• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Heel

Nowhere near prime
oAPji1J.gif

iqpRpgZCSpjeB.gif

Actually I agree with you.
They prefer WWE-style sports entertainment over pure wrestling... WHEN it's done well.
The problem is that Vince would rather waste potential and book by the seat of his pants without any long-term planning to the detriment of his product.

Totally agree with this part. Vince's/Stephanie's/Creative's lack of long term booking has been bad for

So I agree with you. The problem is that what the WWE puts out as sports entertainment these days is a pale imitation of what it delivered during the Attitude era. And it's the nostalgia for that era and the mere glimpses of potential (because people kid themselves into believing an angle will actually deliver) that keeps them tuned in week after week.

However, I disagree with this. There were just as many problems with long-term booking in 1998 and 1999 than there are in 2013. It's just that the product was hotter and as a fan, you liked the main stars better so you put up with more of the bullshit. The Corporate Ministry, just for one main event example, was just as dumb as The Authority, but involved Vince McMahon, Steve Austin, and The Undertaker instead of Triple H, John Cena, and Randy Orton, so you it was easier to keep down.

In all reality, the only time the WWE had true long term booking and continuity like Internet fans (like me) want in recent history (ie. since they had weekly TV with star vs star matches) was 2000 with Chris Kreski as head writer.

That and the talent - there's some great performers working for that company even if they're being booked in aimless even-steven programs and given very little to work with.

Sure, week to week, there are more good matches on WWE TV than there probably has ever been, with maybe the exception of the Smackdown Six-era or the hot stretch during the beginning of 2000.

The WWE concept is a winning concept. However, it succeeds today in spite of Vince NOT because of him.

I'd say the reason it succeeds is because what Vince and company has built. At this point, yeah, Vince is probably a negative on the product, but it's not as if Vince and even Stephanie and Triple H were gone, it'd suddenly would be 80's Mid-South or even Attitude Era WWE. There are sponsors to please, there are demographics to hit, and so on. The WWE is a global business brand on the stock market, not a 'rasslin company that happened to hit it big.

And you're an idiot if you think the sole reason people bitch about the WWE is because "their favorites don't win all the time". That's bullshit.

Ever time Daniel Bryan loses, it's treated as if he'll be jobbing to Fandango or Santino Marella the next week. He's an upper midcarder whose likely to be the focus of their biggest non-WWE 'event' show (ie. Total Diva's) with his wedding. Bryan is totally safe. But he'll never be and probably never was going to be, even with great booking, a crossover mainstream star. At most, he was going to be Bret Hart without the national heroism.

XenoRaven

So I've seen this match before, but the spear wasn't shown at this angle but in a video WWE uploaded of Goldberg spears, it's shown in a different angle and wow. I slowed it down a little.
O12nnc7.gif

The lights going off. Their bodies movement. This shit is borderline art.
Who's getting speared? I can't really tell. I want to say Lance Storm but I thought he wore tights, not trunks.

TL21xx

Banned
Already in the eating stage of depression

That tends to happen when you're the Dark Match.

Got back from Raw myself, and totally agree with Bionic. The crowd got hot halfway through the night, but that was around when it peaked. Really hard to get much going after that. Really fun event in person though. What section were you in Bionic?

What do you guys think about wrestlers like AJ, Nikki, and Cena wearing sneakers in the ring?

I hope it leads to Cena getting a sneaker deal and his own shoe.

Lol Zack Ryder trying to eat fast food healthy. Small drink and lettuce wrapped burgers if your gonna eat fast food just eat it all bad. Zack not really fat though Miz is getting doughy and JTG IS FAT

That tends to happen when you're the Dark Match.

Got back from Raw myself, and totally agree with Bionic. The crowd got hot halfway through the night, but that was around when it peaked. Really hard to get much going after that. Really fun event in person though. What section were you in Bionic?

34 I believe. The camera crane was pretty much blocking me all night lol. But since I was close enough to the action it didn't really bother me much.

I see a bunch of models in that video, but no female wrestlers. That's the problem.

Eh. A variety of Diva's started off as models and turned into decent wrestlers. Hell, the Bella's have improved in the past couple of months, probably via osmosis by sleeping with two of the better workers on the roster.

It was a goofy spot during the Christmas RAW show. The horror!

Aiii

So not worth it
I see a bunch of models in that video, but no female wrestlers. That's the problem.

Naomi can wrestle just fine if NXT was anything to go by. Natalya definitely can't be called a model.

