• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Working my way through the wXw / CZW / BJW World Triangle League - on day 2 now, Daisuke Sekimoto vs Drake Younger was excellent;

iygu9Gh8WzHkE.gif

Sekimoto is a goddamn beast. I really wish US indies would bring in more Japanese talent - if European promotions can get in guys from BJW, NOAH, New Japan, Michinoku Pro, etc, then what's stopping the US promotions?

strobogo

Banned
I think I'd rather re watch all of WCW 2000 than watch another second of this CZW show. And this is supposed to be one of their better shows.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Best bit of CZW to watch is the Nick Mondo documentary.
That's the only time I ever had any interest in the promotion, and it was mostly morbid.

Xater

I think I'd rather re watch all of WCW 2000 than watch another second of this CZW show. And this is supposed to be one of their better shows.

Now you have to finish the review. I never really watched CZW because it always just looked really trashy. I liked me some ECW back then but these days a lot of the hardcore stuff is just too dangerous and I am not a big fan of that.

strobogo

Banned
I'm only half way through the show and I'm already past the Cage of Death itself. Just the normal wrestling makes me want to die.

I've never rated H's as an in-ring performer compared to his peers and his promo style bores me to death - the DX stuff was fun at the time, but so much of that was on the other guys involved in the group and not H's. If I had to name my favourite H's match, it would be that one time he wrestled TAKA Michinoku. Lastly, he has the distinction of boring me so much that I actually quit watching wrestling altogether in 2002.

strobogo said:

Zandig is disappointed in your lack of resolve.

ij4UBGg05z0dn.png

ibwkofx2sHTlbh.gif

I'm only half way through the show and I'm already past the Cage of Death itself. Just the normal wrestling makes me want to die.

I thought you would have liked the normal 'wrestling'! It's so botch-arific and gif worthy.

Xater

Yeah I watched some of the newest COD and it doesn't seem to hold up compared to ROH for example. If I have to watch some US indy stuff it's definitely ROH. Years ago I also watched some Chikara, mostly for the insane booking.

Ithil

On the Triple H promo, I will commend him for something he does that most of the people in NXT don't do whne it comes to promos, in that HHH doesn't look at the hard camera side when he's talking, but instead he's turned around to talk directly to the crowd.

Much better for engaging the audience.

Working my way through the wXw / CZW / BJW World Triangle League - on day 2 now, Daisuke Sekimoto vs Drake Younger was excellent;

iygu9Gh8WzHkE.gif

Sekimoto is a goddamn beast. I really wish US indies would bring in more Japanese talent - if European promotions can get in guys from BJW, NOAH, New Japan, Michinoku Pro, etc, then what's stopping the US promotions?

I was always curious about this. I guess DGUSA but really, we need so much mroe.

UK magazine PowerSlam have released their 2013 Top 50 Wrestlers, which is based on in-ring performances;

25. Matt Jackson
26. Nick Jackson

:)

The Man That Velocity Forgot
i.gif

and yeah Richochet and Doi are a fun team
q.gif

I need to watch more DG.

Yeah I watched some of the newest COD and it doesn't seem to hold up compared to ROH for example. If I have to watch some US indy stuff it's definitely ROH. Years ago I also watched some Chikara, mostly for the insane booking.

Right now, best in the US is PWG. I would rather watch AAW or AIW than ROH which is upsetting considering how great that promotion used to be. I would love to go back and watch shows from 03-06. Just good fun there.

Xater

Right now, best in the US is PWG. I would rather watch AAW or AIW than ROH which is upsetting considering how great that promotion used to be. I would love to go back and watch shows from 03-06. Just good fun there.

Ok I have not seen anything of PWG yet. Maybe if I am in an indy mood I'll look into it.

DMczaf

Savio Vega Appreciation Hour?

I'll allow it! The Leader of the New Generation! The man wrestled FOUR matches in a single night at King of the Ring! Unprecedented!

I was always curious about this. I guess DGUSA but really, we need so much mroe.

It's probably that they don't think enough people would know of Japanese talent for them to be a big enough draw to cover the cost of flying them in. Same reason it's so difficult for European talent to get booked in the US. I'm guessing DGUSA get their fly-ins paid for by the Japanese DG office.

FallingEdge said:
I need to watch more DG.

Open the Dragon Gate has you covered;

http://www.openthedragongate.com/

There's a Oretachi Veteran-gun vs Millenials tag match on the latest episode of Infinity that was just awesome. Also, FINAL GATE is this Sunday!!!

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate

strobogo

Banned
I've never rated H's as an in-ring performer compared to his peers and his promo style bores me to death - the DX stuff was fun at the time, but so much of that was on the other guys involved in the group and not H's. If I had to name my favourite H's match, it would be that one time he wrestled TAKA Michinoku. Lastly, he has the distinction of boring me so much that I actually quit watching wrestling altogether in 2002.

Zandig is disappointed in your lack of resolve.

ij4UBGg05z0dn.png

ibwkofx2sHTlbh.gif

I thought you would have liked the normal 'wrestling'! It's so botch-arific and gif worthy.

