• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon Gaze |OT| Even heroes have to pay rent

Dunno if this thread still has subscribers but I figure I probably should ask questions here rather than clutter up the PSN thread...

Is it normal that the Wizard is completely useless for non-boss fights before level 7? I see that at level 7 it gains a no-cost attack spell, but so far with no way to restore MP there is literally nothing I can have my Wizard do in normal battles but just defend.

Or have I missed a way to regenerate MP somewhere? My Healer regenerates MP but I don't see an equivalent passive skill in the Wizard's skill list...

If I remember some items restore MP and you can always return to the mansion to recover.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Or have I missed a way to regenerate MP somewhere? My Healer regenerates MP but I don't see an equivalent passive skill in the Wizard's skill list...

Thats because the Wizard doesnt have a passive regen skill.

You will need to find artifacts that give you the MP I or II regen skill which is a healer skill if you want the same ability.

Dont expect to use the Wizard all the time in battle. MP is limited for a reason. Sure it may take up a party slot now, but later on its fairly useful.

antibolo

Banned
Thats because the Wizard doesnt have a passive regen skill.

Yeah, I get that, but doesn't that make the class next to worthless? Am I missing something here?

You will need to find artifacts that give you the MP I or II regen skill which is a healer skill if you want the same ability.

How would I "find" those artifacts? Just random luck from the artifact gems? What are the odds of that happening??

It just seems like bad game design to have a class that can't do anything early on.

Parakeetman

Yeah, I get that, but doesn't that make the class next to worthless? Am I missing something here?

How would I "find" those artifacts? Just random luck from the artifact gems? What are the odds of that happening??

Basically its random luck which is why you will have to save / reload. Also what skills can come out depends on the dungeon you are in. You will need to look up info for that. Am not sure what kind of English wikis are out there.

Dont waste the artifact gems either as they are limited in numbers, which brings us back to the whole save and reload thing till you get what you want.

Its just that you are not used to these sorts of games as otherwise you would be familiar that mages in general are not meant to be used every single battle. But not having one at times = bad due to physical resistant enemies. Though in Demon Gaze never found it as much of an issue vs like other related titles. They also get fairly useful skills later on. Which you can also confirm on that google docs page, faster than messing around with it in game.

Here use this and click on artifacts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jzvOrGDv6_3Sh9p6KG9LdO4pKPGioPhPvQFyoxEJ78o/htmlview#

Mana recovery Ⅰ

MP recovers as you walk. Recovery frequency is based on MYS. Star Curtain

Grimodar Castle
Black Cage - Chronos' Cage

As you can see though unless you have MYS up to a reasonable level its not that it will help you a ton as the regen time will be fairly slow. It regens in increments and you will normally hear some weird chime when you know the skill went off. Which is what you might be hearing already with your healer.

These types of games takes some folks to get used to at the start mainly because you do not feel exactly powerful and such. Also as with your situation here folks feel it is unusual that casters do not take a constant role either with having them sit around a lot early on. So just keep that in mind, but rest assured a mage is most def worth it once you level it up.

Other maniacs who are new to the genre like Q (usually hangs out in fighting game threads) went and totally destroyed multiple bosses with his samurai + rampage pick up pretty fast on the mechanics and do well.

antibolo

Banned
I already used all my artifact gems been given to me so far, I assumed it would be useful to fill up all my characters' slots asap. And I didn't know the random drop was location based.

In any case abusing save/load for random drop sounds like a total pain, and not my idea of a fun time with a game. I guess I'll do without that skill. At least my Wizard is now level 6, so I shouldn't have to wait much longer before I can do something else than Defend.

But my biggest problem at the moment is that I have one remaining circle for Chronos and I can't find it. What the hell?

Parakeetman

I already used all my artifact gems been given to me so far, I assumed it would be useful to fill up all my characters' slots asap. And I didn't know the random drop was location based.

In any case abusing save/load for random drop sounds like a total pain, and not my idea of a fun time with a game. I guess I'll do without that skill. At least my Wizard is now level 6, so I shouldn't have to wait much longer before I can do something else than Defend.

