• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Infector grenade is awesome!
From the new episode mission line.

Oh, and this:
TB1xe9m.png

http://www.reddit.com/r/Defiance/comments/1eb4uy/more_enter_the_castathin_dlc_info/

Dueling
Challenge any other player in the world in a 1v1 duel.
Duel is over when one is killed or forfeits.
Losing player automatically recovers with no scrip penalty.
The winner gets a renewed sense to skill and their gear in the future.

Charge ranged weapons
You hold the attack button down to get the maximum effect from the weapon.
Within each of these weapon classes the different weapons are going to have different properities modified by their charging effects.

Charge ranged weapons that are going to be in the game:
Snipers (have been shown in alpha live streams)
Pistols
Break action shotguns

Arena missions
There is going to be a new Castathin figure, find him, and you might be invited to participate in his underground fight arena.
Series of challenges to be completed within the arena, with each challenge to reconfigure the arena layout, with added traps.

Castathin blades
First image of a Castathin blade
On completing the arena mission line, you can find a Castathin blade.
Can also be found in lockboxes.
You equip it in one of your loadout slots.
It can be used at any time, but there's a considerable risk using it at the wrong time or against the wrong enemy.
Tap the attack button to do a quick attack.
Hold the attack button to charge up the blade and deal a devastating blow.

4 person vehicle
You're going to be able to cruise around the world in a 4 person vehicle that can carry your entire group.

Customize voice
6 new voice packs.
Ranging From sturn veteran to cocky hotshot.

Volge Sieges
All new world event that involves the volge attacking key locations in the world.
When the alert goes out, get to one of the siege sites as fast as possible.
Start working together with fellow arkhunters to capture the valuable tech that has fallen to earth with the volge.
The volge offer one of the toughest challenges you've yet faced.
The better your team performs within the time limit of the siege, the greater the rewards at the end. (Unlike arkfalls).

deafmedal

^ Sounds great, just what the game needs, a fresh injection. Volge thingy sounds cool, and bring on the 1vs1 and 4 seaters... I already make my buds drive me around :)

Sounds great. I also read that they're adding appearance, name, and race changes on the cash shop. If Castithans are cool looking I may switch.

Things and stuff going on in Defiance:

Where Game Meets Show

As we're sure you know, Defiance is an entire universe that extends beyond the TV show. The Defiance game allows YOU to experience and explore life in 2046. The game, currently available for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC, offers players the chance to play as ark hunters (that's Nolan and Irisa's job at the start of Episode 1) in the what was once San Francisco. And because show and game are set in the same world, they will be interacting throughout the season. Check out some key crossover moments below:

EPISODE 6

The Peril of Pol Madis

The shifty weapons designer Nolan encounters in Episode 6 works for Von Bach Industries, a name that should be familiar to Defiance players. Von Bach's corporate secrets could prove deadly in the hands of a madman.

Rynn's Arrival

Last week, we saw Rynn go rogue after being released by Nolan and Amanda as a reward for saving their lives. Now, everyone's favorite Irathient spitfire will be making her presence known in the Bay Area (and the game), helping players deal with a new wave of attacks from mutated Hellbugs (and maybe challenging some skilled gamers as well). Courtesy of Rynn’s understanding of Hellbug biology, the game will also see the introduction of the Infector Grenade, which can unleash small hellbugs on its target.

That's What Friends Are For

Eddie, Nolan's old soldier buddy, was also friends with Jon Cooper, a Lawkeeper in the Bay Area and a major character in the game. They were all members of the Iron Demons, a famous squad of Earth Military Coalition soldiers who took part in the Battle of Defiance.

Small But Deadly

The Varus Soleptor that Nolan mentions (and Eddie threatens to turn Nolan over to) is a Liberata businessman from the video game. Some believe he runs organized crime in the Bay Area. Before Nolan and Irisa came to Defiance, Varus hired them to recover a valuable artifact known as the Libera Nova Gem. They recovered the gem (with a little help from the players), but instead of handing it off to Varus, they kept it for themselves and headed east. Nolan used the gem to open a secret compartment in a Votan Ark (remember? In the first episode?), which is where he found the terrasphere that saved the town.

