come close to dying yet but it was only the first mission so who knows. Still think I should've started on "Veteran", which is the normal diff. Is there a new game+? Do these upgrades carry over? If so that would be awesome, there's a ton of shit to upgrade, several weapons with quite a few upgrades each.

When a game makes me enjoy running around the very first entry level trying to find every little object to interact with, I know its a good game. Absolutely loving it so far and the fourth wall humour is just awesome.
Dude, I had to bold + underline that. I love that feeling!!! You know it's gonna be a good game when you scour the area and interact with the prompts multiple times. I waited for him to say everything when on the toilet, I washed his hands 4-5 times, waited for all the lines when taking a nap, etc.

Speaking of the apartment, I also got stuck on 13/14 points of interest. Either they forgot to label one of the prompts (ex: checking out the weapons didn't give +1) or it's a troll.

But yeah, if you're on the fence I'd pick it up! Even if the game's 6 or 7 hours it's still only $30-40 on PC. I have a feeling this will be one of my favorite campaigns of the whole year if it keeps up at this quality with the great humor and action. Haven't even seen any cameos yet.

Niiiice! Come to think of it, I remember seeing a "Reset Upgrades" option in the main menu.

E: Just read your lengthy write-up on the combat and game in general, GuardianE. Really good stuff!

MechDX

Speaking of the apartment, I also got stuck on 13/14 points of interest. Either they forgot to label one of the prompts (ex: checking out the weapons didn't give +1) or it's a troll.

I was wondering if I was the only one. lol

Game is awesome but I had to send the kids out of the room.

Tizoc

Well I read the trophy list and saw that there was a trophy for beating the game on Normal so I started in that. I did get killed mainly because I went all rambo on the gunsmen who are pretty annoying haha.

Also you prob. missed the fridge; just keep drinking til DP says he has had enough.

Trike

The game is pretty funny, but Deadpool is more like stereotypical Deadpool instead of well written Deadpool. Daniel Way had his moments in the comics, but not my favorite Deadpool writer by far. The game is still pretty fun though.

Also holy shit @ GuardianE. Of course the guy with the Dante avatar instantly masters the entire game system. GuardianE is the master of stylish action with melee/gun gameplay CONFIRMED.

I'm pretty sure I did the fridge one. He says, paraphrasing "stop with the beer, my cellular regeneration won't let me get drunk". That was the last one, right?

13 out of 14:

fridge
tv
dog
nap
internets
pizza
pancakes
toilet
sink
blow-up doll
the big cupboard he picks up
costumes hanging next to bed
air guitar

What am I missing?

Unrelated: I like the detail on DP when he's taken a lot of damage. The costume gets ripped and you see layers of his skin off and then it regenerates.

I'm pretty sure I did the fridge one. He says, paraphrasing "stop with the beer, my cellular regeneration won't let me get drunk". That was the last one, right?

13 out of 14:

fridge
tv
dog
nap
internets
pizza
pancakes
toilet
sink
blow-up doll
the big cupboard he picks up
costumes hanging next to bed
air guitar

What am I missing?

Unrelated: I like the detail on DP when he's taken a lot of damage. The costume gets ripped and you see layers of his skin off and then it regenerates.

Think you missed making 2 calls on his phone

Nolan call then Pizza call, right? Hmm maybe it was the fridge then, I'll try again. Thinking about restarting on normal diff anyway.

Think for me he called Nolan and then High Moon studios hotline.

Could also make sure you used the sink as well as the toilet since they both gave me completion points towards the trophy.

Cant remember much else I did that's not on the list you posted though. I don't think the costume closet gave me any completion points.

Acorn

Completed it, I should never have paid £30 for it. But I really quite enjoyed it, a few genuinely laugh out loud moments and the gameplay was solid if unspectacular. Although there was some places it was a bit spammy.

Completed it, I should never have paid £30 for it. But I really quite enjoyed it, a few genuinely laugh out loud moments and the gameplay was solid if unspectacular. Although there was some places it was a bit spammy.

I spammed the light -> heavy combo through the whole game. I wanted to try other combos but near the end of the game all of the enemies block, and this is the only block breaking combo to my knowledge. So I kinda hated that but after that the game's combat was pretty fun. The only things that hurt it is the gunmen and enemies blocking all the time.

JohngPR

Nolan call then Pizza call, right? Hmm maybe it was the fridge then, I'll try again. Thinking about restarting on normal diff anyway.

How about the
washer, the stove, or all the cupboards? Don't know if any of those count.

Sats

Banned
Just finished it. That was spectacular from beginning to end. It was so extremely faithful to the character, I loved it. I'm such a Deadpool fan.

The level with Death was the best one.

Finished it earlier, absolutely brilliant game. Truly great justice to the character and simply excellent fun. Great work from High Moon Studios.

Anyone on the fence needs to grab it. Such a great title.

legbone

damn. tracking is showing this is sitting at my local post office. unfortunately my mailman delivers early in the morning so he has already picked up everything on my route. so it's just going to sit there until tomorrow. i'm going by today to see if they will give it to me directly. if they don't i'm going to go all hotline miami on their asses. here's hoping i don't make the news. just kidding. but it will really suck for it to just sit there until tomorrow.