Play it how you want, just dont be surprised when you wind up with totally useless artifacts on occasion (useless in the sense that whatever was dropped does not match your playstyle / have any use). Its not actually that time consuming really doing the save / reload and makes things easier for you in the long run.

Also am sure others told you this but once again DO NOT SELL RARE ITEMS. As you will never get another one in your first playthrough.

You can tell what a rare item is by the Letter rating icon is a gold star mark I think it was.

antibolo

Banned
Uh what the hell, I just pulverized Chronos while she barely did anything (my paladin took like 30 damage and that's it).

There was definitely something wrong with my early party build when I faced Mars and had so much trouble.

Parakeetman

Uh what the hell, I just pulverized Chronos while she barely did anything (my paladin took like 30 damage and that's it).

There was definitely something wrong with my early party build when I faced Mars and had so much trouble.

not really as mars is far more dangerous than chronos.

antibolo

Banned
Is there any point in combining Bronze/Silver/Gold gems with an Artifact gem? Doesn't seem to give me higher grade artifacts at all...

Parakeetman

Is there any point in combining Bronze/Silver/Gold gems with an Artifact gem? Doesn't seem to give me higher grade artifacts at all...

Early on dont bother wasting them. Its more meant for later in the game. All it does is up the invisible loot table value which increases the chance of better stuff getting dropped. For the most part you dont really need to worry about using them.

Audioboxer

My copy from Play-Asia just arrived. Picked up the Global Edition as it was on sale and says it comes with English (it better lol).

Also got a physical copy of Drakengard 3.

jonno394

Really enjoying this game. Tough at times and reminds me of a Souls game!

getting my arse kicked in the hermes area by the Venus fly trap looking things that cause sleep. Died in the first encounter of the area two times in a row :/

jonno394

just beat
Astarte
upon going to the Castle for the first time. Took me about five or six attempts. Lost a good 45 minutes of levelling up with the first defeat because I forgot to save beforehand and couldn't be arsed to redo all that so each fight thereafter I was at least one level below What I was that first time.

Really enjoying this game. Definitely gonna put some serious thought into buying tokyo abyss now.

cj_iwakura

What in the fresh hell. I have never fought a more irritating final boss, EVER. Neither it nor his fricking summons ever stop auto-healing, and I can't do enough damage to keep up. They constantly cast their debuffs with perfect timing to the point where I run out of MP.

To hell with that.

cj_iwakura

Beaten, thank god. The back row exploit worked wonders. Put Paladin in the back, everyone in the front. Then when the boss swaps, it's how you want it, and no need to keep Whistle active.

Providence/Quad Element Dual Cast/Mars Rage/Jupiter Rage = ash in three turns. Oh, and with lots of buffs.

My thoughts on DG overall:

Pros:
Lots of variety in party builds. Love the skills and classes.
Battles are lightning fast. Every DC should have this feature.
Great dungeon variety, solid music(not fricking ambient effects).
Awesome demon designs.

Cons
Story is decent-okay with a few nice moments. I liked the MC and Manager's relationship, at least.
Uber creepy fan service elements. I was reluctant to play this at work on more than one occasion.

I'm sure Tokyo Abyss will fix all my gripes, so I can't wait. I know from playing Gen Xth how good Tokyo Abyss is.

Parakeetman

Is there a noob friendly choice? Just want to enjoy the game.

Starting the game, default what the game gives you.

When you buy new rooms, just accept the default characters. You should be able to clear the game with that for the most part.

cj_iwakura

Starting the game, default what the game gives you.

When you buy new rooms, just accept the default characters. You should be able to clear the game with that for the most part.

No chance in hell. You will need to strategize to have a chance in the end game. That boss was absolute nonsense.

You will absolutely NEED a Priest/Healer. I suggest Warrior/Paladin | Samurai/Priest/Wizard, but you do have some breathing room. Experiment and go with what works.

Parakeetman

No chance in hell. You will need to strategize to have a chance in the end game. That boss was absolute nonsense.

