• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

strobogo

Banned
Jeff Jarrett got to be NWA Champion 6 times during his run of TNA....that's more than he'd ever get from Vince.

Lol. Jarrett's runs as NWA Champion were worse than HHH's vanity runs. Being the IC Champion in 1999 was a bigger deal than being the NWA Champion at any point after WCW pulled out of the NWA.

Where was he ever going to go in the WWF?

A mid/upper mid carder in WWE is always better than a main eventer in TNA.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
He did get bumped up pretty much immediately to the top of the card in WCW.

Which yeah, in retrospect was about the worth of the IC champion in 1999 WWF...

strobogo

Banned
He did get bumped up pretty much immediately to the top of the card in WCW.

Which yeah, in retrospect was about the worth of the IC champion in 1999 WWF...

He didn't even win the WCW Championship until April of 2000, which about 6 months into his run. He was pretty much in the same spot in WCW as he was in the WWF.

Anth0ny

WZ can now exclusively report the WWE Network will contain all of the RAW's, SmackDown's and WWE pay-per-views ever produced off the bat on the first day of launch in its extensive library. Netflix style.

ilmA6frAbg8mq.gif

Kaladin

Lol. Jarrett's runs as NWA Champion were worse than HHH's vanity runs.

I remember one Impact where they built up Jay Lethal as a serious challenger to Jarrett's title....gave him a decent match with Jarrett and then LOLTNA'd a Jarrett win that killed any chance of Lethal being taken seriously for the belt ever again.

Double J rivaled Triple H at burials during part of his run.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
At least in TNA you can say you have highlights in Daniels, Kazarian, Sabin, Roode, and Aries.

In WCW's dying days, what were the highlights? Norman Smiley?

Also Nash said Jarrett used to ride with them when there was a free spot and was considered a 'good worker', so I imagine that helped. Though the way Nash worded it made Jarrett sound like a mark for the Kliq which is pretty funny

Kaladin

You know what I miss that I wish TNA would bring back? The King of the Mountain ladder match. That was usually a fun match even if it was a bit convoluted at times.

For those that don't remember it:

The competitors in the match start out as "ineligible" to win. In order to become "eligible", a wrestler must score a pinfall or submission on an opponent. The opponent who submits or is pinned is forced to spend two minutes in the "penalty box" cage. More than one wrestler can be in the cage. This often results in wrestlers fighting inside the cage or forming some sort of alliance.

Once "eligible", the wrestler may win the match by retrieving the belt and hanging it on the hook suspended above the ring with the aid of the ladders. A TNA official maintains possession of the belt and circles the ring, staying out of the action as much as possible. When a wrestler wishes to hang the belt, he must retrieve it from the official. Once the belt is in play, any other wrestler who is eligible may attempt to steal the belt and hang it. Once the belt has been dropped and no wrestler is attempting to hang it, a referee returns the belt to the official.

strobogo

Banned
At least in TNA you can say you have highlights in Daniels, Kazarian, Sabin, Roode, and Aries.

Norman, Disco/Disco Duck, Lance Storm, Positively Kanyon. Shane Helms toward the end. Scott Steiner being fucking crazy. That's about it. TNA at its worst is significantly worse than WCW at its worst, and TNA at its best isn't near WCW at its best.

Think I'm gonna give TNA another go. Sure, it's probably gonna lead to disappointment, but it can't be any worse than Raw, can it? And at least Aces & 8s and MEM are gone, which were some of the biggest funsuckers from when i watched before. just garbage. But now they have, like, serial killers and shit. Cool by me.

strobogo

Banned
You know what I miss that I wish TNA would bring back? The King of the Mountain ladder match. That was usually a fun match even if it was a bit convoluted at times.

For those that don't remember it:

TNA is king of the stupid ass gimmick matches. Absolute king. They've probably come up with/revived/tweaked more stupid gimmick matches than Memphis and WCCW combined.

According to Jerry Jarrett's book, they were already out of money six weeks into TNA and about to file bankruptcy until the Carter family stepped in and bought TNA under the Panda Energy banner.

strobogo

Banned
Is TNA the worst nationally broadcasted promotion of all time? WWE, WCW, TNA, ECW, AWA for a bit, GWF for a bit, Wrestling Society X. Is that it?

strobogo

Banned
If you only count the nationwide broadcast of ECW I'd vote for that.

Good point. ECW on TNN was the only project I couldn't get even half way through.

Stro

WWF Shotgun Saturday Night.

yay or nay?

No just on the basis of I don't want to do any years worth of shows for quite a while. If there are specific Shotgun shows, I can do those. But I'm not doing a full year of shows for at least a few months. And it definitely isn't ever going to be the New Generation era.

strobogo

Banned
Deal with it. I did just the Summerslams of the New Generation and they were pretty terrible. I don't want to watch 50 some hours of it.