Volcynika

Finished it earlier, absolutely brilliant game. Truly great justice to the character and simply excellent fun. Great work from High Moon Studios.

Anyone on the fence needs to grab it. Such a great title.

You seem biased though! :p

Couldn't download it on Steam yesterday due to my internet going to hell, so hopefully I can play it after work today.

Cheddahz

Banned
thanks. think i'm going to have to wait until that one is much cheaper. i've heard it will be 20 at gamestop tomorrow. still too much from what i've seen. and i'm one that usually buys games day one regardless of price. it looks really bad. but maybe good for a 10 dollar drunken evening.

Wait, it's going to be 20 bucks tomorrow?

Karak

I love how they presented the winner of this contest.

Ya I was laughing out loud the entire time. So stoked to see everyone enjoying it. I am also loving that people enjoyed walking around his squalid pad as I put it in the review. The little bits in the home ground the rest of the game.

Ok seriously, avoid Toys R Us for pre ordering games. At least shipping them out. Now my order is listed as "Special Order: Awaiting Inventory"

I guess it's on me, since I wanted to save a few bucks and not drive a total of an hour out of my way to go to a TrU. It's not THAT far from where I live, but it's in a very heavily congested area, and that makes driving through that area a chore. Free shipping made it a lock...but now I am kicking myself in the buns. Might just have to make a call or two...

The thing that gets me is that despite all my love for the guy, Deadpool just doesn't have the draw of larger games. I couldn't imagine the horror of doing a big bidget AAA game through them. I guess that's why they are called Toys R Us, and nothing about vidja games.

i've heard it will be 20 at gamestop tomorrow.

Can this be confirmed? I might just cancel my TrU order and go with this if so..

[EDIT]: I spoke to a friend who worked at at GS (don't know why I didn't think to sooner), and he said he didn't see anything in their daiy emails. He is openin tomorrow though, and said he would update me then. I, in turn, shall do the same here.

ElRenoRaven

Ok seriously, avoid Toys R Us for pre ordering games. At least shipping them out. Now my order is listed as "Special Order: Awaiting Inventory"

I guess it's on me, since I wanted to save a few bucks and not drive a total of an hour out of my way to go to a TrU. It's not THAT far from where I live, but it's in a very heavily congested area, and that makes driving through that area a chore. Free shipping made it a lock...but now I am kicking myself in the buns. Might just have to make a call or two...

The thing that gets me is that despite all my love for the guy, Deadpool just doesn't have the draw of larger games. I couldn't imagine the horror of doing a big bidget AAA game through them. I guess that's why they are called Toys R Us, and nothing about vidja games.

Can this be confirmed? I might just cancel my TrU order and go with this if so..

Yea I learned with TWD that TRU is a joke. I'll never go through them again.

NotLiquid

Okay, reviews aside, going from the impressions here I'm very excited for the game right now. A friend of mine offered to buy the game off of Amazon for my birthday so I hope to see it on Friday. A weekend party with Deadpool would be fucking radical.

Okay, reviews aside, going from the impressions here I'm very excited for the game right now. A friend of mine offered to buy the game off of Amazon for my birthday so I hope to see it on Friday. A weekend party with Deadpool would be fucking radical.

That's basically what it will be, a great weekend of fun gaming. You'll probably finish it by the end of the weekend and either be done with it or play new game+ on a higher diff. There really isn't another game with this type of style save for (I'm guessing) something like Lollipop Chainsaw. In terms of a western game with this style it's the only one.

Cheddahz

Banned

[EDIT]: I spoke to a friend who worked at at GS (don't know why I didn't think to sooner), and he said he didn't see anything in their daiy emails. He is openin tomorrow though, and said he would update me then. I, in turn, shall do the same here.
Yes, if you hear anything tomorrow about it, let us know! I wouldn't mind paying $20 for this game

legbone

sorry for the confusion guys. the $20 game i was referring to is the ride to hell game that was mentioned by slasher thrasher. not deadpool.

as for my copy, it came in the mail today. yay! about to eat some lunch, then settle in for some deadpool hijinks.

Tizoc

Just beat Stage 2
What's up with killing all the ladies villains? Bitch slapping Wolverine was sooooo fun tho
Also managed to nail the jump cancel trick haha, it's much easier for me to just do:
Square>Tri>Mash X then Square

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh well, I give up - going to finish playing through since that'll take less time than figuring out how to beat the FPS limit.

Edit: emailed the devs about it. Worth a shot... even if the address is for the Transformers game, lol

JohngPR

Oh well, I give up - going to finish playing through since that'll take less time than figuring out how to beat the FPS limit.

Edit: emailed the devs about it. Worth a shot... even if the address is for the Transformers game, lol

Yep, that's what gave me the idea to try the Transformers decrytor thing. :p

I changed a few things and couldn't get the framerate to unlock. I also turned on High Poly characters, but not sure if it made a difference since I haven't played the game much beforehand to make a comparison. I will say the game looks a lot better visually now, not sure if that's just a coincidence.

Top Bottom