• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

GHG

Gold Member
Something I'm finding really frustrating about this game is BB's arm thing, whatever it's called. It detects the BT's, but you're supposed to crouch to avoid making noise when they're around, and if you have cargo on your back, then it totally blocks the arm thing so you can't even see where it's pointing to. Am I missing something obvious here?

Press R3 to swap the side of the camera so you can see.

Edit: beaten above, hadn't refreshed the page in a while, sorry.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We had some unexpected expenses this month, and we bought a new bed. But my gf suprised me this afternoon with DS. She noticed I was reading up about it here, so she bought it for me. Installing as we speak.

I will give her some attention later :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Might want to give her attention through the installation process, there will be no putting the game down other than sleep (if you don’t have Monster Energy Drink, Monster, Unleash The Beast!)

It all makes sense now. That addictive gameplay arch, needing Monster to keep going. Kojima, you Mad-Hardman.

Last edited:

Wink

Damn so what's up with the bad reviews? Going through this thread I see nothing but positivity and praise. I kind of want to buy it now too.
There are reviews like this too. The OT is usually where people who like the game will talk most about it. The bad reviews are in so far legit that if you play this game impatiently because it bores you, you will have a bad time. But you will only know if it engages you if you play it and find out for yourself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Damn so what's up with the bad reviews? Going through this thread I see nothing but positivity and praise. I kind of want to buy it now too.

All 2 or so out of 75+?

14 mixed. 67 positive.

It has far more good than bad. Game is addictive as hell to me.

L7bo0WU.png

Last edited:
Got about 14 and a half hours in with it so far.....i'd give it a 7/10 so far. Its a good game with some really annoying parts and at.times the execution is bad.

Im hoping it gets better. Gonna play all day today and tomorrow

-Arcadia-

Banned

I think something that goes under the radar when you have IGN, Edge, and whatever the small outlet that gave it a 3 was, is that there actually were a number of very positive reviews.

I agree that those reviews caused such a furor, it seemed like anything but.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Leaving Konami and Metal Gear behind ended up being the best outcome for Kojima. This is one of the most creative and original games I’ve played in a long time.
EviLore likes it, that sealed the deal, I must play this game. Pretty much all the player impressions seems to be really positive.

vpance

I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure the tutorial text said that when I was in the rain. Unless it was talking about a specific situation I just didn't notice.

Repair spray works while in the rain but it's just less effective. Had to use like 6 cans worth to keep my stuff intact on the way to Port Knot.

Jasagna

Neo Member
Played about 5 hours. It's solid. Right now it feels like a 7.5/10.
Gorgeous game for sure, just concerned about how engaging the gameplay will be 20 hours in.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Ok, maybe I didn't pay attention as I'm a bit tired lately, but how do you get the bike?
I've seen a broken bike outside a post, is that something I need to repair first?

Alright Sam is tired. Time for a shit, piss and a shower than save.

Every single time. Lol

Kagero

Gold Member
After playing the game. I actually don’t understand how people would score the game low. Mind you, I’m only a couple hours in, but nothing I’ve played this year feels as polished as this. I’m actually quite perplexed by the bad reviews. GOTY for me so far by a long shot. But things could change as I’m early on :p

vpance

There are reviews like this too. The OT is usually where people who like the game will talk most about it. The bad reviews are in so far legit that if you play this game impatiently because it bores you, you will have a bad time. But you will only know if it engages you if you play it and find out for yourself.

I think most of the people that hate it already made up their minds in the first 8 hours, which tells you a lot about their level of patience.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Was up til 3am playing last night now back on it. I love how polished everything is in this game. Holograms are meticulously over designed and make what used to be Power Point presentations into this trippy colorful futuristic tech magic.

Haha it’s funny the closest Metal Gear to this might be Survive. It’s cool u can tell Kojima is including stuff from various games people have made but synthesizing it all into a thing distinctly his.

SLB1904

Banned
Ok, maybe I didn't pay attention as I'm a bit tired lately, but how do you get the bike?
I've seen a broken bike outside a post, is that something I need to repair first?

Every single time. Lol

you have to build a generator. but dont worry soon u will start printing them.

by the way i stole one of the mule trucks. now im carrying lots of material. need to build raods.

i looks so good.

