• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
31463.jpg

I always wondered what the Hall of Fame ring looked like.

WWE should just have a tag team tournament PPV at this point they have more than enough

Punk and Bryan
SHIELD
Wyatt Family
The Rhodes Brothers
The Real Americans
PTP
Los Matadores
3mb
Usos
Brodus Clay and Sweet T
R-Truth and Xavier Woods
Big E and Mark Henry

- Should be in singles matches
- Solid
- Solid
- Pretty good
- Push Cesaro
- boring
- boring
- fantastic in their flavor of the week role
- boring
- boring
- boring
- boring

Rapstah

Jesus, apparently the TLC contract signing is tonight. Couldn't fit it in next week? Let's see if they've changed their minds a fourth time about what the match is.

Kaladin

Remember before when WWE had all those tag teams like Car Stereo and Team Hell No, and then it dropped down to like Team Hell No and whoever was challenging them in about a month?

WWE loses interest in tag teams fast. Anytime you think there is a revitalized tag team division, blink, look again....it's gone.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Remember before when WWE had all those tag teams like Car Stereo and Team Hell No, and then it dropped down to like Team Hell No and whoever was challenging them in about a month?

WWE loses interest in tag teams fast. Anytime you think there is a revitalized tag team division, blink, look again....it's gone.

PTP won a number one contenders match over the Usos when Hell No had it... And it never happened.
What the fuck, is this poll blatantly rigged or are people actually this wrong?

whichbeltmeansmoresapwn.png

John Cena has the World title is why

darkbanjo

Sting just take the money! Fuck, give it away to your favorite Christian charity or whatever. Just take the fucking tombstone already!

Whilst Christian certainly is a charity case, I think he'd be more interested in another pity title reign or a nice big blue dot than money.

strobogo

Banned
It was a cool gimmick, and he had a great look for it(aside from when he wore the girdle thing) He was basically what Sting was before Sting's gimmick just became 'I dont know you're Surfer Sting, but you still wear the crow makeup because people like buying masks', and it was Russo-riffic when it actually worked because a lot of the shit he did was probably Russo watching Kevin Sullivan tapes, and you don't really get gimmicks like that anymore. It's why Bray works.

He didn't really have a gimmick, though. He just had face paint (sometimes, he didn't until ICP showed up) and was called a dark angel, but he didn't have a gimmick or character. Even with ICP and The Misfits, he didn't really have any kind of defined character, he was just a dude in face paint with bands that wear face paint. It wasn't until Russo's second run when he got any kind of actual character or gimmick.

Kaladin

He didn't really have a gimmick, though. He just had face paint (sometimes, he didn't until ICP showed up) and was called a dark angel, but he didn't have a gimmick or character. Even with ICP and The Misfits, he didn't really have any kind of defined character, he was just a dude in face paint with bands that wear face paint. It wasn't until Russo's second run when he got any kind of actual character or gimmick.

ICP wrestling was one of the worst things ever, and at the same time one of the best things ever because it somehow steam rolled into ICP running their own indie promotion.

If you want to see shit wrestling, just watch Juggalo Championship Wrestling.

gurudyne

He said the other week that Sheamus is apparently pushing for it, and it's a dream match of his. We'll see if they bite. At this point, he's a much smaller star than Punk was when he faced Undertaker, and since WM 25 they've wanted the Undertaker match to be the co-main event.

I can totally see this working, just not this year. Give Sheamus a chance to run with the ball. RAW After Mania, give Shamus a feud with Taker. Let that cool off and have Sheamus build up heat as a monster heel (something more worthwhile than "Ay'm a wressler fella naough less all go laff at the jews and mexicans over a pint!") From there, you can judge whether or not a WMXXXI shot (if it's even possible with Taker at that point) could happen.

Foffy

Banned
I have a feeling this unification match will result in Cena and Orton swapping belts. That way, they can bring back Cena as WWE champion again...

Maybe a Bryan vs Cena match at Wrestlemania?

somedevil

Jesus, apparently the TLC contract signing is tonight. Couldn't fit it in next week? Let's see if they've changed their minds a fourth time about what the match is.

