• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

I can read enough Japanese to get through most stuff mechanically (story, not so much sometimes), Demon Gaze was no problem for example, but I had some trouble with Cross Blood Infinity for a while. It's more complex than Demon Gaze in a lot of ways, more menus, more systems that I never did really figure out. With no knowledge of Japanese I can see someone getting almost nowhere with it. Parakeetman might better be able to offer advice on it that I am.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you want something more to play after Demon Gaze, check out Elminage Original on PSP (PSN version works on Vita). I just bought it the other day to tide me over until Moero Chronicle and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I'm about 14 hrs into Elminage and halfway through Unchained blades.
Guess they will have to hold me over

bradigor

This is freaking me out a bit.

Is there a reason my Gazer would be losing 1HP every step I take around a dungeon? I tried using a 'Cure All' spell, but it has no effect, so not sure what is causing it.

Edit: Never mind, found out why. Will just have to manage it for now.

This is freaking me out a bit.

Is there a reason my Gazer would be losing 1HP every step I take around a dungeon? I tried using a 'Cure All' spell, but it has no effect, so not sure what is causing it.

Edit: Never mind, found out why. Will just have to manage it for now.

You have cursed equipment. You can wear healing undies to negate the damage loss

Healing hat works too, but the mental image of this fighter walking around with healing undies on over his armor is hilarious.

Shiina

Is there a compendium of what all those armor/weapon properties do?

My Assassin just managed to insta-death all enemies right from the start. I'm not sure how that happened.

ZeroAKA

Got through
Astarte
with my level 16 party. I really need to stop playing this and start studying for finals. :/

Is there a compendium of what all those armor/weapon properties do?

My Assassin just managed to insta-death all enemies right from the start. I'm not sure how that happened.
Does your weapon have the "death" status? That randomly OHKOs enemies, I think.

Shiina

Got through
Astarte
with my level 16 party. I really need to stop playing this and start studying for finals. :/

Does your weapon have the "death" status? That randomly OHKOs enemies, I think.

My Samurai has one as of just now. Maybe it was Slash 1 and I didn't notice it was her doing and not my Assassin's.

cj_iwakura

Why not? There's nothing wrong with the design. You should have a full party by the 2nd dungeon anyway.

I don't. I barely have money to pay rent, much less 5000. It's terrible design. If I want to have a full party in a dungeon crawler, I should have the option immediately. Make the enemies harder, don't limit the party.

vocab

Why not? There's nothing wrong with the design. You should have a full party by the end of 2nd dungeon anyway.

I beat the second boss and the following stuff with me and two other party members. Full party? Ya right.

I don't mind it. The only thing I do mind is not being able to spend money freely when saving for the last two party members is more logical.

I don't. I barely have money to pay rent, much less 5000. It's terrible design. If I want to have a full party in a dungeon crawler, I should have the option immediately. Make the enemies harder, don't limit the party.

That's not an argument against the design though, you're just stating your preference.

Uthred

Arguably it also serves as a good introduction to players new to the genre because they dont have as many characters to keep track of.

ZeroAKA

It really isn't that big of a deal. You'll have more money than you can spend pretty soon.

It's a valid complaint when a game goes against the norm. That's the kind of thing a knowledgeable DC reviewer should call out.
I should hope a knowledgeable DC reviewer (whatever that is) knows better than to call design terrible just because it differs from the norm.

cj_iwakura

That's a stupid thing to say. Maybe we should just have one DC developer release an identical game every year to suit your tastes.

There's lots of ways to innovate without limiting a party behind paying extra fees, but I guess I'm the only person who feels that way, so I'll leave it at that.

Noi

I took a peek in here and saw the dread over not being able to
use magic
in
Neptune's
area, but I managed just fine since I got a Healing staff for my Healer. Neptune went down a lot easier than Hermes did!

I didn't find the room renting design to be an issue at all. The only time I felt "crippled" by it was up until I made my third party member a healer, and from then on a 3-man party was competent enough until I got enough money for a fourth after clearing both initial dungeons and a 5th two dungeons after that. If anything it let me focus more on learning what the smaller roster of people can do before adding more of 'em to the mix.