Wink

It's out of juice. You will be able to build something to charge it eventually.
I think most of the people that hate it already made up their minds in the first 8 hours, which tells you a lot about their level of patience.
Yeah, it's kind of a vicious cycle. If you don't find it engaging you will not play it attentively and if you don't play it attentively it's really frustrating. On the opposite side if you are drawn into the world and systems it's incredible. Many of the criticisms I've heard from reviewers are the things that I love about it. I hate to put it this bluntly, but it's the same as The Last Guardian was, if you don't understand or want to understand how it plays and why it does what it does it will be a miserable experience. And to a certain extent that's fair enough, it might simply not be your cup of tea, fine. What I find shameful is people like Dan from Giant Bomb being juvenile about it and calling it ass or fucking sucks. You really have to have a very narrow viewpoint to not be able to see its merits and that it will clearly speak to a lot of people. And you must be an outright bad reviewer if you can't judge objectively that it is well designed for what it's going for.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's out of juice. You will be able to build something to charge it eventually.

Yeah, it's kind of a vicious cycle. If you don't find it engaging you will not play it attentively and if you don't play it attentively it's really frustrating. On the opposite side if you are drawn into the world and systems it's incredible. Many of the criticisms I've heard from reviewers are the things that I love about it. I hate to put it this bluntly, but it's the same as The Last Guardian was, if you don't understand or want to understand how it plays and why it does what it does it will be a miserable experience. And to a certain extent that's fair enough, it might simply not be your cup of tea, fine. What I find shameful is people like Dan from Giant Bomb being juvenile about it and calling it ass or fucking sucks. You really have to have a very narrow viewpoint to not be able to see its merits and that it will clearly speak to a lot of people. And you must be an outright bad reviewer if you can't judge objectively that it is well designed for what it's going for.

I think this game will expose a lot of that kind of thing. The Edge non-review, for example, is absolutely ridiculous.

To be clear, I'm not against mature, thoughtful, and intelligent criticism at all. Quite the contrary. We just don't get enough of it, in comparison to juvenile, knee-jerk hot takes with a side of trend-following.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

I literally picked the worst possible weekend to take a trip and chill, didn’t I?

I got 6 or so hours into the game last night, and now I’m “stuck” 600 miles away from home, when all I want to do is get back into it. Lesson learned.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I really love this game. Every time anyone said “it’s a shame you shoot all these people” in Bioshock Infinite or Tomb Raider instead of focusing on world building. Well this game fully takes on that challenge.

Building the world is the game! Players interactions w the environment leave paths, roads are built, structures, I wonder what it will all look like in 5 years? Or 10???

It’s always a shame that those games are so destructive, Lara can not interact with an ancient temple without leaving it in ruins, Booker having the most nihilist destructive fate a hero can have.

This game is an antidote to that nihilism. We are not tearing things down, we are building them up. Winning not through glorified violence but through helping one another with hard honest manual labour (quite literally one of the only real things in the game world).

It’s quite ambitious. Call Kojima pretentious if u want but u cannot debt that he goes all in on his art. *chefs kiss*

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I'm hooked. I wasn't sure in the first couple of hours, but now that I'm 6 hours in (still episode 2) and figuring out the various systems, I'm really enjoying it. Still some weird stuff with the lore and setting that I'm not sure about, but the gameplay loop is a lot of fun and it just feels good to play. Definitely seems like this is amounting to something really special.

Sony needs to implement Dolby Atmos support. This game would be awesome with it. Just started and the rain effects alone would be awesome to hear from my overhead speakers.

switched the PS4 from LPCM to Dolby and my receiver is up scaling to Atmos. Will work for now.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Building the world is the game! Players interactions w the environment leave paths, roads are built, structures, I wonder what it will all look like in 5 years? Or 10???

I'm curious about that myself. With roads and bridges being constructed, it's possible that we could see highways and bridges running through the entire game, every trouble spot taken care of.

That game wouldn't be very much fun to play though, and would have a much different atmosphere.

