• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Well Im gonna take a break from San Francisco for awhile. I love the game but getting burnt out on solo play.(on Ps3). Will get back on soon. But it has been an enjoyable experience.

Joe Molotov

My Blur based melee build is ready for charge blades.

It might be added tomorrow. It's part of some story tie-in. Most people are guessing Volge related.

I have a confession to make. I spawned the Monarch at an emergency. One of the emergencies at the end of the Dodge: Madera race.

I think I did it on purpose.
At least three cars crashed into it and exploded :(
I felt bad.
But it was really funny.

One of those cars might have been mine. :(

Joe Molotov

Finally, 4:58!

Only took me about 7 attempts, and no thanks to the stupid system messages "HAVE YOU TRIED A CO-OP MAP, PLAYER!!!? in 700pt font as I miss a turn and crash into a stack of tires. Why yes I have Trion, now please burn in hell and die. >_<

It took longer than I thought but I guess the promotion is finally working in their favor. Defiance is currently the number 2 best seller on Steam. Not bad.

Joe Molotov

8jNkmPb.jpg

#swag

I missed out on the exclusive colors last weekend because I waited until the last day to log in and I couldn't get enough Paradise rep to buy one, so I decided to gold medal all the races to get the Black Challenger annnnnnnd...it really wasn't that hard at all. The Dodge race from the weekend promotion was by far the hardest of any of any of the races. I thought the SanFran ones would be hard because of how torn up the terrain is, but they're all really short and not even very hard at all. Also I finally hit 1k Ego, yay.

8jNkmPb.jpg

#swag

I missed out on the exclusive colors last weekend because I waited until the last day to log in and I couldn't get enough Paradise rep to buy one, so I decided to gold medal all the races to get the Black Challenger annnnnnnd...it really wasn't that hard at all. The Dodge race from the weekend promotion was by far the hardest of any of any of the races. I thought the SanFran ones would be hard because of how torn up the terrain is, but they're all really short and not even very hard at all. Also I finally hit 1k Ego, yay.

Nice. I got the Plum Crazy one the first time they did the Dodge Challenge event which coincidentally ended up being the color of the one in the show. I really want the black one but was avoiding it because I thought the challenges would get pretty tough after doing a few of the first ones. I might give it a go now.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, it's identical to the orange. My pre-order red still has better speed, but I've been using Runners anyway to try to get my levels up.

Yeah, it's identical to the orange. My pre-order red still has better speed, but I've been using Runners anyway to try to get my levels up.

Same, I managed to get my cars up to 20 by borrowing Cass' truck for some Mama bug smashing, which they've unfortunately now nerfed :(
Runners at 17, just 3 more levels, and I'll return to my Plum Challenger.

MightyKAC

New episode brings new game info.

Beware the plague.

Defiance has introduced a new crossover event that ties in closely with the events of the Syfy television show.

Players are being tasked with eradicating a mysterious illness that has arrived in San Francisco before the plague reaches the town of Defiance in the TV series.

gaming-defiance-screenshot.jpg

The free update features a range of new content, including the Plague Sieges missions, eight additional emergencies, two bonus pursuits, a new data recorder and an extra mission series that runs from June 10 to 17.

Defiance players must work together to eradicate infected foes and help discover a cure before the outbreak hits in the television show during an episode scheduled to air on June 17.

Zombies? Well, that was unexpected. So what happens if we don't stop the outbreak before the plague reaches Defiance? Do they have an alternate episode prepared? lol

FYC

Banned
In about 5 days, raptr will be offering a 30% discount on Defiance if you have enough playtime(Dedicated Rank) in a certain game registered on raptr.

Assassin's Creed III (PC)
BioShock Infinite (PC)
Blacklight Retribution (PC)
Borderlands 2 (PC)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC)
Diablo III (PC)
Firefall (PC)
Guild Wars 2 (PC)
PlanetSide 2 (PC)
Rift (PC)
Star Wars: The Old Republic (PC)
Warframe (PC)
World of Warcraft (PC)

Neat. Might make a thread when it happens but thought I'd give a headsup.

I went through the episode mission for this week over the weekend. It wasn't bad. It was kind of short but, it was only a single mission. I can see it having implications on the TV show this week.

I'm up to date on all episode and story missions now and just recently completed the last episode pursuit.

The sieges were fun but could use some more interesting mechanics. It's basically Shadow War with NPCs. I continue to be disappointed that a lot of the story and episode instances cannot be completed in groups. They should be able to scale the encounter based on the number of players. For a game like this, it's a dumb restriction.

That DLC needs to come out soon. The game is a lot of fun but my interest is fading fast.

I'm up to date on all episode and story missions now and just recently completed the last episode pursuit.

