• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding |OT| Keep Walking, Nothing To See Here

imsosleepy

Right there with ya bro. I've barely been stopping to sleep since the midnight it released. On episode 7 now, and the game keeps getting better as it goes. The long distance traversal sends me into a pleasant, determined trance to the point the clock no longer matters, and suffice to say the visuals, the audio, and the story scenes are all brilliant. Even rudimentary standard missions can be adventures. Spent an evening building the highway from LK to SK and it's been coming in very handy since, and built ziplines everywhere today (which are awesome). The connected world comes together around me at just the right pace.

seriously... Did the reviewers play a different game or did they just wanted to hate on the new kojima game? I dont get it. My favorite reviewers all loved it.. Skil up loved it. My favorite dutch website does reviews with 2 people. one of them loves the soul series, he was really skeptic about this game, was never really interessted but he saw the code first on the redaction and took it lol. He put in 50 hours and loved it. He thought story was actually really good, pacing is well because u keep unlocking new things and things get easier.

And then there are reviews like giantbomb, ign, easy allies and its almost like they did not even play alot of the game?

I love the long distance traversals but there is also plenty of breaks of that when you can do alot with a vehicle. Now that I get to play it msyelf and know how the path is like towards the 3rd chapter. Its really not the slug that they made it out to be? alot of things happend in the beginning. Most cut scenes happend in the first hour to get the story going a little. Loved that, really well done to get you immersed.

I'm not almost at chapter 3 but I cant stop collecting resources and just build bridges to make the side quests easy in chapter 2 lol

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
seriously... Did the reviewers play a different game or did they just wanted to hate on the new kojima game? I dont get it. My favorite reviewers all loved it.. Skil up loved it. My favorite dutch website does reviews with 2 people. one of them loves the soul series, he was really skeptic about this game, was never really interessted but he saw the code first on the redaction and took it lol. He put in 50 hours and loved it. He thought story was actually really good, pacing is well because u keep unlocking new things and things get easier.

And then there are reviews like giantbomb, ign, easy allies and its almost like they did not even play alot of the game?

I love the long distance traversals but there is also plenty of breaks of that when you can do alot with a vehicle. Now that I get to play it msyelf and know how the path is like towards the 3rd chapter. Its really not the slug that they made it out to be? alot of things happend in the beginning. Most cut scenes happend in the first hour to get the story going a little. Loved that, really well done to get you immersed.

I'm not almost at chapter 3 but I cant stop collecting resources and just build bridges to make the side quests easy in chapter 2 lol

Professional critics in the traditional media have never mattered less than they do right now. That goes for film too, not just video games. Game reviewers tend to play on the lowest difficulty setting and have the IQ of dead goldfish. Best to ignore them and go by word of mouth and GAF impressions.

nowhat

Just complete speculation, but while apparently the reviewers (well, some of them anyway) had a long time with the game, there may have not been that many players concurrently. The "shared" experience makes all the difference, I can't imagine the game being nearly as fun just by yourself.

Edit: there was a "legendary" Journey review by Ben Kuchera while he was still at Ars Tecnica. He basically trashed the game. Mentioned that it also had an online mode, which he didn't have a chance to try.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Right there with ya bro. I've barely been stopping to sleep since the midnight it released. On episode 7 now, and the game keeps getting better as it goes. The long distance traversal sends me into a pleasant, determined trance to the point the clock no longer matters, and suffice to say the visuals, the audio, and the story scenes are all brilliant. Even rudimentary standard missions can be adventures. Spent an evening building the highway from LK to SK and it's been coming in very handy since, and built ziplines everywhere today (which are awesome). The connected world comes together around me at just the right pace.
I just finished 7 and I’m standing from all that happened. Fucking hell and I almost lost it yesterday after episode 4! Just to figure out what episode 7 held for me. My brain will explode, the events build up in this game is BRILLIANT! I don’t want to finish the game so after this I’ll go strengthen my connection with the fam that are around 3 stars

Wink

Just complete speculation, but while apparently the reviewers (well, some of them anyway) had a long time with the game, there may have not been that many players concurrently. The "shared" experience makes all the difference, I can't imagine the game being nearly as fun just by yourself.
Nah, the whole world of reviewers played it. Even better for them, sometimes they would find structures from people they actually knew as well. Gamespot's After Dark podcast about DS had a lot of talk how much they enjoyed it. Some people are just not made for figuring out new concepts, they just want their job to be easy, play the latest in a line of things they already understand, slap a number on it no one will get mad about and call it a day. Something as new and challenging to figure out how to play well like this is simply too much for them. It's far from what I'd call professional, that's for sure, but I think most of us knew that there's little actual critical thinking involved working in enthusiast media. Which didn't prevent the majority of people who reviewed it to tell us that it's a good to masterful game. Let's not forget that.

John Day

Working right now, have played very little, but its not just... a walking simulator for me. There is a grace to finding the optimim route, to navigating.

It has been a breath of fresh for me to “action”, to “exploring” and questing.

I cannot affirm that maybe going 30 hrs deep i may feel the same, of course.

But so far so good, and so far reading other people’s experiences has been cool and fullfilling.

For me, cutscenes have some stutter sometimes, but i bet it’s not the game per se. Other games do that for me, like Spiderman as the biggest offender. That maybhave to do with my hdd and my ps4 though, can’t blame the games for certain.

I can, however, see clearly the idea behind the game, its aim. This game is something. Will we remember it down the road? Who knows. Pedigree might shadow it after all. But i feel Sony put its bet on something, and that something turned out fucking good!

