• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

Wink

I've just very clearly understood why one should haul ass to the first batch of story missions in chapter 3. Do not dawdle.

1) MGS fans, what do you guys think?

2) Does it run at a steady frame rate? I plan on waiting for the Steam release, but if it runs decent enough, I might succumb to the hype.
That's really hard to say, there are so many expectations in that question. It has elements of Metal Gear, but even for a Kojima game this here is slow paced. I'm starting to get more and more vibes from MGSV, but it's still a very different beast. There's a lot here, you'll simply have to try it.
Very steady. Don't know what black magic they've conjured up to make my launch base PS4 such a beast.

Nymphae

Banned
I've just very clearly understood why one should haul ass to the first batch of story missions in chapter 3. Do not dawdle.

Can you explain this a bit without spoiling anything?

Just started today and I'm really enjoying it so far. Very well directed and edited so far, nearing chapter 3 I think.

HotPocket69

Banned
Stackin n packin

3ND54px.jpg

Landscape is a lot like Mad Max

GHG

Gold Member
Guys is there a Tetris minigame I'm missing somewhere? What's the easiest way to rearrange the cargo once it's on your back?

Wink

Can you explain this a bit without spoiling anything?

Just started today and I'm really enjoying it so far. Very well directed and edited so far, nearing chapter 3 I think.
I've enjoyed it very much as well. But if you get bogged down in completionism in the first area it can start wearing on you, if that's the case the upgrades you can get in ch 3 are way more significant than anything in the first area. You'll be able to return if you want to explore the first area completely.
Guys is there a Tetris minigame I'm missing somewhere? What's the easiest way to rearrange the cargo once it's on your back?
Press triangle while in the Cargo Menu.

Last edited:

vpance

Is there any reason to use the shit/piss/shower grenades after getting the blood ones? I used the piss one time but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Is there any reason to use the shit/piss/shower grenades after getting the blood ones? I used the piss one time but it didn't seem to have any effect.

Well if you run out you can use them to deter them and clear a path. Or just do the piss stream and get them away from you. Has worked for me in at least one occasion so far.

vpance

Well if you run out you can use them to deter them and clear a path. Or just do the piss stream and get them away from you. Has worked for me in at least one occasion so far.

So it has an effect on them even before they detect you? Or does it only do something when they go aggro?

The times where everything became flooded black I just tried to run, which hasn't worked out yet..

So it has an effect on them even before they detect you? Or does it only do something when they go aggro?

The times where everything became flooded black I just tried to run, which hasn't worked out yet..

Haven't tried it after I got caught. Normally I just run out of the black goop ring and I'm good to go.

Would be interesting to see what happens then.

I do know however, that *if* you get out of the black goop ring you can still use items on BTs still in the area. Hematic grenades work on the grasping hands/bodies that stare/wait for you at the edge after you exit it. So I'd assume the others do something as well. I blew up one of those masses of black goop/hands after I exited it and the black goop ring subsided completely.

Tiamat2san

10h in, I hope it will be more interesting after, it’s becoming boring to see the same things again and again and again.
I hope the story will be more wild after.

from a graphical point it’s pretty sometimes, but the facial animations are less impressive than I expected.
And the faces are like they are made of wax.
I was more impressed by Detroit in my memories (I need to check the game to be sure).
I am surprised that I find gears 5 face far better rendered.

SLB1904

Banned
Just checked my play time
I thought I played for 12 hours but nope
20 hours and I'm still on chapter fragile.

Yeah this game is huge

MiguelItUp

I'm in Episode 3 now, so damn solid. To each their own and all, but I really don't understand how people could/can be so negative about it. It really has felt like a unique experience, and a breath of fresh air. Especially in the world of AAA titles. I can't remember the last time a AAA title of this magnitude took such a large risk. I really hope it pays of for Kojima and crew. I can't help but imagine it will.

I'm pretty surprised normal feels as easy as it does, but that's not a bad thing. I feel like I've just had everything under control, and in a great way. It's still feeling very tense at the right moments.

I can't stop thinking about it. I haven't had a game under my skin like this in SO long. I can't wait to play more. I can't wait to finish it.

It's still early for me, but it's my GOTY, hands down. Haven't played too much this year, lord knows I'm not going to, especially now.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I haven't had a game under my skin like this in SO long.

Perfect description. I was trying to get at this earlier.

It feels like a lot of my gaming these days is perfunctory. It’s there, it’s fun, but it doesn’t really affect me.