Deal with it. I did just the Summerslams of the New Generation and they were pretty terrible. I don't want to watch 50 some hours of it.

You don't want to experience Vince's weird pop culture faze where almost every one of his lines has some kind of at-the-time pop culture reference?

strobogo

Banned
You don't want to experience Vince's weird pop culture faze where almost every one of his lines has some kind of at-the-time pop culture reference?

Nope. Sure don't. I've seen enough to know its awful. I may do the first 2 years of Raw DVD set sometime in the next few months, though. That's only because my library has it. But I lost my library card. We'll see. That's the closest I'll get to the New Generation set.

alstein

Also Nash said Jarrett used to ride with them when there was a free spot and was considered a 'good worker', so I imagine that helped. Though the way Nash worded it made Jarrett sound like a mark for the Kliq which is pretty funny

Jarrett was a good worker. Not great, but good to sometimes very good.

He produced solid matches when booking didn't completely sabotage it.

strobogo

Banned
Jeff Jarrett was a perfect mid/upper mid carder wrestler. He never should have been a main eventer and definitely shouldn't have been the anchor of a promotion. Even WCW realized that as he really only spent about 3 months as the top heel. He was A top heel for his entire second WCW run, but he was only the top heel for about 3 months if that.

He was very enjoyable in WWF/WCW/TNA when he wasn't the main focus of the promotion. In fact, his Southern babyface-Double J Double M A- King of Mexico run in TNA were some of the most enjoyable things to me in the past 5 years of wrestling.

Kaladin

In fact, his Southern babyface-Double J Double M A- King of Mexico run in TNA were some of the most enjoyable things to me in the past 5 years of wrestling.

While I enjoyed that, I really....really hate Karen Jarrett. She annoys the fuck out of me. Especially when I sat ringside for that one TNA taping and she stood right in front of me. Glad she's gone.

While I enjoyed that, I really....really hate Karen Jarrett. She annoys the fuck out of me. Especially when I sat ringside for that one TNA taping and she stood right in front of me. Glad she's gone.

I'd tell a story, but Chriswok may appear out of nowhere and get mad.

Genichiro Tenryu vs Tatsumi Fujinami - (WAR 12/15/93)

Big inter-promotional match-up between two of the biggest wrestling stars of their generation, as New Japan's Tatsumi Fujinami invades WAR to take on Genichiro Tenryu. Doesn't quite reach Tenryu vs Fujiwara levels of grumpiness, but both guys are still pretty grumpy and dish out a fair bit of punishment to excite the 10,000 strong Sumo Hall crowd. Fujinami's more of a technician, but when pushed Fujinami is also more than capable of going toe to toe with Tenryu and the result is an enjoyable match-up, highlighted by Fujinami's hot comebacks and Tenryu being an utter bastard.

strobogo

Banned
Puro is absolutely unmatched for grumpy dudes. That is my favorite aspect of puro. Grumpy old dudes smacking each other/young dudes around is just the best. I really wish that was more of a thing in American wrestling. Someone like Ric Flair just being an absolute dick to a younger dude. But the vets in WWE are guys like Cena/Orton/Big Show. I want older guys around knocking the shit out of someone like Kofi or Ryder. In 2013, Disco Inferno and Norman Smiley should still be around to be dick heads to younger talent on TV. A Big Wiggle followed by a stiff punch in the face would be excellent. Imagine Disco stiffing the fuck out of CJ Parker on NXT.

Also, December to Dismember 2006 would be a decent enough show it had been shown on Sci-Fi as a 2 hour special broadcast. But as a 3 hour full priced PPV, it's garbage.

In WWE, all you really have is Mark Henry, and they're not really using him as such. I suppose you could do a whole "mean vet" thing with Christian, but he's not nearly as mean looking.

somedevil

Solomon Crowe debuts at NXT event in Tampa:

Kalisto (the former Samuray del Sol, who notably brought his "lucha, lucha" chant over to WWE) came out after intermission to hype the rest of the events for the evening. NXT is basically having their new talent test their in-ring promo ability by having them as hype men, to those who might be confused.

Kalisto did his glowing baton routine, which actually is kinda cool, and he was about to do the traditional live event "hyping up the crowd by giving away free stuff" bit, when the lights went out and the sound you usually hear during an Emergency Broadcast Signal blared over the speakers. The lights were flickering, so you could barely tell at first, but someone had attacked Kalisto.

The lights came on to reveal Solomon Crowe, who has a very maniacal look on his face, with his finger hovering over a tablet, indicating that he basically has the entire arena hacked.

Without a word, he presses a button on his tablet, shutting off the lights and setting off the EBS alarm, and disappears.

Solomon Crowe posted this picture following the event.

A disturbed crazy hacker gimmick. Another new gimmick that's interesting along with TNA's serial killer gimmick.

Top Bottom