• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

vpance

This has been the craziest thing to me. I thought I knew what to expect after that marathon first day, but seeing ‘civilization’ growing, and built by real players, and even making my own contributions, has turned everything on it’s head.

What started out mostly just lonely and zen, almost a No Man’s Sky type of game, has pretty quickly also become this awesome, as you said, pioneer shared universe.

The game scratches similar itches that NMS and The Tomorrow Children did for me. So cool to see it done in a high quality big budget game.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
You know, I realized that even on hard you can just stand your ground and punch entire camps KO without too much effort.

Traversing the environment is far more challenging than enemy encounters.
Bit of a downer tbh, but not gamebreaking.

I thought the same, to be honest. But after reaching Chapter 3, this suddenly changed.
Once I was surrounded by several MULEs, they just kept spamming their electric rods at me, causing me to fail badly and lose all my stuff.
Got easier with some new equipment, but you still have to be very cautious.

Robhimself

So I take it in Chapter 2 when you got to the first waypoint station and you get the 6 packages of precious metals for the next waypoint station, and the area where the MULEs ping you, then instantly run due to the Timefall, you can’t wait out the rain in the BT section under an overhang?
Nope, just leg it.

Virex

Banned
Professional critics in the traditional media have never mattered less than they do right now. That goes for film too, not just video games. Game reviewers tend to play on the lowest difficulty setting and have the IQ of dead goldfish. Best to ignore them and go by word of mouth and GAF impressions.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about games journalism, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the gender studies, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids for tumblr and Vice and various other games journalism outlets against fascism and nazis, and I have over 300 confirmed pink hair dyes. I am trained in gender studies and feminsim and I'm the top virtue signaller in the entire world of social media. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision of tweets and fake stories with the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about games journalism over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of games journalists and male feminists across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can harass you on twitter and get Vice, Kotaku and Polygon to write about you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in male feminism, virtue signalling and to destroy video games and it's players because I hate my fucking job. but I have access to the entire arsenal of the social media, Eurogamer and Hillary Clinton's former social media handler and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I can't believe that i'm saying this but the all delivery loop gameplay sucked me in...

I'm having more fun with the gameplay compared to the plot and pg...

Is it me or almost all character are kinda dull with few exceptions?

Heartman, mama, die hard man, amelie etc. Are boring and except for visual design they are not very interesting, espacially if compared woth some greqt chara from mgs saga.

Even sam is just ok as a protagonist.

I'm the only one not really feeling these characters?

I'm 4-5 hours in the third chapter, maybe they become interesting later??

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
Three days in.

Lads, in the very early game, when you finally get past the BTs, cross the ridge and start heading down the slope to Port Knot City and the music kicks in...
Fuckin hell.

THIS is why I "waste my time" with this medium rather than melting my brain with Reality TV or shitty comicbook TV shows or scrolling through the hours on Facebook or Reddit. IT'S GAMES LIKE THIS.

It's just an absolutely sublime piece of work.

Yes, stuff like Overwatch, Fortnite etc is the bread and butter of the medium. Yes, games that are easy to pick up and fun to play are fundamental to what gaming is at it's core.

This kind of stuff fucking ELEVATES videogames into something so far beyond what you can get from movies, books, TV etc. This is why I will gladly drop all that money on consoles and give all of these different and weird games that come along a chance. Once in a while you get something like Death Stranding.

To say the game isn't "fun" is just total ignorance anyway. I accidentally discovered that if you let go of the trigger button while swinging a package with square you can chuck that box at a decent pace. Cue, one of those MULE lads getting sparked out with a flying metal box to the back of the skull. :)

Surfing down hills on a makeshift hoverboard. Helping build highways. Raiding an abandoned shopping mall (??) while avoiding those FUCKING TERRIFYING BT's.

I absolutely love the deep planning and thought that can go into your deliveries and all the little optional things that you can get up to.
Planning routes and then planning what kind of things you want to pick up along the way.
Laying down ladders and ropes and then going back over those pathways picking up materials to make bridges and postboxes and generators and then getting fucktons of likes from other players.

Wait, I need loads of metals and shit to help build this highway? What if I raid that MULE camp, steal their truck, empty their camp, and then drive around picking up every material I can find and put it all towards the highway? Just another "boring" way to spend the time.

