• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Wink

Great to see you're enjoying it. I'm loving it too but I hope it keeps the momentum going.
That said, I felt MGSV was not great with pacing and it still got excellent scores....
I really have a hard time wrapping my head around the few bad scores.
MGSV used a language people generally understand and had such great and fluid gameplay that it was hard to deny for people who play a lot of games that it was something special.
Death Stranding does not have this advantage. It really turns the usual idea of an open world AAA game on its head with its idea of peaceful gameplay. And then the things that people do expect from a Kojima game, the stealth and combat, is not very strong so while the game uses these things to put up challenges, it doesn't do so in a traditional form. It's not about mastering combat or BT sections, it's about avoiding them. I'm hesitant to call them intentionally bad, but they were clearly not the focus of it. Expectations played a huge part and I think it's starting to become pretty obvious that they coloured the view of the bad reviews more than the good ones. The Stevivor one clearly had an axe to grind with Kojima, the Giant Bomb guy who dropped it after 8 hours cause it fucking sucks is a self proclaimed Kojima fanboy... There are legit criticisms and I can see some reviewers not quite thinking it deserves an 8, but to be hateful towards it is simply small minded.

Last edited:
Great to see you're enjoying it. I'm loving it too but I hope it keeps the momentum going.
That said, I felt MGSV was not great with pacing and it still got excellent scores....
I really have a hard time wrapping my head around the few bad scores.

Absolutely, I usually Am unlucky with impulse buying, but this time I've been really, really lucky

Thanks to everyone who suggested me the game!

Nobody here is saying someone has to be super smart / a member of mensa or something to appreciate the game, you just can't be as stupid as some of these reviewers...

I had the impression some of them didn't play / complete the game either, 'cause most of the things some of them said simply aren' t true

IGN pointed out that this game never says where to go, for example, and we have like 3-4 ways to know the route lol

Bryank75

Banned
I had the impression some of them didn't play / complete the game either, 'cause most of the things some of them said simply aren' t true

IGN pointed out that this game never says where to go, for example, and we have like 3-4 ways to know the route lol
Yeah, there were a few things he said that were factually incorrect... I don't expect good reviews from IGN though.

Saw this a minute ago!

Last edited:

Wink

Major major problem i have with this game are the text sizes.
I have a 65 inch tv and cant read shit.
In the system menu of your PS4 there are Accessibility Options. Mark the Zoom option in there. Now you can press home button and square to zoom in, move around the screen with the stick and go back to gameplay by pressing circle. It's not an ideal fix and it doesn't pause the game, but it somewhat alleviates the problem.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I... think I love this game. The imagery, symbolism and music is amazing. You really have to just let it all flow and not let the weirdness pull you out of it.

It really does come together to form a really compelling experience unlike one I've had before in a game.

Just got the ability to charge the bike, and damn, I love how this thing controls.

Also, I'm playing the Japanese version, but the voice actor for Diehardman is Akio Otsuka, who has been the voice actor for Snake in the Metal Gear series since the beginning and he sounds just like him in this game. It's fucking awesome to basically be getting all of my tutorial stuff and mission briefings from Snake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fake

Gold Member
Hey guys. I back and happy to saying I'm really enjoying the game. I never played a game like that before. Loved exploring the world and trying to cheat the mechanics while interact with online features. Thx if anyone here already help me in the game by left some gears in the way. Really appreciate

ONE REALLY FRIENDLY REMINDER: BECAUSE YOUTUBE algorithm are shit, even if you watch the trailer of this game, review, logged into google account or even watch some tech analyzes, YOUTUBE WILL SUGEST ENDING AS SPOILERS. BECAREFUL, unless you really want to see every spoiler in the game.

Bye. Happy limbo.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Hey guys. I back and happy to saying I'm really enjoying the game. I never played a game like that. Loved exploring and trying to cheat the mechanics while interact with online features.

ONE REALLY FRIENDLY REMINDER: BECAUSE YOUTUBE algorithm are shit, even if you watch the trailer of this game, review, are logged into google account or even wathc some tech analyzes, YOUTUBE WILL SUGEST ENDING AS SPOILERS. BECAREFUL, unless you really want to see every spoiler in the game.

Bye.
you dont want to see all endings in 4k?

Jtibh

Banned
Just my opinion but IMO the ideal viewing distance for a 65" is much closer than that. I find like 9-10 feet to be the sweet spot, I've never had trouble reading text on my screen.
Hard to do in a bigger living room but i know what you mean

vpance

16 feet.

Not sure if its cuz of 4k and text is smaller like on pc s.

Yeah I could see it being hard to read at 16ft. To me it doesn't seem much worse than other games. At that distance ideally you'd want to be at 75" or more.. IMO.

the stealth combat can be as fun as MGS too! really lovely game.

