• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
WHOA this should be good

tumblr_mxc6ngtpJG1qitwglo1_500.jpg

for the awesome women wrestling thread

tumblr_mw2wf6IlMP1sk0i2mo4_250.gif

There's no joshi thread in OT yet right? Thanks to that joshi anime I'm watching I want to know more of it...

jmdajr

if they're going to keep treating the gamepad like an optional peripheral... they should probably make it an optional peripheral >_>

and I love the gamepad.

either way, it still wouldn't help much. they sold the Gamecube at $99 with Mario Kart bundled and that still sold fuck all.

I find the PS4 vs. Xbone console wars shit was more insufferable than the Nintendoomed stuff, it's up there though

I tried visiting gaming side yesterday. Big mistake. People posting these long elaborate explanations when all they have to say is MS is poopey. For real, I think I would respect that more. Just be honest.

So I went to visit some of my wife's relatives a few weeks back. Her Uncle's kids had a PS3. They had it hooked up to their HDTV with Composite. Not component, Composite. For whatever reason 480p was normal to them.

probably used to all those Wii years

Imagine how happy they are with that. They are living In a golden age where resolution means nothing to them.

Recall

More Joshi gifs please.

For WWF though it was Summerslam 1994 when Bull Nakano faced Alundra Blaze and made her cry by being so stiff and stretching the shit out of her. So brutal.

jmdajr

Imagine how happy they are with that. They are living In a golden age where resolution means nothing to them.

I actually went out and bought them an HDMI capable. The younger kid about 13 asked me what the difference was after I set it to 720p/1080p whatever the TV rez was.

I'm wondering what percentage of the gaming audience as a whole cares/understands these things.

gurudyne

I think WWE would be well-served returning to a 4 PPV structure, as having 4 BIG DEAL PPVs will likely draw more, en toto, than 11 "eh" PPVs, with only Wrestlemania being truly reliable.

No way. Eleven or twelve PPVs will still draw in good money. To pull in casuals, all they have to do is make four of them shine like the RR and WM (and to a lesser degree, SS) do right now.

I actually went out and bought them an HDMI capable. The younger kid about 13 asked me what the difference was after I set it to 720p/1080p whatever the TV rez was.

I'm wondering what percentage of the gaming audience as a whole cares/understands these things.

Not very much if at all. I'm sure they don't even know the difference.

WOW, this match is freaking AWESOME;

Tiger Mask vs El Canek - (NJPW 1981.12.08)

ib0tVCul0iZDaf.gif

Everyone's seen the Tiger Mask vs Dynamite Kid matches, but Tiger was having killer matches with a ton of guys back in the early 80's and this one's no exception. Such a great high flyer, easily the best in the world at the time. Canek's no slouch either, the veteran trying to ground his smaller opponent with some great mat work (check out that sweet-ass surfboard pin). Things break down towards the end as the hatred rises, but what a fun finish. Highly recommended viewing and, hell, it's only 13 minutes.

jmdajr

Not very much if at all. I'm sure they don't even know the difference.

I have tons of anecdotal evidence of people with HDTVs running video at 480p.

Drives me crazy but that's how it is. I think MS did their homework and took the gamble saying it wouldn't matter. The war will be lost/won on totally different things.

Recall

Always reminds me when I went to a friends house and the red hue was always set so bright it looked horrific, but to the the family they couldn't see the problem as to them it was correct.

jmdajr

Oh yeah wrestling.

Got my tix to TLC. I'll be sitting dead center so I should have a good look at those handsome boys The Shield as the come down.

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu! Kawaii!

No way. Eleven or twelve PPVs will still draw in good money. To pull in casuals, all they have to do is make four of them shine like the RR and WM (and to a lesser degree, SS) do right now.

I wonder if they would ever entertain the idea of WM for free on NBC. It draws a million buys right now, but putting your biggest show on a major network would probably bring in at least 15 million viewers, would build up the brand, more people watching and more people talking about it.

gurudyne

I wonder if they would ever entertain the idea of WM for free on NBC. It draws a million buys right now, but putting your biggest show on a major network would probably bring in at least 15 million viewers, would build up the brand, more people watching and more people talking about it.

Feels like it would cheapen the product to give the biggest show of the year away for free. I can see a B-tier PPV (maybe Elim Chamber for Road to WM hype) instead though.

Feels like it would cheapen the product to give the biggest show of the year away for free. I can see a B-tier PPV (maybe Elim Chamber for Road to WM hype) instead though.

Was going to say if not mania maybe another one. Would be pretty cool. But also the 4 major sports all give their championships for free, UFC has done free fights with huge ratings. I know its different based on WWE model.

Ithil

Not a chance. They are considering giving WM for free on the Network right after it launches, in order to ensure it launches big. When you can get WM for 14.99 instead of 69.99 or whatever, a lot more people would buy it.

Whether they can keep most of said subscribers past the WM month, would be another matter.

Ithil

Well let Kofi go with them, then. Punk can let the both of them win at video games. Just put Hunico in his pants and bandana and nobody'll notice.

Ziggler vs. Bryan would likely be a HUGE money drain. Ziggler's done, for realz. Jobbing to Sandow two weeks in a row is WWE insulting him before he gets future endeavored. And while Bryan has alot of potential to become a major star even now, SS proves that he's not a draw unto himself yet, as such things take time. For better or worse, Cena and Orton have a decade of credibility behind them, and they're both more likely to draw in casual viewers for a "big match" than either Ziggler or Bryan, sadly.

Now, as of next year, when ratings'll likely be what matter more than anything, with the big TV deal? Different story. Bryan was undeniably a ratings draw after SS, as was shown in this thread every week. Honestly, once that happens, I think WWE would be well-served returning to a 4 PPV structure, as having 4 BIG DEAL PPVs will likely draw more, en toto, than 11 "eh" PPVs, with only Wrestlemania being truly reliable.