Aside from Cameron and Aksana I'd say all the women have been improving quite a bit, I guess we can thank SDR for that one or maybe it's internal competition because they want to get more over than AJ, I don't know, but whatever they're doing if they just stopped agreeing to do bullshit spots like this over time the crowd would hopefully catch on to that and stop treating them like jokes.

I dunno, maybe that's just me and I'm dead wrong. Of course the women serve a special role in that they're used as eye candy for the male audience, but the men have no problem being serious wrestler and still getting over with the female audience. After all, it's always gonna be barely dressed people rolling around with other barely dressed people.

*shrug* I just don't understand.

Nobody stands up in the WWE because they're the only game in town. Unless you want to go to TNA and work at a Sunglass Hut on the side, like Madison Rayne.

You're forgetting the main purpose for the Diva's that have been alluded to in various shoot interviews. A way for the male wrestlers to "vent" without getting involved with female fans and causing lawsuits as a result.

Also, in general, wrestling fans are misogynistic assholes. Even the besainted ROH fans chant 'Sloppy Seconds' at Maria for daring to have a relationship with Punk in the past and then hooking up with another wrestler.

So, in that way, Diva's have a much higher bar to clear to get any respect. But, in all reality, it was the Christmas RAW show. Outside of Tribute to the Troops, it's the most out of continuity show in the WWE calendar.

Xater

Woke up and saw all those Christie Hemme gifs. Good job guys. I always had a thing for her. Too bad she is at TNA.

That Christmas RAW already looks horrendous. I should probably skip that.

the harsh reality of women is WWE is this, there's 2 types of them:

1 - hired, Kelly Kelly-style fuck toys for the boys on the road
2 - legit marks who think being a Diva's champion means shit and train for it, too ugly to be 1

Wait, what? New Japan have announced Wrestle Kingdom will have Spanish commentary;

http://www.njpw.co.jp/news/detail.php?nid=10787

Going by that article, it seems like the www.ustream.tv/njpw page will have the Spanish commentary and the www.ustream.tv/njpwjp will have the Japanese commentary - however, it also says you can only buy the Japanese stream from any "yen-denominated settlement" :/

However, on the English version of the site is says under the link to the normal NJPW ustream page "This time, Spanish Commentary is also available!" so hopefully there is the option to switch, or maybe they'll get an English commentary team as well.

G-Fex

2 - legit marks who think being a Diva's champion means shit and train for it, too ugly to be 1

Where does AJ fall then?

Cause I don't see her as a stupid fuck toy like kelly kelly or any other blondes in the past

Where does AJ fall then?

Cause I don't see her as a stupid fuck toy like kelly kelly or any other blondes in the past

I don't know, ask CM Punk about that. If he doesn't already have his eye on Paige or Emma.

However, on the English version of the site is says under the link to the normal NJPW ustream page "This time, Spanish Commentary is also available!" so hopefully there is the option to switch, or maybe they'll get an English commentary team as well.

Why the heck would you want an English commentary team? It's not like there's a bunch of complicated angles. Go look at the Internet for five minutes and you'll have the basic story for every match at the Tokyo Dome.

UberTag

Where does AJ fall then?

Clearly she's a different kind of fuck toy.
CM Punk needs a challenge to be satisfied. Not every guy is satisfied with stupid and easy.
She's also a mark for the business so AJ kind of blurs the lines between 1 and 2.

punk+crazy+chicks.png

Ugh, I feel so awful writing that.

Also, in general, wrestling fans are misogynistic assholes. Even the besainted ROH fans chant 'Sloppy Seconds' at Maria for daring to have a relationship with Punk in the past and then hooking up with another wrestler.

Next you'll be telling me there are blatantly misogynistic posts in this thread.

Oh...

Ever time Daniel Bryan loses, it's treated as if he'll be jobbing to Fandango or Santino Marella the next week. He's an upper midcarder whose likely to be the focus of their biggest non-WWE 'event' show (ie. Total Diva's) with his wedding. Bryan is totally safe. But he'll never be and probably never was going to be, even with great booking, a crossover mainstream star

An upper mid carder that was main eventing 3 PPVs this year including 1 of the big 3? I think it's safe to say he's a main eventer given how protected he is in all his losses, his booking on the card, and his popularity. Just because he's not going to have the cross media presence like The Rock it doesn't mean he's only in the upper mid card.

Next you'll be telling me there are blatantly misogynistic posts in this thread.

Oh...

Unfortunately, he's mostly right. Which isn't the Diva's fault. Or any other woman in WWE, even Steph. They've entered a misogynistic business that has a track record with women that has been horrible all the way back to the days when Moolah was pimping out her girls.

Top Bottom