Next week its in Washington Daniel Bryan's home state. They are avoiding the fans chanting Daniel Bryan during the contract signing.

Managed to get front row tickets for the Progress 2nd anniversary show in Camden next March, despite the fact that front row sold out in 27 seconds. They sold 420 tickets this evening and the building holds about 600. Real happy to see this promotion going places, Progress haven't put a foot wrong as of yet and with a roster including some of the best UK talent going today, a rabid fanbase that rival PWG in intensity and three great owners with a fantastic ethos on the way profesional wrestling should be, may that trend of success long continue. BUY; http://progresswrestling.com/merch/

Also, New Japan have another iPPV tomorrow;

http://www.ustream.tv/njpw

1. Yuji Nagata, Sho Tanaka & Yohei Komatsu vs. Toru Yano, Takashi Iizuka & Jado
2. KUSHIDA & BUSHI vs. Rob Conway & Jax Dane
3. Manabu Nakanihi, Strong Man, Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & Tiger Mask vs. Lance Archer, Davey Boy Smith Jr., TAKA Michinoku & Taichi
4. Hiroshi Tanahashi & Captain New Japan vs. Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI
5. World Tag League - Block A: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Masato Tanaka & Yujiro Takahashi
6. World Tag League - Block B: Tetsuya Naito & La Sombra vs. Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin
7. World Tag League - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
8. World Tag League - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii vs. Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale

Lastly, MORE NEW JOSHI!!! This is the 100th show from STARDOM, which is pretty much the top promotion in Japanese women's wrestling today - well worth a watch, especially the title matches;

STARDOM, "100th Event Commemoration", 2013.11.04
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,020 Fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbd4M7kCr8k

1. Koguma Debut Match: Koguma vs Natsuki*Taiyo
2. Iroha 10 Match Trial Series, 1st: Takumi Iroha vs Hiroyo Matsumoto
3. Natsuki*Taiyo & Yoshiko vs Miho Wakizawa & Mayu Iwatani
4. Artist of STARDOM Title: Kaori Yoneyama, Kairi Hojo & Yuhi (c) vs Kyoko Kimura, Alpha Female & Amazon
5. Wonder of STARDOM Title: Dark Angel (c) vs Act Yasukawa
6. Queen of STARDOM Title: Io Shirai (c) vs Nanae Takahashi

Mr. Sandman said:
If you want to see shit wrestling, just watch Juggalo Championship Wrestling.

Honestly, when they were doing their free weekly JCW TV show 'Slam TV', it was actually pretty good. They had a bunch of the best indie guys at the time coming in and always used them well - Trent Acid was never better than with his priest gimmick, Holy Trent Asshole, in JCW.

Jesus that Mikey Whiplash injury is nasty

Pcw doesn't have guard rails and I prefer it,
I was front row at another local show and the guard rails just looked horribly unsafe like there was a bit loose and I thought if someone went Into it part of the rail would swing back right towards me

Sure some of these companies pick shit up off building sites and stuff and just think 'that'll do'

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Total Divas continue to be hilarious from looking at it as an entirely staged show presented as a "reality show". They hired models to dance at the band and the after party because not enough people would show up to tell the story otherwise.

It's working as the show is doing well and that network wants more of it, I'm just amazed that for all the criticism of "wrestling is fake", the highly scripted nature here is perfectly fine.

I'd like to know opinions here as to what people think is worth seeing on Wrestlemania weekend. Here's the most complete event listing I can find:

Things underlined are definite, things italicized are what I'd personally like to see. I'm going with four other people with varying interest in indy wrestling, but we all like it to some degree and we're spending a week down there so there is plenty of time to do nightlife and non-wrestling stuff.

Anything definitely worth checking out?

Kaiju Big Battel is worth it for the sheer ridiculousness of it all. Guys wrestling as giant monsters amidst a cardboard city. Worth seeing at least once live with the crowd.