Edit: I'm just hoping we get some funny moments out of the Slammies, like Booker reacting to The Boogeyman coming out for no reason. Anything else is cake.

There's the problem. How is this time supposed to build him up, when they refuse to do anything with him? His "main event run" consisted of three months of all his flaws being pointed out nonstop, and his strengths de-emphasized, and getting screwed at four PPVs in a row.

That doesn't build up anyone. That's just saying "a new star? Come on, we've got loads of those, we don't need this one!".

Striker

There's the problem. How is this time supposed to build him up, when they refuse to do anything with him? His "main event run" consisted of three months of all his flaws being pointed out nonstop, and his strengths de-emphasized, and getting screwed at four PPVs in a row.

That doesn't build up anyone. That's just saying "a new star? Come on, we've got loads of those, we don't need this one!".
Booking is their biggest downfall for not getting bigger stars out of several guys. Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, etc. don't have the size or star presence, but they should be bigger than they currently are. Punk especially since he was elevated in July 2011, but his momentum was quickly wiped down due to the involvement of HHH. The rest of the roster, talking about the midcard, is also always up and down and usually filled with random matches and title swaps - the titles don't mean anything and neither do the guys in the card. It's their own fault, and no one else's.

Ithil

Booking is their biggest downfall for not getting bigger stars out of several guys. Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, etc. don't have the size or star presence, but they should be bigger than they currently are. Punk especially since he was elevated in July 2011, but his momentum was quickly wiped down due to the involvement of HHH. The rest of the roster, talking about the midcard, is also always up and down and usually filled with random matches and title swaps - the titles don't mean anything and neither do the guys in the card. It's their own fault, and no one else's.

The size is vastly overrated. In fact, I don't think it's actually a factor in this day and age, the only reason it's still a "thing" is because Vince can't let go of it. In fact, Bryan's size helps him stand out, when you the crazy short bearded guy running wild after a hot tag, tearing shit up in the ring, it's instantly going to make you remember him.

And Punk and Bryan have a lot more "star presence" than Randy Orton, despite WWE's love of him. Orton sucks the air from the room most of the time.

Drives me crazy but that's how it is. I think MS did their homework and took the gamble saying it wouldn't matter. The war will be lost/won on totally different things.

I thought I was tech savvy but I cannot tell the difference between BF4 on the PS4 and Xbox. I played them both on the same tv and couldn't tell the difference.

Ithil

What would be the best starting point for NXT? Start from Season 1 or start at a more recent season?

Depends on which version you want. Season 1-4 was a C-show to RAW and Smackdown and was a competition, a small bit like Tough Enough maybe, with developmental guys competing for a spot on the roster. Season 5 was that at first, but then they forgot about it, and it just turned into a C-show featuring low card talent in their own storylines and feuds.

Last year, when Triple H overhauled developmental, he changed FCW into NXT, canned the original version of NXT, and made NXT the developmental show, filmed at Full Sail University. This started in July 2012 (or maybe June) and doesn't have a season, it just keeps going. They introduced over time, an NXT title, NXT tag titles, and a NXT women's title.

That's the one to watch that's great right now.

MC Safety

NXT was great and weird.

Wade Barrett won a title shot for winning NXT, Fandango won a toaster.

Also, I think the women's NXT season was a monumental trainwreck that deserves to be watched. Not in its entirety, but for an episode or two,

NXT was great and weird.

Also, I think the women's NXT season was a monumental trainwreck that deserves to be watched. Not in its entirety, but for an episode or two,

At least the episodes where Punk was on commentary. Gold!

tm24

I think this is due to consoles not including an hdmi cable out of the box. More and more things come with a cable so ithink we'll see more people realize what theyve been missing

jmdajr

I think this is due to consoles not including an hdmi cable out of the box. More and more things come with a cable so ithink we'll see more people realize what theyve been missing

Sure. And one day there probably wont be 720p TVs.

These days TVs only have one analog input. One day probbaly won't even have one.

You know what console came with an HDMI cable? The Wii U.

Divas NXT was amazing. Kaitlyn and AJ made it even better. :D

Ultratech

NXT was great and weird.

Season 3 was a beautiful disaster.

They literally quit giving a shit after a while and it's hilarious.

S1 was ok and it's worth seeing the ending to S2 if only for the birth of McGenesis.

Then I kinda quit watching it for a bit, and it got weird.

Oh, Ready to Rumble, you so crazy.

AWW YEAH

Rapstah

If Vince is God on occasion, and Triple H is the "King of Kings", usually meaning Jesus, doesn't that make their relationship and Triple H marrying his daughter really weird?

jmdajr

If Vince is God on occasion, and Triple H is the "King of Kings", usually meaning Jesus, doesn't that make their relationship and Triple H marrying his daughter really weird?

The title originates in the Ancient Near East. It is broadly the equivalent of the later title Emperor.

The first king known to use the title "king of kings" (šar šarrāni) was Tukulti-Ninurta I of Assyria (13th century BC). The title used to be intended quite literally, as a šar or mlk was the title of a king of a city-state, and with the formation an empire in the Late Bronze Age, the Assyrian rulers installed themselves as rulers over the existing structure of rulers (kings) of city-states.[1]

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't speak for everyone, but the general consensus here is that NJPW and NXT are pretty much the best wrestling programs going right now, except for Aiii, who thinks that Total Divas is the best. If you need promos and need everything to be in English, then you'll enjoy NXT more. If you're just looking for great matches, NJPW is perfect.

For the record, I said Total Divas was the best episodic wrestling program outside of NXT.

Which means I never said TD was better than NXT or NJPW.

Don't put that on me to prove a point!

Top Bottom