• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

SJRB

Gold Member
Is it normal to be disconnected from the servers every 10 minutes?

Played it for the better part of the day, no disconnects at all. Yeah once, but that was on my end.

Anyway, now that the shine has worn off I guess this game does have some issues. It has a rediculous difficulty spike. I'm at a mission now over at a mine that is literally impossible without the help of other players, I'm swarmed by 50+ guys from all directions.

Subsequently, I have no sense of progression. I'm not noticing my character is getting more powerful. The EGO system is terrible, the unlocks are useless perks. The weapons hardly seem to get stronger, if any.
I also miss some kind of city/hub where I can just walk around. A safe haven with clothing vendors, banks, that sort of thing. There are vendors all over the place but they usually sell useless garbage, random upgrades for a weapon you probably won't carry with you for long. There's a severe lack of customization which, in my opinion, is something crucial in an RPG.

Modding weapons is literally a diceroll because you cannot choose what mod will be installed. If you choose to mod a weapon, the game randomly opens up a mod slot. This baffles me. If I want to install a stock it's a diceroll how long it will take for the game to open up that mod slot. Very weird.

And the game world/storyline is just one big mess, I still have no idea just what the fuck is going on. The game doesn't explain anything in both narrative and gameplay mechanics.

Also - can't believe appearantly I'm the only one here on GAF that picked this up just now.

UrSuLeTzU

challenger-left.png
outlander.png
challenger-right.png

Play with cool GAF dudes and more

Fill in the following google document with your server region, platform, and nick so that you'll have an easier time to connect with your fellow GAF buddies:

Quote to see.

Gaf guilds

EU/PC
GAF by SquiddyCracker (In-game message anyone in the above google document that's in the GAF-clan)

NA/PC
neoGAF by SquiddyCracker (In-game message ROBOKITTYZILLA, or anyone else in the above google document that's in the GAF-clan)

Ventrilo/TS server information for GAF guild

[To be updated]

Just bought this game for 10 euros on Steam(PC). Tried the beta on ps3 and enjoyed it quite a bit, the tv show was also pretty good. Looking forward to playing with some gaf people until phase 4 of FFXIV hits :)

Here is an article discussing the future of Defiance. Some interesting points:

Our first DLC is coming up and we will be revealing that release date soon…it will not be out this month. Fine, we will tell you that it will be in August but don’t’ tell anyone else. Ok? I know I can trust you. We did want to get this out sooner but we had some launch issues to take care of first. We will get into more of that later. As a reminder, this DLC is all about the Castithan. There is the playable Castithan species, Charge Blades, Arena game modes, a new Story Mission line, and more! And don’t worry, we still have our planned total of 5 DLCs that we will be releasing throughout the first year of the game.

I know that many of you play without any issues but too many of you are encountering problems that you should not have to experience. We need to make sure that when someone logs into Defiance that the only frustration they have is getting hammered by the Volge.

Grouping/Chat/Social Features

There are a lot of different kinds of problems here. There are issues with groups of players entering into a Co-Op Map and not all of them ending up together or entering a Co-Op Map that was already under way. We have this fixed and it is making its way out to Live soon. There are fixes and improvements to voice chat and quite a few changes to the chat window in general. We also realize that there are quite a few problems with the way Clans are working and we are digging into those as well.

It seems like their priorities right now are fixing bugs. Content addition is important and coming but, they want the game play to be better first.

Mindlog

I stopped playing after I finished all of my pursuits (didn't bother with some of the dumb social pursuits and final EGO pursuits.) That was just before the rerun pursuits. Might have to give it a shot again soon.
What other shops sell hats, other than that army camp you start off at?
I don't believe there are any. Pursuits are the main way to get clothing items without spending money in the store.

The challenge for beating Scrapworks is the easiest with a nice reward.
KT0xyEN.png

Ken

Is this game still pretty active? Thinking about trying it now that I have a decent machine to play PC games with.

daevv

Edit for anyone wondering: The game inside the collectors box (that's the box inside the ultimate ed box) contains the ultimate edition code for the seasons pass. The back of the instructions has ultimate edition written on it with the code.

Was/Is the season pass code in the big box with the messenger bag or within the smaller (collectors edition) box that contains the game and figure? I only ask because the inside box with the figure doesn't say it contains the season pass.

daevv

Why did I wait so long to get this lol.

Been having a good ol shooter time so far. I'm only hauling ass between Arkfalls at the moment as I have a weeks worth of xp boost from the ultimate edition. When that runs out I'll go back to the story. Even though I paid $59 for the Ultimate Ed I still might get the digital version for $10. That's the reason I waited as I wanted the digital version as like Warhawk and just recently Battlefield 3 I like my MP games on the hard drive for quick playing/switching sessions and to save my BD laser from all the loading those games do.

How come sometimes you can buy lock boxes for bits and other times you cannot?

redhot_

Haven't even put 5 hours in and iv been kicked from the server 7 times now. How did they even get away with charging $60 for this shit.

I bought this during the Steam sale and haven't been able to play it once. Managed to fully patch it, but every time I start the game I get a "Defiance server is not available" error. Not made it past that once, tried every day since buying it.
I can't find any fixes that work, Trion support are useless and only seem to send the same links to help articles that don't work.
Did I just throw my money away? I assume it's unlikely I can get a refund from Steam?

I bought this during the Steam sale and haven't been able to play it once. Managed to fully patch it, but every time I start the game I get a "Defiance server is not available" error. Not made it past that once, tried every day since buying it.
I can't find any fixes that work, Trion support are useless and only seem to send the same links to help articles that don't work.
Did I just throw my money away? I assume it's unlikely I can get a refund from Steam?