It's magnificent.

People who boiled all this down to "walking simulator" and "boring" are honestly just missing a really deep, unique and special experience.

This game is EVERYTHING that I want to see from those creators who are on the cutting edge of what's possible for the medium.
It's like this is what you get when you give an indie developer a AAA budget to work with. Just incredible.

Sometimes I think it's all a matter of perspective.

I look at something like your boots degrading and think of it as another thing to manage.
If you overlook it then you can get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no fucking boots.
Is that "fun"? Well, it's kind of "yes and no", really. It's an obstacle for sure but that's part of the game.

"My packages are getting a bit fucked up by this rain. Guess i'll just equip some of my repair spr- ... ... oh noooooooo!"

Many folks see that kind of thing as almost a "barrier" to enjoying the game though.
It's really fucking weird to me.

Like say someone is a massive Manchester United fan. I am sure that watching the match is "fun" for them. At least the build up and the anticipation etc is something they enjoy and look forward to. Buuuuuut the team sometimes loses so that isn't "fun" is it?
"Is it fun when your team loses? Is it? Is it? Noooo it isn't. You idiot football fans pretending football is fun."

It's crazy to me that my two best games of the year, Death Stranding and Sekiro, became mired in this weird conversation about them not being "fun". Obviously for different reasons.

In truth I think games like this actually reveal what's possible for this medium in general.

Just this really deep and immersive and very, very, satisfying experience.

"Bu-bu-but it's just a game about walking and delivering boxes".
OK.

A lot of people have made a complete arse of themselves trying to insist that the game must be bad and almost trying to logically argue that it's no good.

They're wrong. This game is EASILY one of the best of this generation.

"Oh my fucking god, those BTs are terrifying, but I must be getting close now... my cargo is almost ruined, BB is upset, that was an ordeal but it should be just over this ridge..."

... wow.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Three days in.

Lads, in the very early game, when you finally get past the BTs, cross the ridge and start heading down the slope to Port Knot City and the music kicks in...
Fuckin hell.

THIS is why I "waste my time" with this medium rather than melting my brain with Reality TV or shitty comicbook TV shows or scrolling through the hours on Facebook or Reddit. IT'S GAMES LIKE THIS.

Yes, stuff like Overwatch, Fortnite etc is the bread and butter of the medium. Yes, games that are easy to pick up and fun to play are fundamental to what gaming is at it's core.

This kind of stuff fucking ELEVATES videogames into something so far beyond what you can get from movies, books, TV etc. This is why I will gladly drop all that money on consoles and give all of these different and weird games that come along a chance. Once in a while you get something like Death Stranding.

To say the game isn't "fun" is just total ignorance anyway. I accidentally discovered that if you let go of the trigger button while swinging a package with square you can chuck that box at a decent pace. Cue, one of those MULE lads getting sparked out with a flying metal box to the back of the skull. :)

Surfing down hills on a makeshift hoverboard. Helping build highways. Raiding an abandoned shopping mall (??) while avoiding those FUCKING TERRIFYING BT's.

I absolutely love the deep planning and thought that can go into your deliveries and all the little optional things that you can get up to.
Planning routes and then planning what kind of things you want to pick up along the way.
Laying down ladders and ropes and then going back over those pathways picking up materials to make bridges and postboxes and generators and then getting fucktons of likes from other players.

Wait, I need loads of metals and shit to help build this highway? What if I raid that MULE camp, steal their truck, empty their camp, and then drive around picking up every material I can find and put it all towards the highway? Just another "boring" way to spend the time.

It's magnificent.

People who boiled all this down to "walking simulator" and "boring" are honestly just missing a really deep, unique and special experience.

This game is EVERYTHING that I want to see from those creators who are on the cutting edge of what's possible for the medium.
It's like this is what you get when you give an indie developer a AAA budget to work with. Just incredible.

I look at something like your boots degrading and think of it as another thing to manage.
If you overlook it then you can get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with no fucking boots.
Is that "fun"? Well, it's kind of "yes and no", really. It's an obstacle for sure but that's part of the game.

