• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

ZeroAKA

When you get to lv
you will get the
whistle skill that allows you to fix your formation when it gets reversed. So once you have that you can put the gazer back in the front.
I just give each character a long-range weapon as back-up so that they don't become completely useless if a random monster flips the formation.

When you get to lv
you will get the
whistle skill that allows you to fix your formation when it gets reversed. So once you have that you can put the gazer back in the front.

I actually just got
whistle
this morning before I got to work, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm guessing that it's not going to help much when a character gets knocked out, right?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I actually just got whistle this morning before I got to work, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I'm guessing that it's not going to help much when a character gets knocked out, right?

Yeah when that happens dont have much of a choice. lol. Just pray whoever from the back that gets dragged to the front doesnt get hit. :D

Yeah when that happens dont have much of a choice. lol. Just pray whoever from the back that gets dragged to the front doesnt get hit. :D

Heh, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Do you think dropping my gazer's damage output by giving him a bow will be really detrimental?

Parakeetman

Heh, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. Do you think dropping my gazer's damage output by giving him a bow will be really detrimental?

Truthfully hes a lot better up front for the most part. But if things get switched and you need him to fall back on the bow gotta make do! lol

I just beat the
mimic
and I'm amazed at those of you that blazed through this game already.

Knowing this takes place in the same world as Students of the Round makes me wish I had been able to play that. It would be cool to see the world before and after

When I completed half the circles in I guess the third 'zone' of the game, I ended up fighting the first 'phase' of
Hermes
and got fucking wrecked so badly that my entire party was seriously dead except for my Demon Gazer who MAGICALLY took barely any damage at all. Also
2fast4me

That ass kicking literally just made me go "NO. FUCK YOU GAME." and then I proceeded to furiously grind and gather equips for like 2-3 hours. Now my entire party is 17/17/17/17/12, with that lone level 12 being my new Ranger. I didn't even realize a lot of my characters were high levels until I fought
the mimic
and fucking destroyed it taking a total of 20 damage and it was all towards my Paladin.

Jindrael

Banned
Just now destroyed Hermes on the first try, Multi-Hit made this fight a cakewalk...at first I couldn't hit at all but after a few multi-hit he was getting damage like crazy :)

Raggie

It's funny how the reviews for this game are all over the place.

From http://nichegamer.net/reviews/demon-gaze-review/

I’ve played nearly every game of this type that has existed since 1986, and I can honestly say that this is the absolute best dungeon crawler I’ve played since 2001’s Wizardy: Tales of the Forsaken Land – and that’s some very high praise, considering that Forsaken Land is one of my all-time favorite games of this type.

Shiina

Should I sell everything that has that "sell to vendors" line in the description? And what should I do with my money at the beginning? Hoard and buy new party members ASAP?
Also does it matter how many of these thingies (one, two or three) I put down on a summon circle?

Parakeetman

Should I sell everything that has that "sell to vendors" line in the description? And what should I do with my money at the beginning? Hoard and buy new party members ASAP?
Also does it matter how many of these thingies (one, two or three) I put down on a summon circle?

The more you put down the stronger the monsters that comes out "can" get.

Yeah hording $$$ to buy new rooms which come with a character already that can be edited is the best route at the start of the game. Some of the items are needed for quest stuff, but there are not too many sub quests that require things I think. Also save at least 3 nameless gems. Or whatever they are called in the US ver, since you will need those.

Heres the cost of rooms info again.

Ok heres the room cost breakdown. When you purchase a new room for rent it comes with a character too which can be taken as is or edited to your liking.

1st Room = Free from game event
2nd Room = 1000G
3rd Room = 5000 G
4th Room = 10,000 G

Making additional characters = 500G. Limit though is 3 and these will be on standby until you swap them with one of your other characters who are currently allocated to a room. Basically breakdown is 4 in rooms, 3 on standby. Total 7.

1) Yes
2) Prioritize getting 4 party members
3) The more items you use, the more likely you will get a tougher battle, but it's not always the case. You could say using more items increases the maximum difficulty, but RNG may still give you a stupid easy battle.

I’ve played nearly every game of this type that has existed since 1986, and I can honestly say that this is the absolute best dungeon crawler I’ve played since 2001’s Wizardy: Tales of the Forsaken Land – and that’s some very high praise, considering that Forsaken Land is one of my all-time favorite games of this type.

I noted last year after playing the import that I hadn't felt this way playing a DRPG since Wizardry 7.
I feel the sales and success of the game are warranted. It's a damn fine title.

Shiina

Thanks you two. I used all five nameless gems on the two story circles. Can you purchase the gems or should I start over?

Thanks you two. I used all five nameless gems on the two story circles. Can you purchase the gems or should I start over?

You can buy them at the item shop. Don't start over. Using nameless gems and then selling the left over equipment is actually the best way to earn money early game.

Parakeetman

Also you can find them at times as a reward from battles. So dont worry about it if you used them up!

Volcynika

I was about to ask about a good way to earn money early game. My plan was to have enough for rent and work on getting a healing staff at least. Then want to get a third party member (I guess a healer) before I try to tackle the initial Mars fight.

Ironjam

Man, Mars is OP as hell, dealing 8-900 dmg/hit constantly. Was fighting
Luna/Lulu
, bracing myself for a tough battle, then Mars 3shot her on the first turn. :lol

Uthred

LE arrived, the box is lovely, the "artbook" is disappointing, the wait was interminable, shouldnt have strayed from digital ;)

Parakeetman

LE arrived, the box is lovely, the "artbook" is disappointing, the wait was interminable, shouldnt have strayed from digital ;)

Considering what you get with the LE version, dont really think folks should be complaining about anything truthfully.

I mean you seriously didnt expect a proper artbook at that price I hope. :)

Was anyone disappointed that you saw the key's models before you fought them?