TL:DR: This game is fucking awesome, i’m so glad i haven’t trusted reviewers from the “big” sites in years, pussy motherfuckers, this shit is DOPE!

Second question, if I hated how slow RDR2 traversal was by foot but liked MGS's combat, would I like this or hate this? I can deal with cut scenes.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned
I think the servers were tweaked for the review period. It makes sense. They were given the game for 3 weeks prior to embargo dates. Then before launch the servers were taken off line. Probably to set the general population settings and a couple of patches were issued. I watched the giant bomb coverage which showed alot of road already built.

Wink

Second question, if I hated how slow RDR2 traversal was by foot but liked MGS's combat, would I like this or hate this? I can deal with cut scenes.
That is far too little information to go on to make an honest recommendation. The traversal might be even slower than RDR2, but it's way more engaging since you need to take more things into account, not just walk towards a waypoint. The combat for the first 20 hours at least is not like MGS, in fact the game really doesn't care about combat much at all. Truly, this thread isn't gigantic, you should go back a few pages and read what people here have to say and see if it resonates with you.

Last edited:

KiNeMz

Banned

I think the reason we hate traversal in games like rdr2 is because the travel is the wall you need to get through to get to the next gameplay section. In this game the travel is the gameplay. It's brilliant how it makes travelling engaging. I can't stop thinking about it. Kojima has outdone himself here. He flipped traditional gaming on its head and made the mundane part of open world games the actual game.

My wife comment after she saw I was carrying a baby.
"How that fuck a man going around building roads on a bike and now is rocking a baby in the middle of the desert? This shit makes no sense"😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

My wife said the same thing whe she watched me play earlier. To be exact she said "So wait.....its tons of guys around the world carrying a baby around and rocking it to sleep whenever it gets upset?? Amazing!"

We had a good laugh

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I take it in Chapter 2 when you got to the first waypoint station and you get the 6 packages of precious metals for the next waypoint station, and the area where the MULEs ping you, then instantly run due to the Timefall, you can’t wait out the rain in the BT section under an overhang?

Last edited:

Komatsu

For those who pay attention to the US map whenever you expand the chiral network, West Waystation is supposed to be somewhere near Indianapolis. Besides the fact that, you know, most of humanity perished and there are dead-spirit-thingies floating around, the Death Stranding can't be all that bad if it made southern Indiana look like the Hellisfjörður in Iceland.

Mista

Banned
So I take it in Chapter 2 when you got to the first waypoint station and you get the 6 packages of precious metals for the next waypoint station, and the area where the MULEs ping you, then instantly run due to the Timefall, you can’t wait out the rain in the BT section under an overhang?
You need a Timefall shelter to do that.

Bryank75

Banned
Ah yes. My most hated place by far
Well actually, there is a place in Chapter 3.... where you have to get over these fissures in the ground and there were a couple of attempts at jumping them on the bike that I just missed and fell in one...... I had to reset. I actually slapped my forehead! haha

LostDonkey

I think i rode the bike for literally 10 seconds and ditched it. Walked everywhere since even got a warning the bike was critical or something. Hated the way it handles.

Arachnid

Is Jensen voice actor in This?
Yes. I recognized him instantly. He sounded exactly like he does in Deus Ex. I wish he had a bigger role.

Well actually, there is a place in Chapter 3.... where you have to get over these fissures in the ground and there were a couple of attempts at jumping them on the bike that I just missed and fell in one...... I had to reset. I actually slapped my forehead! haha
LMAO I refused to take those jumps. Waaay too risky.

Until a certain mission that threw a timer on me anyways. Then I belined it straight over the fissures in my truck with a bunch Mules honking and raving after me. That was one of the tensest gameplay experiences I've had in this game yet. Never felt so much relief as I did when I finished that mission.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
YES! This took over the farm for me...

Bryank75

Banned
It's funny, I was playing MGSV before I started Death Stranding and from a gameplay and design perspective (it should be no surprise) they are both so similar.

Human enemies with vehicles, based around outposts, a supernatural enemy.... in this case the BT's taking the place of the Skulls.
In MGSV Quiet had the powers of the Skulls and in DS, Fragile has these kind of 'other worldly' powers.
Then there are sparse but quite easy boss battles, much like in MGSV with the easy Metal Gears fight at the end.

So it is really confusing to me that some complaints center on gameplay and pacing, which I found much better than MGSV. The way you get weapons and gear is far more measured and the landscape and map design is a million times better and more interesting.

Just a few thoughts before I get to hop on again and hopefully start Chapter 4.

kunonabi

Does rain just not go away? I've been sleeping under a cliff for like half an hour. I'm not even doing a mission or anything.

Tiamat2san

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the gameplay and Kojima will go over a typical gamer's head. There's also Kojima's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from very deep movies and literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these Kojima games, to realise that they're not just amazing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the writing in Kojima's existential catchphrase "you rike it," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid
It’s for stable geniuses only.

Seriously I know dumb people who loves it and very intelligent ones who hates it.
It has nothing to do with IQ.

kojima games are special and you can say pretentious.
Like any form of art and philosophy,
You can admire the work and the thinking but find it deeply flawed and stupid.

if your post is a joke , it’s funny.
If you think only people with IQ can love the game, you are overestimate your own intelligence.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, when you try to press Start while resting in your room, Sam shakes his head while looking at the camera and points at the terminal like, "it's over there, you dummy." Love these little details.

I'm into episode 4

Guys, do not drop the game before at least completing chapter 3, do it for yourself, You'l see 😋

This game is friggin' incredible

Top Bottom