Definitely. Having come from just finishing the main story in AC:Odyssey (maybe not the best comparison), but I took those MULEs down no problem with rope every time so far. Or just let it rain and went in and stole back everything (they took from other players) from the post box while they hid in their tents, and used the Metal to build a bridge.

It really does come together to form a really compelling experience unlike one I've had before in a game.

Just got the ability to charge the bike, and damn, I love how this thing controls.

Also, I'm playing the Japanese version, but the voice actor for Diehardman is Akio Otsuka, who has been the voice actor for Snake in the Metal Gear series since the beginning and he sounds just like him in this game. It's fucking awesome to basically be getting all of my tutorial stuff and mission briefings from Snake.

I bet thats awesome to hear the Japanese Snake. Too bad David doesn’t show up.

has there been any discussion on the symbolism? Everything has a meaning and it’s crazy to pick things up.

Everything is like Hideo discusses. We are connected yet not together. Sam doesn’t like to be touched and doesn’t seem to want to interact with the world around him. Things are left by people that we can like but not interact with those that left it. Even down to the log in the game, it keeps track of everything we do as Sam just like everything we do is tracked and recorded by things around us. This could just be me lost in the world but that’s how I am seeing things. Also I laughed my ass off at Die Hardman.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Major major problem i have with this game are the text sizes.
I have a 65 inch tv and cant read shit.
It was my first issue posted on OT.
Menu text are too small that I had to get near my TV to read the descriptions lol

It is probably looks fine in a PC monitor... just not in a TV when you site far away.

Last edited:
It was my first issue posted on OT.
Menu text are too small that I had to get near my TV to read the descriptions lol

It is probably looks fine in a PC monitor... just not in a TV when you site far away.

To be honest never had problems with text size in this game but text sizing should be something that all games should start having as an option. Although maybe the menu ui and the myriads of options are a limiting factor to the size.

ethomaz

Banned
To be honest never had problems with text size in this game but text sizing should be something that all games should start having as an option. Although maybe the menu ui and the myriads of options are a limiting factor to the size.
I thought a bit about that but to give text size increase they have to adapt the whole UI because there is no space in how it is today.
My example is easy to simulate I play the game while lay in the couch so my feet stay about 1m from the TV and my head (I have 1.92m) near 3m from the TV.
When I need to read some options or description that I'm not used I need to wake up and sit in the middle of the couch I can read fine.

Last edited:
And wow reading posts/comments on other forums/articles and people are really having trouble with the MULEs.

I just took down 6 in no time with 4 on me at once while delivering cargo. Parry/rope, down you go, next. Had to punch a few, but eh, they still went down. Playing on Normal.

Jtibh

Banned
I thought a bit about that but to give text size increase they have to adapt the whole UI because there is no space in how it is today.
Not the first game i had this problem with and i know the devs put in a increase text size option.

I need that in this game too.
The worst part is when you have soo much shit on screen like a whole fuckin novel i have to lick the screen to read it all and filter the irrelevant part out.

Even in your room where you can look around i cant read thise tiny ques like take a piss or look at bb etc

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Not the first game i had this problem with and i know the devs put in a increase text size option.

I need that in this game too.
The worst part is when you have soo much shit on screen like a whole fuckin novel i have to lick the screen to read it all and filter the irrelevant part out.

Even in your room where you can look around i cant read thise tiny ques like take a piss or look at bb etc
There are accessible options on PS4 that zoom some part of the screen... it is an workaround.

Mista

Banned
OH MY GOD! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!

That was straight up INSANE! The whole escaping the battlefield while fighting Cliff was fucking mad and amazing!

Good god this game is offering too much and then some cunts says it’s a “walking simulator” get the fuck out of here! You don’t deserve good games!

HotPocket69

Banned
Nothin like crackin open a Monster during Timefall in BT territory

bKHajGn.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best course of action to take when it starts raining? It seems like there are very few places to take cover.

Also, is there like a list of "best practices" to avoid getting caught by BTs? I'm making my way through, but I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psykodad

Banned
What's the best course of action to take when it starts raining? It seems like there are very few places to take cover.

Also, is there like a list of "best practices" to avoid getting caught by BTs? I'm making my way, through, but I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Only hold your breath while that arm thingy light turns orange. You can just crouch your way out pretty easily (on hard).

I actually think it"s a bit too easy, even on hard.

Kagero

Gold Member

Also, is there like a list of "best practices" to avoid getting caught by BTs? I'm making my way, through, but I can't help but feel like I'm doing something wrong.
I read that you should stack the most valuable cargo at the bottom and junk on top. If you do this, the rain won’t get to the bottom boxes because it’s partially veiled.
For BTs are you covering your mouth and crouching? That’s what I do and I’ve yet to be spotted.

Top Bottom