Matching Outfits

Notice how the Earth Republic outfits in the show and the game match? That's because the art departments at Trion and Syfy worked together to create the Earth Republic uniform.

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/21/intel/
The EGO menu has a section called “Intel”, in which you can find useful information about the world of Defiance that you may wish to refer to for reference.

Dodge Challenger Defiance ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcuG_WMNYfM&feature=youtu.be

Across the Badlands: Episode 6

Update 1.020: May 23rd 7:00AM PT - NA & EU PC, PS3 & Xbox 360
Patch notes:
● Along with numerous improvements and bug fixes, this update also includes new content that will tie in with recent and future events around the Defiance TV show. This content will be released alongside new episodes. In the interest of avoiding spoilers, we’ve omitted specifics, but it includes new missions, new goals, and a new open world game mode called Sieges!
● We’ve continued to optimize areas around the game world to improve performance.
● Even more updates to improve server performance.
● Continued to optimize voice chat options and functionality. You should hear less robo-voice, stuttering, warbling, and slurring.
● The PvP map, Freight Yard, is back!
● The Dam Defense Hotshot is available again.

Massive update is a go!
Looks like a 15 minute download, at 25MBps.

It adds a new game mode called "Sieges", new missions, mew goals, and a bunch of improvements throughout the game (in addition to the return of a third PvP-map/mode).

Chronoja

Massive update is a go!

It adds a new game mode called "Sieges", new missions, mew goals, and a bunch of improvements throughout the game (in addition to the return of a third PvP-map/mode).

dammit, trust a big patch to drop when I have no spare time for the next few days. typical.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Massive update is a go!

4min download at 70MBps. :(

Joking aside I must get back into this, I really like it but keep getting distracted by other shiny shiny games!

Holy christ.

Not sure if I wanted to download a 10.3GB patch out of nowhere.

Definitely not a 10GB patch from what I can see.

Steam has that problem with some MMOs, in that it re-download the whole game from scratch for some patches.
You can try updating the game through the Defiance launcher (which you can download from the Defiance website).

EDIT: Covered it already.

Server is down due to some exploits that enabled item duplication

Or as this post sums it up:

http://forums.defiance.com/showthre...stroy-M.F.D.H.Duplicators-and-game-Exploiters!
Really?! I hope your hours worth of duplicating and exploiting was worth this you bastards....can you please just learn to play a game the way it was intended and have fun killing ****?? this aint your fat-cat fantasy game where you can climb out of your gutter-like homes and rise to the monetary throne of the world...I wish all you exploiting P's.O.S. a horribly death, disease, and **** filled life....amen.

ascii42

Mindlog

The TV show is sort of, OK. Hasn't totally hit its groove yet. If you are looking for a great sci-fi TV show check out, Orphan Black.

New patch. Cool.
Checks feature list. Yes!
Patch finished!
What?
Checks forum. Oh.
Checks for update. Oh :\.

Myll_Erik said:
The team is still working on this - no ETA as of yet!

Meanwhile... I've been throwing EGO points towards a melee build just in case the energy knife is cool.

Yeah, I'm just going to check it tomorrow instead.
I suspect it won't be up until saturday though, as they probably want to make sure that this bug is properly patched out.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some. At least we'll probably get some boosts out of this, and we got new content waiting for us once they are done.
Definetyl going to spec for some melee as well, so I'm prepared for the swords.

The servers are back online now btw.
So give it a go if you're interested in checking out the trial (which isn't up yet :p)
Also 30% off on Steam, which is decent but not as good as the 50% from GMG couple of days/weeks ago.

BizzyBum

The show is beginning to turn into one of my favorites to watch, but the game is pretty meh.

It's like a Diet MMO. The game world is so small and once you're done with all the missions all you're left to do are grind Pursuits and weapon levels to gain EGO.

It doesn't help the studio was heavily layed off and the Devs are completely incompetent with patches, bug fixes, and exploits.

