• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
I'm about to shoot right now. THIS IS A SHOOT:

*sits lotus style in the middle of WrasslinGAF*

CM Punk was in two of the best matches I've seen this year in terms of execution, hype, and event atmosphere. With both matches not even involving a damn silly gold belt. Cena is in the Triple H tier of needing a damn silly gold belt involved in his matches to make it seem bigger than it actually is. Punk is pushing his way to the HBK tier of "Fuck belts, I'm going to steal the fucking show."

Long story short: I want a fucking CM Punk/Daniel Bryan Iron Man match at WM. Belt or no belt.

My man ! For real punk has been the MVP of WWE.

tumblr_mx8nvxjCnL1rbj206o1_500.jpg

Big E

ROFLMAO at that Mysterio cloud

jred2k

I listened to a Giantbomb podcast for the first time to day. They just rambled on forever about crap, not once talking about wrestling or computer games... or bombs. Well there was a bit about Zelda at one point, but... the fuck. People rave about these podcasts and they're so full of crap.

Yeah they aren't really gaming podcasts anymore. It tries to be a comedy podcast involving people that occasionally play video games. They really don't know how to bail on a bit when it isn't working.

The wrestling podcast is a separate subscriber-only thing.

Punk/Bork was better than Bryan/Cena by a hair, I think.

Edit: But Bryan has GOT to win it, I think. Prior to his title win, nobody this year was more entertaining or consistently better in the ring, and even after his title win, he had some damn good matches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I listened to a Giantbomb podcast for the first time to day. They just rambled on forever about crap, not once talking about wrestling or computer games... or bombs. Well there was a bit about Zelda at one point, but... the fuck. People rave about these podcasts and they're so full of crap.

insert not funny non-relevant meme of giantbomb here

bjork

It helps if you've listened for awhile, I think. It's hard to say "go back and start at the beginning", though that's what I did.

Still, I've listened for a few years and I really think the best episode is the one from July 23 of this year. There isn't a lot about games on it, but I don't think there needs to be.

Also, they have a separate podcast for wrestling, so you'll rarely hear it come up on the bombcast.

jred2k

Cena's only good singles matches this year have been against Bryan and Punk. For the "champ" and face of the company to only have two good matches in a calendar year is fucking abysmal.

jmdajr

Yeah they aren't really gaming podcasts anymore. It tries to be a comedy podcast involving people that occasionally play video games. They really don't know how to bail on a bit when it isn't working.

The wrestling podcast is a separate subscriber-only thing.

Giantbomb is best during E3. They actually mostly stay on topic.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about to shoot right now. THIS IS A SHOOT:

*sits lotus style in the middle of WrasslinGAF*

CM Punk was in two of the best matches I've seen this year in terms of execution, hype, and event atmosphere. With both matches not even involving a damn silly gold belt. Cena is in the Triple H tier of needing a damn silly gold belt involved in his matches to make it seem bigger than it actually is. Punk is pushing his way to the HBK tier of "Fuck belts, I'm going to steal the fucking show."

Long story short: I want a fucking CM Punk/Daniel Bryan Iron Man match at WM. Belt or no belt.

Punk vs Bork was great. But you need to make sure - is Punk going to the HBK tier of "I don't need belts" or are people refusing to give him one?

Had the VHS version and wanted to upgrade and I got it sealed for the cheapest I've ever seen it at £20. No idea what GAF's stance is so I'll leave it be with opinions on Chris Benoit.
I found this two years ago for £15, I snapped it up but can't bring myself to watch the actual documentary in there.
I did watch the matches though, in fact I watched the cage match against Angle just last week.

Oh my God, Gaming Side is infuriating. If I see one more post about how Nintendo should drop the GamePad and sell the WiiU for $199 I'm gonna start crucifying people on chain link fences with barbed wire and hitting them in the heads with folding chairs.

Going through that Retro/Tropical Freeze thread gives me similar feelings, so much unending salt and armchair BUSINESS that encapsulates my most loathed aspects of Gaming side combined with DK as the whipping boy simply because peoples hilariously unrealistic expectations weren't met back at E3, bloody hell, pass me one of those folding chairs.

Striker

Cena's only good singles matches this year have been against Bryan and Punk. For the "champ" and face of the company to only have two good matches in a calendar year is fucking abysmal.
People today care too much about the work rate for wrestling. The issue is the characters are mostly abysmal and there's a big lack of decent storylines all around. I can't get invested in any Cena feud because it's 99% of the time the same BS with the same predictable ending in his matches, complete with commentary doing the horrendous underdog story.

Random video, but just dicking around on Youtube and now watching 1991's Saturday Night Main Event, featuring Macho Man and Vince McMahon on commentary.

strobogo

Banned
The way WWE handles continuity is so strange. TD has it's own reality, which is allegedly SHOOT reality. But TD also has their own version of what is real on WWE shows, which doesn't actually match what is reality on Raw/Smackdown. Yet Raw/SD promotes Total Divas every week.

When next-next gen begins

It will always be something. Both are good systems, let's just move on.

The only thing that really matters is if WWE 2K15 looks better than a ps2 game.

Speaking of which it seems like 2K is cleaning out the old THQ guard. They fired the community manager and Cory Ledesma (who was a lead designer I think).