Shengar

Got through
Astarte
How do you able to pull it through? My party is level 16-18, and it still happening ;__;
It's a valid complaint when a game goes against the norm. That's the kind of thing a knowledgeable DC reviewer should call out.

No it is not against the norm. Dungeon Siege II, albeit on different genre also have party restricting and expanding mechanic. Party restriction in Demon Gaze works to not make beginner player feel overwhelmed by numerous options of the party. The early game is doable with only just limited party number as the game neatly designed to fit with it. Besides, you should be able to purchase the next rooms with minimal grinding except for the last one where you actually need grind it, but again the grind it's not too bad. Besides, your rented room able to house stats-increasing furniture so it's clearly there for a reason not just to piss you off.

ZeroAKA

How do you able to pull it through? My party is level 16-18, and it still happening ;__;
I used Demon Rage with Mars immediately and focused mostly on Gazer Heart + Terra Bane the rest of the time. There was some luck involved, but it worked out in the end.

ZeroAKA

Anyone died during that battle or you managed to leave full intact?
Only my main character and healer survived. I was only at default (cool?) difficulty though, which might have made it easier for me than a lot of the more hardcore dungeon-crawler fans in here. :p

Razma1

6 hours into grinding for
Muramasa and working on Dark Aries and Quasar. Gotta love when Aries does that random 4k damage attack that may or may not wipe you.

I can't for the life of me defeat the first boss after getting all 10 demons. He isn't very strong at all, but he pretty much fully heals himself after every two turns. There's no way I could ever do enough damage to outpace his healing. what do

Finally defeated him. Just trying the same old strategy long enough did the trick!

Now that I'm closing in on the end and am right before the fight with
the Archangel
I wonder if there's any trophy-related stuff I have to look out for or if there's a post-game where I can do everything.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Finally defeated him. Just trying the same old strategy long enough did the trick!

Now that I'm closing in on to the end and right before the fight with
the Archangel
I wonder if there's any trophy-related stuff I have to look out for or if there's a post-game where I can do everything.
You can do everything in the post game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

No its what a narrow minded person who thinks everything should be designed a specific way would think.

Seriously dont be a disgrace to the community.

I think it's related to the Cross Blood series so not really cyberpunk, but more futuristic scifi.

Its based off the Generation Xth series, which is where Cross Blood comes from.

Razma1

How long and how hard to platinum the game?

About to plat it once I find 2 items @ 50 hours atm. I would say once I understood the basics only 4 bosses took more then 1 attempt 1 being postgame and 1 being a surpise on how strong it was.

Was AFK for some time on it so time might be a little over estimate. Had fun the whole time.

Jindrael

Banned
Astarte down without anybody dying :)

I get so much exp in
Grimodar Castle
after Astarte my team was roughly the same as the one I posted on the last page but after only half an hour in the
Castle
my party is lvl 18.

The funny thing is nothing in the
Castle
can really hurt my frontline everybody has at least 75 Armor (my paladin has 135), right now I feel slightly overpowered, just defeated the
undying
without anybody getting damage in like 5 rounds.

The (presumably) last boss is a little tougher than I can handle right now. Seems like a long fight, mostly manageable, but once he somehow manages to kill one of my dudes it completely ruins my rhythm and I can't seem to recover from that.
More grinding, I suppose. :I

bradigor

Oh man... I don't know how I did it but I beat
Astarte
with just one member of my party surviving.

I let out a cheer and proper arm pump in celebration. THAT FELT GREAT!!!

Jindrael

Banned
Meanwhile I barely make it alive with level 19 Paladin and Enraged Mars D:
I'm bad at this game :(

I actually don't know why but my team is really really strong, up to this point I never had to try a boss more than three times and I'm playing on "Warm"-difficulty.
And I don't think I'm playing especially good or something.

The first fight against Astarte I had bad luck and everyone died except my Paladin but because I had the Neptune Heal buff my Pala just couldn't die, after 2-3 minutes it was finally over.

I don't know if my gear is just good or what it is but my party takes almost no damage and deals absurd amounts of damage, my gazer was hitting Astarte for 250x3 damage with Terrabane and my range is doing constant 200-300 hits.

Top Bottom