SHIMMER at McAlister Auditorium at Tulane University. – 3 PM
I quite recommend that one. Not because it's "women's wrestling", but because they are dedicated to putting on a good, solid, fun showcase of wresting as what they see a their best time to get new customers. If you wish to avoid "SUPER KICK!" feel of the indy, don't want typical WWE style, and just a group of people of different styles working well together, this is a good one to go to.
Also a great crowd at last years showing, the kind where everyone is into to be sure, but there for the fun and respect of what's being put on.

I get the feeling Indy wrestling isn't too popular here but is it still ok If I share my review?

ROH Final Battle 2010 – 18th December 2010

To sum up I was blown away with what was a truly compelling and lively show, there was nothing, not a damn thing that dragged it down. The crowd were hot and each match did its job to a tee, yes some of the undercard matches could have been a little better but even so the event as a whole was overflowing with excitement. I have no idea if this Final Battle was topped in the following years but it is easily my favourite right there next to Final Battle 2005 as a show which just flowed and never stopped giving.

Indy wrestling across the world is quite well liked here, minus the sily 100 super kicks and more absurd manoeuvres that completely destroy any suspense of belief (see some gifs a page or two back with the Young Bucks flipping), it just hasn't been as active in discussion due to NJPW, UK Wrestling, WWE having more shows, etc taking up a lot of time. It always comes back to the forefront eventually.

A good write up for the show though, I'll definitely have to check it out when I have some free time.

strobogo

Banned
I find it interesting that both the terrible, completely off the rails Nitro was in Denver, which is where the reboot episode was from.

Recall

Just finished watching the show, and wanted to share. Really wish this wasn't how I decided to spend my evening.

ROH Take No Prisoners 2009 PPV - 4th April 2009
Ace Steel vs. Colt Cabana = Grade D, Weak
Jay Briscoe, Magno, Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Davey Richards, Eddie Edwards, Chris Hero & Incognito = Grade C, Passable
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Necro Butcher = Grade C, Passable
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Brent Albright vs. Blue Demon Jr. = Grade D, Weak
Alex Koslov vs. Roderick Strong = Grade C, Passable
Jerry Lynn vs. Bryan Danielson vs. Erick Stevens vs. D-Lo Brown (ROH World Title Match) = Grade D, Weak
KENTA & Tyler Black vs. Katsuhiko Nakajima & Austin Aries = Grade B, Fun

Review: We begin the PPV not only with ring entrances for a change but also a match that started off extremely silly and never became anything more making it ultimately a pointless match. What an odd way to begin a PPV or even odder to have it on the card to begin with. 8 man tag and it was certainly chaotic with plenty of dives but it was more of an exhibition and there wasn't much to it. Incognito impressed me the most and would have actually like to see more of him. Two matches in and already two “This is Awesome” chants so clearly the crowd is enjoying itself.

Jimmy vs. Necro time and it is billed three different ways, a No DQ match on the DVD box, a Fight without Honor by the commentators and a No DQ War by the ring announcer. What we got was a bloody fight including a pretty mighty bump but it lacked the drama it needed to make the bout special considering it is a match built upon two years of storylines. They tried to make the fight work but I really don't think it did as either an end to a storyline or as something memorable.

3 way match time and we are informed that there is a new rule to 3 way matches in ROH, that a tag is now needed so its only just ever 1vs1. That's terrible. Seriously what a dumb change. What we unfortunately get to see was a very lacklustre and generally just flat out bad match. It reeked of being a TV type match as if it had loads of time constraints put on it, but why? What a weird show so far also shoe horning in luchadores into random matches has not done anything to benefit anyone especially as combined they've been in the ring for a total of 5 minutes.

Next we are treated to the most competitive encounter of the show but yet again it's another super short match. Koslov fits in perfectly to what ROH was trying to do, he has a character but can also go and Roderick can bring the best out of anyone. There were some cool interactions here but it was such a shame that it wasn't given more time to let it be a fully fleshed out match. Someone doesn't clearly know how to book PPVs based on these match times and I think this very much was at a point when Adam Pearce was the guy in charge.