Son Of D

I don't speak for everyone, but the general consensus here is that NJPW and NXT are pretty much the best wrestling programs going right now, except for Aiii, who thinks that Total Divas is the best. If you need promos and need everything to be in English, then you'll enjoy NXT more. If you're just looking for great matches, NJPW is perfect.

I don't mind whether NJPW isn't in English, as long as I get some great matches. Thanks for the recommendations.

And I should do a current fave 5, granted they're all WWE.

5. CM Punk
4. The Shield
3. Goldust (he has seriously impressed me on this return)
2. Daniel Bryan
1. Antonio Cesaro

DMczaf

Speaking of which it seems like 2K is cleaning out the old THQ guard. They fired the community manager and Cory Ledesma (who was a lead designer I think).

Oh cool, two people who probably had no decision making ability in terms of gameplay.

Yukes will be there. Then. Now. Forever.

Oh cool, two people who probably had no decision making ability in terms of gameplay.

Yukes will be there. Then. Now. Forever.

Ledesma was the creative director for about 8 years I think. So he must have had some input. The community director means nothing though.

Yukes has made some decent wrestling games, they just need proper direction. As soon as 2K got on board we started getting entrance attires. Baby steps.

gurudyne

The way WWE handles continuity is so strange. TD has it's own reality, which is allegedly SHOOT reality. But TD also has their own version of what is real on WWE shows, which doesn't actually match what is reality on Raw/Smackdown. Yet Raw/SD promotes Total Divas every week.

Logic can't derail this train. It's not even a penny on the tracks. It's a cow fart on the wind.

Cena will win Superstar of the Year. WrestleGAF will cry and say how shit doesn't matter.
Bryan wins, WrestleGAF will rejoice and talk about how he finally got his due, then mention Owen a few times and forget about both of them again.

It's not as bad as this guy here, though:
Yukes has made some decent wrestling games, they just need proper direction. As soon as 2K got on board we started getting entrance attires. Baby steps.
this guy right here, looooooooooooooool

Cena Vs. Orton is just devolving into a contest of who can make me hate them the least. It's like, wrestling can be pretty boring at points, but this rivalry and PPV is something they're making out to be a HUUUUGE deal and it bores me to tears. Why can't we just get more Ziggler and Bryan?

jmdajr

Gaming side will be hostile for the foreseeable future

edit: Before I forget.

So I went to visit some of my wife's relatives a few weeks back. Her Uncle's kids had a PS3. They had it hooked up to their HDTV with Composite. Not Component, Composite. For whatever reason 480p was normal to them.

probably used to all those Wii years

gurudyne

Cena will win Superstar of the Year. WrestleGAF will cry and say how shit doesn't matter.
Bryan wins, WrestleGAF will rejoice and talk about how he finally got his due

Sort of, yeah. The Slammies don't necessarily mean anything, they're just a look at how the WWE wants to market their stars. Cena winning means nothing because it's more of the same shoved-down-your-throat marketing that we were always going to get. Bryan winning means something different because it's a departure from the norm and gives us hope for more main event feuds with him in the future.

Anth0ny

Oh my God, Gaming Side is infuriating. If I see one more post about how Nintendo should drop the GamePad and sell the WiiU for $199 I'm gonna start crucifying people on chain link fences with barbed wire and hitting them in the heads with folding chairs.

if they're going to keep treating the gamepad like an optional peripheral... they should probably make it an optional peripheral >_>

and I love the gamepad.

either way, it still wouldn't help much. they sold the Gamecube at $99 with Mario Kart bundled and that still sold fuck all.

I find the PS4 vs. Xbone console wars shit was more insufferable than the Nintendoomed stuff, it's up there though

2 weeks alone with AJ?

CM Punk will look like he just chose the wrong Holy Grail.

Well let Kofi go with them, then. Punk can let the both of them win at video games. Just put Hunico in his pants and bandana and nobody'll notice.

Cena Vs. Orton is just devolving into a contest of who can make me hate them the least. It's like, wrestling can be pretty boring at points, but this rivalry and PPV is something they're making out to be a HUUUUGE deal and it bores me to tears. Why can't we just get more Ziggler and Bryan?

Ziggler vs. Bryan would likely be a HUGE money drain. Ziggler's done, for realz. Jobbing to Sandow two weeks in a row is WWE insulting him before he gets future endeavored. And while Bryan has alot of potential to become a major star even now, SS proves that he's not a draw unto himself yet, as such things take time. For better or worse, Cena and Orton have a decade of credibility behind them, and they're both more likely to draw in casual viewers for a "big match" than either Ziggler or Bryan, sadly.

Now, as of next year, when ratings'll likely be what matter more than anything, with the big TV deal? Different story. Bryan was undeniably a ratings draw after SS, as was shown in this thread every week. Honestly, once that happens, I think WWE would be well-served returning to a 4 PPV structure, as having 4 BIG DEAL PPVs will likely draw more, en toto, than 11 "eh" PPVs, with only Wrestlemania being truly reliable.

Edit: I'm just hoping we get some funny moments out of the Slammies, like Booker reacting to The Boogeyman coming out for no reason. Anything else is cake.

Top Bottom