• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Fox318

kGkIpYS.png

SHOOTMAS Day 21

RvyQggu.gif
gBohyNS.gif

Ring's Volk Han vs Rings/NJPW's Tsuyoshi Kohsaka

Rings was one of the first major MMA promtions. The promotion was formed after the fall of U.W.F. in Japan. Originally it was a puroesu wrestling promtion but in 1995 they moved completely over to shoot matches.

Volk Han was a Sambo practitioner who started out working pro wrestling and when the money got better he moved over to MMA and shoot wrestling. He has a very nasty ground game and this fight shows it off.

Kobsaka is also extremely well respected in the ring and cage. He has had tenures in the UFC and in Pride. This match is actually a great example of how some presentation tweaks could make postion grappling just as compelling as say flippy dippy shit.

Kobsaka is actually fighting an European Sumo Wrestler at a Rizin Show this year at the age of 46.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9je0t_volk-han-vs-tsuyoshi-kohsaka-rings_sport

Past Days

I'm torn between being happy Tye has a chant that is over when he isn't even on the main roster and being annoyed to shit every time the crowd screams ten for the count-outs.

Seems like we're truly moving away from roster divisions existing on different planets, Carmella + Ellsworth is a hilarious unexpected combination.

Adree

Great Smackdown. Really makes Raw look like terrible shit.

I finished FFXV.... it had really good music? Some of the grossest "we removed this bit for dlc" in any game I've ever played.

ReiGun

Smackdown was back to form this week after a couple lackluster shows. Starting and continuing storylines, good matches, Becky Lynch as La Generica, everybody shootin'.

I must say I'm turning around on Baron Corbin. He's definitely come along in the ring and on the mic since the brand split. I also like how they're showing restraint and not pushing him to the moon, but rather letting him develop and grow while also planting the seeds for his eventual main event push down the line.

UberTag

Smackdown was back to form this week after a couple lackluster shows. Starting and continuing storylines, good matches, Becky Lynch as La Generica, everybody shootin'.

I must say I'm turning around on Baron Corbin. He's definitely come along in the ring and on the mic since the brand split. I also like how they're showing restraint and not pushing him to the moon, but rather letting him develop and grow while also planting the seeds for his eventual main event push down the line.
Corbin has improved immeasurably in the ring compared with when he was first called up. I was pretty darn impressed tonight.

That said, I don't exactly see him as a marketable A-list talent. When I think of potential candidates for that, I think of the Jason Jordans of the world.

ReiGun

Corbin has improved immeasurably in the ring compared with when he was first called up. I was pretty darn impressed tonight.

That said, I don't exactly see him as a marketable A-list talent. When I think of potential candidates for that, I think of the Jason Jordans of the world.

I get that. I personally don't think he has the look of a major star. However, they've pretty much admitted those are their plans for him, so I at least give them credit for giving him time to get ready to be at that level. Think about how many big men they wasted during the 2000's giving them these crazy rocket pushes.

I could see him getting the Kane/Big Show slot for this generation. Big guy who gets a small handful of title reigns that keep him credible and looking like a threat even as he mostly hangs out in the midcard. Which is not a bad ceiling to have at all.

And Jason Jordan needs to get out of American Alpha before they waste him.

shanafan

Bought my single ticket to Raw coming to Detroit on March 13. It's an awesome time of the year to go since Wrestlemania is getting built up, and the card would still be rather fresh. Sitting lower bowl, row 6 facing the camera. Pretty easy to get a good seat when you just need one, lol.

My wife went to Smackdown with me last night, and she actually enjoyed the first 90 minutes. Pretty good for someone that really isn't into wrestling. She enjoyed the "soap drama" stuff with Natalya and Nikki, and the Miz but I think the Baron Corbin match wore her out. Stayed for all of 205, but I think the main event (TJ/Swann vs Kendrick/Neville) was her nail in the coffin. But, she was a great sport about it.

Can someone make a list of top 5-10 matches of 2016 ? 2016 was the year where I missed out on a lot of wrestling. I think the top matches for me were Aj Styles vs John Cena, AJ styles vs Roman Reigns from the PPV after wrestlemania, the three team ladder match from ROH that Young Bucks won, Colt Cabana vs Dalton Castle from Final Battle.... You guys have any other matches that need to be seen?

Top Bottom