"My packages are getting a bit fucked up by this rain. Guess i'll just equip some of my repair spr- ... ... oh noooooooo!"

Many folks see that kind of thing as almost a "barrier" to enjoying the game though.

Like say someone is a massive Manchester United fan. I am sure that watching the match is "fun" for them. At least the build up and the anticipation etc is something they enjoy and look forward to. Buuuuuut the team sometimes loses so that isn't "fun" is it?
"Is it fun when your team loses? Is it? Is it? Noooo it isn't. You idiot football fans pretending football is fun."

It's crazy to me that my two best games of the year, Death Stranding and Sekiro, became mired in this weird conversation about them not being "fun". Obviously for different reasons.

In truth I think games like this actually reveal what's possible for this medium in general.

OK.

A lot of people have made a complete arse of themselves trying to insist that the game must be bad and almost trying to logically argue that it's no good.

Wow, beautifully said♥️

Robhimself

Well, I'm honestly enjoying this game A LOT.

But, it's not with a sad aftertaste which is likely to come.

The thing is, after I finish it, I'm 1 experience richer BUT it's a hollow one for 1 simple reason...
It will be YEARS before something as special as this comes along again and it's back to the established IP's.....

Saruhashi

Banned
I can't believe that i'm saying this but the all delivery loop gameplay sucked me in...

I'm having more fun with the gameplay compared to the plot and pg...

Is it me or almost all character are kinda dull with few exceptions?

Heartman, mama, die hard man, amelie etc. Are boring and except for visual design they are not very interesting, espacially if compared woth some greqt chara from mgs saga.

Even sam is just ok as a protagonist.

I'm the only one not really feeling these characters?

I'm 4-5 hours in the third chapter, maybe they become interesting later??

I don't think they are "dull" but I can see your point that they are not quite on the MGS levels of interesting (though to be fair MGS has a lot of games to draw examples from).

One of my take aways from the story and characters in this is that the idea of Kojima just getting into movies doesn't really make too much sense.
The main attraction here is obviously the gameplay and the exploration of the world and the game mechanics.
There's some great lore and the story is great too (though it really exists to serve the gameplay).

How could you ever hope to condense all that down into a tight 2 to 3 hour movie?

There was even discussion that the game would have a "very easy" mode for people who just want to experience the story but I don't see how that would even work here. OK, so it's easier to go from A to B while avoiding or defeating X and Y but the main draw in the whole thing is about HOW you will do those things.

Can you seriously imagine going to someone who loves movies and saying "OK you are gonna love this. it's just like one of your japanese animes Hollywood Movies"? I put it on easy mode for you, movie fan, so it'll be great. You need to go over here and pick the boxes that you want to take over there. Do you want to bring some ladders? Maybe some materials to build a bridge? Then we'll walk all the way over there and take down those MULE guys and avoid those BTs and then we'll do it like 50 or so more times. JUST LIKE THE MOVIES!

:)

If this was a TV show then maybe I'd watch it but honestly the game itself is the really compelling part here.

Last edited:

Holdfing

The more I saw of this game, the less I liked it. Open world, lots of walking, no action, cringe
chiral artist
, slow motion stuff. I should hate it.
But I can't stop playing it, and at work I can't stop thinking about playing it. Guess it's one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" things. My biggest annoyance is the odradek animation when entering a BT area. Let me fucking skip it! Maybe in the PC version...

Has anyone used the sink in the private quarters? Sam can make funny faces and you can take pictures when he does! :D

Don't forget to check on BB, either. I saw 2 BB easter eggs so far. Also check your feet.

Edit: There's a Steam page already, says summer 2020, so no Epic exclusive shit. Or very little.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Does rain just not go away? I've been sleeping under a cliff for like half an hour. I'm not even doing a mission or anything.

I just got to the weather station and from there, it seems rain will become randomized. But before I got there I went through parts which were constant rain.