Yeah, that was a bit disappointing.

I was about to ask about a good way to earn money early game. My plan was to have enough for rent and work on getting a healing staff at least. Then want to get a third party member (I guess a healer) before I try to tackle the initial Mars fight.

If you grind for levels, it shouldn't be an issue really. Just make sure that you stay out long enough to cover rent and make some on top of it, and remember to sell the items that say to in the description.

starting the game today,

any tips for a new player? I am expecting pain already, and will probably roll my own companion instead of taking the default paladin.

Uthred

Considering what you get with the LE version, dont really think folks should be complaining about anything truthfully.

I mean you seriously didnt expect a proper artbook at that price I hope. :)

Yeah obviously not, but I dont think expecting more than a pamphlet was unreasonable, something along the lines of the one that came with Dark Souls:prepare to Die, Final Fantasy X HD, etc. would have been nice. Would have preferred more art and no cd, but ultimately its a minor niggle.

starting the game today,

any tips for a new player? I am expecting pain already, and will probably roll my own companion instead of taking the default paladin.

From a few pages ago:

Not that far yet but:

1. Use multiple saves
2. Grind
3. Some items only use is to be sold (even says so in the description), so sell them
4. Make sure you can cover rent before returning to the inn (not that hard really)
5. Get a healing staff
6. Check the bulletin board

Default pally is really good though!

Shiina

Oops I accidentally used an artifact gem and got the Dual Wield artifact. I've heard you're supposed to not waste the artifact gems because they're limited. Should I reload or is that a good artifact?

Wereroku

Oops I accidentally used an artifact gem and got the Dual Wield artifact. I've heard you're supposed to not waste the artifact gems because they're limited. Should I reload or is that a good artifact?

Dual Wield is a good one to get but I am not sure just how limited they are. Most recommend using them with the +items gems to maximize per gem payouts but it may not be worth it as long as you get the important artifacts. Just keep a save before that just in case.

Parakeetman

Dual Wield is a good one to get but I am not sure just how limited they are. Most recommend using them with the +items gems to maximize per gem payouts but it may not be worth it as long as you get the important artifacts. Just keep a save before that just in case.

They are pretty limited. Also the type of skills you can obtain from circles changes depending on the dungeon you are in. Lower lv dungeon = lower lv skills. Which works for or against you depending on what skill you want.

Indeed save / reset is the way to go to get what you want the first time through.

Wereroku

They are pretty limited. Also the type of skills you can obtain from circles changes depending on the dungeon you are in. Lower lv dungeon = lower lv skills. Which works for or against you depending on what skill you want.

Indeed save / reset is the way to go to get what you want the first time through.

Yeah I think you said it like 30 or 40 gems per play through but would you recommend saving them until you get the item boosters?

Parakeetman

Yeah I think you said it like 30 or 40 gems per play through but would you recommend saving them until you get the item boosters?

Its generally suggested, but that would be for more the perfectionist players I suppose. Seeing how folks here are beating the game without issues, its not really required to do so, just that some folks like having exactly what they want and in the most efficient way possible lol

Though I think if you use the booster dont go sticking in 3 gems. Just put 1 gem, 1 booster. As dont think 1 booster works on 2 gems. Ive always done the 1 + 1 way, which is why dont quote me exactly as gospel for it not working on 2 gems.

Thank you for citing us, I was really happy with how Carl's review came out. While I've only played the game a bit myself, it certain oozes polish and is definitely worth it. I think it's just catering to fans of that genre, and those fans alone, and the people who review it who aren't fans of it generally just aren't happy with it.

Carl, obviously, is an enormous fan of those games lol. I've just been getting into them myself, but I'm already loving 'em!

bradigor

Loving this so far, have just beat
Neptune
and have
demon keys.

Problem is, I have completely forgot where the
chest from Mimic
is. Is anyone able to tell me which map and if possible the X:Y location? Been wandering around for ages :(

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Loving this so far, have just beat
Neptune
and have
demon keys.

Problem is, I have completely forgot where the
chest from Mimic
is. Is anyone able to tell me which map and if possible the X:Y location? Been wandering around for ages :(
Star Curtain (Dark) south of the entrance

I have been teetering pretty rapidly on whether this is mediocre or good. It's like, both.

Anyway, I seem to be stuck on a certain thing that happens right after you capture the second demon. I think I'll go try to grab another level or two and hope for some better equipment drops.

I beat all the demon circles for Mars and took a swing at her. Lost pretty quickly D:
Indeed, the balance (so far, at least) has been really wonky for me.

I'm getting a good feeling that a lot of that has to do with the wild unpredictability of what equipment you are getting early on.

My dynamite team:

F3kNlZc.jpg

Gonna destroy
blue city
tonight!

Parakeetman

My dynamite team:

F3kNlZc.jpg

Gonna destroy
blue city
tonight!

Good luck am sure you will be amused with that dungeon lol

Thank you for citing us, I was really happy with how Carl's review came out. While I've only played the game a bit myself, it certain oozes polish and is definitely worth it. I think it's just catering to fans of that genre, and those fans alone, and the people who review it who aren't fans of it generally just aren't happy with it.

Carl, obviously, is an enormous fan of those games lol. I've just been getting into them myself, but I'm already loving 'em!

Btw indeed would like to add great write up and will be watching your guys site. Since it seems like you folks have the right mindset when it comes to gaming.

Volcynika

Indeed, the balance (so far, at least) has been really wonky for me.

I'm getting a good feeling that a lot of that has to do with the wild unpredictability of what equipment you are getting early on.

Yeah. I just got a healer before tackling her, but her strikes were way too powerful and my Gazer can be killed in two to three hits. May go to the other area and level up a bit while getting new items.

Top Bottom