It's just fucking bad. It's like every match is an Evan Karagias mirror match. And occasionally Konnan shows up. But I am going to finish it.

Xater

So, uh, is Natalya incapable of speaking like a human being? She always just sounds bizarre when talking.

You just watched NXT right? Yeah that was bad. She even said some stuff before Emma could respond first. She was just awful in that.

It's probably that they don't think enough people would know of Japanese talent for them to be a big enough draw to cover the cost of flying them in. Same reason it's so difficult for European talent to get booked in the US. I'm guessing DGUSA get their fly-ins paid for by the Japanese DG office.

Open the Dragon Gate has you covered;

http://www.openthedragongate.com/

There's a Oretachi Veteran-gun vs Millenials tag match on the latest episode of Infinity that was just awesome. Also, FINAL GATE is this Sunday!!!

http://www.ustream.tv/dragonGate

fantastico

and yeah, that has to be the case but even then, I would think that there is still a fair amount of crossover appeal. Back when ROH brought people over from NOAH, there seemed to be a good amount of success. Or is it that times are different now and that there no longer a desire to see that.

good ol Big E

Ithil

Hmm, seeing the American Wolves in shockingly NOT a squash on NXT, yeah I think they would be perfect to sign to the tag team division, they fit just fine in the WWE style. Richards might have his problems with no selling but he's not gonna be allowed to do that in NXT, so it's not an issue.

The Ascension still do the opposite and descend me into sleep.

strobogo

Banned
The closest thing I have to a next project is something of a 2000 remaster. A lot of the shows are easily found online and there were a lot of gifs that would be much better with Gifcam than what I used when I did them.

How about some rare 90's indie wrestling?

http://www.youtube.com/user/indiewrestling/videos

I see a Cactus Jack vs Paul Orndorf match there.

Ithil said:
Hmm, seeing the American Wolves in shockingly NOT a squash on NXT, yeah I think they would be perfect to sign to the tag team division, they fit just fine in the WWE style. Richards might have his problems with no selling but he's not gonna be allowed to do that in NXT, so it's not an issue.

The whole thing with Richards no selling came about because of those matches for the ROH title when he was on top - you listen to interviews with him around the time and it's clear he felt he had a lot to live up to, because guys previously like Danielson, Joe, Punk and Aries had put on all these epic matches and really led the company from the top. So, rather than wrestling a more compact, 15-20 minute match that more suited his style (as Joe mostly did when he had the title), he was having these 30+ minute epics with near-fall after near-fall and, for whatever reason, it just didn't work for him like it did with Bryan or Aries. Also, the faux MMA stuff was a bit much at times and they clearly took things too far with the 'fighting spirit' no-selling, but if you watch Davey's matches in NOAH and New Japan, it shows how smart he can be in the ring when working with more constraints on what he can and can't do. I've no doubt that him & Eddie can do well in WWE, given the chance, and I'd love to see them be a part of a proper tag team revival in the WWE.

FallingEdge said:
and yeah, that has to be the case but even then, I would think that there is still a fair amount of crossover appeal. Back when ROH brought people over from NOAH, there seemed to be a good amount of success. Or is it that times are different now and that there no longer a desire to see that.

I don't think times have changed that much, the ROH style is still pretty influenced by Japanese wrestling, but maybe the audiences have changed slightly. I'm not sure that really matters, though, as I doubt the majority of the audience were familiar with the likes of KENTA, Marufuji & Morishima before they came over and made a name for themselves with the ROH crowd. Although, I think Gabe's insistence of using Japanese talent and the costs involved was one of the reasons ROH got rid of him, irrc.

jred2k

The closest thing I have to a next project is something of a 2000 remaster. A lot of the shows are easily found online and there were a lot of gifs that would be much better with Gifcam than what I used when I did them.

Before you start 2000 again you should have them put your picture on the "Do Not Sell To" board at the liquor store. Was it that or 2001 that made you puking sick for a few days?

bjork

On the Triple H promo, I will commend him for something he does that most of the people in NXT don't do whne it comes to promos, in that HHH doesn't look at the hard camera side when he's talking, but instead he's turned around to talk directly to the crowd.

Much better for engaging the audience.

Depending on the taping, it may just be that he can't get a reaction from the empty seats, so he looks away from the hard camera.

strobogo

Banned
Before you start 2000 again you should have them put your picture on the "Do Not Sell To" board at the liquor store. Was it that or 2001 that made you puking sick for a few days?

2000, but I'm not re watching everything. I'm going to go through the reviews and just re do the gifs and maybe add a few new ones. The only full show I'll probably rewatch is the Reboot Show, which was full of gifs. No fucking way will I actually rewatch 1998-2001 ever again.

Ithil

Depending on the taping, it may just be that he can't get a reaction from the empty seats, so he looks away from the hard camera.

The hard camera side is more or less a wall with a couple of rows of seats, so I would not blame him for not wanting to talk to a wall instead of the bleachers full of fans. Of course his promo was directed at the crowd in the building rather than the TV crowd so it's not surprising.

Whats with Kofi's chest? does he skip chest day or did he get injured? I find it pretty disturbing and kinda gross. He should deff wear a shirt

Top Bottom