Hey guess what another rule change this time for the 4 corner survival for the ROH World Title, can you guess what it is? That's right no tags are needed now, which is totally opposite from the three way earlier on. So once an opponent leaves the ring another may enter without a tag and be the legal man, why not just have all 4 guys in the ring? I don't even think these rule changes lasted longer than this event. At least the rule change kept the match quite energetic with a constant flow of action and eliminating the lulls but what did it matter when it was all over in 7 minutes. There was no build up or meaning behind anything, it was just as if the match had only just begun then just as suddenly it was over. This was also possibly the most insulting ROH title match in seemingly forever, it may have worked if all this was an episode of their TV show but for a PPV it was serverly lacking.

Main event was all about the kicks while inserting Austin Aries' new found character. It was easily the most competitive and most fulfilling match of the night. It didn't go to the levels we have seen in the past but it thoroughly entertained and after the underwhelming card so far it was a much needed highlight. Kenta has always been a draw for ROH and the crowd exploded every time he was in the ring. I enjoyed the final stretch quite a lot and it played of previous encounters quite well make for an impactful finish. All four worked hard and it certainly paid off based on the crowd response.

This was a period of drastic change for ROH, they had a TV show hoping it would turn into something mainstream increasing ROH's hold, they were also trying to have feuds that never really worked or clicked and altered what had made ROH popular by inserting shenanigans and silly pro wrestling tropes in to a promotion that was built on trying to make it more about the matches. This for I was the moment I abandoned ship as this trend would continue and over the course of the next 18 months everyone else bailed too. As a PPV this was shockingly disappointing, as an ROH show in general it was just not all there and for your money you really could have gotten better elsewhere. The main event is a fun time but given what else was on the show they didn't have to do much to stand out.

This was a period of drastic change for ROH, they had a TV show hoping it would turn into something mainstream increasing ROH's hold, they were also trying to have feuds that never really worked or clicked and altered what had made ROH popular by inserting shenanigans and silly pro wrestling tropes in to a promotion that was built on trying to make it more about the matches. This for I was the moment I abandoned ship as this trend would continue and over the course of the next 18 months everyone else bailed too. As a PPV this was shockingly disappointing, as an ROH show in general it was just not all there and for your money you really could have gotten better elsewhere. The main event is a fun time but given what else was on the show they didn't have to do much to stand out.

2009 was the year I stopped buying every ROH show - Pearce had a few good ideas, but he really was thrown into the fire, having to book TV and appease the ROH faithful with the quality of show they had come to expect and in both regards he didn't do that great of a job, for whatever reason. I wish they'd just kept Gabe involved, even though his last year of booking ROH wasn't all that great, I really would have liked to see what they could have done with the TV product. Also, I forgot how horrible some of those world title matches were around that time. And the whole Jerry Lynn title reign, yeesh.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 12/23/99

This show sucked so much I'm not even doing a real review of it. This is the last fucking Thunder I will ever watch. Such a garbage show from day one. WCW and Thunder can suck my dick.

PG13 vs Varsity Club

Ended in a double DQ for absolutely no reason in under 2 minutes.

Tank Abbott vs La Parka

Ended in a no contest in under a minute.

Norman Smiley vs Fit Finlay

Ended with Norman pinning Finlay after Meng interfered in under 3 minutes.

Harris Brothers vs Jeff Jarrett/Curt Hennig

Ended with Hennig being pinned and Jeff never showing up. It was under 2 minutes.

Bam Bam vs Maestro

Ended with Kanyon and J. Biggs costing Bam Bam the match in under 2 minutes.

Konnan/Kidman/Duggan vs Revolution

Ended in a sunset flip in under 5 minutes.

Kevin Nash vs The Wall

Ended in a DQ in just over 2 minutes.

Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit

Ended in a DQ in under 5 minutes.

It fucking sucked. nWo beat downs, Harris Boys turning face and basically doing the DOA gimmick, and Goldberg might have raped Kevin Nash in the shower. The only things of note were 3 Count debuted, David and Daffney met Crowbar at a gas station, and Goldberg killed the nWo angle by trying to fight a limo.

iyZC6FLoF8G2S.gif

ibpzsjn77jTmJt.gif

Top Bottom