Ricker

I still can't beat the stupid story mission Bullet for a Madman,which you have to do solo...my Ego is not quite 500 yet,Overcharge is my main skill and it's fully upgraded...plus if you die,you have to restart the first part over...I thought after the second cut scene it would save there...on the 360 auto aiming is the only way to go by going in and out of iron sight,well for me anyway so the last part is hard to do...

I still can't beat the stupid story mission Bullet for a Madman,which you have to do solo...my Ego is not quite 500 yet,Overcharge is my main skill and it's fully upgraded...plus if you die,you have to restart the first part over...I thought after the second cut scene it would save there...on the 360 auto aiming is the only way to go by going in and out of iron sight,well for me anyway so the last part is hard to do...

I've been replaying the mission and am about to do just that mission.
I'll let you know what strategy I used once I've finished it.

Btw, if you guys missed on the pre-TV launch episode missions, you're able to to do them this weekend I think.
Look for a mission symbol on the map that has a star instead of an exclamation point, and enjoy.

Alright, I just did that mission, and in the first phase I just let those little smelter dudes come at me, circle around them, pop a bullet in their back, and then mow down he boss. In the second phase, I just continuously moved while mowing him down with my SAW.

Oh, and the new PVP mode is quite nice.

Same thing in EU PC :(

We might have to merge clans with someone, because it's a shame to have an empty clan.
Would anyone mind a merger with the Penny-Arcade clans?

Btw, at the moment PC/Xbox players will get bonus bits when purcahsing bit packs:
The $5 pack will have 25% bonus bits.

The $20 pack will have 50% bonus bits.

The $50 pack will have DOUBLE bonus bits.

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/23/dodge-high-speed-challenge-weekend-2/
There's also a special speed challenge going on this weekend, where you can buy exclusive Dodge Challenger vehicles (in-game resources).

Played some more this weekend and finally got to try the Freightyard map. It's pretty fun, actually. It said they added sieges in the patch notes but they must not be enabled until the DLC hits. I can't wait for the DLC. Need some more missions, PVP maps, and those charge blades.

Mindlog

My Blur based melee build is ready for charge blades.
Played some more this weekend and finally got to try the Freightyard map. It's pretty fun, actually. It said they added sieges in the patch notes but they must not be enabled until the DLC hits. I can't wait for the DLC. Need some more missions, PVP maps, and those charge blades.
It might be added tomorrow. It's part of some story tie-in. Most people are guessing Volge related.

I have a confession to make. I spawned the Monarch at an emergency. One of the emergencies at the end of the Dodge: Madera race.

I think I did it on purpose.
At least three cars crashed into it and exploded :(
I felt bad.
But it was really funny.

I'm of mixed minds after playing the free weekend. It was entertaining enough for the time I played it, but I'm worried about the potential lack of variety, and the complaints about the game lacking content. Also, of course, there's that Season Pass staring me in the face, and yet most of the development staff has been laid off, to my understanding.

The worst part is, I can see the earmarks for it to become a F2P down the line.

The shooting felt surprisingly good, though, the game made some smart choices and simplifications to get rid of the annoyances (no fall damage, derping around in ATVs and not really having to worry about hitting things, etc), and it is nice to play an M-rated MMO for a change.

I have a confession to make. I spawned the Monarch at an emergency. One of the emergencies at the end of the Dodge: Madera race.

I think I did it on purpose.
At least three cars crashed into it and exploded :(
I felt bad.
But it was really funny.

Had this happen. I made it past the first time, but the second time my car exploded.

Found out you could still run through the gates, and eventually respawn the Charger (but not immediately). That race is way too long for the amount of crap that can randomly be in your way.

Ricker

Alright, I just did that mission, and in the first phase I just let those little smelter dudes come at me, circle around them, pop a bullet in their back, and then mow down he boss. In the second phase, I just continuously moved while mowing him down with my SAW.

Oh, and the new PVP mode is quite nice.

Yeah I know what to do but it's just a bad fight,you get a few seconds to shoot him when you finally get one of those little guys that knock his shield off, then he flips the switch again....still can't do it so I still cant go to SF island...also tried to do the Charger mission this weekend,I have enough Scrips but I am missing reputation...

Top Bottom