You will absolutely NEED a Priest/Healer. I suggest Warrior/Paladin | Samurai/Priest/Wizard, but you do have some breathing room. Experiment and go with what works.

if you are shit at the game maybe

considering the game gives you pretty much a paladin healer and mage all thats left is whatever you want as the last class

cj_iwakura

if you are shit at the game maybe

considering the game gives you pretty much a paladin healer and mage all thats left is whatever you want as the last class

Did you even beat the game? Jesus. The monster debuffs, switches your formations, heals, and keeps summoning demons. You're crazy if you think it was easy.

Parakeetman

also check the link below should have lots of info in there for you. was in the OT.

the ideal stats build section is important to look at along with the general stats information itself. since one thing you do not want to do is go putting stats points in wrong.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jzvOrGDv6_3Sh9p6KG9LdO4pKPGioPhPvQFyoxEJ78o/htmlview#

other info to look through for if you get stuck with something.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/688105-demon-gaze/faqs/70068

other build info
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688105-demon-gaze/69053340

Audioboxer

also check the link below should have lots of info in there for you. was in the OT.

the ideal stats build section is important to look at along with the general stats information itself. since one thing you do not want to do is go putting stats points in wrong.

other info to look through for if you get stuck with something.

other build info
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/688105-demon-gaze/69053340

Thanks!

ultra7k

Started this game on the weekend and I'm having an absolute blast.

Just defeated the Mimic (holy, I thought that would never end...)

On to Hermes!

ultra7k

haha interesting fight though eh? :D

Yeah it was fun, then I wrecked it.

Just beat Hermes on my lunch break. Compared to the Mimic, he was a cake walk. This game is too much fun. Can't wait for Operation Abyss!

So are there any specific gems I should hoard, or use very sparingly?

Parakeetman

Yeah it was fun, then I wrecked it.

Just beat Hermes on my lunch break. Compared to the Mimic, he was a cake walk. This game is too much fun. Can't wait for Operation Abyss!

So are there any specific gems I should hoard, or use very sparingly?

The artifact gems you might want to savescum till you get the specific skills that you want. Since the skills (level of the skills) are separated by the dungeons. So if you are looking for a particular one you should go look up the info on which dungeon its located at. Reason why you do not want to waste those is that there is a set number that you can obtain through a single playthrough.

Also those bronze silver gold? gems you might want to save those for endgame as it will help your chance of getting more rare items. Though there is a bug with the game that if you use too many of the gold ones at once you can cause a the value to reset therefore negating the effect of the gems. Dont think they patched that issue. Its something thats existed since the JP version and was still in the global edition in Japan which means its in the US version too as thats what the global edition was. Though for the most part unless you are really trying to calculate and aim for stuff you dont have to worry about it too much. As its pretty condition specific.

Zhao_Yun

Started the game a week ago and am enjoying it a lot. At the moment my party consists of Gazer/Paladin/Healer and Assassin and I just got enough money to buy a 5th room. I was thinking of getting another member for my backline but I can't decide between Ranger and Wizard. As far as I've read the Wizard has more of a support role and is quite a late bloomer whereas the Ranger is better in the beginning but falls off at the end. What would you guys roll with?

Parakeetman

Started the game a week ago and am enjoying it a lot. At the moment my party consists of Gazer/Paladin/Healer and Assassin and I just got enough money to buy a 5th room. I was thinking of getting another member for my backline but I can't decide between Ranger and Wizard. As far as I've read the Wizard has more of a support role and is quite a late bloomer whereas the Ranger is better in the beginning but falls off at the end. What would you guys roll with?

If you want straight out right damage a ranger. But for something to use more later on esp with multiple targets a Wizard. Though there will be a section of the game where
magic becomes unusable in the underwater dungeon
so there is that to consider with one part of the game.

Zhao_Yun

If you want straight out right damage a ranger. But for something to use more later on esp with multiple targets a Wizard. Though there will be a section of the game where
magic becomes unusable in the underwater dungeon
so there is that to consider with one part of the game.

Decided to roll with a Ranger. Let's see how well this goes.

