• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

mekes

I’m still on the fence with the game but I don’t regret buying it. Still slumbering around chapter 3 but got a little carried away with random deliveries. I’ll further the story the next time I play. I quite enjoy the story so far.

GHG

Gold Member
Open Cufflinks and click R3 twice. You'll be able to see the forecast for the next 30 minutes

Holy shit didn't know this was a thing.

Made good progress with chapter 3 today, got some interesting new and upgraded gear/equipment/weapons.

The server I'm on is full of top notch people. The road from lake knot city all the way south over and above all the mule camps. Will help finish it off tomorrow.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m buying it. This better have some action goddamnit. And I say this because MGSV is still the best third person action game sandbox whatever the fuck out there.

I’m buying it. This better have some action goddamnit. And I say this because MGSV is still the best third person action game sandbox whatever the fuck out there.

There's action if you want there to be, at least with the MULE camps. I love setting off their alarm with a package and then taking them all down one by one as they run towards me. Maybe bola one while he struggles on the ground and I rope takedown the next. Then rope takedown the bola guy right as he's getting up. Sometimes the bolas knock them out straight up as well, not sure exactly why, thought maybe because it's aiming high around the neck (just a guess).

The server I'm on is full of top notch people. The road from lake knot city all the way south over and above all the mule camps. Will help finish it off tomorrow.

Yeah most of the road is built outside of Lake Knot City on my server nearly all the way to the South Knot distribution center. I helped out with the initial part quite a bit and the last part that's there I put in quite a bit of work finishing it off. Helps to take down a whole MULE camp then raid it and bring all the materials to the highway building spots.

Last edited:
I’m still on the fence with the game but I don’t regret buying it. Still slumbering around chapter 3 but got a little carried away with random deliveries. I’ll further the story the next time I play. I quite enjoy the story so far.
Before at least completing chapter 4 bud ;)

Chap. 4 completed, and you're 100% right

I just say WOW

Now mid - 5, this game surprises me every second

Verdanth

Damn, I'm bikeless.

Made a jump to cross a river and landed right in a red zone. Bike to the bottom 😂.

Any area I can get one again?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You can use them for lots of things: Building, upgrading, creating and many more. Don’t recycle everything because you’ll regret later

You can’t wait out BT territories as the rain a.k.a timefall is something different. Sneak past the BTs while crouched and always hold your breath when you’re very near from them. Also don’t forget to scan to see where they’re floating as you have to stand still so they appear. As for the timefall, run. If your containers are heavily damaged then spray them to repair

It doesn’t matter if the container is damaged, what matters is what’s inside the container. So if the container is damaged a bit don’t repair it. But if it’s damaged severely it might reach 0% and then what’s inside it gets damaged. We don’t want that to happen now

Don’t you have to recycle the container or metal and resin to use them?

If not, can you give a brief explanation?

I have a bunch of containers of metal in storage right now since I read this. Been recycling resin however.

Shrap

Nice walking simulator

Come on man, it's obviously a walking simulator. It has all the classic hallmarks - combat, stealth, boss battles, side missions galore, building, driving, item management, failure mechanics, looting, upgrades... Need I go on?

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Arachnid

Shit I have to wait for that? Haven't unlocked it yet.

Can I supply request a bike? Lol
It'll come up quicker than you think. I think I had it around the start of chapter 3. You'll also find plenty of vehicles around the map, and you'll see bikes others stored in the garage for you to use. I've actually had more vehicles than I need. Haven't had to fabricate any since I come across them so much.

At thestart there is a shadow from the sky. Ive seen this before. WHat the hell is it?
That is a solid question. Now that you mention it, I've seen that too. I think I just quickly wrote it off as a cloud or something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm making my way through Chapter 3 and loving how the game doles out game-changing items as you progress, really making you appreciate the hard road that you traveled up until that point. The sense of progression is really well done.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
What are Your fav ways to travel? Vehicle with cargo or walking + maybe carrier? Which exoskeleton?
I am not sure myself and keep changing... I kinda like the bike but nothing beats just walking. You can go anywhere in a straight line.
Also - anyone finding weapons other than hematic grenades and bola gun useless? Episode 5 and those are still my go to for mules and bts

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
One more thing. Can i skip non required sam missions (not standard deliveries) if I want ?
(Btw my goty love this game. Time just flies by)

This games weird, I feel like it should suck, it has the makings of a game that should suck, but it doesn't, not only that, it's fucking great!

I have a hard time putting it down when I'm playing, I think about it when I'm not playing it, I want to play it when I can't. Feels good.

There's so much more to it than what all the previews and reviews I read led me to believe. Games got a lot of depth considering how relatively basic the core loop is.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
got to play about an hour and it's almost everything i hate about game design wrapped into one big package

i like that kojima and friends had the freedom to make this tho, the cinematics are stellar

will nab on pc when it's $10

(kojima is old now, bit beyond his time, shouldn't have expected outstanding mechanics or systems integration, exciting menu / hud assortment and the like)

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
got to play about an hour and it's almost everything i hate about game design wrapped into one big package

i like that kojima and friends had the freedom to make this tho, the cinematics are stellar

(kojima is old now, bit beyond his time, shouldn't have expected outstanding mechanics or systems integration, exciting menu / hud assortment and the like)

lol

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wanted to play more tonight but ended up watching the Cowboys game. I should have just played more.

-Arcadia-

Banned

It’s still a controversial game, even if quite a few people are loving it. Glad to have Tess’ take in the thread. The more information for curious buyers, the better.

