• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
WWE needs to be more promo intensive like the late 80s.- Put that picture-in-picture back onto our programming. Throw to the back with someone who lends a bunch of class to it with a distinctive look and voice. Sorry Renee Young, you're too boring - we need a new Mean Gene, a person with a unique look that classes up the place. Young is classy for sure, but doesn't stand out in any way.

jmdajr

WWE needs to be more promo intensive like the late 80s.- Put that picture-in-picture back onto our programming. Throw to the back with someone who lends a bunch of class to it with a distinctive look and voice. Sorry Renee Young, you're too boring - we need a new Mean Gene, a person with a unique look that classes up the place. Young is classy for sure, but doesn't stand out in any way.

Leave Renee alone!

jred2k

When did the whole 20 minute promo to start a show thing start? Is that a product of the Attitude Era and longer shows, or something else? It seems like something that was born of Stone Cold vs. McMahons confrontations basically.

bjork

I would love to see the little oval in the corner with a guy talking shit about whoever his PPV opponent is set to be. "Miz, you little hairless twat, I'm gonna squash you and fuck your old lady!" or whatever. Sadly, they're too busy giving away PPV matches for free, so by the time they meet on PPV, they've already tangled a jillion times and no one cares. The whole thing needs rebuilt from the bottom.

And yes, a new Mean Gene. I don't want some Mick Foley type, trying to get himself over in the process bullshit. A guy with a strong voice and maybe even wears the tuxedo all the time. Hell, I'll do it.

When did the whole 20 minute promo to start a show thing start? Is that a product of the Attitude Era and longer shows, or something else? It seems like something that was born of Stone Cold vs. McMahons confrontations basically.

Definitely Attitude Era. I don't remember when it went to 2 hours, but when RAW was 1h, they didn't have time for that shit. They were busy showing the product, and you might get one interview segment, but it was listed like a special event rather than an every-episode thing.

Ithil

ZHmZd6m.gif

1) HBK mistave taught her a thing or 2

2) Nikki's finisher is the burning Hammer??

It was a hell of a target to be fair.

Striker

For sure. let people do more quick promos to build up their characters and get them over. right now they have to rely on commentary to go "well, xavier woods is kinda into the 90s"
It's exposition every match. I hear the same story from Cole all the time. And also, I know he's reading from a script, but lord can the tone of his voice change? Commentary for the company is so wretched. I blame Vince.

Aiii

So not worth it
Says a lot considering how boring she is, and how her being effective at what she does is such a big thing. I like her, but she's not UNIQUE dammit!

She's unique because she's not a wooden puppet reading off of script.

I feel like we've come full circle.

It's exposition every match. I hear the same story from Cole all the time. And also, I know he's reading from a script, but lord can the tone of his voice change? Commentary for the company is so wretched. I blame Vince.

"We'll see you after the break, when Raw rolls on..."

bjork

I think it actually started with the nWo in 1996 and then Vince started to use that template in 1997. Then it became a staple.

To be fair, I watched pre-nWo episodes of ECW that did it as well. Maybe not 20 minutes, but starting the show with a promo and then it would descend into chaos for the rest of the show.

First, don't blame Vince, he's a great guy.

Second yeah the exposing of what Michael Cole did with Ziggler at TLC and then Raw? Incredibly painfully scripted. So bad.

She's unique because she's not a wooden puppet reading off of script.

I feel like we've come full circle.

Goddammit.

jred2k

Eventually it will get to the point where he yada yadas over calling any in-ring action.

Odds are against him, yada yada yada, John Cena with the AA and the win.

jmdajr

Renee feels sincere. Looks alone wouldn't be enough, she has "it."

I guess we've hit rock bottom when we got to start dumping on her.

strobogo

Banned
Says a lot considering how boring she is, and how her being effective at what she does is such a big thing. I like her, but she's not UNIQUE dammit!

She's unique on the basis that:

A. She's a YAK
B. She's likable
C. She is the only person on the announce staff that looks like she cares about her and enjoys wrestling.

To be fair, I watched pre-nWo episodes of ECW that did it as well. Maybe not 20 minutes, but starting the show with a promo and then it would descend into chaos for the rest of the show.

Possibly. A lot of early Raws started with promos, but in ring interviews and not 20 minutes of monologues.

Alls I'm saying is Renee Young doesn't have the IT factor that Mean Gene had.

Michael Hayes didn't have it.
Todd Pettengill didn't have it.
Matt Striker didn't have it.
Josh Matthews didn't have it.

Mean Gene must be one of a kind. It'll be a sad day when he passes away. Best interviewer ever.

strobogo

Banned
Mene was incredible, but too cheesy for today's age. It doesn't work.

Only old fucks like us can appreciate him.

I think I liked him more in WCW. At least as an in ring interviewer. And only after the nWo. Before that....eeek.

What's up with the excess use of YAK lately?

Why can't you just say she's a pretty lady and leave it at that Strob?