Ok I seemed to have hit a brick wall in terms of pregression. I just defeated Neptune and stuck on the next boss. Game has been fairly straightforward up to this point but this battle seems impossible even on easy. The jump in difficulty is ridiculous and off putting.

The boss I'm stuck on is the one when you use the item at the inn entrance and get teleported to the fight straight away.

She kills me in a few hits wtf? I'm level 15 ish with my characters. Gazer, paladin, samurai, archer and healer. Any advice?

Parakeetman

Ok I seemed to have hit a brick wall in terms of pregression. I just defeated Neptune and stuck on the next boss. Game has been fairly straightforward up to this point but this battle seems impossible even on easy. The jump in difficulty is ridiculous and off putting.

The boss I'm stuck on is the one when you use the item at the inn entrance and get teleported to the fight straight away.

She kills me in a few hits wtf? I'm level 15 ish with my characters. Gazer, paladin, samurai, archer and healer. Any advice?

2 things you can do 1 is lower the games difficulty or level up more. Since I dont remember too much at this point, looked up info and other folks had issues also. Following from Gfaqs.

This is one of most hated bosses in all the game as it is a broken boss and
extremely hated by all on the FORUMS I checked. Lucky for you im here and im
going to tell you how to beat her with ease.

[1] You want to cast HEALING SHOWER right away with NEPTUNE, have your GAZER,
FIGHTER and RANGER use CONCENTRATE if you have a FIGHTER and RANGER, then have
for PALADIN use DEVOTION and have your HEALER cast DIVINE ARMOR and itself and
then members with weak defense, if you have it, if not then use MULTI-HIT as
it is really hard to hit her [You need at least 50% ACCURACY]

[2] Then summon a DEMON to block her SOUL GAZE as if hits you then your GAZER
is completely useless, then you want to constantly use TERRA BANE, HOLY CHARGE
and HOLY SHIELD to attack her, also you have to deal with her healing every 3
turns.

She has 4 attacks which are mostly magic based;

EVIL BOLT: A single attack not much to worry about
EVIL BLAST: An all attack that hits everyone including the BACKROW so be
careful
EVIL WAVE: Like BLAST except only hits the FRONT ROW
POSITION CHANGE: She will constantly try and do this to you, make sure you
WHISTLE to avoid getting defeated.

Also you need to know that this place is extremely strong and will die really
easily no matter what difficulty you play on, I suggest you go train in STAR
CURTAIN and get some good gear before coming back, if you want to brave this
place without the proper level and gear go ahead but be warned, be prepared to
die a lot.

Zhao_Yun

She hits quite hard but I thought the fight was still okay. My party was around your level but my Gazer was already at Lv 16 where he learns Demon Rage. Demon Rage is quite convinient for this fight since Mars in Rage Mode does huge amounts of damage. Other than that my Gazer kept whistling or Terra Baning while I used Devotion on my Paladin all the time. The first times I beat her at least one of my party members died. When I finally cleared it with all party members alive I was a bit lucky with her attack rotation.

Parakeetman

Ok I finally bought this thanks to the PS sale. Any tips for this game and for someone new to this genre?

Game might start off a little difficult for those new to the genre due to the low number of starting party members. First thing you should do once you make it to the first real dungeon is build up $$$ and equipment from the summoning circles. Then get a third party member by renting a new room which will come with a pre-set character or you can change it to another class if you want.

Outside of the main character, the first preset character you will get for free is a Paladin, though you can change it if you want. But for someone new to the genre do suggest using a Paladin as it is the tank of the game.

The third pre-set character will start off as a healer I think, but what people pick for their third choice varies depending on tastes / playstyle. If you want to go with the standard all round party then keeping the healer is a good general choice.

Also be sure to save often.

