• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

NIN90

Is there really no text chat?

EDIT: Okay looks like there is chat but nobody's chatting on these streams. Weird.

smr00

Banned
I hope this ends up a success. I don't want to buy it if no one else will.
It looks like it's selling pretty well and from i hear the pre-order numbers were great.

Not to mention the show got picked up a 2nd season before the first even aired. I am guessing it will stay pretty popular long as they continue to support it. Also what is the deal with the deluxe upgrade? Amazon/GMG says 7 days bonus XP but the official store says 30 days on the upgrade..

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I said screw it and bought it off GMG, decided to take a gamble.

Past 3 years i have been trying to find a MMO that could hold my interest for more than a week and so far SWTOR was the only one that has done that but a part of me wants a 2nd MMO that is different from the conventional MMORPGs (IE SWTOR, Rift, WOW etc).

I watched a few minutes of gameplay and it seems really interesting but what really concerns me is this whole TV/Game tie in where they effect each other.. What if the show gets cancelled? I know it already got renewed for a 2nd season so it's pretty much a lock the game will be supported up until mid 2014 but what about after that? Just worries me. Bleh, i am done playing it safe it's time i take a gamble on a game.

EDIT- Just realized i should of went with the digital deluxe and was going to back to GMG and get it with the 20% coupon but it's saying 7 days XP instead of 30, as where in your account management where you can upgrade it says 30 days. Is the GMG version a typo?

Don't worry about this if the game itself is doing well. Trion have said that if the game does pretty decently and the show dies on its arse they can continue on gamewise no problem as they are independent to a great extent as well. There is no 'suicide pact' one can continue without the other.

smr00

Banned
No graphic options other then low/med/high? The fuck is this? Either i am overlooking something or this has the worst graphical options in the history of video games.

spk

^ lol

Can someone tell me if the AI is as bad as it looks in some of these videos? Even in that 60 minute video some of the enemies just stand still or run right into the player. How much of the combat is shooting bullet sponges for minutes at a time?

^ lol

Can someone tell me if the AI is as bad as it looks in some of these videos? Even in that 60 minute video some of the enemies just stand still or run right into the player. How much of the combat is shooting bullet sponges for minutes at a time?

The AI can be bad during some fights but most times they flank you and use cover.

One question for X360 players.

Does it come with online pass or something like that?

I would like to rent it, but I don't know if I can play it...

Uiki

Really weird problem:

I'm on 360. When I start the game, it asks me to patch...When it's done downloading and checking, the download starts all over again.

Anyone with this problem or it's just me?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Played Beta past the point where I should have been able to for about 20 hours.

Only 2 viable skills out of 4 is pathetic. Some gun variety was nice (Got explosive sticky launchers that split) and dumping with a laser AR/SMG is fun.
Open world everything is basically static and just respawns in place.
PvP is a joke. They probably fixed the insta kill 5 rocket bullshit, but it's bad.

It's basically Borderlands but with less fun, humor, and skill choices.
ATV is awesome though.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

smr00

Banned
^ lol

I am dead serious.

Bloom/Shadow and Blur is not enough. Even when i force AA it does nothing. I feel like i am overlooking something like maybe you have to set them somewhere before you start the game like Witcher 2 or something because i just can't believe someone would release a MMO let alone a PC game with 0 options.

Xander51

Welp, servers are down for a patch. Played a bit on PS3 before that, it definitely has some performance issues but it's playable and there were a ton of people online. No idea how to redeem my rewards for pre-ordering on PSN, but I'm eager to dive back in when the servers come back on.

smr00

Banned
Welp, servers are down for a patch. Played a bit on PS3 before that, it definitely has some performance issues but it's playable and there were a ton of people online. No idea how to redeem my rewards for pre-ordering on PSN, but I'm eager to dive back in when the servers come back on.
Yeah i got booted off while driving around acting dumb.

I don't mind server/performance issues for the first or even second day, it's an MMO and it's par for the course but i will say it's been better then some previous MMO launches.

Xander51

Yeah i got booted off while driving around acting dumb.

I don't mind server/performance issues for the first or even second day, it's an MMO and it's par for the course but i will say it's been better then some previous MMO launches.