I'm wondering if they're going to have the timefalls damage structures over time, as a method of balance? So, yeah, we maybe see players working hard to maintain some safe routes, but others fall into disrepair, and the game retains its identity.

I'm only at the beginning and i liked what i played, the topography is great, i think its the first game with real life scale to the world. And the way Sam is controling and moving has this tactile feeling, dunno how to describe it, its cool in other words.

But, man, the exposition the characters are spouting is fucking obnoxious and downright insulting. I thought the game is rated M, why the fuck Kojima treats his players like brainless children?

The most grating example is
when you drive with CD guys in a truck and this Igor character starts telling Sam about the world, how it was before Death Stranding, what is the role of the porters in the world now etc etc as if Sam is from another planet or smth. And all of this just to make sure the player woudnt get lost in the plot

If you have Codex in your game then relegate all kinds if lore to this place instead of sacrificing the believability of your characters with obnoxious awkward exposition.

I'm scratching my head why he doesn't understand this and nobody in his team doesn't either it seems.

I cant remember the last game or movie where it was so in your face.

I understood that there's a lot of people in that world that never knew how things where before the DS started happening, and as Sam looks younger than Igor I guess he assumed that Sam didn't had to see the normal world, and also he is a hermit.

I'm curious about that myself. With roads and bridges being constructed, it's possible that we could see highways and bridges running through the entire game, every trouble spot taken care of.

That game wouldn't be very much fun to play though, and would have a much different atmosphere.

I'm wondering if they're going to have the timefalls damage structures over time, as a method of balance? So, yeah, we maybe see players working hard to maintain some safe routes, but others fall into disrepair, and the game retains its identity.

Timefall does indeed damage structures and people must keep em repaired.

The Road doesn't run through the harder locations of the game, and there are limitations on the number of structures people can place, based on the network bandwidth. I don't know how it works for a player with minimal connected facilities versus one with everything connected, but i suppose if there is something placed on a location that you haven't connected, you either won't see it at all, or it will be unusable for you.

Last edited:
I broke down, and immediately bought the game right after reading some of your opinions lol
I rarely buy full price games, last time I remember was...well, not less than a year ago, but I wanted to follow my heart and dip into DS
Six hours in, and I smell it could be one of my favourite games ever on ps4, I usually feel it almost immediately and it's rare I change opinion drastically toward the end

One fast thing that I want to write for the ones who still haven't bought the game: I realized it's impossible to understand the feeling this game delivers, without trying it, it's a totally different experience when you play it, different from what opinions and reviews can say, It feels awesome

In synthesis: if you want a movie class plot, a relaxing ( Well, for the most part ) game, a great game design, and an astounding sound design, with characters as good as the good ol' MGS era, Well...I have good news for you

I'm still six hours in, so this could be initial hype, but I've gone from hyper skeptical ( I heavily criticized the game in some past threads, especially after TGS ) to an instant lover, Cupid definitely hit me with his arrow lol

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Realized my BB is damaged, had to open it up and glue it back together... not great for 200 euro. But what do I expect from Gamestop!

Bryank75

Banned
I broke out, and immediately bought the game right after reading some of your opinions lol
I rarely buy full price games, last time I remember was...well, not less than a year ago, but I wanted to follow my heart and dip into DS
Six hours in, and I smell it could be one of my favourite games ever on ps4, I usually feel it almost immediately and it's rare I change opinion drastically toward the end

One fast thing that I want to write for the ones who still haven't bought the game: I realized it's impossible to understand the feeling this game delivers, without trying it, it's a totally different experience when you play it, different from what opinions and reviews can say, It feels awesome

In synthesis: if you want a movie class plot, a relaxing ( Well, for the most part ) game, a great game design, and an astounding sound design, with characters as good as the good ol' MGS era, Well...I have a good news for you

I'm still six hours in, so this could be initial hype, but I've gone from hyper skeptical ( I heavily criticized the game in some past threads, especially after TGS ) to an instant lover, Cupid definitely hit me with his arrow lol
Great to see you're enjoying it. I'm loving it too but I hope it keeps the momentum going.
That said, I felt MGSV was not great with pacing and it still got excellent scores....
I really have a hard time wrapping my head around the few bad scores.

Top Bottom