So, you might just need to power through the rain until you get the weather forecast functionality!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What the fuck did you just fucking say about games journalism, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the gender studies, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids for tumblr and Vice and various other games journalism outlets against fascism and nazis, and I have over 300 confirmed pink hair dyes. I am trained in gender studies and feminsim and I'm the top virtue signaller in the entire world of social media. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision of tweets and fake stories with the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit about games journalism over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of games journalists and male feminists across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can harass you on twitter and get Vice, Kotaku and Polygon to write about you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in male feminism, virtue signalling and to destroy video games and it's players because I hate my fucking job. but I have access to the entire arsenal of the social media, Eurogamer and Hillary Clinton's former social media handler and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.

You’re two years late to that party ;b

Robhimself

The more I saw of this game, the less I liked it. Open world, lots of walking, no action, cringe
chiral artist
, slow motion stuff. I should hate it.
But I can't stop playing it, and at work I can't stop thinking about playing it. Guess it's one of those "greater than the sum of its parts" things. My biggest annoyance is the odradek animation when entering a BT area. Let me fucking skip it! Maybe in the PC version...

Don't forget to check on BB, either. I saw 2 BB easter eggs so far. Also check your feet.

Edit: There's a Steam page already, says summer 2020, so no Epic exclusive shit. Or very little.
Yeah I saw BB

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not really, if you’re carrying metal or whatever material you can use it right away without having to go back and recycle. What happens when you recycle? You’re just adding the amount you currently have to the pile you have at the settlement

You can do both if you want. But if you already have metal and ceramic on you or whatever material, you can use it right away to create or donate to whatever project you see on your way.

Yeah, I figured it out the very next moment when I had to build the first bridge, lol.

Tesseract

Banned
i'm really digging this story, fragile is dope

all the cutscenes with nice bitrates are on youtube, cut into various 'episodes'

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
You’re two years late to that party ;b
That's true. But no one believed their lies then and no one believes them now. I think why "game reviewers" complain when Souls games come out is because there is no "story" mode and the games don't bow down to their level. How you enjoying Death Stranding so far?

ethomaz

Banned
I finally put some shame in this face and did some main story events lol
Now I just need to back to the first city to end the episode 2 (I guess).

At this point I'm delivering even the online shared cargo from every place (included online builds) lol

I'm around 30 hours already :messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:

Terenty

The level design is quite disappointing in some places i must say

the road from the musician to the port knot city is blatantly funeled through BTs it seems. I tried(and a lot of other people too, judging by the sign "entry prohibited") to go through mountains, but for some reason they decided to put an invisible wall in a place where i could clearly traverse.

Man, i was enjoying myself so much thinking i will make a new road there and bam all the effort is wasted

Why that part of the map is not blacked out is anyone's guess. I bet there is a lot of places like that, breaking the whole traversal idea

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I love this game. Played this shit out of it all Saturday and Sunday. The story is drawing me in so much, it's all shot so well and is just extremely visually interesting to me. Wonderful sci-fi trappings and scenery. I am so excited to see how the story pans out and what surprises Kojima has in store for me.

The gameplay is way more fun than I expected it to be, but at the same time I can understand if some people don't enjoy what is offered here from a mechanics and moment to moment gameplay standpoint. That said, this is exactly the kind of game I wanted to play right now, and I am so glad I bit on this now and didn't wait, I would have read plot summaries and watched more videos, and that would have taken away from the experience a bit I think. I'm having so much fun with this having went in totally blind and with an open mind.

Last edited:

Valonquar

This is just another game that I enjoy playing, yet think it's terrible at the same time. It will be platinumed and mothballed. 3 months later Dunkey will make a video illustrating really hilarious and creative ways to play with the game's systems and I will think "Gee, I didn't even scratch the surface of that game."

DonF

What a great game, definitively more than the sum of its parts. Great execution from Kojima and team. I love to just walk around, the game looks great, music kicks in... feels zen.
The game wants you to be actively controlling Sam all the time, but doesn't demands your full attention. So you can mentally cruise, taking in the landscape, the music...
Such a great game. And im just 6 hours in.

The story... god damn. I love how Kojima constructs his games. Its really out there! He takes real concepts and adds some mystical stuff.
I've learned lots of useless stuff!