The sieges were fun but could use some more interesting mechanics. It's basically Shadow War with NPCs. I continue to be disappointed that a lot of the story and episode instances cannot be completed in groups. They should be able to scale the encounter based on the number of players. For a game like this, it's a dumb restriction.

That DLC needs to come out soon. The game is a lot of fun but my interest is fading fast.

Yes, it really does. I'm in the same boat. I've finished the main story and the episode missions as much as I want to (hunting for recorders is not something I will never do because it bores me). I'm pretty much just following around arkfalls, sieges, and playing some MP. That can only last for so long.

I could do that. I probably will actually. Spending hours running around checking cracks and crevices for hidden goodies is not my idea of a good time.

Joe Molotov

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous trying to find a few dozen tiny hidden objects in a huge open world without even a hint of where they're at. And there's a ton of Ego points and unlockable clothes tied up in them, because you can't get the pursuit for completing an area until you've found them all.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous trying to find a few dozen tiny hidden objects in a huge open world without even a hint of where they're at.

I especially love the ones that are only found in co-op map instances. You get to run around looking for them while everyone else is wondering what exactly the fuck you are doing.

I especially love the ones that are only found in co-op map instances. You get to run around looking for them while everyone else is wondering what exactly the fuck you are doing.

Yeah, those are the best...I think the idea was that four people would team up and search them out but, the reality is that 1 person runs off and gets his ass reamed for costing the other three scrip when(if) they die.

aro52

Outside of freezing issues (on PS3), how does this play?
Is it genuinely fun when it works?

I've had a mild interest in Defiance since release, but now that I've worked through some backlog, and the price dropping recently, I'm thinking of picking it. I've been watching the show too, and I think their marketing is starting to get to me!

Yep, they've already re-run the initial episodes (set before the TV-show launched) couple of weeks ago, and everything else (and that again) will probably be available in-between season 1 and 2.

The volge are ridiculous btw.

I struggle to take down one of their troopers on my own (2 of them kills me, many times), and when the bomber and viscera pops out along with more troopers it's game over unless you got a couple of other players in the neighborhood to help you out.
I have no idea how people are even going to survive against invasions of Volge.

The volge are ridiculous btw.

I struggle to take down one of their troopers on my own (2 of them kills me, many times), and when the bomber and viscera pops out along with more troopers it's game over unless you got a couple of other players in the neighborhood to help you out.
I have no idea how people are even going to survive against invasions of Volge.

To finish off the episode achievements I took down one of the truck cartels by myself. I died probably 10 times and only succeeded because there was a spawn nearby. They are tough to bring down.

In the show that's
why the ark thing (can't remember the name) that you found for Nolan, and he subsequently stole, was so important. Without it and the weapon made from it Defiance would have been wiped out easily.

Ricker

I have been trying to do the main mission quest Old Friends,Old Swords,(on the 360)I have to rescue 5 prisoners then after that,Cole I think or some other guy tells me to protect him until he finishes something but he is just kneeling down in the middle of a barn and nothing happens...I have abandonned and restart the mission 3 times now,even let it reset by itself but always the same thing,I can't complete it...anyone remember if I am doing something wrong or is it bugged for now...I want to get to the mission that lets me go to San Francisco,otherwise that big Mech on the bridge kills me...

Koeta

So Defiance is one of the daily sales today on steam http://store.steampowered.com/

Someone in the steam thread said something about being able to use another 30% off code on top of the steam sale, but it got lost in the thread quick lol, anyone know how to go about doing that?

Joe Molotov

I see they finally lowered the ridiculous Ego requirements to unlock perk slots. What was it, like 4000 to get #9 before? That was insane.

SJRB

Gold Member
Bought this yesterday, played a bit just now. I really like it so far. I'm not an MMO expert by any means, the only other MMO I ever played is DC Universe Online and I greatly enjoyed that one.

Anyway, this game seems solid. It looks good, my character actually looks badass right out of the gate and the world is remarkable. I went into this game completely blind, so I have no idea what's going on most of the time in terms of story, but I guess it'll unfold sooner or later.
Gunplay seems surprisingly good, it's too soon to judge perk system and whatnot. I already realise I made a HUGE mistake by picking the stealth tree instead of the damage boost.

But anyway, I'll definately keep playing this during the weekend to see what's what.

Edit: okay, I just did my first Arkfall thingy. That was AWESOME. dozens of players appearing out of nowhere to take on these waves of mutant hordes. Intense and frantic, very cool. I do rather dislike how the game auto-assumes you watch the series or something, it doesn't explain ANYTHING.

Tbf, the Tv-series doesn't really explain much and at times throws in references that non-defiance gamers are completely clueless about.

Season finale spoiler:

There's a number of data recorders on Black Jonah, and a couple of episode missions which hints at echelon forces being sent to Defiance - which the TV-audience ends up seeing.

Top Bottom