• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Defiance |OT| If Borderlands was a B2P MMO with a SyFy TV-series half-sister

Yeah, this game definitely fills a niche in the console space. I can see how PC gamer wouldn't care for it though. It's been fun thus far IMO.

Does the 360 version support the microphone? Is it proximity based? I hear no one while playing.

Also, when do co-op instances open up? It shows them as locked right now. I don't remember it being that way in the beta.

Ok I didn't get it yesterday, store didn't have it :/

How does it run on the xbox?
It runs better than it did in Beta. The game definitely isn't a looker by any means though.

It was lagy last night, but I would think that they can fix that. It is the first day of a mmo after all.

Zaph

Just picked up the PC version.

Any recommendations on decent skills/guns combos? Or any beginner tips really.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's quite fun playing with friends on console. For PC there are better games to play IMO.

I'm enjoying it a fuckload on PC as well. There's nothing really like it if you don't like MMOs all that much or at least MMO combat. I'm sure for some there are MMOs that some folks enjoy more but with its fun third person shooter combat this is scratching a very nice itch for me :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Curious about this game..how is everyone liking it so far on PC?

So far I'm having a blast. The one thing I like the most is that I can kick back with my 360 controller, turn on the controller UI (360 button prompts etc) and just play it like the 360 version but with higher framerate and better (for Defiance anyway) graphics.

I also never realised you could make peoples heads explode until last night where I shot someone in the head and it went 'pop' with a big geyser of blood. Very nice :p

I'm getting pretty pissed off with this game's stupid patcher. It just deleted all 11GB that I had downloaded before to start all over. I'm starting to think the game itself isn't even worth all this crap.

Sure it has an inconsistent framerate, fog to hide level loading, bad enemy modeling and not enough "how to" tutorials.

however: most fun I have had with 4 other friends on Xbox live since gears 3 coop. shooting and looting never gets old, tons of missions and bullet sponge "über enemy" moments but most are fun so far, and tons of challenge pseudo-cheevos to do

again: I don't play MMO's but I enjoy what this game is and will ride it out for a few months before the gen dies

Mindlog

A friend tells me the second co-op are is pretty sweet. I needo more ego!

Tier 3 Boxes unlock much better stuff than Tier 2 right? Compared to beta I am swimming in resources.

Showing as #2 seller on Steam but not much talk on GAF. Didn't even seem to be much talk on Steam Forums....

Hoping for some more impression on PC soon.

my question is how will this game hold up until the next gen consoles are released I have a feeling that this game is gonna be spammed with pointless dlc and will be another dropped game that didn't hold up so well an mmo for xbox is a great idea but I feel as if this wont do as well as the hype made it to be

macewank

OK so.. I've got a PC that can run this, and both 360/PS3..

If I'm looking to play, which one should I pick up? I'm looking all over for reviews and I can't find any.. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Also, I'm sure it's been answered but.. are the servers cross platform?

my question is how will this game hold up until the next gen consoles are released I have a feeling that this game is gonna be spammed with pointless dlc and will be another dropped game that didn't hold up so well an mmo for xbox is a great idea but I feel as if this wont do as well as the hype made it to be

I got it to kill time before bigger titles are released.

Orca

The launch trailer got me to look up the song that was playing. Apparently I wasn't the only one - top comment is "Defiance brought me here(no one cares) oh well"

I will say I have been Lag free today and I played for 6 hours in US-, better than servers being down (last night)

edit:360 version as well

Game has some nice vistas.

1600x1200 best resolution.
The game has some edge detect AA that works pretty well too, better than nothing and better than some fxaa garbage.

defiance2013-04-0401-hckj4.png

defiance2013-04-0401-vqk7k.png

defiance2013-04-0401-kmjsz.png

defiance2013-04-0401-cpk76.png

defiance2013-04-0323-31jiu.png

CzarTim

I'm having this weird issue where I cannot login to my Trion account on the web site to apply my steam game code because it wants my authenticator code. The thing is, I've never downloaded the authenticator (according to itunes at least), and only played Rift as a free trial a few years back.

Been sitting in the chat support queue for over an hour :-/

zychi

Banned
I'm having this weird issue where I cannot login to my Trion account on the web site to apply my steam game code because it wants my authenticator code. The thing is, I've never downloaded the authenticator (according to itunes at least), and only played Rift as a free trial a few years back.

Been sitting in the chat support queue for over an hour :-/
I read somewhere earlier you should be able to eave the authenticator part empty and itll pass through. I havent played it yet so im not sure

Mindlog

Ran into my first synergy gun. I'm going to regret picking survivalist aren't I -_-
Had a weird bug where I entered the co-op zone and had to solo the boss. Mission accomplished.

Effect

Okay I'm glad this is buy to play now and not subscription based and that I didn't pay full price. I like it for the most part but I can see how this could get old quickly. Especially with the issues with the menu system. Keep getting disconnected during matches as well.

My plan for this is going to be playing a little here and there. As I like the locations and finding more about the game's world. However I think I'm going to be enjoying the TV show more then playing the game. This is at least my feeling after being able to finally spend a few hours and after the "new game" feeling wore off. Also since I got it at Amazon I'll be getting the $20 to use on the series when it finally comes out and that should hopefully cover all of season 1 that I can watch via my Wii U.

So even if I tire of the game completely I'm not out to much in the end.

smr00

Banned
How safe is that to use on an MMO? Think they've got any overzealous hack detection running in the game yet?
I doubt you would get in trouble, especially considering there has been a thread on the official forums for days now and no one has came out and said that it's not legal.

I use it on every game including WOW and even mods on the official wow forums said it was ok because it doesn't do anything other then make it a little prettier, more vibrant. It's not like you are actually modifying anything in the game giving you any advantages.

WX3

I just picked the game up and upon logging in I get a message saying the service is unavailable or something to that effect. Guess I'll have to do some research on this one. I really wanted to jump into the game too!

EDIT: I guess the North American servers for all platforms are down for emergency maintenance. Guess I'll have to wait to check this one out.

Server down in EU as well, but that is on-par for MMOs the first couple of days.
Trion has been good fixing and patching bugs going by how they've dealt with RIFT, so I'm not too fussed.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
For up to date information as well the Defiance twitter, there's a blog you can follow by the producer I think it is. I can't check right now/post the information from it due to being in work but he goes into detail of what they are doing, fixing etc. Pretty good to be kept up to date.

Played the beta on ps3 and enjoyed it a lot.. Also using the 10$ voucher I got from psn to get another 10 bucks from buying this is pretty sweet xD

Top Bottom