DS on the other hand, just felt special from the beginning, even when I didn’t know what to make of it. I think it has a lot to do with how fresh it is. When all your knowledge of gaming and tropes fails, and you’re in brand new territory, for both a game and it’s story, with surprises around every corner, that just feels magical.

Game has some real glimpses of great stuff in it but it's full of filler

I would love to see someone take this game and give it the donner cut or something as I get the feeling when kojima hit walls in the creativity.....we got these long ass treks with music thrown in until the next plot point is hit

I'm about 6 hours in now and enjoying it but I'm gonna be honest....I'm probably gonna play it in spurts from now on as the boredom drowns out the enthusiasm

I can see a great game here but it's covered in this repetitive shit

Shrap

I would love to see someone take this game and give it the donner cut or something as I get the feeling when kojima hit walls in the creativity.....we got these long ass treks with music thrown in until the next plot point is hit

I'm about 6 hours in now and enjoying it but I'm gonna be honest....I'm probably gonna play it in spurts from now on as the boredom drowns out the enthusiasm

Kojima didn't run out of creativity; DS is drawn out because it's meant to be a huge grueling journey. You are connecting an entire country on your own in horrible conditions.

The point is the treks. If you aren't into that it's understandable but to cut it or remove the "filler" is completely against the point of the game.

Kojima didn't run out of creativity; DS is drawn out because it's meant to be a huge grueling journey. You are connecting an entire country on your own in horrible conditions.

The point is the treks. If you aren't into that it's understandable but to cut it or remove the "filler" is completely against the point of the game.

We aren't on our own, there is shit all over the place from other people.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
So i am on chapter 2. Doing a whole bunch of stuff.

I read a lot of bad stuff about this game.
I think kojima released this game either too soon or too late.
It just shows gaming is still in its infancy.
And by that i mean a lot of people are still treating gaming as .....a game. And not art.
Not an interactive media plattform.
There is just soo much originality here from the characters to equipment and tech and science etc.
And people dont care for that. Is gaming really just about shooting killing stuff? Just constant action? Is gaming ADD?
On top of all that shouldnt gaming be expanded? New genres new type of entertainment?

Its not fun its boring they say.
To me call of duty is not fun. Constant action till my fingers and brain are exhausted is not fun.
Gaming will never evolve till we let creators be creative. If we constantly bash on every new effort and work they come up with no matter if its good or bad we will never get ridd off ea ubisoft bethesda etc who always play it safe.
It blew my mind that even games like prey failed commercialy. And what a great game that was.
I am affraid this game will bomb and we will play the same tiresome run of the mill shit for years to come.

GHG

Gold Member

Have you reached the end of chapter 2 yet?

If not, ignore all the side stuff and do what will get you there quickest.

There are some 4th wall breaking moments coming up that might make you reflect differently on a few things.

draliko

So i am on chapter 2. Doing a whole bunch of stuff.

I read a lot of bad stuff about this game.
I think kojima released this game either too soon or too late.
It just shows gaming is still in its infancy.
And by that i mean a lot of people are still treating gaming as .....a game. And not art.
Not an interactive media plattform.
There is just soo much originality here from the characters to equipment and tech and science etc.
And people dont care for that. Is gaming really just about shooting killing stuff? Just constant action? Is gaming ADD?
On top of all that shouldnt gaming be expanded? New genres new type of entertainment?

Its not fun its boring they say.
To me call of duty is not fun. Constant action till my fingers and brain are exhausted is not fun.
Gaming will never evolve till we let creators be creative. If we constantly bash on every new effort and work they come up with no matter if its good or bad we will never get ridd off ea ubisoft bethesda etc who always play it safe.
It blew my mind that even games like prey failed commercialy. And what a great game that was.
I am affraid this game will bomb and we will play the same tiresome run of the mill shit for years to come.
i don't think it will bomb, it will probably have very solid numbers and it will be easy to recoup the development cost. REading around and speaking with friends the only ones that didn't like the game are a bunch of reviewers and some kid who can't concentrate for more than 2 minutes (fortnite generation...) other than that i saw only praise. It is undoubtedly a mature game, not something a kid can get behind, and for once i really like the fact that i'm not simply playing, i'm discovering a world.