I have to break up my DS time with Apex so I can get some action. It would be much more fun if there were less obstacles and the balance thing was completely removed. It's just annoyance after annoyance.

Tesseract

Banned
I have to break up my DS time with Apex so I can get some action. It would be much more fun if there were less obstacles and the balance thing was completely removed. It's just annoyance after annoyance.

same feeling here, can only take so much tedium, quest fetching and menu sorting

the amount of output data on the hud is awesome tho, all the visdata stuff is super impressive and inspiring (augmented reality will trend in this direction)

i'm kinda surprised kojima tied balance to button pushes, seems like something he'd want to physically simulate (as much as possible) on the sticks

maybe they experimented with this and found it untenable, hard to say

Last edited:

vpance

I know it's small potatoes, but I got over 1000 likes on a bridge I made. Feeling accomplished, lol. Most of my other stuff is still pretty low though.

Total likes from other players is 29k, manual likes 2k. Not sure how that first number got that high. I think it was from the roads I built?

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
yeah not sure what to think about the social networking dopamine drip stuff, seems principally good

curious who takes the concept and runs with it further, somewhere between this and dark souls with more advanced ghost data is the future

GHG

Gold Member

Taking out the balance mechanic would trivialise the traversal.

What's the point? It would be like saying "I wish assetto corsa was an arcade racing game, having to slow down for corners and take care of your tires during a race is annoying".

Literally every other game out there trivialises traversal, it's not like you're short of options if you want to walk around a game world while carrying unlimited stuff without a care in the world.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Don’t you have to recycle the container or metal and resin to use them?

If not, can you give a brief explanation?

I have a bunch of containers of metal in storage right now since I read this. Been recycling resin however.
Not really, if you’re carrying metal or whatever material you can use it right away without having to go back and recycle. What happens when you recycle? You’re just adding the amount you currently have to the pile you have at the settlement

You can do both if you want. But if you already have metal and ceramic on you or whatever material, you can use it right away to create or donate to whatever project you see on your way.

Wink

Anyone having issues with the camera frequently but randomly pointing to the sky?
No, you might have stick drift. You can increase the dead zone value in the options.

(There are various physical fixes that sometimes work as well like using rubbing alcohol and qtips to clean the edges of the stick or using a can of compressed air to blow away any particles that might be the cause of it, consult Youtube.)

Papa

Banned
No, you might have stick drift. You can increase the dead zone value in the options.

(There are various physical fixes that sometimes work as well like using rubbing alcohol and qtips to clean the edges of the stick or using a can of compressed air to blow away any particles that might be the cause of it, consult Youtube.)

The controller is only a few months old and I’ve had no issues before. I’ll try changing the dead zone though. Cheers bruv.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this game is really something. been voluntarily doing delivery missions cos it is so intoxicating. it’s puzzle solving and enemy encounters and inventory management and a million other systems all humming along seamlessly.

the world is incredible. yes the nature stuff but the ever growing sci-fi infrastructure has now become a cool part of this world. riding futuristic bikes on half built roads that end in the middle of the air with a mysterious city in the distance. it is so cool to be a pioneer in this new world.

I was evading MULES earlier near the road and after I escaped it started raining. I realised I was on the frontier, past where the roads had been built up closer to the city, and I was headed for some mountains. then to my delight I saw a glowing friendly timefall shelter another player had built which I could use to repair all my rain damaged cargo and wait out the rain. I mashed that like button so many times!

Last edited:

Wink

The controller is only a few months old and I’ve had no issues before. I’ll try changing the dead zone though. Cheers bruv.
That's the thing with drift, it might just pop up in games where the sticks are programmed to have no dead zone or it might come and go depending on what causes it, doesn't have to be a broken connection necessarily. Just saying if you encounter it more often look into it, it sometimes can be fixed.

-Arcadia-

Banned
the world is incredible. yes the nature stuff but the ever growing sci-fi infrastructure has now become a cool part of this world. riding futuristic bikes on half built roads that end in the middle of three air with a mysterious city in the distance. it is so cool to be a pioneer in this new world.

This has been the craziest thing to me. I thought I knew what to expect after that marathon first day, but seeing ‘civilization’ growing, and built by real players, and even making my own contributions, has turned everything on it’s head.

What started out mostly just lonely and zen, almost a No Man’s Sky type of game, has pretty quickly also become this awesome, as you said, pioneer shared universe.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've put in over 20 hours so far which is a lot given that I only started Friday evening.

The game does itself no favours in the press and trolls by starting off on a slow burn combined with a story that has no time at first to ease you into the world, but the game really is something when it hits its stride.

The game combines the networking of the Dark Souls series, expands on the changing world concept seen in Red Dead Redemption, and oddly enough has some Silent Hill-esque horror. The graphics are also phenominal. This is definitely one game where players and potential players shouldn't read into the story or gameplay beforehand as it ruins some of the surprises. I went in blind and was pleasantly surprised by a few of the mechanics.

I'll probably do a write up once I've finished the game but so far its looking like my GOTY.

Last edited:

Kagero

Gold Member
Ok guys! I need your help. I think I’m at the end of chapter 3. With the least amount of spoilers, please tell me what I need to do.
Spoiler:
Where the fuck is quiet? How can I avoid getting blown up?

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Ok guys! I need your help. I think I’m at the end of chapter 3. With the least amount of spoilers, please tell me what I need to do.
Spoiler:
Where the fuck is quiet? How can I avoid getting blown up?
Quiet? Bruv, this is no MGSV😂 Anyways, here you go:
Take the package to Distribution Center South of Capital Knot City and when you reach there go to your private room

Top Bottom