I'm assuming you've launched it in admin mode?

Weird, you should be able to get a refund from Steam if you explain your deal, I think.

I don't know why I like this game. It is choppy, ugly and janky at least on PS3. I think it is because they nailed the shooting. I never liked Borderland 2 shooting but Defiance just feels right. It is just this breezy easy to play complete waste of time that I spend hours playing. I should play The Last of Us or something but I just want to waste my time on this game. Best $10 spent on gaming this year.

I don't know why I like this game. It is choppy, ugly and janky at least on PS3. I think it is because they nailed the shooting. I never liked Borderland 2 shooting but Defiance just feels right. It is just this breezy easy to play complete waste of time that I spend hours playing. I should play The Last of Us or something but I just want to waste my time on this game. Best $10 spent on gaming this year.

I'm the same way. There is nothing extraordinary about the game but, I just have fun with it. I can't really explain it, it's average at everything but, the whole package is fun for me.

It needs new content pretty badly though. At least I know I do after 100 hours.

daevv

I'm the same way. There is nothing extraordinary about the game but, I just have fun with it. I can't really explain it, it's average at everything but, the whole package is fun for me.

It needs new content pretty badly though. At least I know I do after 100 hours.

I've just started and I'm the same way, the game is meh to look at but playing it is rewarding and fun. I haven't done anything buy arkfalls so far so I have all the story, co-op, and side missions, left to do. I have the season pass so I'll get the new DLC for sure.

Anyone here play it on PS3? I wouldn't mind getting a crappy legendary weapon/good items if you have some you are not using/want to sell.

Now if I could avoid the timeout error....happens two times every hour or so now. :(

The Castithan DLC won't add any new areas to the open world, but adds a bunch of new arena instances, and one pvp map.

Trion Community Manager Sledgehammer70 posted this on their forums:
Castithan DLC Details:

You get this when you buy the DLC for $10:
– Access to play the Castithan Species
– Access to a new Story Mission Line with new Battle Arena Game Mode
– Access to the new Castithan Battle Arenas
– Castithan Charge Blade & Ceremonial Mask as a reward from Story Mission Line
– A unique version of the Raptor, a new 4 player truck of doom
– A unique Castithan version of an outfit
– A Charge Weapons Starter Pack
– Access to New Pursuits
– New Xbox and PS3 Trophies and Achievements
- One time option for a single character to have their appearance change, name change, and species changed

You get this in the DLC for free:
– Access to the new Charge Weapons Class and Castithan Blades
– Access to Sieges, a new Open World Game Mode
– Access to the new Monolith Major Arkfall
– Access to a new PvP Map – Military Academy
– Duel your friends and neighbors in the Duels Game Mode
– Enemies, lockboxes, and events can drop Charge Weapons
– Select a new voice for you character
– Multitude of game improvements from UI to content
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?110494-Castithan-Charge-Pack-Discussion-Thread

There are a lot of solo missions in this game. Right now every single main and side mission available to me and my friend is a solo mission so we have nothing to do together until we play through them all on our own, it's a little silly.

I think it would have been smarter if there was one reoccurring side story that was solo, and everything else was normal/co-OP.

There are a lot of solo missions in this game. Right now every single main and side mission available to me and my friend is a solo mission so we have nothing to do together until we play through them all on our own, it's a little silly.

I think it would have been smarter if there was one reoccurring side story that was solo, and everything else was normal/co-OP.

i did every single mission with my buddy, apart from maybe 2/3 dungeon missions.

Where the hell is this friggin dlc??? i's been 5 months

Weird. I have 3 single player missions on the map right now.

Into the Depths
Playing the Piper
Launching the Cure

And I just did the Heist which is also a SP mission.

Melted77

Aren't all missions meant to be solo-able but can be completed cooperatively. The later missions get a bit more hectic and friends would make them more fun. There are actual co-op maps that you can queue up for in matchmaking.

I think I just got unlucky and hit a patch of them, at the same time my buddy just got back from vacation so we were really hoping to get some missions in.

I am looking forward to changing my characters race. I chose Irathien and now I wish that I hadn't. Given any choice I'd choose Castithan but, if I can't do that I want to switch to human.

I added my name to the spreadsheet thing in the hopes that active people will wanna play with me, cuz doing all these rinse and repeat missions alone is getting boring :c I wanna get to San Francisco already..

Island

Is there a timeline somewhere to see when I should be playing the episode missions? I found a half assed one that said to play Episode 2 (in game) after watch the 5th TV episode. What about the other in game missions? When should they be played? I have the season on my DVR but want to watch them as they were "meant".

Is there a timeline somewhere to see when I should be playing the episode missions? I found a half assed one that said to play Episode 2 (in game) after watch the 5th TV episode. What about the other in game missions? When should they be played? I have the season on my DVR but want to watch them as they were "meant".

This is the best that I could find. Warning: Spoilers out the ass. You can read the headers and get an idea of when to play what though.

Well the hook was that the episodes would kind of coincide with the show, I guess, but I agree. They should have just left them all in there.

I think I missed a fair number of them which is a bummer since some of them had some real good rewards. I got a purple assault rifle from one, the best weapon I've seen all game.

Question: my friend is at about 300 ego, I'm at 400 give or take. If we go on a mission together do the enemies scale up to me, making it unfairly hard on him? He's saying he's having a real tough time.

Mindlog

Enemies scale based on the number of players and not on EGO ratings. Players level 4000/20 would face the same enemies as 300/300. The difference between EGO 300/400 is pretty small. Weapon selection would probably make the biggest difference.

Top Bottom