Mista

Banned
I'm not sure how not to use it on terrains to get to some places lol maybe at this point I could've switched to a different vehicle and missed it but didn't see a pop up about it.
Yes there’re different options the game is giving you to use for every obstacld. If you wanna turn your bike into a monster truck then don’t complain😂

Quick tip: Steal the MULE truck, their beacons will never ping your cargo.

vpance

I wonder if Kojima liked Tomorrow Children. That game is more strand than DS in a lot of ways. Shame it died so fast.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Imagine not playing the game because of medicore or negagive reviews. I usully truated giantbomb but for about 2 years they are shit. I even unsubbed 2 montha ago after 10 years....
I would've missed one one of best games ever if I listened to their 2 star review.
I am far in episode 3 and the game is still 10/10. When does is get terrible lol ? No game hard me hooked up to 2am 2 days in a row and I cant wait to play today

KiNeMz

Banned
Imagine not playing the game because of mediocre or negative reviews. I usually trusted giant bomb but for about 2 years they are shit. I even unsubbed 2 montha ago after 10 years....
I would've missed one one of best games ever if I listened to their 2 star review.
I am far in episode 3 and the game is still 10/10. When does is get terrible lol ? No game hard me hooked up to 2am 2 days in a row and I cant wait to play today

Im the same mate Used to love gb but now their heads so far up there arses. totally out of touch with the gaming community these days.

This game is phenomenal. Sinking its claws deeper and deeper. And that's just the game play alone.

KiNeMz

Banned
Is anyon having a hard time keeping this game online?

Im in Australia, trying to work out if the DS servers are having trouble or its my end, or just aussie internet.

Cant play for 5 minutes before i get a 50005 error

Mista

Banned
Is anyon having a hard time keeping this game online?

Im in Australia, trying to work out if the DS servers are having trouble or its my end, or just aussie internet.

Cant play for 5 minutes before i get a 50005 error
Everything is fine here.

Terenty

Have anyone tried to play offline? I know the whole idea is to work with community etc, but i get a feeling playing online undermines exploration and planning aspects a little with tools littered across the map.

Mista

Banned
Have anyone tried to play offline? I know the whole idea is to work with community etc, but i get a feeling playing online undermines exploration and planning aspects a little with tools littered across the map.
Not a good idea. The whole concept of the game is connecting with others

Do you know how much time it’ll take you to do all the stuff in game? You’ll take forever to build roads, bridges, generators, safe houses and all that. Especially that it needs lots of materials to create and upgrade.

GHG

Gold Member
Not a good idea. The whole concept of the game is connecting with others

Do you know how much time it’ll take you to do all the stuff in game? You’ll take forever to build roads, bridges, generators, safe houses and all that. Especially that it needs lots of materials to create and upgrade.

This.

Do not go it alone. The point is to help and be helped.

Cato

Banned

2) Does it run at a steady frame rate? I plan on waiting for the Steam release, but if it runs decent enough, I might succumb to the hype.

MGS super-fanboy here reporting in.

I like it a lot so far. Keep in mind that people call it a walking-simulator and there is definitely truth to that, but I still like it.
It is different, and it looks absolutely gorgeous.

It is very very different from other games and I expect a lot of people will hate it.
I think it is fine though, it is a very different game to say MGS or what is mostly out there but I like it so far.

I think this game will be very divisive. Not everyone will be fine with the slow action and walking-simulator.
It works for me but I realize it will NOT work for a lot of people.

(the soundtrack is awesome)

1) lifetime mgs fan, and this game for me has the feeling of " what if MGS was released in 2019? "
The characters are unique, crazy, memorable, and you'll love them, the voice acting is also worth a standing ovation, the plot is crazy and convoluted, will give you many headaches lol ( in a good sense )

The only difference : mgs characters were based on paper artworks, so they were much more cartoony, DS cast is real, so they're like mgs characters, but " alive "
If you like MGS, tho, Higgs will make your heart melt, trust me
Sorry for the long first answer lol
You'll definitely feel it's a Kojima game, period, there are Also nice easter eggs you will notice

Gameplay: Well, a little step back from mgsv, but only for the weight feeling, is not as smooth as mgsv, I'd say if mgsv is 10 on Controls, this is 7.5 on a movement satisfaction scale
I still have to do certain things to improve movement, so this could soon change

2) aside from opening, from which I admit was worried ( slow frame rate in the opening cinematic) the game runs smooth as butter, I play on a standard 2014 ps4

Last edited:

j0hnnix

I ended up renting it after seeing a stream and haven't been able to put it down. The game does open up mid chapter three. I'm honestly going to purchase it now. The connectivity with other players and seeing things built is a great aspect. Have to struggle through the beginning but there is something about when BTs show up that put me on edge, like a good moment in a survival horror game.

Top Bottom