Because they're called YAKs. Squacking, quacking YAKS. Lady? YAK.

ijOwQdpV2T5Se.gif

Ithil

I don't think she, she seems like a rare find to me, and exactly what WWE have wanted in a female interviewer. She's cute and pretty, but not in a super hot way that distracts from whoever she's interviewing, she's natural and enthusiastic instead of robotic or scripted sounding, and she's a fan already so she doesn't sound clueless when talking about wrestling.

I expect she will be around for years. They've been looking for their ideal female interviewer for years and years now. Renee fits their needs best so far.

Xater

Mean gene had the benefit of interview coke heads .

Also I blame Vince for how bad JBL is. You can tell he his Vince's mouthpiece

I wouldn't even mind that if the commentators would just talk more about what is actually happening in the ring and not try to promote some shit.

strobogo

Banned
You mean like selfies for Twitter and Snapchat?

Don't try to pin some misogynist role on me. I'm a full supporter of YAKS, YAK rights, and YAK empowerment. Also, I enjoy boobs.

Penguin

Yeah I remember it being a huge product of the nWo era WCW because Hogan (and a lot of their stars) didn't wrestle every week and they had 2 hours to fill.

My problem with the promo format is a lot of times there's no reason for it other than we need to start the show with a promo.

Like sometimes, it is used to set up the main event like last night, which makes no sense.. what was the purpose of the promo then? What if Cena never spoke up?

The problem I think is there's so little flow to the show from week to week so there aren't a ton of pressing issues at the start of the show... and when there is.. pushed aside.

It's weird booking at times.

hey did you know that sin cara once had a comic book about him in mexico

You know who would be one of the best interviewers and have a unique look? Dolph Lundgren. God he's amazing.

syNREaN.jpg

Guy is gifted with speech, attractive, wonderful

Only issue is that he's a giant compared to half of the roster. Doesn't really work. Gotta have an interviewer be one of the smaller folks.

Hasney

You know who would be one of the best interviewers and have a unique look? Dolph Lundgren. God he's amazing.

syNREaN.jpg

Guy is gifted with speech, attractive, wonderful

Only issue is that he's a giant compared to half of the roster. Doesn't really work. Gotta have an interviewer be one of the smaller folks.

So what you're saying is bring back Smackdown's #1 Announcer?

38s.gif

They definitely should pepper the shows with pre-shot promos and live-interviews like the old Superstars and Challenge show. Most of the characters/personality aren't really over.

And they definitely need to cut back on having talent matches before a PPV. It takes away from the whole purpose of a pay per view event, which is the match ups and the stories that come from it. It's no wonder the UFC is kicking their butt in this regard. You look forward to key matchups (obviously they have no control if it'll be a great match or not, which is one advantage wrestling has).

Mid-South Wrestlefest '85;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3djy6o8cKE

. Al Perez vs. Mark Ragin
. One Man Gang vs. Wendell Cooley
. Barbarian (John Nord) vs. Brickhouse Brown
. The Fantastics vs. Eddie Gilbert & Jerry Gray
. Ted DiBiase vs. Jake The Snake Roberts
. Dutch Mantell vs. Butch Reed
. Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes
. Bill Watts, Hacksaw Duggan & Dick Murdoch vs Kareem Muhammed, Kamala & Skandor Akbar

Penguin

They definitely should pepper the shows with pre-shot promos and live-interviews like the old Superstars and Challenge show. Most of the characters/personality aren't really over.

And they definitely need to cut back on having talent matches before a PPV. It takes away from the whole purpose of a pay per view event, which is the match ups and the stories that come from it. It's no wonder the UFC is kicking their butt in this regard. You look forward to key matchups (obviously they have no control if it'll be a great match or not, which is one advantage wrestling has).

Yeah... it's a tough sell because you wanna see big matches

But at the same time, why should I bother with the PPVs when you'll give me most of the card the week before or the night after on TV?

Mid-South Wrestlefest '85;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3djy6o8cKE

. Al Perez vs. Mark Ragin
. One Man Gang vs. Wendell Cooley
. Barbarian (John Nord) vs. Brickhouse Brown
. The Fantastics vs. Eddie Gilbert & Jerry Gray
. Ted DiBiase vs. Jake The Snake Roberts
. Dutch Mantell vs. Butch Reed
. Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes
. Bill Watts, Hacksaw Duggan & Dick Murdoch vs Kareem Muhammed, Kamala & Skandor Akbar

Hooooooly fucking shit, thanks for posting this, putting this on Watch Later. Gonna be amazing. Goddamn great quality too! Fuck that's beautiful.

Mengetsu

Hahah oh Vince
The reason RAW announcers JBL, Michael Cole and Jerry Lawler were taking "selfies" during last night's show is because Vince McMahon is not a fan of President Barack Obama. The "selfies" were done as a rib to Obama after he was seen taking a photo with British Prime Minister David Cameron and Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt at Nelson Mandela's funeral last week in South Africa.

Also: Nikki Bella posted the photo below on Instagram of a blood-stained towel after she took the nasty superkick from Tamina Snuka on last night's RAW. There was some concern that she may have lost a tooth but apparently she didn't.

Bless that kick.

Top Bottom