Good on Sony and Kojima.

rqJePCm.jpg

Last edited:

Terenty

I cant believe how blatantly invisible walls are placed in the world. The whole idea is to use tools to create new routes through the game world and they go and put fucking walls in places where players could creatively use them. They are not even in the vicinity of map limits

I'm far from a hater, but sorry this is some next level retardation

Last edited:

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I cant believe how blatantly invisible walls are placed in the world. The whole idea is to use tools to create new routes through the game world and they go and put fucking walls in places where players could creatively use them.

I'm far from a hater, but sorry this is some next level retardation

Where are those walls? Didn't find a single one until now.

MiguelItUp

The game does itself no favours in the press and trolls by starting off on a slow burn combined with a story that has no time at first to ease you into the world, but the game really is something when it hits its stride.
Exactly! When Kojima described the beginning of Death Stranding as a slow burn and something very similar to Alien regarding how it unfolds got me even more hyped. It's all very accurate as well. It's as if the more time you put into it, it just continues to shed layers that make you want to invest more, and more into it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Three days in.

Fuckin hell.

It's magnificent.

OK.

"Oh my fucking god, those BTs are terrifying, but I must be getting close now... my cargo is almost ruined, BB is upset, that was an ordeal but it should be just over this ridge..."

... wow.

What a post. While I'm still only 16 hours or so in on Chapter 3, I couldn't agree more with just about everything you wrote. +1

GymWolf

Gold Member
10h in, I hope it will be more interesting after, it’s becoming boring to see the same things again and again and again.
I hope the story will be more wild after.

from a graphical point it’s pretty sometimes, but the facial animations are less impressive than I expected.
And the faces are like they are made of wax.
I was more impressed by Detroit in my memories (I need to check the game to be sure).
I am surprised that I find gears 5 face far better rendered.

The only good faces in gears5 are jd and marcus, the other pg are not really better or more realistic than ds characters, like not even close, especially the "female" protagonist who looks like a doll.

And i'm not even a fan of ds faces to be honest.

Terenty

Where are those walls? Didn't find a single one until now.

Basically if you see a high mountain chances are its unclimbable

The place im talking about is in the second chapter on the road to Port Knot City
you will have to go through BTs because the mountain is surrounded by invisible walls

Roni

Gold Member
Basically if you see a high mountain chances are its unclimbable

The place im talking about is in the second chapter on the road to Port Knot City
you will have to go through BTs because the mountain is surrounded by invisible walls

You're still in the linear tutorial at that point. That only goes away in Chapter 3-4.

Javthusiast

Banned
After being down on it after my initial 5 hr session on thursday before release and taking 2 days off from it and just watching people on twitch play it, I put in another session yesterday and boom it finally clicked. I am addicted to the gameplay loop. And that is even before the supposed cool shit coming in episode 3 and after. Still in episode 2 btw.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
That's true. But no one believed their lies then and no one believes them now. I think why "game reviewers" complain when Souls games come out is because there is no "story" mode and the games don't bow down to their level. How you enjoying Death Stranding so far?

No doubt, we had all this thinly veiled BS with Sekiro's release complaining about lack of "accessibility" features from able-bodied game reviewers, meanwhile a quadriplegic gamer schooled all of them. Death Stranding is far more accessible than Sekiro, anyway, and I wouldn't characterize it as overly demanding, but it's definitely a little off the beaten path and asks you to plan your own routes and think for yourself to an extent.

It's a hell of a game. Still on the same wavelength as my impressions below, currently on episode 8:

Right there with ya bro. I've barely been stopping to sleep since the midnight it released. On episode 7 now, and the game keeps getting better as it goes. The long distance traversal sends me into a pleasant, determined trance to the point the clock no longer matters, and suffice to say the visuals, the audio, and the story scenes are all brilliant. Even rudimentary standard missions can be adventures. Spent an evening building the highway from LK to SK and it's been coming in very handy since, and built ziplines everywhere today (which are awesome). The connected world comes together around me at just the right pace.

Bryank75

Banned
In chapter 6 now, what a few chapters!

Margaret Qualley is an incredible actress, just brilliant in every scene. There was one actress that played that was really bad but she isn't a main character.

Chapter 4 was crazy and everything after was pretty deep and emotional enough, even though I was not really expecting to feel it.
I am addicted to the gameloop, as many of you are and I think the bike is OP, I have literally powered my way over mountains and avoided BT areas completely.

Top Bottom