That and look through this. Since you will want to know about the stats and whatnots since those are important for knowing what to raise for your characters and not gimp your own character by putting points into a stat you dont need.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jzvOrGDv6_3Sh9p6KG9LdO4pKPGioPhPvQFyoxEJ78o/htmlview
Two important things to remember is
4. Artifact gems are RARE/LIMITED (34 per playthrough); do not sell them by accident. Combo w/ Increase Gems + save scum the results to get what you want.
*taken from that doc

Other thing to remember is with unique items, if you sell them by accident you will not get another one with that current playthrough. You will be able to identify it by the section of the item info that shows the letter grade of the item the icon will be a star. Just be sure to not sell those by accident once again.

Heres a gfaqs link also. Should help if you are stuck in particular areas.

She hits quite hard but I thought the fight was still okay. My party was around your level but my Gazer was already at Lv 16 where he learns Demon Rage. Demon Rage is quite convinient for this fight since Mars in Rage Mode does huge amounts of damage. Other than that my Gazer kept whistling or Terra Baning while I used Devotion on my Paladin all the time. The first times I beat her at least one of my party members died. When I finally cleared it with all party members alive I was a bit lucky with her attack rotation.

I always hate it when a party member dies during a boss fight since it throws the whole exp gaining out of wack lol.

Ken

Ok, I got Chrono but apparently, according to the Gamefaq guide I should be level 12 before going back to the inn for the story boss fight?? My paladin and healer are only level 8 and 7, respectively. :x

Nvm lol that was easy

Tizoc

Well I seem to have gotten a hang of the game now that I have 4 characters
Gazer+Fighter+Samurai+Ranger
Gonna get me a Healer soon then re-explore Hermes' domain as I went through it without Comet :V

If Hermes proves too strong, I'll just go through Pluto's domain.

BTW, on average what will be my max level by the end of the game?

Parakeetman

Well I seem to have gotten a hang of the game now that I have 4 characters
Gazer+Fighter+Samurai+Ranger
Gonna get me a Healer soon then re-explore Hermes' domain as I went through it without Comet :V

If Hermes proves too strong, I'll just go through Pluto's domain.

BTW, on average what will be my max level by the end of the game?

mid to high 30s.

Tizoc

Never in my life have I ever wanted a jrpg to have a higher encounter rate than I have with this game.
I just want to get 1 extra level, geez....

Parakeetman

Never in my life have I ever wanted a jrpg to have a higher encounter rate than I have with this game.
I just want to get 1 extra level, geez....

I cant remember if Demon Gaze had a skill that increased the encounter rate, since some of their other games do.

But the game does have the summoning circles which can also be used to level as long as you have a steady supply of gems to constantly throw down.

Hmm just looked through the skill list yeah does not seem like DG has it. Other games there are skills to increase or decrease the encounter rate.

Tizoc

That reminds me...sometimes when a character levels up one of their stats would read +2.
Do I still have to put a point into that one for it to increase or is that applied either way? Cuz I swear my Ranger's stats were human meaning all base stats start at 9, and I've been putting points into STR whenever I level up because I see that +2 there and just assume it is applied.

...but when I go check their stats via the menu it's like only 1 stat ever increased when they level up >_>;

Zhao_Yun

That reminds me...sometimes when a character levels up one of their stats would read +2.
Do I still have to put a point into that one for it to increase or is that applied either way? Cuz I swear my Ranger's stats were human meaning all base stats start at 9, and I've been putting points into STR whenever I level up because I see that +2 there and just assume it is applied.

...but when I go check their stats via the menu it's like only 1 stat ever increased when they level up >_>;

the + signs mean, that they are getting stat bonuses from either gear or furniture. The number in front of the + is the "real" value of your stats without gear and furniture.

Tizoc

This is some BS. Just GETTING to the Mimic's location was irritating, now I have to go BACK to the Inn, talk to characters, then go BACK to the Mimic's location?

BTW where do I get Mushrooms and Skulls?

Parakeetman

This is some BS. Just GETTING to the Mimic's location was irritating, now I have to go BACK to the Inn, talk to characters, then go BACK to the Mimic's location?

BTW where do I get Mushrooms and Skulls?

not sure if the google doc has it but check that as all the locations are hidden and require you to kick walls where they are located at. might be via x y coordinates if tge doc has it.

Top Bottom