Agreed. It's encouraging that the game is up and working and that I was able to play without any major issues. A relief after the launch of Sim City.

I am dead serious.

Bloom/Shadow and Blur is not enough. Even when i force AA it does nothing. I feel like i am overlooking something like maybe you have to set them somewhere before you start the game like Witcher 2 or something because i just can't believe someone would release a MMO let alone a PC game with 0 options.

Those are all of the options.

Effect

Defiance (download) is current $49.99 on Amazon.com. Think I'm going to go with that since I have still have $10 worth of credit left from getting Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

probably getting it tomorrow after watching a few hours of beta gameplay. looks great (IMO) and pretty easy for non MMO people like myself to get into.

I am really digging it. I just have three questions.

Where can I see what level I am?

How do I get bits (whatever the money is) to by vehicles?

Can I go anywhere? Or are the different areas leveled different than I am?

Game is a blast, there is some rubber banding with enemies, but shooting is satisfying. Vehicles are fun , and u have yet to go to a world event

nataku

I am dead serious.

The Custom option is there, but bugged or something. You get no additional options when you select it. It was like that in the beta as well. I'm not sure if the devs have ever responded to it not working.

Effect

Okay I'm downloading the game now. Couldn't pass it up the price in the end I would pay. That and I'm looking forward to the show on SyFy. However if the game ends up not grabbing me I'm only out about $40.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Verdict is that it's a decent MMO that feels a little empty at the moment but is very fun when played with a few friends.

I'm honestly having a great time just playing it by myself and randomly teaming up with folks as missions naturally occur. I love the persistent world in this, one of the best things about it. About 6 - 7 hrs in so far and having a blast.

Looking forward to giving the PvP and CoOp a go as well. Really enjoyed the PvP in the beta, was a blast.

Time for bed now though :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I'm in. Gave in to my impulse buy.
Not entirely sure that my copy will be here before the week ends, but I'm in.

My store didn't get a lot of copies, around 20 total, and sold out immediately. There is interest in this game, I want it to be successful despite not liking it.

M.W.

My store didn't get a lot of copies, around 20 total, and sold out immediately. There is interest in this game, I want it to be successful despite not liking it.

I had mine paid off and they had to search for a copy. Luckily they found one, I would have been pissed. I've installed and am close to DL'ing the 5gb's. I'm on 360 BTW.

Trying to install the game and the launcher is asking for an authenticator code. Where do I find that? When I click the link to explain what it is it doesn't tell me anything.

Edit: Just left it blank and was able to continue if anyone else runs into that.

Joe Molotov

Trying to install the game and the launcher is asking for an authenticator code. Where do I find that? When I click the link to explain what it is it doesn't tell me anything.

Edit: Just left it blank and was able to continue if anyone else runs into that.

The authenticator code is for if you have an authenticator on your account to keep people from hacking it. It's an extra layer of protector, but also an extra little hassle. You're not required to have one.

Really weird problem:

I'm on 360. When I start the game, it asks me to patch...When it's done downloading and checking, the download starts all over again.

Anyone with this problem or it's just me?

I heard this happens if you install the game from the 360 menu. If you did delete that one and install the game from the actual game menu.

M.W.

Still downloading patches anyone know how long the patch process is for 360?

Can't seem to find an answer.

Ok, game did a 5gb install to start, then an hour of patches, now another 2 gb install? WTF is going on here?

I had a great time with this game in beta even with its flaws and it's just as fun now. I can see some of the improvements they made since beta.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
There any way to get a steam copy of the game for the 45 it costs on GMG? If not I'll just buy the non steam edition.

Keep in mind, the game has it's own updater. All you're getting from Steam is the 400k patching client. Might as well just get it anywhere else and manually add Defiance to your Steam game list

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So, a few questions-

I didn't realize that there was a tab to change hairstyle and other things during character creation, so my guy looks like a fool. Is there a way to change your appearance later in the game?

Is it better to sell off unwanted items, or break them down into salvage? What is salvage used for?

And what are these 1,000 salvage "keys" you can buy at supply shops for?

Tobor

Just went through my first Arkfall and completely ran out of ammo for every weapon. I was just jumping around by the end. Lol.

Fun game.

Top Bottom